Jeffery Deaver leaves door ajar for another James Bond novel

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited June 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 1,380
When award-winning thriller writer Jeffery Deaver was announced to be writing the next James Bond continuation novel, it was made clear that this would be a one-shot deal: Deaver had his own characters to look after.

But perhaps due to his lifelong admiration for Ian Fleming's work, and that he found the process of writing 'Carte Blanche' so pleasurable, it appears Deaver is now leaving the door open to coming back.

In an interview with the <a href="http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/10/3143494/jeffery-deaver-attains-double.html#tvg"; target="_blank">Star-Telegram</a> (published yesterday), Deaver explains:

"It was a one-book contract, with the understanding that I had to get right back to writing my own books," he says. "I'm currently working on my next Kathryn Dance book [fourth in the series]. Then I have a Lincoln Rhyme book that is due next year for publication in 2013 [No. 10 in the series]."

That said, when it comes to Bond, Deaver will never say never again.

"If Carte Blanche were to become a publishing phenomena, if it turns into, say, James Bond and the Deathly Hallows, then I would certainly be interested in revisiting it," he says. "But I would never not write my own books. Basically, we left it pretty much in the air for now."

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's good to hear, this. Maybe in three years time another Deaver Bond novel will be on the way.
    Good news as he writes a good novel but he needs to flesh out Bond's character more. The character seemed to mechanical to me and almost one dimensional.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I don't know why that hack reckoned Bond was 'one-time deal' for Deaver - I heard it from the source's mouth at the London launch Q&A session that all along he'd been delighted at the prospect of writing another if Carte Blanche was a success... :-?
  • I would think he would come back to write another Bond book in 4 years...? 2014 at the earlist
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Well, whilst he would be happy to write another, he did say he already had two books featuring his own characters in the works. He said that, as a rule of thumb, it takes him a year to write a book, so that's three years at the earliest before we see a Bond novel from Deaver. I'd like to think they'll have another out before then.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, whilst he would be happy to write another, he did say he already had two books featuring his own characters in the works. He said that, as a rule of thumb, it takes him a year to write a book, so that's three years at the earliest before we see a Bond novel from Deaver. I'd like to think they'll have another out before then.
    We've had three years between the last two and that worked out OK. I know different authors, but it's still three years. And who knows, a 2014 novel may coincide with the year of Bond 24's release.
    Yes please.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 2,594
    It now sounds like he would only be interested in writing more if the Bond books turn into a publishing phenomena like the Harry Potter books. I'd like to read a Bond book by two more authors before Deaver returns...if he returns.
    Shame, looks like Anthony Horowitz has got the Bond writing gig.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Can't recall ever hearing about this before. Interesting, though it won't happen now.
    This needs closing.
This discussion has been closed.