The GoldenEye St.Petersburg tank chase - do you rate it ?

edited July 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
As my QoS Opera thread briefly but interestingly went off topic re the title of this thread,i have decided to give it its own.

Some of the comments have been very interesting,so feel free to copy and paste some of your comments from there on to here or we can keep going as it is.

Oh,and personally,i like the tank chase for the stuntwork and score,but,as others have said,i do think it should be an enemy of Bond driving it,chasing Bond in the car with Natalya AND the way the city is torn up doesnt seem something Bond would do.
It's hardly being a secret agent and we are talking being in Russia here !!!

Chat away peeps............

Comments

• edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It was my fault the other thread went off topic. Apologies. I was trying to say something provocative :p

Personally I think the sequence is a lot of fun and the best of the large-scale set pieces the Brosnan films had. From a technical standpoint its superb. The planning and the detail that went into that chase is all there on-screen. My only real gripe is that there are a few quick shots of the stunt driver if you look closely.

I think it's meant to be an updating of the old "crash bang" sequences of the Moore films. He caused a fair bit of destruction in those too if I recall (AVTAK has not one but two of those sorts of chases). The use of the Soviet tank is of course in line with the cold war nature of the story.

Its silly and it certainly wouldn't appear in a Fleming book (the closest I can think of is when Bond escapes Dr No's Island in the dragon flame thrower), but I think its exciting and a lot better than some of the lesser chase sequences.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 19,339
    It takes years sometimes to stop and think about these things.

I had paid no attention to it until recently,when i suddenly stopped and thought 'hang on,Bond is in a stolen tank,smashing the crap out of St Petersburg in the middle of RUSSIA here !! '.

He is supposed to be a 'secret agent' and he is doing a destructive version of the 'bondola' in Venice ala MR ,basically saying 'Hello all,i'm a spy !! '
    Well what about the Paris chase in AVTAK. Doesn't the same kind of thing apply? What about the opening chase in Skyfall too? Basically in each Bond is also saying the same thing/
    True but we are talking about a tank here and the destruction caused is more than those AVTAK and SF scenes put together.

And the location isn't Paris or Istanbul,its Russia.
    Thats the difference to me.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    True but we are talking about a tank here and the destruction caused is more than those AVTAK and SF scenes put together.

Fair point. There would certainly be a diplomatic crisis following Bond's actions in St. Petersburg.

If this had been Daniel Craig in CR M would have cut his balls off herself.

Personally I try not to think about that sort of stuff too much and appreciate the scene for what its meant to be: an entertaining crowd pleasing action scene.

Actually I remember hearing a comment from one of the crew saying that that was originally meant to be a motorbike chase but because he was in a military building they thought "lets have him jump on a tank".

BAIN123 wrote: »

Fair point. There would certainly be a diplomatic crisis following Bond's actions in St. Petersburg.

If this had been Daniel Craig in CR M would have cut his balls off herself.

Personally I try not to think about that sort of stuff too much and appreciate the scene for what its meant to be: an entertaining crowd pleasing action scene.

Actually I remember hearing a comment from one of the crew saying that that was originally meant to be a motorbike chase but because he was in a military building they thought "lets have him jump on a tank".

Same here tbh...it's just 2 odd hours of fun and escapism !!
    The Bond flicks all relax me if im a bit stressed,i think doctors should prescribe Bond flicks on prescription for stressed patients he he !!

The thing is I can understand why some find it to be in bad taste. Fleming probably wouldn't have liked it and it does kind of signal the beginning of "action man" Bond in the 90s and even to a certain extent now.

That said I think GE gets away with it more than some of the later Brosnan films. I can appreciate the spectacle, the stunt-work and the music more here than later on.
    And also the magic word is 'stuntwork' not 'CGI' and the difference is there for all to see.
    On some level I guess the sequence is fun to a certain degree, but I absolutely despise the sequence within the context of the film. The filmmakers could have opted for a chase sequence that was less about pointless spectacle and more about moving the story forward in a meaningful way while also providing some thrills, but, as was almost exclusively the case during the 90s and early 2000s, they chose the pointless spectacle.
    I love it. The baddy thinks he's gotten away with the girl and then James Bond, machine gun in hand, comes smashing through the wall in a massive tank looking really cool and suave as the Bond theme kicks in. One of the best moments of the series for me.

A car chase has been done a million times before and I think it would have had nowhere near the same impact that the tank chase does. It's one of the most iconic moments out of all the films. It was a really exciting, original action sequence.

As for it not being very spy like: James Bond never is really. This is the bloke who is so much of a secret agent that some random diamond smuggler knows about him. The same bloke who faked his own death only to introduce himself as "Bond, James Bond" to the guy he's investigating. The same bloke who crashes through crowded restaurants in speedboats, drives bulldozers through busy construction sites, uses diggers to tear apart train carriages, reveals who he is to the local police, etc.

Bond's always been a crap spy really.
  • It never sat well with me, but same as with a lot of GE. I mean, I was more annoyed about him shooting lots of Russian soldiers who were just doing their job, mowed down indiscrimately like they are the villain's henchmen. I also disliked the way you saw the tank scrunch over civilian cars, though the director sort of takes care to show a few stragglers getting out of their cars beforehand. But ditto Bond racing around Monte Carlo at breakneck speed, just seems like dangerous driving of the sort done by the cad who dates Virginia Mitchell and takes her virginity in Fleming's novel The Spy Who Loved Me. It doesn't imo match Campbell's rather serious direction, it would be okay in a Herbie film or even True Lies.

Modern Bond does seem all about causing destruction like it's real cool. With Moore, it was more comical, more Disney, and often police cars which kind of made it fun for some reason (nothing against cops, it's just an anti-authority thing).
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It's got an amazing score. Nuff said.
    @NapoleonPlural.

I sometimes felt those car/police chases in DAF/the Moore era got quite boring to be honest. I like the double decker chase in LALD and the Citroen chase in FYEO but the rest played things up for laughs and didn't really have much in the way of actual excitement.

I've never really been a fan of the DAF Vegas chase for example.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @NapoleonPlural Bond killed plenty of Russian soldiers in the Moore flicks. Besides, aren't all the henchmen just doing their job? Well fair enough, the ones at the secret bases must be in on the plan to some degree but since the villains often have double lives and appear to just be normal business men, media tycoons, etc, then I'm betting a lot of the henchmen have no idea who they're really working for. Like the employees at Osato chemicals in YOLT for example. They don't know what Mr Osato is up to (after all, why would he tell anyone about his dealings with SPECTRE who he didn't have to), they just see an unknown man who's broken in and stolen documents. As armed guards, it's there job to try and catch him and, if he doesn't come quietly, shoot him. So they were just doing their job. But Bond shot them because he's licenced to kill if he needs to and because he needed to get out alive.

Same in Goldeneye. Yeah the soldiers were just doing their job but it was either them or Bond. He'd be a pretty terrible 00 agent if he dropped his gun and then said to Natalya "they're only doing their job" before allowing them to either kill him there and then, or capture him and have him executed later.
    I think most of the action in GE is genuinely quite spectacular and enjoyable so I can forgive the ridiculous nature of it. In TND though it becomes more generic and less entertaining (at least Bond only fires one machine gun at a time in GE rather than two :p ).
    The climax of GE is the best in the Brosnan era by far,and also high up in the series imo,the other 3 of his films all have terrible endings.

They are so unoriginal and boring endings.
    The climax of GE is the best in the Brosnan era by far,and also high up in the series imo,the other 3 of his films all have terrible endings.

They are such unoriginal and boring endings.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    The GE ending is okay-ish, but hardly original. How many villains have we seen fall to their deaths in the 80s and early 90s? It was almost a requirement by the time GE came along.
    True,but i was referring to the whole part after Bond and Natalya's capture,re the watch,the pen,the banter etc,all leading up to the 006 v 007 fight and GoldenEye exploding.
    I know this sounds silly but I like the noise Bond and Alec made when they run on the antenna :p
    not at all,the whole sequence was put together very well,leading up to the fight.
    It's all pretty much cobbled together from previous Bonds, isn't it? Not necessarily a bad thing, but not original in any sense.
    Well the fact that two 00's are fighting it out was totally original though.
    To be honest, not sure how I feel about the St Petersburg tank chase

It was a reworking of previous Moorish chases but without the charm. it was well executed but strangely empty.

Its funny how the Dalton era was thrown out for more Moorish chases
    Well to be honest the Moore influences never fully went away even in the Dalton era. I could easily see Moore cutting that police car in half with the lazer.
    actonsteve wrote: »
    To be honest, not sure how I feel about the St Petersburg tank chase

It was a reworking of previous Moorish chases but without the charm. it was well executed but strangely empty.

Its funny how the Dalton era was thrown out for more Moorish chases

It doesn't belong in a Bond movie. Bond machine-gunning Russian soldiers is a big no-no for me. Throughout the Moore era the Russians were actually portrayed as mildly menacing distant cousins. Connery and Moore never went round mowing down Commies in the way Brosnan does in the PTS. Then when he's finished killing people, he jumps in a tank for a comedy romp smashing up St Petersburg. It's naff, and utterly out of place. Yes, Moore had his absurd chases, but he never smashed up Venice with his Bondola or blew up the Arc de Triomphe with his 2CV.
    As far as I remember Broz doesn't destroy anything really iconic in the chase.
    No, but he destroys a good chunk of St. Petersburg and endangers countless civilian lives. They could have created a great chase scene that didn't involve Bond destroying St. Petersburg, but opted for needless spectacle rather than trying to create something that's both truly iconic as well as faithful to the character.

Well Bond was stuck in a Russian Nuclear Facility on his own being chased down by Russian military so i dont think,as far as the scene goes,he had a lot of choice than to kill or be killed.

He had to get out of there by any means,and hold back Ouromov & co any way he could.

But the tank scene,i agree,is a different situation altogether.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @Getafix What about Moore killing Russian soldiers in the AVTAK PTS? Or the TSWLM PTS? Yes he didn't kill as many but he still killed them, because it was the cold war and the Russians were the bad guys. Same in the GE PTS.

And as for the archive shootout? Like I said above, what the hell was Bond meant to do? The soliers all thought he'd killed the minister and those mildly menacing cousins you were on about were going to shoot him there and then or capture him and execute him. And why is it ok for Bond to kill countless henchmen but Russian soldiers is "a big no-no"?

How is the tank chase out of place? It fits the tone of the film: fairly light hearted but not to the point where you stop taking it seriously. And please explain why the tank chase is naff but you don't mind the Bondola, one of the stupidest moments in the series? Because from your post, it seems like you only prefer the Moore chases simply because there was less destruction which I don't think makes sense.

I think you're just clutching at straws here.

dalton wrote: »
    No, but he destroys a good chunk of St. Petersburg and endangers countless civilian lives. They could have created a great chase scene that didn't involve Bond destroying St. Petersburg, but opted for needless spectacle rather than trying to create something that's both truly iconic as well as faithful to the character.

Come on, when you were sitting watching it in the cinema and Bond came crashing through the wall in the tank, did you really think "this is unfaithful to the character, he's putting lives in danger" or did you think "this is so cool!". And there have been so many interpretations of Bond that I don't think you can really be unfaithful to the character, simply because who the character is has changed so much over the years. EG- You could say Brosnan's Bond was unfaithful to the character because he wasn't close to Fleming but then you could say he was faithful to the character because he had everything you'd expect from the cinematic Bond (quips, gadgets, etc).

Besides, nobody actually got hurt (even when he crushes the police car we see cops get out of the wreckage) so it's all good. Is it unrealistic that nobody got hurt? Yes. But it's only a film and we got an awesome chase where Bond drove a tank so I'm fine with that.

I think a better example of "needless spectacle" in GE was when Alec tried to kill Bond and Natalya by leaving them in the helicopter and setting it to fire missiles to blow itself up.