Rosamund Pike reflects on her career thanks to James Bond

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited October 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
Rosamund Pike was not a big fan of her James Bond fame for a while after she starred in "Die Another Day", but the English actress seems to have come to terms with her Bond Girl status and how her outing with 007 has helped propel her career - quite the opposite effect that the role is often stereotyped with.

Just 23 years old when she was thrust in to the global spotlight as Miranda Frost in the 2002 movie "Die Another Day", Pike told The Guardian how it was a difficult time. "I was really confused," she says, "because I thought people have given me this part as a Bond Girl, and if I turn up as the real me everyone's going to be crushingly disappointed because I don't look anything like her. So I focused on the need to look like her, and to live up to this image that had been foisted on me."

Her Bond Girl heritage almost stopped her taking her latest role as the female foil of Johnny English in the new "Reborn" movie. "I thought, well, I've spent eight years dismantling the Bond Girl image, so do I want to go back and tread that sort of territory again? And also if it's going to be a big piss-take, maybe that's not a very cool thing to do – I basically owe a whole career to a James Bond film. But I read the script, and it made me laugh, in spite of myself."

<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/05/rosamund-pike-rowan-atkinson"; target="_blank">Click here to read the entire interview</a>.

Comments

• Probably the most attractive Bond girl (until she went bad), of the Brosnan tenure maybe, and didn't realize she was a mere 23 years of age when she appeared in the movie, I don't usually go out checking ages of Bond actor/actresses but that was a surprise

apart from her DAD apperance I haven't really seen her in much else, I sometimes wish she had only stayed good in that film and Berry was the bad girl and Pike got to survive and the Jinx character had been taken out instead, along with Madonna if they could of managed it :L
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Is it really fair to say that Pike owes her career to DAD? Anyone who has seen Pike in other films knows how much of a talent actress she is; I think she owes her career to her individual talent for acting - not every, or even most, Bond Girl(s) can say that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think it's that many discovered her through Die Another Day. That's what she means I think.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Very talented. DAD was the first movie I ever saw her in; I remember thinking I wished she had more screen time, because she is stunning to look at. Had no idea that she was 23 when that was made! I thought she was in her late 20's or early 30's.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What kept me going when I watched DAD initially was Rosamund. I considered her more than welcome in this film. After DAD, I saw her in Doom. Don't ask. 8-| Haven't seen her in anything since. Johnny English will be my third Rosy film. :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Fracture from 2007, is worth seeing @DarthDimi.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    What kept me going when I watched DAD initially was Rosamund. I considered her more than welcome in this film. After DAD, I saw her in Doom. Don't ask. 8-| Haven't seen her in anything since. Johnny English will be my third Rosy film. :)
    She is also great in Joe Wright's excellent Pride And Prejudice.
    Why will someone tell me why the "other' girl in Brosnan's movies always outshines the "leading" lady??
    Wei beats Paris
    Elektra is light years ahead of Christmas
    yes, Miranda is much more interesting than Jinx...
    Maybe it is more fun playing the "bad" girl but TND had no real bad girl. Paris was just so awful.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why will someone tell me why the "other' girl in Brosnan's movies always outshines the "leading" lady??
    Wei beats Paris
    Elektra is light years ahead of Christmas
    yes, Miranda is much more interesting than Jinx...
    Maybe it is more fun playing the "bad" girl but TND had no real bad girl. Paris was just so awful.
    Wei was the leading Bond girl, not Paris. Elektra is way ahead of Christmas in Bond girl ranking. She is intended to be a Bond girl, but we don't see how evil she is until later on. Brosnan always has 2 Bond girls anyway. Xenia and Natalya, Wei and Paris, Elektra and Christmas, and Miranda and Jinx.
  • Twin Peaks as well or was that her look in Doom. Either she was wasted and underused in DAD. One of the most underrated Bond ladies ever.