Blofeld : Did you want him to escape from Bond,in the helicopter ? And what next ? (SP)

edited March 2018 in SPECTRE Posts: 19,339
From the very first time I saw SP,in Luton,on the UK Nationwide opening night,last October,watching the final scene of Blofeld in the helicopter,hovering next to the MI6 building looking in on Bond trying to find Madeleine,suddenly i heard a little voice in my head willing Blofeld to fly off, and get away, and defy Bond.

This is the first time I have willed on a villain to escape from Bond's clutches.

Then comes the boat chasing the helicopter scene,where again I was willing Blofeld to get away,as I thought it would be a very good,original ending for the film, and reinforces the 'arch-enemy' relationship Bond and Blofeld have.

But,alas,Bond (in SuperBond mode) shoots down the helicopter and the rest is history.

So my question is this ?

How do you feel about that scene, and,deep down,were you rooting for Blofeld to get away ?..would it have made the end of SP more satisfying ?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Strange, I was thinking the same. I was hoping he'd get away as that would set up the next film and still have Blofeld at large, making for an interesting ending.

Still as it is Blofeld is still alive and surely no prison could hold such a master criminal. I'm sure if Craig does another film then we'll see him back. If not then it's a complete waste of the character if he's not used again.

I liked Waltz as Blofeld and there is the potential to make the character even better in the next film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Blofeld got away. He wasn't killed by Bond, but humiliated.
    That ending is perfect.
    Blofeld will undoubtedly escape, does anybody really think Blofeld is now in prison for the next ten years...
  • I wanted him to escape from the movie entirely. Alas, such was not to occur...
    Sorry to sound grumpy but I didn't really care. I had no "engagement" with Blofeld so, on that basis, the stakes were low.
    I know why they did it: they wanted a complete, unambiguous victory for Bond and yet have his nemesis survive. So he had to be captured.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    It's a terrible ending and leaves them nowhere to go but have the cliche of Blofeld escaping from prison.

If they don't kill him on the bridge then we all know Blofeld is coming back so if he doesn't escape now it means you have to waste time in the next film having him escape.

I could have happily lived with Bond doing his super shooting thing and, as the helicopter goes down and we all think Bond has triumphed, at the last second a calm and cool Blofeld presses a few buttons and a little pod with Bathosub written on the side drops into the Thames and whizzes away. It would been somewhat cheesy but then so is the cat, the scar, the crater base but it would have got us out of the hole we are in now and, more crucially, would have made us take Blofeld seriously as an opponent rather than a bloke pathetically crawling along the floor with no plan B when things start to go against him.

Blofeld should be too clever to just get his helicopter shot down, however freakishly lucky that shot is.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    the last second a calm and cool Blofeld presses a few buttons and a little pod with Bathosub written on the side drops into the Thames and whizzes away

That would be both equally cheesy and awesome.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    I couldnt put that better myself Wizard...i felt it was demeaning to have a character like Blofeld,after the meeting and 'press one button the whole room stands up ,full of Spectre operatives' and the feeling that Bond is seriously up against it,ending up crawling along a road...a shit advert for new Bond fans...lets be honest ,they will be thinking 'is that all Blofeld is ' ?...well...Bond gets drilled,the contraption conveniently opens up when the watch explodes,and he takes out about 7 men only before he escapes..where is Spectre ???...for me Quantum held more fear and THAT is wrong...
    royale65 wrote: »
    the last second a calm and cool Blofeld presses a few buttons and a little pod with Bathosub written on the side drops into the Thames and whizzes away

That would be both equally cheesy and awesome.

I agree. If that had happened in the cinema I'd have had a big grin on my face at the time but I'd probably be on here slagging it off here now!! Perhaps having 'Bathosub' written on it is a step too far? Maybe just BSub in some cool font and us proper fans know what it means?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I couldnt put that better myself Wizard...i felt it was demeaning to have a character like Blofeld,after the meeting and 'press one button the whole room stands up ,full of Spectre operatives' and the feeling that Bond is seriously up against it crawling along a road...a shit advert for new Bond fans...lets be honest ,they will be thinking 'is that all Blofeld is ' ?...well...Bond gets drilled,the contraption conveniently opens up when the watch explodes,and he takes out about 7 men only before he escapes..where is Spectre ???...for me Quantum held more fear and THAT is wrong...

Yeah. At the start Blofeld has this ominous presence and power (getting the lackey to move his microphone a bit nearer is a stroke of brilliance by Mendes) but then he just ends up whining about how daddy didnt love him and by the final scene he is gallivanting around London with just a pilot and a Stephen Merchant impersonator as back up. Even Greene had a bigger team to go and meet Medrano. OK Elvis with a gun is hardly much of a threat but its more than Ernst took with him.

Jesus when Blofeld is at the height of his powers sitting safely in his volcano in YOLT he still has Hans standing next to him at all times just in case. And when things go tits up he has crater guns and a volcano eruption up his sleeve. But in SP he has nothing. Just sits there with a bloke who looks like he is manager of a Radisson, totally helpless, with doing his seatbelt up the only thing in his locker.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @TheWizardOfIce - Nah, you have to go for the whole bleeding hog. You have the crater base, the cat, the over elaborate torture device. If you gone that far, you just as well have Bathosub emblazoned on the side. And the Spectre goons should have been in colour coordinated boiler suits, to boot.
    I know....nothing i can say,i agree @TheWizardOfIce ,....in fact compared to Silva and especially Greene ,Blofeld is all mouth and no trousers...talks the talk ,shows off the compound and proves himself to be a totally average villain .....its why i cant raise SP above #9 on my list ,and thats based on the rest of the film ,not Blofeld.
    If you are going to keep Blofeld hidden for 3/4 of the film then back up the mysterious presence ...it has to count ...basically Blofeld now is the same as any other Bond villain,no more important.
    Basically...if Blofeld went away casually in the helicopter ,then that showed a new audience that he is not the average Bond villain.....
    royale65 wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce - Nah, you have to go for the whole bleeding hog. You have the crater base, the cat, the over elaborate torture device. If you gone that far, you just as well have Bathosub emblazoned on the side. And the Spectre goons should have been in colour coordinated boiler suits, to boot.

Fair enough. I'm in.

How about a line about how, as boys, they used to go and get Soldat for lunch from Hannes Oberhauser's delicatessen in stainless steel?

(That's actually a superb reference if you know your Fleming)
    I just wanted the movie to end.
    Ow !! @milovy....but to be fair,its amazing what Craig did in 1 film re 100% being shown to be capturing Blofeld ,compared to Lazenby failing once and Connery twice....(not including the FYEO spoof) ,does piss me off - Blofeld needed to get away in that helicopter,it would have boosted the series and shown that Bond doesnt always win to a new generation of viewers ...a wasted opportunity..
    Ow !! @milovy....but to be fair,its amazing what Craig did in 1 film re 100% being shown to be capturing Blofeld ,compared to Lazenby failing once and Connery twice....(not including the FYEO spoof) ,does piss me off - Blofeld needed to get away in that helicopter,it would have boosted the series and shown that Bond doesnt always win to a new generation of viewers ...a wasted opportunity..

Although he didn't especially win at the end of CR.
    No ,but he did catch the villain,once again....
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I wished they'd never gone back to London for the big climax.

They should have beefed up the morocco segment, P&W & Mendes seemed obsessed with evoking the past, the potential for a big battle finale ala YOLT ( the film) was there.

I would have had Bond tussle with ESB, Bond would get the idea he killed Ernst but as we all know he didn't and he lives to fight another day. Bond would have foiled the scheme and Nine Eyes would have been taken down and this aspect of SPECTRE's plan would be over but ESB would be in the shadows ready to strike when EON decided to use him again.

Instead of the rubbish we got and Blofeld being downed with one bullet and taken to the slammer, worst ending the Craig era and possibly one of the worst of the series.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I wished they'd never gone back to London for the big climax.

They should have beefed up the morocco segment, P&W & Mendes seemed obsessed with evoking the past, the potential for a big battle finale ala YOLT ( the film) was there.

I would have had Bond tussle with ESB, Bond would get the idea he killed Ernst but as we all know he didn't and he lives to fight another day. Bond would have foiled the scheme and Nine Eyes would have been taken down and this aspect of SPECTRE's plan would be over but ESB would be in the shadows ready to strike when EON decided to use him again.

Instead of the rubbish we got and Blofeld being downed with one bullet and taken to the slammer, worst ending the Craig era and possibly one of the worst of the series.

Yes indeed.

Much as I find the smartblood an awful notion, once they knew where Bond was how about we cut back to a Hercules and Ralph briefing the other 00s.

'I know we've been shut down by C and what I'm asking you to do has no basis in law but SPECTRE is an insidious evil about to put this nation in the gravest peril. One of our own - 007 - is out there and he's in trouble. I'm afraid we are the only ones who can stop it. We have no authority. None. But who's with me?'

Then the camera pans along the line of 00s played by Idris Elba, Damian Lewis, Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman and CGI versions of (done by ILM not the twats who did DAD) Sean, George, Rog, Tim and Pierce in their prime.

They all nod.

'Then gentlemen; for England.'

They all jump, including Ralph.

(We cut to Rory trying to stop the papers blowing away a la M in TLD)

The 00s land in the crater and we get a battle royale with SPECTRE goons in boiler suits.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I suppose Blofeld being captured was a bit of a compromise. If SP ends up being Dan's last film, then this provides some sort of closure to the Craig era. If not, then they can bring him back for the next one. Neither option is satisfying though.
    vzok wrote: »

Although he didn't especially win at the end of CR.

...Or SF. And QOS' victory was bittersweet. Hence why they had Blofeld captured: to give one complete, unambiguous victory for Craig's Bond.
    pachazo wrote: »
    I suppose Blofeld being captured was a bit of a compromise. If SP ends up being Dan's last film, then this provides some sort of closure to the Craig era. If not, then they can bring him back for the next one. Neither option is satisfying though.

Wasn't this what Sam Mendes said he was doing? Leaving options open for the next film. Yet it seems to have had the absolute opposite effect.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    vzok wrote: »
    pachazo wrote: »

Wasn't this what Sam Mendes said he was doing? Leaving options open for the next film. Yet it seems to have had the absolute opposite effect.
    It was definitely a hedge, but a poorly executed one by the looks of people's opinion on it.
    Just out of interest,to the members on here who arnt particularly impressed with SP,how much would more would you,personally,have liked the film,if Blofeld DID get away,as opposed to lying like a dying seal on the road ?
    Or does it make no difference to how you see it ?
    Just out of interest,to the members on here who arnt particularly impressed with SP,how much would more would you,personally,have liked the film,if Blofeld DID get away,as opposed to lying like a dying seal on the road ?
    Or does it make no difference to how you see it ?

It would have been better. It certainly wouldn't have turned it into a masterpiece but every little error corrected would improve the film.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Oberhauser should have won.
    I think we would all be sitting here a lot happier if Blofeld escaped.Then Bond 25 would not be backed into the corner it finds itself in now,and the idea of a stand-alone,mission based Bond25 now seems less likely.

If Blofeld had got away it would have shown a new generation of Bond fans that he can lose,sometimes the villain CAN get away,and this would have elevated Blofeld up to the super-villain and arch-enemy he should be.

Also then,they could have made Bond25 a new stand-alone mission film,and reintroduced Blofeld whenever.
    Maybe Waltz wouldn't be free or would not want to play the role but that's no problem,Blofeld has always had a different face in each film.

But,alas,because he was caught and made to look stupid and weak,he is now just another villain,and Bond 25 looks like it will have to be yet ANOTHER linked film rather than stand-alone.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The saddest indictment of that entire sequence is that I really didn't care either way. He could have perished or survived (as he did) and it would have made no difference to how I felt. That's how removed from the film I was by that point. Just waiting to get out of there by then.

As you said, plot wise it would have been preferable if he escaped, as they would now have more options for B25, with or without Craig.
    Agreed,i must admit that also seeing the MI6 building crumbling made me a little angry,i remember that.

I thought that ,as it actually is a REAL building and tourist attraction,they could have bloody repaired it so that it is still there in both real life and Bond's world.

The last scene from SP really is a big let down.from the moment M's car is rammed.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    I thought it would've been really cool to have the helicopter shot down, and just as Blofeld was about to be detained, 8 black armored cars rush to the scene, Blofeld is driven to safety, Bond engages in a firefight with dozens of guards, then cars explode, there's a big fire, Hinx comes back and Bond fights him to the death.