FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited January 2021 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,449
Random chatter, questionnaires, discussions, opinions, debates, anecdotes, ... This thread has only one central theme: films. Come along and participate in the prattle and rant, in the expressing of hopes and wishes, in the tributes and worshipping. And don’t forget to have fun!

movies.png

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 23,449
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>001</b>
    Of which directors do you make it your business to watch all their films?</font></center>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Directors whose filmographies I will endeavor to watch in the future are (in no particular order):

Hitchcock, John Huston, Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder, Mel Brooks*, Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Sergio Leone, John Ford*, Kurosawa*, Fritz Lang*, Scorsese, and loads more.

*Directors I have yet to explore beyond a few glimpses of their work
    Stanley Kubrick
    David Fincher
    Michael Mann
    Christopher Nolan

Getting there:
    Steven Spielberg
    Ti West
    The Wachowskis
    George A Romero
    Quentin Tarantino
    James Wan
    Hayao Miyazaki

Maybe some day
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Fritz Lang
    John Huston

That'll do for now. ;-)

0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you will not be disappointed concerning Lang.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We have a lot of similar quests, @Dimi, so that is quite cool. Howard Hawks is another I'd add for one of the classic directors, and Charlie Chaplin, who I haven't explored yet either.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Coen Brothers, Quentin Tarantino, Alfred Hitchcock, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 372
    Alfred Hitchcock, Werner Herzog, Roman Polanski, David Lean, Jacques Demy, Luis Buñuel, FFC, Martin Scorsese, Mario Bava and some others. I nearly always check out new movies by the non-deceased people on that list.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    The only directors I can think of where I've seen every single one of their films are Danny Boyle and Quentin Tarantino (my two favourites). I've also seen most of Martin Scorcese films, most of John Woo's films, most of the films Sylvester Stallone has directed and most of Sergio Leone's films though. I've also seen quite a lot of Wes Craven films.

Unless it's a director I really, really like (like Boyle or Tarantino), I don't really see films based on director. If someone I like is directing a film then I'll be interested but the film itself has to appeal to me too. EG- Spielberg. Love him, think he's a genius, one of the best film makers ever. But I haven't seen all of his films because some of them (War Horse off the top of my head) just don't sound interesting at all to me.
    @thelivingroyale, that's my problem with Spielberg too. It consider him one of the greatest filmmakers ever - a superb story teller, a wonderful film commentator and in all fairness, the source of pretty much all of our childhood dreams and fantasies. And yet, every now and then a Spielberg film is released that I'm not entirely sure I want to watch. I almost always end up buying the DVD but a theatrical viewing isn't necessarily my objective. Your example of War Horse is also my example. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tarantino, Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher.
  • Interesting topic. A list of directors I have followed systematically at some point or another might include names like:

Stanley Kubrick
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Francis Ford Coppola
    Sofia Coppola
    Terry Gilliam
    F.W. Murnau
    Charlie Chaplin
    Fritz Lang
    Akira Kurosawa
    Lars von Trier
    Carol Reed
    Quentin Tarantino
    Ingmar Bergman
    David Fincher
    Marc Forster
    Andrei Tarkovsky
    Joel and Ethan Coen
    Orson Welles
    François Truffaut

I’ll happily concede most of those directors have a dud or three in their oeuvres, but I suppose that’s part of the charm of following them through thick and thin.
    @OtisFairplay, interesting to see Murnau in that list. I agree with that choice though in truth Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens is his only film I've seen so far.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 45
    Glad to hear you enjoy Nosferatu, @DarthDimi. I find Murnau's work a tad spotty, but if you are interested in exploring it further I would primarily suggest films like Der Letzte Mann, Faust or his American debut Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (all of them quite different from Nosferatu, though). Definitely one of the greatest visionaries of the Silent era.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Guy Hamilton is my favourite director. I would like to watch some of his earlier pre Goldfinger work as his post-GF stuff is sure entertaining.
    I am very impressed with the quintet of Goldfinger, Diamond Are Forever, Live And Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, and also other post Goldfinger fare such as,The Battle of Britain, Force Ten From Navarone (with Harrision Ford, Robert Shaw, Barbara Bach and Richard Kiel reunited, and Edward Fox) the Peter Ustinov-Hercule Poirot, Evil Under The Sun, another Agatha Christie (Miss Marple),The Mirror Crack'd, which includes Charles Gray and The Michael Caine-Harry Palmer thriller, Funeral In Berlin.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The only ones that come to mind are Hitchcock, Tarantino, Nolan, Sergio Leone.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Unlike actors/actresses, there are not manly directors whose work I will watch regardless of quality.

- Jen & Sylvia Soksa (aka The Twisted Twins aka The Soska Sisters)
    - Lucio Fulci
    - Ti West
    - Antonio Margheriti
    - Lucky McKee
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    timmer wrote: »
    Guy Hamilton is my favourite director. I would like to watch some of his earlier pre Goldfinger work as his post-GF stuff is sure entertaining.
    I am very impressed with the quintet of Goldfinger, Diamond Are Forever, Live And Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, and also other post Goldfinger fare such as,The Battle of Britain, Force Ten From Navarone (with Harrision Ford, Robert Shaw, Barbara Bach and Richard Kiel reunited, and Edward Fox) the Peter Ustinov-Hercule Poirot, Evil Under The Sun, another Agatha Christie (Miss Marple),The Mirror Crack'd, which includes Charles Gray and The Michael Caine-Harry Palmer thriller, Funeral In Berlin.

I like your style, sir. I like Hamilton too, while not always agreeing with the content of some of his Bond films or its fidelity with Fleming, but you can't have it all!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have favorite directors, but even so I cannot say that I have seen all of their films.
    But some of my favorites are:

Nolan
    Mann
    Scorcese
    Wilder
    Capra
    Huston
    Spielberg

I'll add more later. :)
    Nolan
    Anderson
    Arronofsky
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>002</b>
    What do you prefer? A sci-fi film by Ridley Scott or a historical epos by Ridley Scott?</font></center>

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    @haserot, Cameron, Zombie and Smith should be on my list too. Good suggestion! :-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ditto, forgot about Smith's View Askew films. \m/
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, Blade Runner - yes! For sure. So I prefer the sci fi just because of that one, so brilliant.
  • On a good day, the mere thought of the 1-2 punch of Alien and Blade Runner is enough to send me reeling so I guess it's alternative one for me. That said, I do wish I was able to muster at least a bit more enthusiasm about the prospect of a sequel to Prometheus. Oh well.
    I should excuse myself because I haven't seen Blade Runner even if I know it's a cult classic. But even if I've saw it, I should say I'll watch an historical epo for a simple reason: Gladiator is on of my favorite movies of all time. It's the kind of movie I watched numerous times as a kid and memorize the dialogues (but no, I'm not Ralph Cifaretto). More still, I'm big fan of the underrated Kingdom of Heaven. It's not as perfect as Gladiator but it is more historically accurate. And one reason for watch it is Saladin. That final dialogue between him and Balian is worth the whole movie... "Nothing... Everything". Ridley should have done a tv series of the Crusades, from the call of Urban II to the Reconquista in Spain.
  • Historical epos (not counting Kingdom of Heaven), because I'm not a fan of Blade Runner or Prometheus.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Blade Runner is up there with 2001 as a Sci-fi masterpiece, so that tells you where I stand.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,491
    Sci-fi

Also I want to say that this is great idea for a thread :)
    With regards to the first question, I'm not sure that there's any one director who I've made it a point to see all of their films. I tend to watch the films that look good or have come highly recommended by people whose opinions I trust.

That said, there are quite a few directors who I've seen most of, and in some cases all, of their films. David Fincher and Steven Spielberg would probably end up on top of that list. I would also agree with @haserot and include the likes of Rob Zombie and Kevin Smith. I've seen all of Zombie's films minus Lords of Salem and I think I've seen all of Smith's at some point along the way.

With regards to the second question, even without having seen Blade Runner (yes, it's one of the many films still left on the list to watch), I'd go ahead and say that I prefer Ridley Scott's sci-fi work over the historical work. Alien was brilliant, and I did enjoy Prometheus even if it ended up being something of a letdown from the hype it had going for it. I like Gladiator and films like that, but I'll take Alien over it pretty much any day of the week.
    I enjoy Gladiator, I think 1492 is great but Kingdom let me down and I have yet to watch that Robin Hood film but feel relatively little excitement for it.

Alien and Blade Runner are masterpieces. Blade Runner is my second favourite sci-fi film of all time, second only to 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I consider the epitome of brilliance. Alien is still in my top 5 sci-fi films. Prometheus, while not quite as original as those other two, at least IMO, is still a beautiful film and (hopefully) the start of an interesting prequel trilogy (?) to Alien.

So I'll happily take Scott's sci-fi over his historical films any day.