Deconstructing Bond

edited May 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 6,432
List top ten positive and negative character traits that Bond has?

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 12,264
    Positive:
    1) Successful
    2) Determined
    3) Loyal
    4) Cool
    5) Resourceful
    6) Strong
    7) Lucky
    8) Charming
    9) Cunning
    10) Emotional (I realize not all the time, but in some cases like OHMSS and CR it shows)

Negative:
    1) Misogynistic
    2) Nasty (not always, but occasionally - to women, especially)
    3) Alcoholic/Smoker
    4) Not always prepared (kind of a nitpick, but it seems like he has to play it by ear a lot - not that it's always necessarily his fault)
    5) Unsympathetic/Reckless (kind of a counterexample of the Emotional side; he is shown to still be cold in several instances, or just uncaring/reckless, like when he ruins a wedding in LALD)

Can't really think of 5 more big ones for negatives.
    Positive.
    1. Charming
    2. vast knowledge of any subject.
    3. Gracious.
    4. Respectful in some instances.
    5. Athletic.
    6. Appears to be immune to the damage drink and smoking causes.(tongue in cheek)
    7. Driven.
    8. Never gives up accept in the first act of Skyfall.
    9. Resourcefull.
    10. Single minded though could be seen as a negative also.

Negative

1. Misogynist.
    2. Dispassionate.
    3. Licence to kill whether his target has families appears to be totally irrelevant.
    4. Drinking.
    5. Smoking.
    6. Skyfall.
    7. Disregard for private property and extensive vehicle damage.
    8. Violent.
    9. Live and let die and Solitaire total low for Bond.
    10. Deceitful.
    Birdleson wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:
    Positive:
    1) Successful
    2) Determined
    3) Loyal
    4) Cool
    5) Resourceful
    6) Strong
    7) Lucky
    8) Charming
    9) Cunning
    10) Emotional (I realize not all the time, but in some cases like OHMSS and CR it shows)

Negative:
    1) Misogynistic
    2) Nasty (not always, but occasionally - to women, especially)
    3) Alcoholic/Smoker
    4) Not always prepared (kind of a nitpick, but it seems like he has to play it by ear a lot - not that it's always necessarily his fault)
    5) Unsympathetic/Reckless (kind of a counterexample of the Emotional side; he is shown to still be cold in several instances, or just uncaring/reckless, like when he ruins a wedding in LALD)

Can't really think of 5 more big ones for negatives.

All of your negatives are what I find to be the 007's defining characteristics. That's Bond. I don't think that today's PC world can really take Bond as he was created.

They are definining characteristics, I agree, but still negative obviously. I'm glad he has those flaws; it's part of what makes him a realistic character.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Positive traits:
    1.) Loyal
    2.) Dutiful
    3.) Determined/Stubborn
    4.) Resourceful
    5.) Knowledgeable
    6.) Calm Under Pressure
    7.) Skilled Fighter/Pugilist
    8.) Vulnerable
    9.) Stylish
    10.) Suave/Coooool

Negative traits:
    Other than hitting women in his early days on-screen, I've literally got nothing.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Actually I think one of Bond's best traits is that he isn't stupidly loyal to MI6. He's more than just a blunt instrument, he doesn't just blindly follow orders, if he doesn't do something is right then he won't do it and he'll even go rogue if he has to. I think Dalton is the Bond that showed this the most and it's one of the reasons he's my favourite.

Positive

1) Skilled (he can fight, drive and shoot better than anyone else)
    2) Cool
    3) Charming/witty
    4) Fearless
    5) Lucky (always comes out on top)

Negative

1) Reckless (driving a bulldozer towards a crowd of people, crashing a speedboat through a crowded restaurant, etc).
    2) Smug/irritating sometimes (cough, Roger Moore, cough)
    3) Gets fooled by women very easily.
    4) Seems pretty incompetent at times (in DAD he can't even tell that his gun isn't loaded, in SF he gets M killed, in GF he gets captured multiple times and has to rely on Felix to defuse the bomb, etc).
    5) Makes some stupid decisions (bringing M to Skyfall, deciding to try and catch a plane in mid air, doesn't just shoot Scaramanga in the car in the TMWTGG novel, etc).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Actually I think one of Bond's best traits is that he isn't stupidly loyal to MI6. He's more than just a blunt instrument, he doesn't just blindly follow orders, if he doesn't do something is right then he won't do it and he'll even go rogue if he has to. I think Dalton is the Bond that showed this the most and it's one of the reasons he's my favourite.

Bond definitely doesn't always follow orders, but that doesn't mean he isn't still incredibly loyal. Take QoS for instance. Though M and the entire British government want him to come in after bodies have been piling up (a lot of which isn't even his fault), he stays and tracks down his own leads to get at Greene, getting help from Mathis. Now in that instance he definitely defied his orders, let still remained very loyal to MI6 because he stayed focused on his mission and never did anything to jeopardize M or his country. In fact, when he does go rogue he is often the only one with his head on straight and completely focused, never letting his own personal interests contaminate his mission or how he operates. That means he's pretty darn loyal to the agency he is employed by and the realm he defends, keeping their best interests at heart even when his superiors don't.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 & @thelivingroyale , you guys said it all FOR me.
    chrisisall wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 & @thelivingroyale , you guys said it all FOR me.

I'll take my payment by mail. No checks, please.