Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

Silly question perhaps by why not make another Jason Bourne film with another actor playing the lead Jason Bourne character? And for those of you saying only Matt Damon can play the role, why?! Bond is played by different actors. Jason Bourne is an interesting character but not in the same league as Bond.

I think it has something to do with the possibility of teaming up both of them together in a later movie...

Fans of the Bourne movies may finally get to see which action star is better: Matt Damon or Jeremy Renner. In a recent interview, The Bourne Legacy producer Frank Marshall commented about a potential follow-up film as follows:

“My dream is that in the next one we see Matt and Jeremy team up.”

While that may certainly be an unstoppable duo (or a clash of titans, depending upon their alliance), audiences will have to wait until August 10th to see Renner step into Damon’s shoes. The Bourne Legacy was recently pushed back a week due to fear of competing for audiences with Total Recall and, more likely, a desire to step out from under the shadow of The Dark Knight Rises. Hit the jump for more from Marshall, Renner and director Tony Gilroy, in addition to new images of Renner as Aaron Cross in The Bourne Legacy.

jeremy-renner-the-bourne-legacy.jpg

http://collider.com/bourne-sequel-jeremy-renner-matt-damon/175853/#more-175853
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    [edit : didn't see @bondsum's post]
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Sandy wrote:
    I don't know, I really don't know. I didn't like this trailer at all, there are things there that simply don't look real, and the thing about Bourne films was that they felt real! I mean, that scene with the motocycle or Renner climbing a wall without using his hands!? And the science babble? That was DAD at its worst (I should know, believe me it's my area of expertise). I really wanted to like this, the first trailer was not great but not bad at all but this? Still, I hope the film is good.

Many doubts here, too. Plus as a man, who is described as being as DC look alike, he does surprisingly little for me.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    This looks really good. The more I watch the trailer the less I miss Damon.

:O You must be cleansed.
    william_tyndale.jpg
    >:)

lol. Actually I have to agree with thelivingroyale. I'm not a fan of Damon but I am a fan of Renner's, so I'm looking forward to this movie.

Is it me or do his arms just look gross.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24287/renner-damon-team-for-fifth-bourne

Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner mabey together in Bourne 5.
    "The Bourne Legacy" director/co-writer Tony Gilroy, producer Frank Marshall and star Jeremy Renner have been talking up the film with Empire Online and briefly touched upon where the franchise could head next.

Gilroy says "If you think of the first three Bourne films as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, then we're showing you Elsinore. You thought you were seeing something you weren't. What if there's a much larger story? What if Treadstone wasn't the only black-ops programme?"

Renner says his character is "coming from a completely different background to Jason [Bourne]. He knows exactly who he is; he signed up to this...He wants to be part of a team. I can tell you he was in the military then he joined the [program]. He's a person who wants to be part of something... to have a sense of purpose. But then it's taken away."

Marshall added the most interesting quote: "You see there are several different [programs] in the movie with different skill sets. All possibilities are open. My dream is that in the next one we see Matt and Jeremy team up."
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

:)) I guess he just works out a lot.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

:)) I guess he just works out a lot.

Haha the veins make it look.. wrong.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    New international poster:

foreign-bourne.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That's a nice looking poster. Now, for a nice looking film.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 6,601
    To me it more of "Look here and see, how mean I can look. I am so mean and all man"
    :))

Hm...
    Can't wait. Watched MI:GP and I'm hyped to see him back in a espionage role.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I really enjoyed him in 'MI:GP,' and it seems apparent they're grooming him to take over for Cruise when he decides to stop doing them, but for now, I'll be looking forward to this. Trailers have me pretty excited.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I really enjoyed him in 'MI:GP,' and it seems apparent they're grooming him to take over for Cruise when he decides to stop doing them, but for now, I'll be looking forward to this. Trailers have me pretty excited.

I'd be more interested in the British guy from the third MI taking over.. it'd be unexpected and he worked well.

I'm just really uncomfortable with Renner in lead of two of the three major espionage franchises.
    Which British guy was that? I haven't seen the third one in quite some time.

Yeah, it may not be true. They said the same about Shia and the 'Indiana Jones' series, and that was years ago. The same could happen for this, as Renner is adding quite a lot to his plate lately. He's a breakout star, I doubt a good portion of what he's 'rumored' to do actually happens.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

No, Renner/Brandt likely won't return. Besides Luther and Benji the teams are always different in the MI films.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I miss Luther :(. I wish
    he was given a cellphone by Ethan at the end of 'MI:GP' for the next mission, and he was more 'out of the field intel' since Benji seems to be in the field now.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I miss Luther :(. I wish
    he was given a cellphone by Ethan at the end of 'MI:GP' for the next mission, and he was more 'out of the field intel' since Benji seems to be in the field now.

I know. In the 4th they kept saying
    they couldn't do this or that because there was no uplink with IMF because there was no IMF, but they never once thought of using Lutehr as a contact/resource for information they needed. I felt like he could have fit in somewhere but I suppose that would have been too much? Still, don't point out they have no IMF contacts and then have an IMF contact from three other films show up at the end.. -_-
    @JWESTBROOK, touche. I wonder why they didn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, touche. I wonder why they didn't.
    But at the end
    in Seattle, Luther tells Ethan "see you in Kandahar", setting up the next film and his involvement maybe?? I think Ethan didn't want to bring Luther in danger and risk his place at IMF by helping the rogue team, and Luther's team was busy after the mission looking for the missile Ethan aborted after IMF was cleared. IMF surely kept taps on Luther and made sure that he any everyone else had no contact with Ethan. Wire taps on phones, tailings, they are easy.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that makes sense.
    I really hope they do end up bringing Rhames back for the next film.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that makes sense.
    I really hope they do end up bringing Rhames back for the next film.
    I wonder what the issue was with him not being a bigger part of the film? It could have been due to the storyline, but have you heard any reports of Ving not being able to do it at the time?
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,372
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7:
    I'm not sure. According to quite a few links, which speaks of numerous other sources, Rhames was paid $7.7 million for his cameo in 'MI:GP.' Then, with this link:

http://boardreader.com/thread/So_why_does_Ving_Rhames_have_such_a_smal_zksqyX37a3qc.html

A few people give their view on it. Someone talked about them not having enough money for him - even though he made over double what he made in M:I3 just for a two minute cameo. Someone else said he isn't good for the series, which is a more of an opinion, I suppose. The rest of it is pointless, slightly racist drivel, but it was the best I could find in terms of Rhames' disappearance from this one.

My only idea is that perhaps they wanted to go in a new direction, giving Benji the field agent/intel role, and canceling out Rhames entirely./spoiler]
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    New trailer.. interesting.

Yeah, looks neat. Is it based on one of Eric Van Lustbader's follow up Bourne books? Hopefully it will deliver, probably go and watch it - hell it's got RW in it.
    @Lancaster007 From the looks of things it has even less in common with the book than the past 3 films. But still, I think it looks really good and I can't wait to go and see it.
    Thta new trailer makes the movie look very good.

It has no baring on the Lustbader Bourne-novels as they are about Jason Bourne sans wife and kids (in the Ludlum books he was married with Marie) and any other thing set up in the Ludlum universe. The new books are about the super-assassin and his quest for the US and freedom. He does become closer to MI series than anything else.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    New trailer.. interesting.

Yeah, looks neat. Is it based on one of Eric Van Lustbader's follow up Bourne books? Hopefully it will deliver, probably go and watch it - hell it's got RW in it.

Lustbader can crawl in a hole and die. I have read some of his plots, that completely ruin the characters Robert created. He must be rolling in his grave, bless him.
    Harsh. I like the new Bourne books, he's more like film Bourne in them.
    Harsh. I like the new Bourne books, he's more like film Bourne in them.

Oh, even more reason not to read. I want to read the Ludlum Bourne, not piggyback film novels. Is he middle aged in them at least?