Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t like Escape from NY. Looking forward to what Rodriguez can do with it. I expect a major improvement.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Honestly the most disappointing thing about these modern remakes is the overuse of computerized effects. What made "The Thing" special, beyond it just being a brilliant character study on paranoia, is that the effects were practically done and amazingly so. I miss the days where make-up and engineering crews actually had to make actors into creatures or create working devices to simulate the monster. There's a lot of talented computer effects crews in the industry, for sure, but when something you're supposed to be scared of is obviously fake, it really hurts immersion. And those effects can often be teamed with green screens, which are even worse. What's left that's real? One of two actors speaking at a thing that's not even on set with them?
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Robert Rodriguez to direct the 'Escape From New York' reboot:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/robert-rodriguez-escape-from-new-york-director-1202051424/
    Jack+Burton+Lipstick

Being serious Hollywood will bleed dry any potential franchise cash cow in the current climate

• They've already got The Rock playing Russell's role in a pointless Big Trouble in Little China remake.

I have more faith in Rodriguez's EFNY. As Thunderfinger mentioned, I was never a huge fan of the original. The music was awesome. Kurt Russell as Snake was awesome. The supporting cast was all money (Van Cleef, Pleasance, Hayes, Stanton, Borgnine, Barbeau). Individual scenes are great. But the whole thing never gelled for me. It doesn't work for me the way Assault, Halloween, Fog, Thing, and China do. So I'm open to a new interpretation. They just better have the main theme back. And knowing Rodriguez, I'm sure they will.
    Big Trouble in Little China one of my favouraite films of all time in the genre, you just can't top that film at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that immersion is my issue with a lot of blockbusters these days: when so much is CGI or greenscreen, it removes me from the sense of danger and excitement that's unfolding on screen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that immersion is my issue with a lot of blockbusters these days: when so much is CGI or greenscreen, it removes me from the sense of danger and excitement that's unfolding on screen.

I agree. It can be so poorly done, and even when going back to watch Christopher Reeve flying on a wire in the old Superman films, I feel more connected to what I'm seeing than I am in the current films. There's a great respect I have for effects done practically than those that take the easy way out with effects.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,767
    "The Thing" was already a heavily remade film, so that one doesn't hurt so much. But yes, Carpenter does seem to be targeted for revivals, which is a shame as he's an original whose work gets exploited by the unoriginal constantly.
    The Thing from another World, 1951, not such a bad film.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/?ref_=nv_sr_3

• boldfinger wrote: »
    "The Thing" was already a heavily remade film, so that one doesn't hurt so much. But yes, Carpenter does seem to be targeted for revivals, which is a shame as he's an original whose work gets exploited by the unoriginal constantly.
    The Thing from another World, 1951, not such a bad film.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/?ref_=nv_sr_3

It's probably debatable whether Carpenter's version should even be classed a remake, since both films are based off the same 1930s short story and Carpenter's take shares much more in common with the source than it does with the '51 film. It is worth noting, however, that Carpenter is a big Howard Hawks fan, paying homage to TTFAW in Halloween and modernizing Rio Bravo as Assault on Precinct 13.
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, that is well-done research, thanks.
  • Whether or not Carpenter's version of "The Thing" should be called a remake, it's still a magnificent film in its own right. It's arguably the best example for why practical effects work so well as opposed to digital effects.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Why should they be called remakes when both Carpenter's and the '51 version of the films are adapted from a short story? I see them as adaptations rather than remakes, which to my understanding (remake that is) is a name given to a film whose source material is another film, or a thing of the same format rather than a transformation from another.

EDIT: I believe Who Goes There? is a novella rather than a short story, which serves as the source material for The Thing storyline.
  • Why should they be called remakes when both Carpenter's and the '51 version of the films are adapted from a short story? I see them as adaptations rather than remakes, which to my understanding (remake that is) is a name given to a film whose source material is another film, or a thing of the same format rather than a transformation from another.

EDIT: I believe Who Goes There? is a novella rather than a short story, which serves as the source material for The Thing storyline.

"Novella" is a loose term to begin with. There are no actual guidelines that strictly determine what qualifies as a novella and what qualifies as a long short story or a very short novel. I can check my own copy later but I believe Who Goes There? runs 30 or 40-something pages in length. I've alternately described it as a short story and a novella at various times myself. It's a great read for anyone who hasn't read it already. Carpenter really took the best parts and expanded upon them to terrifying results.

Also, I agree with your definition of a remake. Carpenter was obviously a fan of Hawks' version to begin with and probably would have (and probably has) called his film a remake himself, but storywise he was adapting the original. So you're right, both films should be labeled adaptations. The second was deriving neither its story nor its ideas from the first.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, that is well-done research, thanks.

Sure thing! I'm a big fan of all things Carpenter, and specifically of The Thing. The Fog is probably my own personal favorite of his—just love the atmosphere in that fun little film—but The Thing is clearly his masterpiece. For anyone interested, I did a write-up on The Thing for my blog a couple Halloweens ago: https://enjoythecrawl.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/13-for-halloween-john-carpenters-the-thing-1982/. I go a bit into the history of the source material and included a passage from Campbell's Who Goes There?
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 12,267
    EDIT: posted in wrong thread.

No. Just no.
    @DaltonCraig007, @BradyM0Bondfanatic7! :))

THIS is the kind of mindless comedy I'd watch. And it's Michael Pena! :D
    And I present you, JUSTICE LEAGUE!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    CHiPs is up there with Babewatch as a must see for me. I could do without the rectal jokes but Michael Pena seals it. The other dude looks like he's trying real hard to do his best Owen Wilson impression.

Justice League looks good.

Roll on November! From that trailer I think Batman and Flash could be quite a humourous relationship!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Roll on November! From that trailer I think Batman and Flash could be quite a humourous relationship!
    Definitely! From here right on, I can see the chemistry of the supposed uncle-like figure Bruce would be to Ezra Miller's Flash as the nephew figure. And most familial humour comes from uncle/nephew bonds.
    My only minor gripes is that Aquaman and The Flash are not themselves, and this Cyborg character should have been replaced with some proper JL member.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,808
    My only minor gripes is that Aquaman and The Flash are not themselves, and this Cyborg character should have been replaced with some proper JL member.

Except that he is a proper Justice League Member. Have been so for at least seven years now, starting with the New 52 version of the League. And right now, that's the one current comic book fans are more familiar with. Personnally, I would rather have Green Lantern (the John Stewart version, if you want to have the token black), but Cyborg has his place in the League.
    Gerard wrote: »

Except that he is a proper Justice League Member. Have been so for at least seven years now, starting with the New 52 version of the League. And right now, that's the one current comic book fans are more familiar with. Personnally, I would rather have Green Lantern (the John Stewart version, if you want to have the token black), but Cyborg has his place in the League.

I think he's aware of the New 52, but since it's been quite panned, I can understand why some don't like the inclusion of Cyborg here. He's a Teen Titan, and feels understandably awkward here with heroes who have all been a part of the League since the golden years, while he barely qualities as anything beyond a fresh face.

We at least know we're getting John Stewart soon, but in Cyborg's place I wish we'd gotten Manhunter, as he's the most compelling character beyond the obvious picks.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

If they can capture the tone of the rebooted games this will be great. That being said, I'm not really a fan of Vikander but I hope she can sell me a good performance.
    Gerard wrote: »

I think he's aware of the New 52, but since it's been quite panned, I can understand why some don't like the inclusion of Cyborg here. He's a Teen Titan, and feels understandably awkward here with heroes who have all been a part of the League since the golden years, while he barely qualities as anything beyond a fresh face.

We at least know we're getting John Stewart soon, but in Cyborg's place I wish we'd gotten Manhunter, as he's the most compelling character beyond the obvious picks.

Yes, by proper I mean established.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've never been a big Tomb Raider fan, but if Vikander can deliver some grit and pluck in the role, I'll give it a watch. I don't want to see any sap.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    These look good. I'm a Gere fan, and he seems to be playing against his usual slick lawyerly suave type in Norman, and conversely playing right into it in The Dinner.

Norman:

The Dinner:

Agreed, and I have the perfect actor to play him : Samuel L. Jackson. Why ? Two words : Mace Windu. That's all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The dinner looks interesting.