Dame Diana Rigg slams George Lazenby as 'stupid' and 'ghastly'

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
in Bond Movies Posts: 1,380
In her Edinburgh Fringe television show, presenter Sue Perkins interview former Bond girl Dame Diana Rigg about her new show and her past on stage and screen. When talk came to her Bond role, Perkins described her as "the only girl who Bond wanted to marry."

Rigg: I know and what a James Bond that was.He was a nightmare! Oh God, I wish it had have been Roger or Sean but no... I got George.

Perkins: What was so bad about George?

Rigg: Well he was stupid for starters. He was ghastly. He had read too many film magazines and thought that was the way you have to behave. Oh, he was ghastly. And I had to marry the man!

Perkins: Well, not for very long.

Rigg: No, thank God! When the shot went through the temple I went 'Uh, thank God.'

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04dydk8/edinburgh-nights-with-sue-perkins-episode-2"; target="_blank">Click here to watch the show on BBC iPlayer (UK only)</i>

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hahahahaha; now that's interesting. Still, it's incredible how the movie turned out; one of the best in the series.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, she was pulling absolutely no punches in that chat!
    I believe she has said some negative things before, but that is pretty blunt. Sounds like she was hugely relieved to finish the film. Which shows what a great actress she is; she sparkles as Tracy, acting with George or not.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    this is nothing new, but always a fun read lol... i often wondered what Telly thought of George.
    I recall long in the past DR saying something along the lines of how working with Savalas was a joy 'unlike other actors' where she wasn't quite so blunt about GL. Let's face it, he seemed to be a right pr!ck for no real reason and he knows it himself now too. Remarkable that the film hid this well and the pro actors carried it off - it's my favourite in the series!
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 372
    Am I the only one who's a bit surprised about this? I mean I love Diana Rigg, but I had expected her to be a little more gracious with her answer. Even if you're asked about a particular person, it seems unnecessary to be so blunt about it.
    Not surprised as she has been negative in the past.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    "Darling Tits Rigg"

Its funny to imagine Ian Fleming around Diana Rigg :))

Nonetheless, while funny on occasions, she comes off as just plain nasty when it comes to George.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    And all because George made the mistake of eating the garlic... :D
    Oh a tad more than eating the garlic, I should think ...
    Oh a tad more than eating the garlic, I should think ...

Just a tad perhaps...;)
    Quite rude statements from Diana Rigg. Lazenby apperently was a prick back then, she seems to be a prick now, and I still love both of their performances in the film, so everybody´s happy :-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Quite rude statements from Diana Rigg. Lazenby apperently was a prick back then, she seems to be a prick now, and I still love both of their performances in the film, so everybody´s happy :-).

Well said, sir. :)
    George was undoubtably dim when he made OHMSS. He made mistakes but that was almost 50 years ago. Maybe she could have been a little more tactful about the experience.

This just shows that Laz is still seen as a bad Bond by the public. Therefore he's an easy target. If it HAD been Sean or Roger she would have been more polite I suspect.
    Maybe it's just DR using a cheap shot with a provocative statement simply to get publicity!

Is her diary totally wedged ALL the time these days? It may be now: I don't think GL is quite do tackless to reply in kind either.

Not sure it has anything to do with public perceptions about the Bond actors though.
    andmcit wrote: »
    Maybe it's just DR using a cheap shot with a provocative statement simply to get publicity!

Is her diary totally wedged ALL the time these days? It may be now: I don't think GL is quite do tackless to reply in kind either.

Not sure it has anything to do with public perceptions about the Bond actors though.

I don't think she could quite get away with saying that sort of thing about Sean or Rog - at least not in that sort of mocking, bitchy way. Because its George its fair game.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Haha, that's brilliant. I would give Diana a high five if I could, as I agree after reading about George's behavior while on set. In many ways EON got lucky when he quit the role, especially since they were going to offer him a multi-picture deal.

I just don't appreciate smug arses who only desire fame and getting "laid" which is exactly what George has always been in my eyes. He was a fine Bond, but he'd rank dead last next to the other five actors for his unpleasant personality alone.
    I'm not George's biggest fan as Bond. I too would rank him last out of the five and I'm sure he WAS pretty ghastly to work with. BUT he's not there to answer back. If Pierce had said those sort of things about George people here would have laid into him.

I'm sure Rigg is a funny intelligent woman who would be a delight at parties. However when the subject turns to George she seems like one of those snooty Oxbridge ladies bitching over a bottle of wine and a cigarette.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,312
    The (transcript of the) interview doesn't sound that harsh. I can't listen to the iPlayer, but if she said it with some humor, I would not hang it too high. After almost half a century, it surely will be nothing more than a funny anecdote to both of them.
  • boldfinger wrote: »

Is she really talking about George as a person then? Or just the manner in which he played Bond (as an arrogant prick)? Because I never imagined him to be unkind... maybe I'm biased because he aged the best of all Bonds (even though Moore and Brosnan were always the beauties). I know it sounds very superficial but he looks like a friendly old man.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm not George's biggest fan as Bond. I too would rank him last out of the five and I'm sure he WAS pretty ghastly to work with. BUT he's not there to answer back. If Pierce had said those sort of things about George people here would have laid into him.

I'd root Pierce on for saying it just as much as Diana, because I'd agree with his rant. The only ones who would be upset or shocked by it are Lazenby's fans.
    You have to listen to the WAY she says in the show.

"When the shot went through the temple I went...oh thank god" #-o

Pity as that was George's best scene in the film
    To be fair, I believe even George would openly accept he was stupid back in the day although 'ghastly' is as strong a word as you could go without starting to be unpleasant.
    From the relitively little I've heard from friends and the odd interview, George likes to tell anecdotes and play up to his womanising while on set. However, as you say @andmcit I'm sure he knows that back then he was unprofessional.
  • Hmm, but didn't she have a bit of an affair with Lazenby early on, only for that to end when she caught him with another woman? That's what I heard, so there's a bit of hell hath no fury going on here.

I think Lazenby through his weight around, and some Aussies can be a bit too obnoxious (not all of them, but some are in a way that rubs up Brits the wrong way) but there you go. The Bonds are one area where you can't behave like that cos you depend on 'repeat booking' you are less of a freelancer than in other acting situations.
  • Haha, that's brilliant. I would give Diana a high five if I could, as I agree after reading about George's behavior while on set. In many ways EON got lucky when he quit the role, especially since they were going to offer him a multi-picture deal.

I just don't appreciate smug arses who only desire fame and getting "laid" which is exactly what George has always been in my eyes. He was a fine Bond, but he'd rank dead last next to the other five actors for his unpleasant personality alone.

What exactly did he do that was so bad on set? I actually want to know because I don't really know much about what went on during production of the film but I've read a lot of members saying he was a dick, unprofessional (speaking of unprofessional, I'd say slagging off your co star in an interview like that is pretty unprofessional on Diana's part), etc, and I'd like to know why.

I've heard about how he banged lots of girls while working on the film but what's wrong with that? If you were James Bond wouldn't you make the most of that and use the role to pull? I certainly would. And wasn't Connery the same? I've read that he had affairs with some of the Bond girls. At least Lazenby wasn't married when he was getting off with girls on set.

I think the fame did get to his head a bit (with him quitting the role and all the rest of it) but he's acknowledged this and has said he regrets it.

I like George. He seems like a laugh.
    I think George was often late to set and wouldn't come unless they sent a fancy car for him. That's as well as shagging a lot of women on set.

I agree though that Rigg seemed kind of unprofessional in that interview.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,631
    Just goes to show what a great performance Rigg turned in for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. She and Savalas carried that film and made it what it was despite a poor performance from Lazenby. With a solid actor in the role of Bond, the film could have been remembered as an all-time classic, rather than one that's only appreciated by Bond fans, as all of the other ingredients are there.

I also have no problem with her voicing her displeasure in the interview. She's entitled to her opinion and should be free to voice it if she so pleases.
    I,m not surprised about Dame Diana's comments considering she had to act opposite a plank of wood! Makes Sir Roger seem like Laurence Olivier by comparison!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Plus George broke Gunther's nose on set accidently. :P (I can't think of the actor's name.)
    Haha, that's brilliant. I would give Diana a high five if I could, as I agree after reading about George's behavior while on set. In many ways EON got lucky when he quit the role, especially since they were going to offer him a multi-picture deal.

What do people expect if they cast a young guy who´s never acted as lead in one of the biggest productions of the time? If he had continued to play Bond, I´m sure his contract would have included acting lessons as well as manner lessons. He might have been a prick at the time, but it´s a bit unfair to deny someone the chance to show he´s a learner.