Conan The Barbarian (1982 - present) - Possible series at Amazon

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited May 2018 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
This made my week, possibly year!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/arnie-gets-back-barbarian-roots-105538348.html

'Universal Pictures said Schwarzenegger, 65, will play the sword-swinging hero in The Legend Of Conan, 30 years after the film that launched the Austrian body-builder as a Hollywood star.

"I always loved the Conan character, and I'm honoured to be asked to step into the role once again," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

The original films, Conan The Barbarian in 1982 and Conan The Destroyer two years later, together grossed more than \$70m (£43.5m) at the US box office.

A 2011 remake, with Game Of Thrones star Jason Momoa, failed to repeat the success of its predecessors, earning only \$21m (£13m) at the North American box office, according to film tracking site BoxOfficeMojo.com.'

Comments

Still while the Arnold vehicles were fun I felt that the new Stargate Atlantis star Jason Momoa was a very good fit for the part.

I would like the new Conan movie to be a mix of flashback with Momoa as Young Conan and an older Conan by Schwarzenegger. This could be the best way to restart a franchise.
  • They've teased us with this image at the end of those movies for nearly 30 damn years now:

king-conan.jpg

Bring it on!!!
  • I'd have preferred it if he returned to the Predator series, since we still haven't gotten a real sequel. But this should be cool.
  • Looks like he's doing what Stallone did and making a 'final' story for his most beloved characters. Stallone brought back Rocky & Rambo, long after anybody ever thought possible and they were both great a success.
    Arnold has Conan and (hopefully) Predator & Terminator. The later really needs to be done right if they're going to do it at all...
  • I think Terminator is done, they shouldn't make anymore. Predator NEEDS a good sequel with Arnold returning.

Rocky was a brilliant end for the character but I wasn't big on Rambo 4, and I loved the first 3. Luckily we're getting Rambo 5, and Stallone said he wants him to go out in a "blaze of glory"
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I think I remember reading something that said they are trying to make a script for a new Terminator movie for Aronld.
    I also think I remember reading something about Stallone saying he's done with Rambo. I hope I'm wrong about that.
    I doubt that a Predator sequel will be made with Aronld. I liked Predators and I feel they should continue with that story. Perhaps they could add Arnold in that one. The Predators find Dutch on Earth and bring him to the planet that Predators took place on.
    A bit more news on The Legend of Conan.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/31146/schwarzenegger-drops-legend-of-conan-update

Arnold said this, "Conan is very much alive. Age doesn't mean anything to me, because I work out every day. I work out twice a day, as a matter of fact. At night I work out with weights, and in the morning I do cardiovascular training.
    So for me, to get on the set and to swing the sword around again and to ride the horses and all those things doesn't mean anything [does not scare me], because I feel like I did thirty years ago. So as long as I stay in shape, that's the key thing, and to keep your body young."

A producer spoke on Conan's age saying, "The idea is that this takes place AFTER Conan has been king. The whole idea that got Arnold so enthusiastic about the new creative take is, can he live up to the legend he is? Conan is in his mid 60s now, so he will have to fight through an aging warrior body, having cracking bones, aches and having to get back into the battle."

Andrea Berloff has been writing the script since October and a director has yet to sign on. Personally I think Guillermo Del Toro would be perfect for the director's chair.
    Be certainly interesting to see if they can really pull it off?
    IMHO, an older Conan is by far more believable than an older Terminator. I think they will pull it off and it will be a thousand times better than that crappy remake we got a few years ago. Not to mention Arnold returning as Conan will put a bunch of butts in seats at the theaters.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,812
    This is apparently an official teaser poster for The Legend of Conan that was shown at the Cannes Film Festival.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/05/17/the-legend-of-conan-teaser-poster-debuts-at-cannes/

Not much of a poster, as it's pretty much photo shopped, but at least it's something.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Conan the barbarian one of my favourite movies, the extended version adds alot to the film. When the princess kneels before Conan after Thulsa Doom has been ended. Great scene Conan walks past her as she kneels, not accepting to be her new god. Though he turns back toward her, Conan offers the princess his hand. Pretty much saying i will not be your god, though i will help you. Been wanting something close to Barbian for decades hope this works out.

Wonder if Basil Poledouris is still alive and working.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Sadly, no.
    chrisisall wrote:

Sadly, no.

That is a shame, musical score to Barbarian is one of the best.
    They can still use his score.
    Conan the barbarian one of my favourite movies

It's one of mine as well! Most people would reach for The Lord of the Rings when they're in the mood for a fantasy/adventure film but I typically reach for the original Conan the Barbarian. I just enjoy it and it's less superior sequel, The Destroyer, more than The Lord of the Rings.
    Been wanting something close to Barbarian for decades hope this works out.

I have too. The Barbarian remake a few years ago was one of the biggest disappointments ever, yet at the same time I was expecting it after seeing the trailers. My hope is The Legend of Conan will bring Conan back in a big way and the way he deserves.

Recently purchased Destroyer soundtrack not as good as barbarian though good none the less. Destroyer not the best of films though it is what it is and you can see what the intentions of the studio were. Rip roaring score though, fits Conan well. The remake was simply awful :)
    The remake was simply awful :)
    I didn't even bother seeing it. Conan The Barbarian simply cannot be bested. Possibly another with Ahnult can come close....
    chrisisall wrote:
    The remake was simply awful :)
    I didn't even bother seeing it. Conan The Barbarian simply cannot be bested. Possibly another with Ahnult can come close....

Had low expectations, was one of those occasions when in Blockbusters and nothing to rent. Don't mind Jason Mamao as a actor, though there is only one Conan. Found Ralf Moeller tv show far superior to the remake, and that was pretty awful :)
    Don't mind Jason Mamao as a actor, though there is only one Conan. Found Ralf Moeller tv show far superior to the remake, and that was pretty awful :)

Hahaha I almost forgot about the Moeller TV show. I couldn't get past the first episode or two, it was that bad. I must admit that, if given a good amount of money, Conan would be good for TV, it would have to be on HBO or something.

Just for fun, here are some pics of the three actors to play Conan on screen (in order)...

Arnold Schwarzenegger
    arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-barbarian.jpg
    Conan_1789756i.jpg
    arnold-schwarzenegger-conan.jpg

Ralf Moeller
    ralf_moeller_info_6.jpg
    CONAN_THE_ADVENTURER_5656565.JPG
    CONAN_THE_ADVENTURER_55656.JPG

Jason Momoa
    momoa-1.jpg?w=231&h=369
    Jason-Momoa-Conan-Diet.jpg
    Jason-Momoa-gives-Barbarian-some-finesse-I3A08DF-x-large.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mamoa took a lot of heat for this movie; I actually think he was pretty good; while not as physically big as Arnold, he had a savage look that would have benefited from stronger production values and script.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Mamoa took a lot of heat for this movie; I actually think he was pretty good; while not as physically big as Arnold, he had a savage look that would have benefited from stronger production values and script.

I quite liked Momoa's Conan and as Arnold only did the character only kind of justice in one movie, CtD is bloody awefull.

I prefer Momao's Conan more especially the grim humour he had over Arnulds total lack of acting skill and language skill.

Too bad that in the next Conan they do not Use Momoa as the young Conan & Arnuld as the older version. It would make a far more entertaining Conan movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They all sucked.
    Not sure why you came into a Conan thread if you don't like them but... thank you for your comment?
    The first Conan movie was lightning in a bottle. Nothing will ever match it, certainly no CGI fest. MAYBE if the did one old school with mostly practical FX & no soul searching... ;)
    I think that was one of the big things that the Momoa movie suffered from, way too much CGI.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Not sure why you came into a Conan thread if you don't like them but... thank you for your comment?

I was into the Conan comic strips, and I loved the first two Schwarzenegger films back then, but upon revisiting them not so much. I think Dwayne Johnson could have been a good Conan.
    edited
    I think that was one of the big things that the Momoa movie suffered from, way too much CGI.

It did make the world of Howards barbarian much better possible, and it looked a lot more like the settings from the comic books "the Savage sword of Conan" which for me visually incorporates the best Conan ever especially the the Chan drawn comics.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    the Chan drawn comics.
    He was great on them but I am a Buscema man.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    My favorite illustrator of a Robert E Howard character is John Bolton: his Kulls are epic.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    the Chan drawn comics.
    He was great on them but I am a Buscema man.

Me, too.