Daniel Craig has asked Kings of Leon to write Bond song

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited June 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 1,380
Tennessee rock band Kings of Leon have revealed that 007 star Daniel Craig has been asking them to write a title theme to his James Bond outings.

The news broke as the group were launching launched their new tour documentary 'Talihina Sky' in London. Speaking at the launch, brothers Nathan and Caleb said they were thinking about reconsidering their refusal.

Drummer Nathan Followill said: "Daniel Craig has asked me before. I have turned him down 3 times already but maybe."

Caleb added in a twitter chat with Vue cinemas: "I've always wanted to work with strings though so maybe yeah, that'll be a good excuse."

The good news for Kings of Leon fans is that they are signed to Sony Music. For the last outing, Sony pushed for their artist Alicia Keys to perform in "Another Way To Die", the title track for "Quantum of Solace".

Comments

i wouldnt mind actually i will be so great and awesome if they made Bond song
    The good news for Kings of Leon fans is that they are signed to Sony Music. For the last outing, Sony pushed for their artist Alicia Keys to perform in "You Know My Name", the title track for "Quantum of Solace".
    I'm guessing the above is a typo?

As for Kings of Leon, not sure really. I think with the 50th Anniversary coming up we need someone with a bigger voice the the KOL frontman. As has been mentioned in another thread I'd go for a Shirley Bassey for Bonnds 50th.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,441
    James Page source and also a Dutch translation of the news http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/entertainment/2011/06/kings-of-leon-gevraagd-voor-bondtheme both writing about Writing the theme. Nothing about performing. If there ask mabey like Bono & The Edge wrote a song for Tina Turner for Goldeneye. Bond 23 Written by Kings of Leon Performed by ??

• gt007gt007 Station G
    As for Kings of Leon, not sure really. I think with the 50th Anniversary coming up we need someone with a bigger voice the the KOL frontman. As has been mentioned in another thread I'd go for a Shirley Bassey for Bonnds 50th.
    I agree, we need something big for the 50th anniversary. I'm all in for Shirley Bassey. She did prove she still has it singing at the John Barry memorial concert.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    EON must be more than OK with this then if Craig has asked 'Kings of Leon' three times already. I presume once for each film. Interesting.

The identity of Bond 23's title song performer is likely a year away at least though, a lot can happen in that time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I want something big for the 50th anniversary. I'd even take something as big as the Rolling Stones. B23 needs to be a huge BANG !!
  • I'm taking this with a grain of salt. It's not like EON approached them to commision a song. If this is true it's more likely that Craig personally is a fan and said "Wouldn't it be cool if..." in a friendly or joking way.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    If this is true it's more likely that Craig personally is a fan and said "Wouldn't it be cool if..." in a friendly or joking way.
    Craig is indeed a fan of Kings Of Leon. He said so himself in an interview back in 2008, when BBC Radio 1 had a James Bond week to celebrate 007's return in QOS.
    I never understood all the hullabaloo about K.O.L. They rock arena's from what I've read, but my ears have not heard a great song out of them, so I'm not so sure about them penning the next Bond tune--performing it perhaps.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 886
    I've always said that KOL would do a great theme song (knowing that Craig is a huge fan)...hope this might be true.
    Although whenever anything gets out in to the press at this stage, it never really materializes it seems.
    Kiss of death really...but I live in hope.
    I never liked or disliked KOL, but the first clip I found on youtube after reading the article seems not such bad choice:

As has been mentioned in another thread I'd go for a Shirley Bassey for Bonnds 50th.
    I want something big for the 50th anniversary. I'd even take something as big as the Rolling Stones. B23 needs to be a huge BANG !!
    The last thing B23 is a heap of nostalgia. I don´t know if KOL would be the best choice, but Bassey or The Stones don´t make sense IMO.

The last thing B23 is a heap of nostalgia. I don´t know if KOL would be the best choice, but Bassey or The Stones don´t make sense IMO.
    Agree about the Stones...but Bassey? Really? She's timeless. They picked Tina Turner for GE when she was in her 50s. I would gladly take Dame Bassey anyday.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @boldfinger

a heap of nostalgia was what that mess called Die Another Day was.... they crammed every bit of "cliche" Bond elements from previous films into one big steaming turd - not to mention the relic room...

Bassey doing the theme, at least to me, isn't as much as being nostalgic, as it is more about it being the 50th anniversary - and quite frankly, in Bond's history, no one sings a better Bond theme than The Dame... she still has the pipes to belt out one more classic..... but it would all hinge on if she WANTS to do another.... Don Black, David Arnold and her have already established a working relationship from her previous album The Performance - if Arnold is brought back on board to compose the score (which he probably will be), and if the ol' gal wants to do one last Bond theme, I wouldn't see why the producers would say no...

.... unless they are so far up their own a**, that they are still searching for the next A View To A Kill
    @boldfinger

a heap of nostalgia was what that mess called Die Another Day was.... they crammed every bit of "cliche" Bond elements from previous films into one big steaming turd - not to mention the relic room...

Bassey doing the theme, at least to me, isn't as much as being nostalgic, as it is more about it being the 50th anniversary - and quite frankly, in Bond's history, no one sings a better Bond theme than The Dame... she still has the pipes to belt out one more classic..... but it would all hinge on if she WANTS to do another.... Don Black, David Arnold and her have already established a working relationship from her previous album The Performance - if Arnold is brought back on board to compose the score (which he probably will be), and if the ol' gal wants to do one last Bond theme, I wouldn't see why the producers would say no...

.... unless they are so far up their own a**, that they are still searching for the next A View To A Kill
    They don´t have to be up their own behinds to do that. And bringing back Bassey would be no difference. No sense in living in the past, Bond has to look forward.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,399
    but with recent artists like Alicia Keys, Jack White, Madonna, and Cheryl Crow really mucking things up... maybe The Dame should show them how it's done..

for me... it's not about wanting a Goldfinger 2, or Diamonds Are Forever 2.... i want a big classic and classy Bond theme again.... KOL could do a great one, but for the 50th Anniversary, i think it needs to be something that pays a nod to the last 50 years of Bond themes...... like i said, we all saw how the 40th Anniversary turned out..
    but with recent artists like Alicia Keys, Jack White, Madonna, and Cheryl Crow really mucking things up... maybe The Dame should show them how it's done..
    But she can´t. She would do her thing, which is something else than those others.
    But I personally also don´t think anyone but Madonna mucked anything up ;-) .
    i don't mind Tomorrow Never Dies or Another Way To Die.... are they great songs? no - i judge a song by how often i either listen to it, or skip past it... out of the themes since '95... those are usually the 2 (if you count Die Another Day, then 3) themes i always seem to skip by in my Bond mix....

Madonna had a real golden opportunity.... but i guess the 5 lines of lyrics was enough for her to care about at the time...... such a waste.
  • Oh god no. Not Kings of Leon... Daniel stick to being an amazing James Bond and don't give those producers any ideas.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Kings Of Leon would certainly be a good fit for a Craig-era Bond tune and, if it had a strong, memorable chorus, like all of their big hits it could receive major airplay and sell very well.

They're also the current, ahem, kings of rock and festivals, so just their involvement with Bond 23 could be seen to be quite a boon for the film - in some quarters, like the fickle but powerful music press/ media, it could be seen to be a cool, Duran Duran-doing-AVTAK-like move, which would be very positive publicity indeed. I'm not joking; it could really be a big deal in terms of publicity...
    I never liked or disliked KOL, but the first clip I found on youtube after reading the article seems not such bad choice:
    "Closer" is probably their best song.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

They're also the current, ahem, kings of rock and festivals, so just their involvement with Bond 23 could be seen to be quite a boon for the film - in some quarters, like the fickle but powerful music press/ media, it could be seen to be a cool, Duran Duran-doing-AVTAK-like move, which would be very positive publicity indeed. I'm not joking; it could really be a big deal in terms of publicity...
    I'm no fan of KoL but I agree totally with George here. It would do B23 no harm at all to have a popular band like them attached to the project.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350

I'm no fan of KoL but I agree totally with George here. It would do B23 no harm at all to have a popular band like them attached to the project.
    Also, it might just be a good chance of finally getting a number one Bond theme in the UK, something that has to happen one day...
    Maybe...the difference here with K.O.L. is this: looking at all the other groups that wrote or co-wrote and performed orignal songs for Bond themes: PMac &Wings, Duran Duran, and A-ha: they all wrote catchy POP songs with big memorable hooks. These bands were known for catchy tunes. Wings: Band on the Run, Jet (...and all the McCartney Beatles tunes!), Duran Duran: Girls On Film, Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, A-hA: Take on Me...

Kings of Leon, I'm afraid to say, wouldn't know a hook if it hit them. There's just a big difference here in writing style, and while KOL would be hip, current, and "rock", I just don't see them being able to churn out a classic tune.
    They were talking about this on the radio. I haven't heard many of their songs but I'm not really fond of the songs I have listened to.
    They were talking about this on the radio. I haven't heard many of their songs but I'm not really fond of the songs I have listened to.
    It took me a long time to get into them, too. Especially getting used to Caleb Followil's voice; it's not really like anything else on the modern music scene. Once you get used to it, they're quite good. You just need to use your imagination a bit: "Only by the Night" sharpened their production values, but it's also the most mainstream of their albums. So if you can picture "Aha Shake Heartbreak" and/or "Because of the Times" with the quality of "Only by the Night" and/or "Come Around Sundown", you can see what they're capable of.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Could be worse I guess, KOL used to be good up until their 4th album then they just became another over produced stadium act and we've got plenty of them already.

I've really not an opinion on this subject outside of that, I didn't hate the Keyes, White song like some have but we've defintley seen better but that is back in Barry's era all the Brosnan themes with maybe the acception of GE have been dire, anyway it will probably be Lady Ga Ga! LOL!
  • Maybe...the difference here with K.O.L. is this: looking at all the other groups that wrote or co-wrote and performed orignal songs for Bond themes: PMac &Wings, Duran Duran, and A-ha: they all wrote catchy POP songs with big memorable hooks. These bands were known for catchy tunes. Wings: Band on the Run, Jet (...and all the McCartney Beatles tunes!), Duran Duran: Girls On Film, Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, A-hA: Take on Me...

Kings of Leon, I'm afraid to say, wouldn't know a hook if it hit them. There's just a big difference here in writing style, and while KOL would be hip, current, and "rock", I just don't see them being able to churn out a classic tune.
    I don't dislike KoL but I agree with the lack of "hooks" assessment. I think that's what you really need ina title song so you can integrate it into the score like Barry did, giving the film a distinct and memorable "personality".

It took me a long time to get into them, too. Especially getting used to Caleb Followil's voice; it's not really like anything else on the modern music scene. Once you get used to it, they're quite good. You just need to use your imagination a bit: "Only by the Night" sharpened their production values, but it's also the most mainstream of their albums. So if you can picture "Aha Shake Heartbreak" and/or "Because of the Times" with the quality of "Only by the Night" and/or "Come Around Sundown", you can see what they're capable of.
    I might like them more if I listened to some of their less mainstream hits. Often I go to the record store, pick out albums and listen to most of them in their entirety. Might try doing this with KOL too.
    Well, I recommend "Aha Shake Heartbreak" or "Because of the Times". Or, if you can find them, "Day-Old Belgian Blues" and "Holy Roller Novocaine". But if you are a little iffy on the band, I'd suggest only getting the one.
    Well KOL are not bad singers and can belt out a good song or two. However would the 007 fans out there appeal to say a return of a previous singer/band etc ie A-Ha, Duran Duran, Tom Jones, Nancy Sinatra?

I for one would like a return of one of these legends but also there is loads of great singers these days and my few choices I consider Bond 23 singers are Dido, Elbow, Coldplay & Scissor Sisters.

Any takers on my suggestions?

:-?