Who could've done a Bond theme?

edited May 2013 in Music Posts: 12,837
Lots of discussion about who should, but how about artists who could have that are no longer around, or bands who could have that have broken up?

Off the top of my head, there's Oasis (still want Noel Gallagher to do one), The Beatles, Guns n Roses back in their Appetite For Destruction days, and Frank Sinatra.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Frank Sinatra (my #1 pick)
    Dean Martin
    The Beatles (though we did score Paul)
    Elvis Presley
  • Having a hard rock/heavy metal theme would have helped Licence To Kill. The theme is incredibly generic and doesn't at all fit the darker, edgier, bloodier, gorier mood of Licence to Kill. There were certainly no shortage of bands ready to do the job, from GNR to Def Leppard to even somebody like Metallica.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Frank Sinatra (my #1 pick)
    Dean Martin
    The Beatles (though we did score Paul)
    Elvis Presley
    Not in any of Connery's movies that's for sure!

232323232%7Ffp%3B6%3A%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D35567292%3B8325nu0mrj

But I second those choices! Good pics Brady!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Eric Clapton and Vic Flick were originally going to do the main theme for Licence to Kill IIRC.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Queen would have been awesome.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Eric Clapton and Vic Flick were originally going to do the main theme for Licence to Kill IIRC.

That would have been so much better.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Some Sinatra songs that I think would have been stellar Bond themes:

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I Wonder if someday Michael Jackson ever did a Bond song. I was asking that to myself a few days ago.

He had the power to do a Bond song.
    Take a look at You Are Not Alone:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sinatra, evidently.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Francis Albert was asked to do You Only Live Twice but he recommended instead his daughter. It would have been great though...

I think Fleetwood Mac (the golden era crew, with Christine) could have made a great 80's theme instead of LTK insipid song or FYEO boring tune.
    I could imagine the video: Stevie looking hot as a Bond girl and Mick in a tuxedo making funny faces.
    The Three Degrees from The French Connection's fame?
    The Rollings Stones in their Let It Bleed "Gimme Shelter" era, ideally, with Merry Clayton contributing in part to the vocals. A song in that vein would have given an attitude right out of the gates. Who knows...maybe Mick and the boys still have enough gas in the tank to pull out another masterpiece for Daniel Craig.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 546
    Frank Sinatra by far. EON were going to bring Frank Sinatra on board to perform MR, but they decided to bring back Dame Shirley Bassey. Frank would have done a great job performing MR. Others, I always wanted Christina Aguilera to perform a James Bond theme song. Madonna was an odd choice. I would have very much prefere EON to tap Christina Aguilera on the shoulder to perform the DAD theme song. If EON considered having another Pop/Rock music James Bond theme song, they should tape Maroon 5 on the shoulder. The Beatles (Even though Paul McCartnhey & Wings perform LALD. But together as a band) would be a good choice & The Rolling Stones as well. Whitney Houston would have been good too. (Before she got with Bobby Brown)
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Rick Astley (my number one choice for singer).
    George Michael
    Michael Jackson - he could have been a sensational Bond singer. I think this is the closest he got to a James Bond theme (in a pop/rap way):

I think that has a weird kind of James Bond theme vibe. The chorus is brilliant!

Frank Sinatra
    Elvis Presley
    Pet Shop Boys - I think they would have come up with something interesting.
    Oleta Adams - she's got a stunning voice:

I think Michael Jackson would have been ideal (during his peak years). Imagine Jackson doing a Bond theme back in the 1980s. Would have been crazy hype! But Duran Duran's song for AVTAK was pretty great so I'm happy the way things turned out.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I think Monty Norman should sing a Bond theme because he definitely can sing. Just listen to his CD "Completing the Circle".
    Elvis Presley would have been awesome. He was a huge bond fan, in fact the last movie he ever watched was the spy who loved me
    Prince, Muse, James Brown, the stone roses, miles Davis, but front runners for 24 should be The Heavy...they are awesome just like me when I make love to a beautiful woman....
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Another great choice for Bond singer would be British singer Seal. His version of What's Going On (the Marvin Gaye classic) is really nice:

His song Kiss From A Rose featured in one of the earlier Batman films. His early albums were sensational - the ace producer Trevor Horn worked on his early work - such as this:

Michael Buble
    Tony Bennett
    I think had there been a Bond in 1991 or 1992 Lisa Stansfield would have been perfect especially with John Barry writing the music.
  • oo7oo7
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/2SH0pVVBmN0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/2SH0pVVBmN0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 78
    Perdogg wrote:
    I think had there been a Bond in 1991 or 1992 Lisa Stansfield would have been perfect especially with John Barry writing the music.
    Have you seen the film Indecent Proposal? Keeping in mind we mostly want British,

I think that, in their primetime? they could have done it - Elton John, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Queen, Kate Bush, Alvin & the Chipmunks for James Bond Jr.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think I mentioned pages ago: the Stones; in particular, Gimme Shelter. I can definitely picture that one in a Bond film.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited August 2013 Posts: 523
    Frank Sinatra
    Joe Cocker
    Queen
    The Scorpions
    U2

maybe not too late for Seal or Michael Bublé, who knows...
    I think I mentioned pages ago: the Stones; in particular, Gimme Shelter. I can definitely picture that one in a Bond film.

It's one of my fav songs of all time. I think I have it on every playlist on my ipod :-)
  • Henry Mancini
    Krzysztof Komeda
    Lalo Schiffrin
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Also Katie Melua, she has such a voice !

I agree that Frank Sinatra tops this list. I've always considered it a minor cultural tragedy that the Chairman of the Board never performed a Bond theme. His rendition of "Come Rain or Come Shine" has always struck me as sounding a bit like a vintage John Barry title track.

The Beatles are another obvious choice.

Seal and Sting are names I've been dropping for years.

I've always regretted that Amy Winehouse's QOS song didn't work out.

Madonna came along too late. In a better world, at least one more Dalton film would have been made in the early '90s, and Madonna would have performed the title song then.

Still hoping against hope that a Bond title track is just the thing to bring about another Led Zeppelin reunion.

I know it's not too late for Michael Buble (he's about the same age as me; it had better not be too late!), but I've always felt that his Postmodern Crooner shtick would have been a better fit for the Brosnan era. Maybe sometime down the road, if the series ever goes back in a more Brosnan-esque direction.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,728
    Kate Bush would have been a really good choice and she was in fact considered for Moonraker before Shirley Bassey got the gig. Really a big shame that it never came to pass as she has one of the most beautiful voices of any female singer you care to mention.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 3,144
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Kate Bush would have been a really good choice and she was in fact considered for Moonraker before Shirley Basset got the gig. Really a big shame that it never came to pass as she has one of the most beautiful voices of any female singer you care to mention.

Basset ??????