Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Further Matrix films have been mentioned a few times, you could make these films forever in theory. A New trilogy just being another iteration of the Matrix, love the films despite the third being a let down.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Further Matrix films have been mentioned a few times, you could make these films forever in theory. A New trilogy just being another iteration of the Matrix, love the films despite the third being a let down.

Exactly; there would always be a plausible explanation to doing more, given that there could be an endless amount of versions of the Matrix. Keanu returning or not, I wouldn't mind getting more of these films.
  • I am still convinced Zion is in the Matrix ;))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am all for more Matrix, if they do something completely different with it. There was too much repetition as it was in the trilogy.
  • I am all for more Matrix, if they do something completely different with it. There was too much repetition as it was in the trilogy.

Another iteration could be set in any time period, Smith must come back Hugo Weaving was brilliant in the role.

True. Look at Animatrix for inspiration perhaps? Some of those were brilliant.

I've owned the Ultimate Matrix Collection on blu-ray for years now, and still haven't checked this out. Maybe I'll do a marathon in the near future and finally add it to the trilogy.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Animatrix was fantastic it's not in my Matrix BD boxset I don't think though i bought it separately, The Second Renaissance parts 1 and 2 are chilling superb short films.

Edited: I have the The Complete Matrix Trilogy boxset, just looked on Amazon I need to buy The Ultimate Collection that is a nice boxset.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't need a fourth 'Matrix' installment, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be the first person in line on opening day for that movie.

I do. The end of Revolutions left a bad taste for the last 13 years
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That highway chase in reloaded is still awesome af.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Animatrix was fantastic it's not in my Matrix BD boxset I don't think though i bought it separately, The Second Renaissance parts 1 and 2 are chilling superb short films.

As a complete work, I actually prefer The Animatrix to any of the live action films. "The Second Renaissance, Pts. 1 & 2" really were the best, but there's a lot to enjoy throughout. I like how they interpreted the Matrix through different animation styles and genres. You had the sort of Aeon Flux style animation of "Matriculated," the much more traditional Japanese anime styles of "Program" and "Beyond," the CGI awesomeness of "Final Flight of the Osiris," the cool black-and-white noir take of "A Detective Story." Solid, solid work all around. A must see for even casual fans of the Matrix films.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Hasn't been bettered since. In any action movie. That whole sequence of Reloaded—actually I'd say from first meeting the Merovingian all the way through the chateau fight and highway chase—is the best part of the trilogy. I know it's weaker on character and story, but I actually prefer Reloaded to the original purely on account of its stunning action.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Coming next year: Black Water, with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren.''A deep cover operative awakens to find himself imprisoned in a CIA black site on a submarine''.

MV5BNDE1ZjgyNWUtMzQzMy00MjZkLWIyNzAtNjc5NGUxZDczZmQzL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg1ODk0MDc@._V1_.jpg
    It's great to see my 80s heroes still kicking ass. The premise sounds interesting.
  • True. Look at Animatrix for inspiration perhaps? Some of those were brilliant.

As a complete work, I actually prefer The Animatrix to any of the live action films. "The Second Renaissance, Pts. 1 & 2" really were the best, but there's a lot to enjoy throughout. I like how they interpreted the Matrix through different animation styles and genres. You had the sort of Aeon Flux style animation of "Matriculated," the much more traditional Japanese anime styles of "Program" and "Beyond," the CGI awesomeness of "Final Flight of the Osiris," the cool black-and-white noir take of "A Detective Story." Solid, solid work all around. A must see for even casual fans of the Matrix films.

Hasn't been bettered since. In any action movie. That whole sequence of Reloaded—actually I'd say from first meeting the Merovingian all the way through the chateau fight and highway chase—is the best part of the trilogy. I know it's weaker on character and story, but I actually prefer Reloaded to the original purely on account of its stunning action.

I remember looking at my brother in the cinema after 30 mins watching Matrix Reloaded and saying what is this ****, from the Seraph scene onwards thankfully total awesomeness ensued. I still listen to the score of the film regularly, some kick as tracks in that movie.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Coming next year: Black Water, with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren.''A deep cover operative awakens to find himself imprisoned in a CIA black site on a submarine''.

MV5BNDE1ZjgyNWUtMzQzMy00MjZkLWIyNzAtNjc5NGUxZDczZmQzL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg1ODk0MDc@._V1_.jpg

I'm always up for a bit of Van Dammage. JCVD's recent films have been better than the usual DTV films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Damn straight!

Fun fact: This poster was released a week before actual principal photography commenced. Looking forward to this film. Apparently, this time Damme and Lundgren are on the same side.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well that makes a change from them being at war with one another.
    Paul Greengrass has started preparations for a film about the terror attacks in Norway in 2011, based on Åsne Seierstad s book "One Of Us".

I am not sure about this. It s still pretty fresh.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Damn straight!

Fun fact: This poster was released a week before actual principal photography commenced. Looking forward to this film. Apparently, this time Damme and Lundgren are on the same side.
    That poster takes me back to Universal Soldier. I'm really looking forward to this.
    Paul Greengrass has started preparations for a film about the terror attacks in Norway in 2011, based on Åsne Seierstad s book "One Of Us".

I am not sure about this. It s still pretty fresh.

I'm guessing it'll be turned into an action-thriller, sort of like 'Patriot's Day.'
    I hope not. It had to come at some point, but it shouldn t be exploitative.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,469
    I hope not. It had to come at some point, but it shouldn t be exploitative.

I thought 'Patriot's Day' was done in very good taste, and (shockingly) didn't seem to milk a tragedy just for a high box-office. It was rather emotional and touching throughout. However, I think it's easier to work with the events of that (and shape it as a movie that people can enjoy while crying over) as opposed to what happened in Norway six years ago. Greengrass being attached makes me think it's going to be action-driven, which doesn't inspire much confidence.
    All right. I haven t seen Patriot s Day. It ll be interesting to see how it turns out. I lived in Oslo at the time.
    @Thunderfinger, I'm sure that makes the prospect of them turning the events into a movie 100x worse for you. One can only hope they're as tasteful and caring about it as possible, and not trying to make a quick buck off a tragedy (like Hollywood tends to do sometimes).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If it's a Greengrass film, the camera will be rocking about so much that not enough of the action will ever be discernible enough to offend audiences. It's a win-win!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    March 2017 preview:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Kong, The Belko Experiment, Logan & Chips are on my list for next month!
    Seeing Logan on Wednesday.
  • Cautiously optimistic for GitS. Might be let down. Should be interesting to compare it to the original at least.
    Seeing Logan on Wednesday.

I've sworn off paying money to ever sit through another one of these superhero movies, but the 'X-Men' Universe is one of the only ones I've consistently enjoyed since I was young, and this movie looks pretty damn solid, so I'm probably going to catch it in theaters at some point soon. Be sure to share your thoughts once you catch it tomorrow!