the NFL thread

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    HASEROT wrote: »
    the only thing i dont get about the whole Ray Rice thing now, is that under the new NFL Domestic Violence Policy... 1st offense is a 6 game suspension, 2nd is a lifetime ban... according to their rules, Rice's suspension should only be 6 games - seeing as how the video that was just released was still from his first offense.... which really makes you wonder - is the NFL just making things up as they go, and was Rice's indefinite suspension purely reactionary to what was released today.... because the NFL knew what happened back in February - and those who saw the aftermath in the first security camera footage - did you really expect to see anything different happen in the elevator now in this new footage?......

I am just playing devil's advocate here, because I firmly believe Rice's indefinite suspension should've come a long time ago, not just yesterday - there is no excuse for hitting a woman like he did..... but I think we'll be potentially seeing a lawsuit filed by Ray Rice in this situation regarding his suspension from the league - we shall see.

It's called Roger Goodell pretzel logic. Someone who smokes marijuana is eight times worse than someone who knocks their girlfriend out in an elevator.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    HASEROT wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Too many blows to the head... turns 'em into delinquents.

lack of good parenting is what turns them into delinquents.

That as well.
    But repeated force to the frontal lobe has pretty much proven beyond doubt to decrease the action->consequence processing ability of the brain & increase agression.

Basically a good-natured football player/boxer etc. will probably not become a delinquent as he has enough innate restraint - the borderline cases will however quickly turn nasty with enough hits to the 'ol nut.
    The NFL is a corrupt money making machine. If Ray Rice was a 3rd string running back, he would have been cut months ago. They could care less about head injuries to players or domestic abuse to women, as long as 'the shield' is protected and the games go on. The only way to change the league is for lawsuits to occur and for corporate sponsors to pull out. This is just another shameful episode in a series of terrible events. Roger Goddell is a scumbag.
    The same could be said of FIFA, UEFA, and the FA and Premier League in the money making side of things. Their is also other shameful things they should be more proactive on like racism and homophobia!
    I am not an attorney but Rice may have a good case to get back into the NFL. Because of Goddell's and the Ravens organization stupidity and not doing the right thing in the first place, I daresay a good attorney could sue the NFL and get the dirtbag reinstated. Kinda like double jeopardy. You know what I mean?

It shows how the morals of the country has sunk so low. Goddell went so light on the dirtbag because he is a star and fans love the little punk and he keeps asses in the seats. Goddell is some kind of shytt bag himself to devalue women early on. He suspends a player for smoking pot for a full season (pot is legal in several states and it is a victimless crime in others) while beating up a woman warrants only two games. You friggin kidding me?

Goddell did not want to man up early on and come down on Rice hard and heavy. The backlash has led him to suspend the man and the Ravens organization is just as scumbag as Goddell.

IMO Goddell should commit hari kari, but that is extreme so maybe the bastard should just step down.
    I think Rice will sadly get back in the NFL based on precedence of letting Michael Vick back in.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The NFL is full of thugs and other reprobates who routinely get in trouble with the law. Rice is just the latest in the long list.
    If I was Goodell I'd keep it simple. Suspend him six games, in light of the new evidence and move on. Let the media moralizers wail. Most of them just like to hear themselves roar as public defenders of morality. Makes then feel relevant I guess. Even media loudmouths could understand that rules are rules.
    If the league wants lifetime bans for players charged with felony assault but not convicted, then they need to collectively bargain that with the players.
    I honestly don't know what behaviour clauses are currently bargained with the players.
    That's really what it comes down to -what can the Ravens legally do to Rice vis-a-vis his contract. If they overstep, he will sue. He has to, and the players union will have to support him.
    @timmer you are spot on bro! Look at terrell Suggs, that big ugly sack of dog shit has many DV arrests in his past. And lets not forget that low form of bottom feeder who wears a star on his helmut: Dez Bryant. That sonavabitch was arrested for slapping his mother. His Mother. There was nothing done to him. IMO any man who hits his own mother will burn in hell for all eternity.

We had a post that asked about morally corrupt films, I want to say hows about morally corrupt teams?
    Baltimore Ravens
    Detroit Lions
    And the Dallas Crackheads of the 90s.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Personally I find this whole thing to be a big yawn.
    I think at least 3 NFL players have actually been found to have killed their wives or girlfriends. Look it up. I think 3 is about right. I'm including OJ.
    Another one, the Patriots receiver, is currently sitting in jail, facing multiple murder charges
    At any given time the 32 NFL teams have roughly 1700 players on rosters not including practise rosters. That'a a lot of players, many of whom have never had money before and might come from sketchy backgrounds.
    As we have seen, a percentage will be charged with violent crime, DUI's, and other criminal activity. It's unfortunatley part of the make-up of some NFL players.
    League needs clear policy as to what sanctions they will take against those charged, convicted etc.
    IMO Rice is just another name on the blotter. Law enforcement let him loose. 6 games is apparently new league policy. Do it and move on. If he does it again, the courts will probably toss him in jail for a second offence and it will be out of the league's hands anyway.
    I do think its admirable that the league will make efforts to educate and take steps against domestic violence, and help with the broader societal effort, but given the history of criminal activity by its players its naive to think, criminal activity won't continue, including domestic violence.

This has caused such a big flap because its a guy hitting a girl, which is understandably going to provoke more societal outrage than than the usual thuggery...but still I think there are way too many media pundits, climbing up on their soap boxes to lecture the league, because its big and powerful and makes lots of money, and they love the chance to knock it down.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I think in my heart that Goddell doesn't give a shit about women. That is why he takes smoking pot more serious than punching a girlfriend, fiencee, wife. In his heart he just felt that since this was Rice's first offense, lots of DV all across America, a lot of the music preaches mysoginist behavior, television etc. Goddell thought that 2 games were fine and dandy and lets move on. Then the shit storm and he wants to bring the hammer down.
    I submit the history of DV the past few years: Terrell Suggs has had multiple DV issues, and that worthless Dez Bryant the WR with Dallas was arrested for slapping his mother. HIS MOTHER!

enough of the Ray Rice stuff. ITS FOOTBALL FRIDAY. What are your predictions for the upcoming weekend of games?
    @haserot sorry your Steelers fell to the Ravens, I was pulling for you guys.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    enough of the Ray Rice stuff. ITS FOOTBALL FRIDAY. What are your predictions for the upcoming weekend of games?

This is just a symptom of the many wrong choices made in the NFL due to the holy dollar, and it will not change anytime soon.

Like with the UEFA & FIFA when it comes to football.

Well? We are away at the Chargers this weekend, and I hope we can do a number on them like we did when we played them in pre-season?!!! :-bd
    For future reference, I'm a big Bears (NFC)/Ravens (AFC) fan. It was great to get a win over Pittsburgh yesterday, but I got a bad feeling about the 9ers game :(
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    @FoxRox I hope my Niners can pull it off. Our secondary is pretty banged up and I doubt Jay Cutler will be as "giving" as Tony Romo was. It's our home opener and we unveil our new stadium in Santa Clara, there will be a lot of energy and excitment in the air. GO NINERS.
    I pity the Jets going to Green Bay who will be pissed after their poor showing against Seattle.
    Arizona will dominate those puny Giants and go 2-0.
    @FoxRox I hope my Niners can pull it off. Our secondary is pretty banged up and I doubt Jay Cutler will be as "giving" as Tony Romo was. It's our home opener and we unveil our new stadium in Santa Clara, there will be a lot of energy and excitment in the air. GO NINERS.
    I pity the Jets going to Green Bay who will be pissed after their poor showing against Seattle.

You must hate my teams being a 9ers fan haha. I'm pretty sure you'll get the win on Sunday.
    (deleted)
  • I wonder if the NFL will now ban Pieterson for beating his 4 year old son with a tree branch?

The Vikings have already dropped him for this weekend's game.
    (deleted)
    First DV and now child abuse. Peterson has to go. I'm sure some of the "oldsters" on these chat rooms can recall being disciplined with leather belts, razor straps and yes, "switches". Our parents used this on us because that is what their parents generation used on them. But now society has moved away from corporal punishment of children. It is abuse and Peterson should know better.
    He is worst than Terrell Suggs, Ray Rice, and Roger Goddell.
    First DV and now child abuse. Peterson has to go. I'm sure some of the "oldsters" on these chat rooms can recall being disciplined with leather belts, razor straps and yes, "switches". Our parents used this on us because that is what their parents generation used on them. But now society has moved away from corporal punishment of children. It is abuse and Peterson should know better.
    He is worst than Terrell Suggs, Ray Rice, and Roger Goddell.

I do not think there is any excuse for abuse whatever history you might have. The old ways are not better. How many children die every year because of parental "corrections"? I saw the statistics in my country, and did not realize that kids died because of it but they do. I am no longer in favor of physical punishment due to that perception.
    (deleted)
    This weeks games:
    I guess since Jay Cutler was not in a "giving" mood, Kaepernick decided to play Santa Claus.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,243
    BEAR DOWN WOOHOO! Good week for me.
    This weeks games:
    I guess since Jay Cutler was not in a "giving" mood, Kaepernick decided to play Santa Claus.

2549331-4475902943-hqdef.jpg

That and combined with San Diego's shocker over Seattle. Arizona is alone in first.
    Peterson is in trouble because of the injuries suffered by his son, not so much because he used the switch, as even parents can't cross the line into injuring their children.
    The justice system will deal with Peterson, and I'm sure the NFL will also pull some inadequate response out of its clueless arse as well.
    This poor beleaugered league really does need some firm policy as to what do about its members who are charged with criminal behaviour.
    These situations have become almost as common as routine in-game flag violations.
    Never mind the league publishing weekly injury lists. Oddsmakers will soon have weekly criminal suspension lists to consult. Run of the mill stuff now.

Rice is planning to sue the league for lost income, double jeopardy etc. I knew it. Could see that coming a mile away, and he's right. I don't think the league has any legal cover.

Meanwhile, for the purest of politically incorrect reasons, I have adopted the Washington Redskins as my team for this year. As I don't live in an NFL city, I have to pick a new team each season to root for. So sad about RG3. Damn!