Fall 2014 TV Season

As football kicks off it is also time to renew our relationships with some of our favorite TV shows. Summer replacements shows are winding down, "Tyrant" is gone, "Mistresses" is off, "Under the Dome" is wrapping up as is "The Strain" and "The Bridge".

I just finished watching Season 3 of "Homeland" on DVD. I do not get premium channels (I consider them a waste of time and money) but I am considering ordering showtime just to continue with "Homeland".

And when will "Penny Dreadful" be released on DVD?
Some of our favorite returning shows
The Good Wife
Sleepy Hollow
Scandal
Blue Bloods

Comments

• The football is back on now so I've been enjoying that. But I'm a West Ham fan and we haven't been having a great season so far.

South Park is back soon, I think the 17th. Can't wait.

And Legends, the new show from the creators of 24 starring Sean Bean, premieres here on Wednesday (I think it's already started in America). I'm looking forward to that.

Doctor Who has been alright. I'm not really impressed with Peter Capaldi at all. Don't think it's as good as last year.

Family Guy has been a bit hit and miss and I'm getting bored of it. This show has been really up and down in terms of quality imo. It was pretty poor when it started, then after a few seasons it got hilarious and stayed that way for a while, but then about two or three years ago it sort of peaked and has been gradually going downhill for the last couple of years. I think maybe Seth Macfarlane is getting bored of it now and would rather be off making more films (and he should tbh, Ted and A Million Ways To Die In The West were much better than the last couple of seasons of FG).

Two great shows, Banshee and Utopia, recently finished their second series. And already I miss them and can't wait for them to come back. And I recently finished the latest series of Archer on Netflix.

And... Yeah, I think that's about it. There's not really anything else I'm looking forward to.
  • The football is back on now so I've been enjoying that. But I'm a West Ham fan and we haven't been having a great season so far.

South Park is back soon, I think the 17th. Can't wait.

And Legends, the new show from the creators of 24 starring Sean Bean, premieres here on Wednesday (I think it's already started in America). I'm looking forward to that.

Doctor Who has been alright. I'm not really impressed with Peter Capaldi at all. Don't think it's as good as last year.

Family Guy has been a bit hit and miss and I'm getting bored of it. This show has been really up and down in terms of quality imo. It was pretty poor when it started, then after a few seasons it got hilarious and stayed that way for a while, but then about two or three years ago it sort of peaked and has been gradually going downhill for the last couple of years. I think maybe Seth Macfarlane is getting bored of it now and would rather be off making more films (and he should tbh, Ted and A Million Ways To Die In The West were much better than the last couple of seasons of FG).

Two great shows, Banshee and Utopia, recently finished their second series. And already I miss them and can't wait for them to come back. And I recently finished the latest series of Archer on Netflix.

And... Yeah, I think that's about it. There's not really anything else I'm looking forward to.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Legends is on here. It's good, give it a shot.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I've been enjoying Legends a good deal. It is worthwhile, in my opinion. Sean looks a little older, worse for wear ... but that is perhaps to be expected, and it suits the character. I am a fervent Sean Bean fan. Looking forward to the last few episodes.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    Season 1 of Showtime's PENNY DREADFUL series comes to DVD/Blu on October 14th.

NOTE: For some odd reason I simply cannot stand the way Brits use "series" when actually referring to a "season" (i.e, a slate of new episodes for an ongoing, multi-year series...)

It's one instance in which "YankSpeak" is better then "BritSpeak". To wit:

DOCTOR WHO is a television series that has run, off and on, for some 50 years. The new season for 2014 is the 8th since the series returned, after a long absence, in 2005.

PENNY DREADFUL is a gothic horror-drama series whose first season ran only 8 episodes.

Now doesn't that just sound better?

What do they call a "series" (U.S. meaning) in the UK? "Show"? "Programme"?

CraterGuns wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Season 1 of Showtime's PENNY DREADFUL series comes to DVD/Blu on October 14th.

NOTE: For some odd reason I simply cannot stand the way Brits use "series" when actually referring to a "season" (i.e, a slate of new episodes for an ongoing, multi-year series...)

It's one instance in which "YankSpeak" is better then "BritSpeak". To wit:

DOCTOR WHO is a television series that has run, off and on, for some 50 years. The new season for 2014 is the 8th since the series returned, after a long absence, in 2005.

PENNY DREADFUL is a gothic horror-drama series whose first season ran only 8 episodes.

Now doesn't that just sound better?

What do they call a "series" (U.S. meaning) in the UK? "Show"? "Programme"?

I do prefer the ENGLISH language and consider the terms Britspeak & Yankspeak an abomination in the use of the English Language. ;)

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've never even heard the terms until today.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    American Horror Story will be back in Oct with another gore, gross-out fest. I'll pass again.
    I will be looking forward to getting the Penny Dreadful DVD's next month.
    Sometimes it amazes me how some of the Brit shows can do so much with their limited episodes in a season. Orphan Black, Last Tango in Hallifax, Penny Dreadful, Luther, Prime Suspect all seem to do more with their 6-10 episodes than some shows do with 15-22.

Maybe its just me but I am starting to get annoyed at the summer shows that drag well into September. these shows should be gone by Labor Day, IMO. Last year it was "The Bridge" this time looks like Dallas, The Strain will go well into the month of September.
    Jeez....