Coming soon to TV screens- The upcoming TV shows thread

edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
If games and films get one then why not TV?

The Walking Dead has a new showrunner for season 4.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/34182/the-walking-dead-season-4-showrunner-is-ghost-riders-scott-gimple/

New pictures from Mad Men season 6.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mad-men-season-6-black-and-white-photos-2013-1

And here's a trailer for the 2nd part of Doctor Who's seventh series.

And I'll sum up the shambles that were the National Television Awards for you.

There was a terrible Skyfall parody for the intro, they wasted lots of time with performances, some bloke from bloody Merlin somehow beat Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock lost out to Downton Abbey and Miranda somehow managed to beat Sheridan Smith. I'm A Celebrity beat the Graham Norton show, etc.

You can tell it's voted for by the public.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nice counter part to the silver screen.

As I have said, not too big on TV, and any shows I like I am behind a season or two. My most anticipated is no doubt the series 3 return of Sherlock BBC. I can't wait to see how Moffat and Gattis wrote themselves out of this enigma.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Series 7.5 begins May 30th. :)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Should be a good series as long as they don't overcomplicate it again. Looking forward to the 50th special, hope they get at least the 8th, 9th and 10th doctors back.
    I can't wait to see how Moffat and Gattis wrote themselves out of this enigma.

Me too. I watched the "death" scene over and over but I can't for the life of me figure out how he could've survived. I thought maybe a dummy or Moriarty's body but the way his arms and legs move when he falls make it seem like it's definetly a living person.

Speaking of Sherlock, the bird who played Irene is playing Flemings wife in the new biopic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Should be a good series as long as they don't overcomplicate it again. Looking forward to the 50th special, hope they get at least the 8th, 9th and 10th doctors back.
    I can't wait to see how Moffat and Gattis wrote themselves out of this enigma.

Me too. I watched the "death" scene over and over but I can't for the life of me figure out how he could've survived. I thought maybe a dummy or Moriarty's body but the way his arms and legs move when he falls make it seem like it's definetly a living person.

Speaking of Sherlock, the bird who played Irene is playing Flemings wife in the new biopic.

I have a few theories, but I feel like it is something so bizarre and out there only the real Sherlock could solve it. ;)

And Lara Pulver is playing Fleming's wife?! AWESOME!
    erin10-1promo.jpg

She feels to me to have the air of a woman Fleming would go for, someone I could see Bond going for as well. She has the mystery, sexiness and sharp intelligence of Vesper. Is this the same biopic with Dominic Cooper as Ian?

By the way, does anyone have any footage from Sherlock's wins at the recent Specsavers Crime Thriller Awards? I heard Benedict won (and apparently the show scored other awards), and I would love to see him get what he so deserves.
  • Is this the same biopic with Dominic Cooper as Ian?

I believe it is, yep.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

Series 7.5 begins May 30th. :)

It's March, Easter Saturday but I'm sure you knew that. It was just a typing error.
    Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy, American Dad, Ted, etc) is making his first live action sitcom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21177159

New series of Being Human

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s116/being-human/news/a453914/being-human-creator-on-new-series-its-more-epic-than-ever-before.html

Anybody else remember when that was a show about a Vampire, a ghost and a werewolf sharing a flat?

I saw a bit of the first series then I tuned in again a few years later and Steve off Him and Her was dying a horrible death, there was a creepy Jester guy and there was a baby who was apparently very important.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    ARROW IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2013 Posts: 7,854
    ARROW IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/

Yes, it is, but that's not upcoming. There's also a thread for current TV shows.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5488/current-tv-shows-u-should-watch-thread
    If games and films get one then why not TV?

The Walking Dead has a new showrunner for season 4.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/34182/the-walking-dead-season-4-showrunner-is-ghost-riders-scott-gimple/

New pictures from Mad Men season 6.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mad-men-season-6-black-and-white-photos-2013-1

And I'll sum up the shambles that were the National Television Awards for you.

There was a terrible Skyfall parody for the intro, they wasted lots of time with performances, some bloke from bloody Merlin somehow beat Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock lost out to Downton Abbey and Miranda somehow managed to beat Sheridan Smith. I'm A Celebrity beat the Graham Norton show, etc.

You can tell it's voted for by the public.

Could not get audio for some reason? But from what i saw? Liking what i see! :-bd
  • It does look brilliant. Looks like the best since the 2005 series imo.

And I think Doctor Who is really going to show Bond up with the 50th celebrations. I heard that they've got tons of new merchandise coming out.

I'm not fussed about the audio stories or the action figures or anything but I'm looking forward to the short stories they're doing. The first one is dowloading on my kindle now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,882
    ItI'm not fussed about the audio stories or the action figures or anything but I'm looking forward to the short stories they're doing. The first one is dowloading on my kindle now.

I haven't collected many of the figures. All I have is the series 24 7th Doctor figure, and the series 26 7th Doctor with TARDIS. But the audios, oh boy I love the McCoy audios (which I do consider cannon). I can't get enough of them, naturally.

http://www.manolith.com/2013/01/23/is-bethesda-working-on-a-fallout-tv-show/

For those of you who don't know the Fallout video games are essentially the American version of Mad Max with a 50s vibe.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As long as Ron Perlman's the narrator, I'm set. Oh, and get Liam Neeson, too.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2013 Posts: 4,043
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/House_of_Cards/70178217?mqso=81001339

As someone who is a huge fan of the original BBC series House of Cards, the original series was simply sublime with Ian Richardson on exhilarating form as Francis Urqhart, To Play The King the 2nd series was not quite as good but still damn fine televison with Richardson again on top form, the final series The Final Cut was a case of diminishing returns but still was an enjoyable end to the trilogy.

I admit to have being quite cynical at the idea of a U.S remake but when I heard David Fincher was behind bringing this to the screen and would be directing the first 2 episodes of the series I changed my mind, the handful of trailers on display also look promising, also if any actor is going to take on Richardson's mantle then I can't think of a better actor than Kevin Spacey and I've been waiting to see him shine again after a handful of supporting roles and concentrating curating the Old Vic.

This is also a game changer in the respect that NetFlix have financed this and will be making all 13 episodes available to stream from February 1st. I'm a sucker for great political drama/thrillers and haven't seen a real quality in ages with the exception of Denmark's excellent Borgen (one of the best things on TV at the moment).

They all tend to start out all right (Secret State) then get bogged down in preposterous conspiracies.

Borgen is just simply for me the best of the Scandinavian exports of British TV of late and for me this better than the Killing & The Bridge, the less said about SOTL/Se7en rip off Those That Kill.

A very detailed article here on this new series.

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1301-Winter-2013/House-of-Cards.aspx
  • Warwick Davis is in Doctor Who when it comes back on.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a453483/warwick-davis-on-doctor-who-role-it-was-a-great-thrill.html

Beverly Hills Cop TV show. Can't be any worse than the last film but I'm not sure I like the idea of Foley jr. Could they not have gotten Eddie Murphey for another film instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21181255
  • RC7RC7
    Beverly Hills Cop TV show. Can't be any worse than the last film but I'm not sure I like the idea of Foley jr. Could they not have gotten Eddie Murphey for another film instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21181255

Oh no, this does not look good.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Murphey was planning a fourth film but couldn't work an idea out, so he went for a TV Series starring his son's character instead. The plan is for Murphey to appear in the series every now and again. Of course, this also opens up the idea of bringing other film characters back in further down the road.

Don't forget, for now it's only a pilot.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-02-04/ofcom-rejects-big-fat-quiz-complaints

I thought the show was hilarious and there was nothing too filthy, it was on after 9 anyway. The Daily Fail being sh*t stirrers as usual trying to drum up some controversy.

It's not as bad as the Sherlock stuff they ran though, "they showed a nude woman before the watershed! Think of the children! Here's some pictures of it that anybody in the shops can see!" You couldn't even see anything there anyway so I don't get the problem there either.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a462587/darren-boyd-comedy-spy-wont-have-third-series-on-sky1.html

Haven't seen this yet (I'd been meaning to) so not sure if I should be glad or sad. Not sure why it needs a US remake though. They already have Archer over there for one thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/9900560/Doctor-Who-new-series-first-picture-and-information-revealed.html

You can get a small glimpse of some of the monsters in the glass shards.
    Film news really but I may as well post it here as it used to be a TV show.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-05-02/the-inbetweeners-announce-a-new-and-definitely-final-film-for-next-year

IT Crowd is coming back for a finale.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-it-crowd/25527/the-it-crowd-special-filming-this-month

Oh, and here's a trailer for next weeks Doctor Who. On the fence about this one to be honest. I like Warrick Davies but those kids irritate me and I think the cybermen are poor villians.

this next episode was written by Neil Gaiman, which is enough reason for watching it.

Neil Gaiman Talks Doctor Who And Cybermen

The Cybermen return to Doctor Who this Saturday – and Neil Gaiman’s writing them! In an exclusive interview he tells SFX how he created a “Nightmare In Silver”…

You grew up as a Doctor Who fan. What are your memories of the Cybermen?

I think the first episode I ever saw was “The Moonbase”. That was the first time that I saw Cybermen, so I must have missed “The Tenth Planet”. I remember them coming out and taking the guy from the sickbay – in my memory, interestingly, they walked through the walls. And when I went back and looked at that bit years later I saw that no, they came through a door. And I wanted to get that kind of weird creepiness back to the Cybermen. I don’t think I’ve particularly succeeded, mostly because I got distracted by something else, and there was also a point where I said actually, we’ve seen those “Moonbase” ones. You can go back and look at them, there’s no point in doing that again. Let me try and do something else with it, in the same kind of way that Mark Gatiss approached the Ice Warriors.

For me the absolute joy of bringing back the Cybermen was coming up with a weird rationalisation: in the Tom Baker universe the Cybermen pretty much died out. They were incredibly unsuccessful and clunky. And then you get the Cybus Cybermen. My theory is the Cybus Cybermen were sent to Victorian days and zapped off into time and space at the end of “The Next Doctor”. They met a bunch of the Mondasian/Telosian Cybermen, and there was some cross-breeding and interchange of technology, which is why you then get the ones that look like, but actually aren’t, the Cybus Cybermen. And then I thought well, they’re going to keep upgrading themselves – my computer doesn’t look like it did five or ten years ago, definitely not 15 years ago. It’s going to be faster and it’s going to be better. So let’s make the Cybermen faster and slicker and better. And with their faces let’s try and go back to something that felt a little creepier. I looked at the “Moonbase” ones and they have this weird, impassive, uncanny valley thing of just the two eyes and the mouth, in the position they would be on a human face. It’s just really unsettling, and I wanted that.

Was there a sense of menace that you wanted to restore to them?

I definitely felt like the last few times we’ve seen them they are incredibly easy to defeat, plus they make so much noise moving around that you could just run away. If you hear something going hissy-hissy-clunk-clunk-clunk you can always go somewhere else. So there was definitely an early draft in which I changed that. I tend to do expensive things in early drafts and then they go away, so there was a scene where I had a hundred Cybermen coming up out of the sea on somewhere like Brighton Beach, which is all pebbles, and then moving completely silently over the pebbles. One human is running away from them and you can hear the crunchy-crunchy-crunchy-crunchy of the pebbles – but they’re completely silent, which I really liked, the idea that you can’t hear them coming at all.

In “The Moonbase” they’re sort of like ninjas, aren’t they…

Yeah. They’re in the shadows, they come in, they strike, they do the thing, they move out. In this it’s probably fair to say it’s more like Zulu by the time we get to the end.

Do you get much say in terms of the design? Is it something you put in your script – “I want sleeker Cybermen”?

Yeah, I do. But mostly I got to go to Cardiff and they said “Let us show you the stuff that’s come in from the art department”. They said “What do you think?”, and I said “Well, I like this face, I like this body – can we put this body on this face?” The only point where I really pushed them was when they sent me the face design and I just felt it wasn’t quite right. And I pushed for the “Moonbase” face on a much higher tech thing. It’s that effect we’re going for – a very simple circular eye, a slash for the mouth, and they are where they are on a human face. Don’t get creative, because the more creative you get, the more we lose the uncanny valley. And for me there is that wonderful uncanny valley of how little it takes to make you go “This is a face”. It just takes two eyes in the right place and proportion, and a little mouth. And it’s absolutely impassive, which makes it really scary.

What’s inspiring about writing for Matt Smith?

Matt’s brilliant. That’s actually what’s inspiring – I think he’s probably one of the finest actors I’ve ever written for. When I wrote “The Doctor’s Wife” I wrote the first draft with David Tennant in my head because he was my last Doctor. And it got gradually Mattier because it got moved from season five to season six, so I did more “Bunk beds are cool!” and that kind of stuff, changed some of the dialogue to fit what I’d seen Matt doing. But then when I saw what he did…I hadn’t written him breaking down into tears, but he played it, and he was good. And I thought ok, you are really a good actor, you are really smart. So for this episode, there was part of me going well, I think I know how good you are, let me write a bunch of stuff that I wouldn’t write for somebody unless I was absolutely convinced they could pull it off, because if they can’t pull it off the episode is going to be dead. You are going to have to do stuff that is absolutely way beyond anything anyone has asked you to do so far, and I think you can deliver it… and he does. And he doesn’t just do it, he makes it look easy. No, he doesn’t even make it look easy – he makes it look part of the story. You don’t watch it going “Oh my gosh what an amazing, bravura, brilliant performance”. You go “Yes, of course that’s what would happen”, and you’re just there in the story. And that for me is Matt’s genius, because there are other actors who could have done what I asked Matt to do, and you would have been going “Bravura performance, remarkable work”, and actually you would have been out of the story. There are things I get him to do in this that are actually barking mad – but he can do that! So you get Matt doing twice as much acting as you’d expect.

And you’re writing for Jenna-Louise, too…

She is so great. It’s that thing where Jenna-Louise delivers a line of dialogue that is so much better than you hoped it could possibly be when you wrote it. I gave her lines and every line is delivered in a way that is as good or better than I’d hoped.

Do you have more ideas for Doctor Who?

Yeah. I do. I don’t have much time – I’m in this weird position right now where I love Doctor Who, really, really love Doctor Who. The biggest problem that I have with Doctor Who is that it genuinely takes time to do, and you wind up doing lots of drafts. This one was probably essentially three major drafts, as opposed to the eleven that “The Doctor’s Wife” went through, because that went through a whole bunch including “Oh, good, now we’ve got Rory…” At least three, maybe four, probably five, including some minor roll-outs, but there was a lot of last year that was given to writing this, and it’s time that doesn’t go to anything else. I’m happy enough to say that I’m rich enough from book income and everything else that I can quite happily give 4 months or 6 months of my life to writing an episode of Doctor Who, just because it makes me happy.

I would love to do more Doctor Who. There’s so much stuff I’d love to do. Right now, it’s impossible. Right now I’m looking at it with that kind of horrible feeling that you genuinely can’t stop and raid the sweet shop. You’re on the bus and you’re going past and you’re going to be late for school if you go… so I tend to laugh when people say “Would you like to be the next showrunner after Moffat?” I don’t even have time to write an episode! You want me to be showrunner? Nothing else will happen in my entire life!

Nick Setchfield
    Tons of good and bad TV news so I thought now would be a good time to bump this.

First of all some good news, Hannibal is getting a second series.

http://www.deadline.com/interstitial/?ref=http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/hannibal-renewed-by-nbc-for-second-season/

And Fresh Meat is getting a 3rd series.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a481004/fresh-meat-to-return-to-channel-4-in-the-autumn.html

And now some crap news. Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who at Christmas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493

The favourites to replace him are Russell Tovey and Rupert Grint. Nice Bond connection too as Rory Kinnear and Ben Wishaw have decent odds.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/television/24-Live-Another-Day-Gets-David-Fury-Back-Board-55991.html

Oh and this isn't news but it's my thread and nobody comments here anyway so I don't care.

richard_ayoade_5254923.jpg

Richard Ayoade. He should be the next Doctor Who.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Mad Dogs is coming back on this week <:-P

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/wxk5h/mad-dogs--series-3---episode-1

And while looking for news about it for this thread I came across this.

http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/showbiz-news/2013/05/31/us-version-of-mad-dogs-in-pipeline/

Why don't they just show the real version over there? We don't make shite versions of American shows do we.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,882
    The only time that we have remade a US show I can think of was Married With Children. Our version was Married For Life, starring Basildon Bond himself, Russ Abbot. I have never seen MFL, so it might be good, or not...
    The only time that we have remade a US show I can think of was Married With Children. Our version was Married For Life, starring Basildon Bond himself, Russ Abbot. I have never seen MFL, so it might be good, or not...

And Law and Order.

Other than that, I am blanking...

Yeah, I'm loyal and all that to a point, but us Yanks really suck at television most of the time. We do have a few gems, granted, but we are copycats and are most often very unoriginal. Our best cop shows feature a ton of lead characters that are at least semi-inspired by Sherlock Holmes, an iconic British figure. We even have an American version of a Holmes show, now that I am speaking of him. We ripped off Top Gear, The Office, Being Human, America's Got Talent, Cash Cab, Eleventh Hour, Gordon Ramsay himself for Hell's Kitchen, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, Life on Mars, Three's Company, Prime Suspect, Gordon Ramsay again for Kitchen Nightmares, Shameless, Skins, Dancing With the Stars (ours aren't stars at all), All in the Family, The X Factor, The Weakest Link, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire ?, Wife Swap, Whose Line is it Anyway and plenty more I have neither the patience or the energy to compile. The point is, we are very unoriginal.

If any of my fellow countrymen in higher places attempt to extradite me for these comments I'm coming to be amongst many of you over the pond!
    Yeah, I'm loyal and all that to a point, but us Yanks really suck at television most of the time. We do have a few gems, granted, but we are copycats and are most often very unoriginal. Our best cop shows feature a ton of lead characters that are at least semi-inspired by Sherlock Holmes, an iconic British figure. We even have an American version of a Holmes show, now that I am speaking of him. We ripped off Top Gear, The Office, Being Human, America's Got Talent, Cash Cab, Eleventh Hour, Gordon Ramsay himself for Hell's Kitchen, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, Life on Mars, Three's Company, Prime Suspect, Gordon Ramsay again for Kitchen Nightmares, Shameless, Skins, Dancing With the Stars (ours aren't stars at all), All in the Family, The X Factor, The Weakest Link, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire ?, Wife Swap, Whose Line is it Anyway and plenty more I have neither the patience or the energy to compile. The point is, we are very unoriginal.

Hilariously, those are all shows I stay away from, with the exception of Whose Line (because that show's hilarious, and All in the Family). I wonder if I subconsciously knew that they were rip-offs.

Well, I did know that The Office was based on a British show (a much funnier show, as opposed to our US version which has pretty much no comedy).
    http://screenrant.com/cleveland-show-canceled/

Hurray! <:-P Now he has more time to put into his two shows that are actually funny.

Also, Mad Dogs is getting two special episodes in the new year then that's the end and Sherlock's 3rd series is rumoured to start in October/November.
    Talking about Sherlocks' Moffat he did a show which was very similar to the US sitcom Friends, only I enjoyed SM's version much better.