Read & Discuss THE HULK Rant About Every James Bond Movie

edited July 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,745
So I recently came across this 'HULK' article on every James Bond movie, ever.

Now, THE HULK is a movie critic / journalist who isn't really the Hulk but types his articles in all CAPS and usually posts respectfully opinionated rants about movie topics, thus donning the name of THE HULK. I haven't really read too much of his work but it has come to my attention time to time.

Interestingly, he's done a series of write-ups on James Bond the character as well as his 'review' of every single one of the films. I haven't gone through all of them yet, but so far its interesting and I'd like to share it with you.

The most interesting part is his opening analysis of what makes James Bond work, and what he feels is the 'key formula' to Bond's success:

He claims that the reason we all love James Bond so much and we have for so long is because we know him. He says that for the most part the films are very blunt about his sexuality, demeanor, opinions, and general personality. Each actor has played it a little different, but for the most part we go into it knowing what to expect and we like that as a movie-going audience. He claims that it's this -keyword- consistency that makes Bond so popular, and that every time the franchise tries to stray too far into humor or too far into seriousness, it loses its consistnecy and sort of betrays our trust.

It is indeed an interesting thought, but I think the success of CR, QoS, and SF so far have sort of undercut that argument.

Anyways, its a great, very long, read if you want to spend the next few weeks doing some light Bond-related time-wasting.

Hopefully we get some great discussion going.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/14/hulk-vs.-james-bond-staring-into-the-id-of-a-boner-incarnate/

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Holy crap, HULK talks a LOT. Fun though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a little bothered by all the caps. Why can't people write normal anymore?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That's a lot of shouting, I imagine that by the end of day 4, he will be talking like Christian Bale's Batman.
    That's a lot of shouting, I imagine that by the end of day 4, he will be talking like Christian Bale's Batman.

More like Jack Bauer.

He has two modes: "Shouty" and "Whispery".
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    This article could have been simply summed up with;

HULK SMASH DIE ANOTHER DAY DVD!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 7,500
    JOBO DID LIKE SOME OF HULKS THOUGHTS (especially regarding Guy Hamilton), BUT JOBO DIDN'T LIKE HIS WRITING STYLE AND FELT VERY ANNOYED THAT HULK KEPT REPEATING HIMSELF AND USED 50 WORDS WHERE FIVE WERE NECESSARY. AND ALTHOUGH JOBO REALIZES ITS HULK'S PERSONAL STYLE, JOBO REALLY THINKS HE SHOULD BE MORE TO THE POINT!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    No need to shout, HULK!
  • I think the "HULK" persona is a great device for grabbing the attention of the fickle internet reader, but once that crucial point is achieved, the device of the "HULK" providing commentary just gets in the author's way. HULK does have some fairly intersting observations on Bond...but brevity is not his strong suit.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, I'd prefer to read the summary, which I assume would still cover 10 pages or so.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 251
    It's an interesting read, but the caps lock is giving me a bit of a headache.
    Heh heh, HULK HAD NOTHING TO DO FOR FULL WEEK.
    The word lead balloon comes to mind.
    JennyFlex wrote: »
    It's an interesting read, but the caps lock is giving me a bit of a headache.

I find the upper case somewhat tiresome. How long has HULK been typing on a computer? I was dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age years ago, but when someone explained to me when to use upper case, I got it quick.

What is HULK's problem?
    Think the Hulk Hulked! out. keyboard smash! Agree with other posters permanent caps does yours eyes in. Puts you off reading it.
  • OHMSS69 wrote: »
    What is HULK's problem?

The journalist behind the blog is trapped in a gimmick persona that he really ought to shelve. It's already achieved its purpose: attracting people's attention. Now it's just turning off his potential readership. Maybe HULK ought to let Banner take over the series once in a while...
    Maybe HULK ought to let Banner take over the series once in a while...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahah!! Dude! :))
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited July 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Wow, as many other members have pointed out by now, any interesting things that he has to say (there are more than a few in the first installment) are compounded by his annoying gimmick style of writing.

Edit - After reading through it some more I really enjoyed his thoughts on YOLT and how it could possibly be the first modern blockbuster. I'm sure I'll end up reading the entire thing because I'm always curious to know other people's opinions regarding Bond. It would just be so much better without the "Hulk" style. Oh well. Thanks for posting it @JWESTBROOK.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    He claims that it's this -keyword- consistency that makes Bond so popular, and that every time the franchise tries to stray too far into humor or too far into seriousness, it loses its consistnecy and sort of betrays our trust.
    Thanks for posting the link @jwestbrook. I haven't read the stuff yet, but I will.
    Meantime, yes, I very much concur with the above bolded sentiment as it relates to both the Moore era, too light at times, and the current period, way too sombre at times, and even the Dalts interlude flirted with being on the too serious side, but that's a minor quibble. The Dalts era did produce too very good Bond films. Close enough.
    The Broz era IMO was nicely balanced and reasonably in sync with the classic Connery/Laz era. The only thing that threw it off, was that Broz himself was nowhere near as convincing a Bond as either Sean or George, the only two great Bonds IMO. Broz IMO couldn't bring the natural gravitas and menace that Sean and George could, which is needed to counter-balance the escapist, often absurdist fantasy elements of the films.
    We need Bond to take it all very seriously, so that the danger and suspense elements survive amidst the esapism.
    Broz tried but I didn't find him convincing. But at last he wasn't trying to make light of things. He gets A for effort at least.
    But the Series survives for classic-era purists such as myself, because even the Rog Dalts and Broz periods didn't stray far from the classic-era template. All 13 of these films are very recognizable as Bond films rooted in the classic Connery/Laz period.
    It's the current Craig period that is way off reservation IMO.