the NFL thread

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    being completely unbias between Dallas and Detroit.. History tells me that Romo and the Cowboys will choke, as they routinely have in their recent playoff history..

14-0 first quarter Lions thus far.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    RIP Stuart Scott :(

Detroit was robbed. The fix is in . Jerry Jones has bought the super bowl.
    i just hate how easy it is for a WR to get penalties called in their favor nowadays... IMO, let both the DB and WR fight for the ball - as long as it's not a vicious hit to blindside a WR before he makes the catch, then let them manhandle each other and whoever gets the ball gets the ball... they've made the game so hard for defenses to do their job.... can't hit a WR coming across the middle as he catches the ball - that's a defenseless receiver - FLAG!... a defender is following a WR downfield, the ball in under thrown, so the receiver has to stop and come back - defender doesn't know, runs into the WR - FLAG!..... they've disabled defenses from being attacking, to reactionary.... the NFL has a hard-on for big plays (especially wide open across the middle), and unless you have a monstrous pass rush, you will get decimated across the middle with passing every time.... it never used to be like that... WRs never used to like coming across the middle for fear of getting their head knocked off.... now it happens every play of every drive.

all that aside, by today's rules - that should've been a flag on Dallas for Pass Interference.... the competition committee is going to have to address it in the offseason IMO..... NFL referees are horrible at calling penalties consistently.
    The refs seem to get worst in the playoffs. Maybe the league should take another look at how they select refs for the playoffs. Rather than taking a man from different squads and teaming them as an "all star" team they should keep the squads together. Let the higher graded offiating crews call playoff games.

I am neither a Lions or Cowboys fan but that was pass interference and it is called 100 percent of the time. I never saw them "pick up" a P.I. flag. Now I feel for Detroit. And if the zebras got it wrong, that supposed to make the Lions feel better?

That being said, what are your picks for the division round this weekend?
  • kep007kep007 Sharon, PA USA
    Since the Steelers are out. My picks are Green Bay, Seattle and New England and Denver.
    Think Dallas pose the biggest NFC threat to my Seahawks!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Green Bay>Dallas and it's not even close. Dallas needed some serious ref rigging to beat Detroit. Green Bay didn't.
    The only team that could go into Lambeau and win in January was my Niners.
    Now considering that Jerry Jones paid off the refs, and Aaron Rodgers is banged up, and the Packers do not play defense, I would not be surprised if Dallas comes out with a win.
    Almost gametime again people!!!! \:D/
    Hoping to wake up to a Seattle win tomorrow!!!!! Good luck to all the teams!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Currently watching BALT and NE. CR is on AMC for the commercials.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Flagged for being a football thread.
    Well I congratulate New England for their win. I can't really complain at all about losing; we made the playoffs and won a game even though no one gave us a chance. I consider the season to be a success after last year's outing; good game.
    well... it looks like New England is off to another Super Bowl.... i am calling it now, because i felt like the only team that could knock them off in the AFC (Baltimore) just lost to them... As good as the Broncos are, every time Peyton plays the Patriots in Foxboro he chokes... And Indy, I just don't think they are ready - i think the offense is too inconsistent.... but, i am no prophet, so i hope i am proven wrong..

i think it will be Seattle vs New England in the Super Bowl, with Seattle winning their 2nd in a row (coincidentally, defeating the last team to win 2 in a row)..
    @FoxRox

you guys gave them hell, tough luck..... i had a feeling though, on that drive where you guys settled for a field goal - thats where i got the feeling that the Pats were probably going to win..
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 12,243
    HASEROT wrote: »
    @FoxRox

you guys gave them hell, tough luck..... i had a feeling though, on that drive where you guys settled for a field goal - thats where i got the feeling that the Pats were probably going to win..

Yeah me too; after the field goal my confidence dropped. I'm really not that upset though; I'd be shocked if New England didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Hopefully our Ravens-Steelers games will be classics again next year!
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @FoxRox

Yeah me too; after the field goal my confidence dropped. I'm really not that upset though; I'd be shocked if New England didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Hopefully our Ravens-Steelers games will be classics again next year!

well... our Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau just resigned - so we'll see lol...
    @FoxRox

well... our Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau just resigned - so we'll see lol...

I did see that; either way the offense should stay pretty darn good with Roethlisberger and Bell. I would say historically Bears-Packers is the best NFL rivalry, but for this century, without a doubt Ravens-Steelers.
    @FoxRox

I did see that; either way the offense should stay pretty darn good with Roethlisberger and Bell. I would say historically Bears-Packers is the best NFL rivalry, but for this century, without a doubt Ravens-Steelers.

oh god yes, for sure...

Steelers/Browns was a good rivalry... but WAS is the key word there lol.. every since they returned in 1999, it's been a one sided affair - to the point where us Steeler fans don't even acknowledge them as a real rival anymore lol... but in many ways, the Steelers/Ravens is an extension of the old Steelers/Browns rivalry (since they were the old Browns organization).... but, as it is, our two teams have the best rivalry in the league today.... some would say Bears/Packers or Cowboys/Redskins - but neither of those in recent years, like you said since the 2000s, none have been as intense or as physical as the Steelers/Ravens... it's a street fight lol...

the sad thing is watching Browns fans don your team's colors when it comes to the games between us, and using that ol' "they used to be the Browns" excuse. lol.... pathetic really - though i can't blame them.. the Browns have been a joke for 30+ years.
    @FoxRox

oh god yes, for sure...

Steelers/Browns was a good rivalry... but WAS is the key word there lol.. every since they returned in 1999, it's been a one sided affair - to the point where us Steeler fans don't even acknowledge them as a real rival anymore lol... but in many ways, the Steelers/Ravens is an extension of the old Steelers/Browns rivalry (since they were the old Browns organization).... but, as it is, our two teams have the best rivalry in the league today.... some would say Bears/Packers or Cowboys/Redskins - but neither of those in recent years, like you said since the 2000s, none have been as intense or as physical as the Steelers/Ravens... it's a street fight lol...

the sad thing is watching Browns fans don your team's colors when it comes to the games between us, and using that ol' "they used to be the Browns" excuse. lol.... pathetic really - though i can't blame them.. the Browns have been a joke for 30+ years.

Yeah unfortunately the Bears haven't been able to keep up with the Packers lately. I'm amazed that Ravens-Steelers series has remained such a close one for such a long time now; one-sided rivalries just aren't nearly as fun. Hopefully it stays that way; much as I'm sure we'd each love to sweep the other, splits just make it so much more interesting haha! It's just amazing how much great history we've had with each other in such a short amount of time; I just really hope it continues.
    well... it looks like New England is off to another Super Bowl.... i am calling it now, because i felt like the only team that could knock them off in the AFC (Baltimore) just lost to them... As good as the Broncos are, every time Peyton plays the Patriots in Foxboro he chokes... And Indy, I just don't think they are ready - i think the offense is too inconsistent.... but, i am no prophet, so i hope i am proven wrong..

i think it will be Seattle vs New England in the Super Bowl, with Seattle winning their 2nd in a row (coincidentally, defeating the last team to win 2 in a row)..

I am not an expert on the game, especially being an Englishman in the UK but I have followed the Seahawks since I was a kid. Never thought I would see Seattle win the Superbowl in my lifetime but was thrilled we did last year. So proud that we are making a great defence of our title this season. Will be amazed if we manage to retain the title but it is still a big ask. Really surprised how many have said over here in the UK that Seattle are favourites! Hope they and you are right! ;) :-bd
    @RogueAgent

if this does play out like i predicted - the only reason i give the Seahawks the win over the Patriots is because of their defense, namely their ballhawking secondary... Tom Brady doesn't like to be touched - and he barely pulled a win out of his ass against the Ravens.. if the Seahawks can pressure Brady, he'll cave - or make poor decisions (just like his last two Super Bowls against the Giants) and the Seahawks D will be all over him...... Brady can pick apart zone coverages given the time - so the key to beating him, is getting good fast pressure on him and getting in his face consistently..
    @RogueAgent

if this does play out like i predicted - the only reason i give the Seahawks the win over the Patriots is because of their defense, namely their ballhawking secondary... Tom Brady doesn't like to be touched - and he barely pulled a win out of his ass against the Ravens.. if the Seahawks can pressure Brady, he'll cave - or make poor decisions (just like his last two Super Bowls against the Giants) and the Seahawks D will be all over him...... Brady can pick apart zone coverages given the time - so the key to beating him, is getting good fast pressure on him and getting in his face consistently..

Well without a doubt our defence has been THE biggest reason why we have been so successful this season and last season.

On a separate note congratulations to the Packers on beating the Cowboys. No disrespect to the Packers but Dallas had beaten us at home. But having said that I also have a lot of respect for Green Bay too.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 12,243
    If it's Patriots-Packers SB I'm not even going to watch; two of my least favorite teams haha. The media's darlings tend to be my least favorite.
    i would rather a blue collar city, and one of the few great legendary organizations like Green Bay get it - rather than seeing that troll Bill Belichick and his powerbottom Tom Brady hoist another championship for the Chea-triots.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Of the remaining teams, I hate Indianapolis the least.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I just can't see the Packers winning in Seattle without a healthy Aaron Rodgers. Hell, they got their butts kicked in week 1 when he was 100%. The Colts had a great victory against a should be retiring Peyton Manning but they are too inexperienced to beat Belichick and Brady in Foxborough. Like it or not, the Seahwaks will repeat in Arizona this year.
  • I seem to be the only Patriots fan here. I don't begrudge the distaste many of you have for my team but you must admit that it is pretty special what we've been able to accomplish over the past 15 years. I will readily admit that Manning was better than Brady when he was at his best, but Brady at least still has it and has never been a choker lime Peyton. It will be us and the Seahawks in Arizona, and while it will be a close game, we are the only team left that could conceivably beat Seattle.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i respect what the Patriots have accomplished since 2000 - reminds me a lot like the run the 49ers went on during the 80s thru the mid 90s - and i respect their organization, i think Robert Kraft is a fine owner and he represents the New England Patriots franchise and the NFL well........... but i can't say the same for Brady and Belichick, sorry... again, i respect what they've both accomplished - but as coach and athlete, i can't think of two men in football i despise more...

the day they both retire, is the day that i can actually possibly not hate the Patriots anymore lol.