Has anyone seen "Welcome to Japan Mr. Bond." (The lost Documentary)?

MurdockMurdock The minus world
edited May 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 16,330
While doing a random search through IMFDB, I came across these screenshots.

Qmba1.jpg
Qcarbine1.jpg

Doing a little research, It's a promotional documentary for You Only Live Twice made for TV. Does anyone have it or have seen this documentary? I couldn't find it on youtube, but the screencap does have me curious. Thoughts?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm sure it's on the You Only Live Twice DVD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe on the 2 disc Ultimate Edition but sadly it isn't on the Special Edition DVD.
    Got the 50th bluray box set though admittedly not watched all the documentarys, maybe on that.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 414
    It's on the 2nd disc of the Ultimate Edition. Interesting to watch. Campy little short, not too different than a lot of other "sneak peak" type TV specials to promote upcoming films nowadays. Miss Moneypenny and Q get together to discuss 007's behavior as an excuse to show clips from the previous four Bond movies. Then there's a few sneak peak clips from YOLT.
    Then there's also an actress screening the movie. It all leads to the big revelation that . . . gasp . . . Bond is going to get married in the movie. Miss Moneypenny's obviously jealous, but she puts up with it better than the actress screening the film, who is clutching a script labeled "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and complaining that her agent promised she'd be the first to play James Bond's bride.

That's if my memory serves me correctly, though. Haven't watched that feature since shortly after the Ultimate Edition sets came out.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Interesting. thank you very much. I'll have to find the original Ultimate Edition sets then.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Judging by the screenshots, I would say that the documentary is on the blu-ray. I'm literally feet away from the blu-ray right now, but I'm too lazy to get up.

Yeah, I just checked blu-ray.com, and it confirms that it's also on the blu-ray. Running time is 52:23. Here's the description:

"An hour-long 1967 made-for-TV "movie" that features a dejected Moneypenny reminiscing about Bond's previous adventures and romantic liaisons—expect lots of archival clips from the first few films—and giving us a preview of You Only Live Twice. In high definition for the first time!"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sure it's on the You Only Live Twice DVD.

Yes, it is. I've seen some of it on the YOLT Ultimate Edition DVD released in 2006.
  • I've probably seen it on the blu ray as I watched everything when I first got the set. I don't remember anything from it though, so I'll need to give it a rewatch.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2014 Posts: 4,441
    On BD you get black bars from the left and right. In your dvd player be in Fullscreen in 1:77:1 (No subtitels) or 1:85:1 (Subtitels). If you at that UE dvd in your BD player you wil see it in 1:85:1 with small blackbars.

This is because it is in 1:33:1 and 1:33:1 on BD the all format option be no longer suport. The 16:9 subtitle function be with BD now named 16:9 and tv format named Zoomed. This mean if play dvd in your dvd player or as my case DVD/DVD Recorder you stil must change tv format in in 16:9 when you play 1:33:1 tv series. Funny thing be is that with dvd the 2:35:1 format be the problem and now it be 1:33:1. The problems with 2:35:1 of course always be problem how much you see in the middle/the format not be good for to small tv's. The 1:33:1 problems now have to do with fact is no longer widescreen.

The above screenshots not realy give a fear image.

This be more closer whyle of course also not be fear image.
    @M_Balje, still, the documentary on the blu-ray is in 1080p, which the DVD can't offer.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2014 Posts: 4,441
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @M_Balje, still, the documentary on the blu-ray is in 1080p, which the DVD can't offer.

Personaly i not give much about that for older! tv series/documentry's. SD (DVD) be good enough in that case. The Cabel company made it possible people can watch Anolge tv channel's (exept TV5) and Belgium 3 (Ketnet) in SD too. Sometimes that already be a step above on dvd. I only use Anologe tv for my dvdrecorder and tv5 if needed. The audio be for me more reasen why i get for BD and of course image/audio inprove the moost inspecialy with Warner and Disney/animated movies.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    M_Balje wrote:

This be more closer whyle of course also not be fear image.

macgyver_simpsons-inpage.jpg

:-bd
    @M_Balje, it can surprise you. I'm amazed at the audio and visual quality of some of the 60's films I have on blu-ray.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Another reason why I am going Blu-ray when I can. :)
    Another reason why I am going Blu-ray when I can. :)

It's worth every penny. :)
    With "Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond," Eon apparently wanted to be more closely involved than it had with "The Incredible World of James Bond." Broccoli and Saltzman have executive producer credits while they had no such involvement in the 1965 special.
    I saw this special when it aired on NBC back in 1967. I would love to see it again as well as the 1965 special.

It was all in keeping with Bondmania at its height.
    In both cases, the 007 specials aired in The Man From UNCLE's normal time slot.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 512
    Watching the Bondmovies in HD is almost like you watch the films for the first time. The Bondfilms from the sixties really looks astonishing! Plus, i noticed a lot of things i didn't notice before because of the clear image. A must for every fan!