Assassin's Creed

edited August 2015 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
Grand Theft Auto got it's own thread and with the new game just announced, and a film version set for next year, now seemed like a good time to start one.

I love the series, they're my favourite games. The first AC was the first game I played on xbox 360 and it blew me away. and the sequels have been even better. Great settings to explore, fantastic stories with well fleshed out characters, parkour, climbing, sword fighting, assassinations, tomb raiding, naval battles, etc. What's not to love?

I know quite a few people think the series is being milked but I'm happy to buy the new game every year. They always add loads (look at the jump between Revelations and III), and there's always a great new setting to explore with tons to do. Well worth £40. My favourites in order

1) Assassin's Creed II
2) Assassin's Creed IV
3) Assassins Creed Revelations
4) Assassin's Creed III
5) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6) Assassin's Creed

And here's the trailer for the new one, which is called Unity. I think they've dropped the numbered titles for good now.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Oh, great news. As you know, I too love this series and can't wait to get around to playing Black Flag.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another big fan of the series right here.

Series ranking:
    1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    2. Assassin's Creed
    ---
    3. Assassin's Creed II
    4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    5. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    6. Assassin's Creed III

The first game I really liked, but the successive games didn't interest me. After AC3, I was ready to give up on the series, then came Black Flag, and my faith was restored.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, since I pretty much abandoned the series with Revelations, my rankings are:

1) Assassin's Creed II
    2) Assassin's Creed
    3) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    4) Assassin's Creed Revelations

I loved the first game, thought that the second game was a natural and welcomed progression, and then the series just adopted the one-a-year-add-little formula that COD perfected. Playing as Ezio for way too long didn't help, either. I enjoyed his story in II, thought it was decent in Brotherhood, and wanted to decapitate him in Revelations, even though I thought that game would be amazing when I saw the first trailer.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I didn't mind playing as Ezio for three games because I loved the character. He was like James Bond meets Batman, except Italian. Cool, badass but also flawed and I liked the way he developed over time.

I loved Revelations. It was a bit too similar to Brotherhood but I loved the story and the setting (Istanbul is probably my favourite city of the series). I liked the tweaks they made (the bombs, the ziplines, the improved assassin recruiting) and it still has the most exciting missions in the series imo. They improved the graphics, it was really well written and it had a great ending.

I'm one of the few that prefer it to Brotherhood, which I wasn't a huge fan of. I liked the improvements they made to combat, I liked destroying the towers, I liked recruiting the assassins and I liked the villain. But I thought it was crap story wise. Oh look, a family member died. Again. Oh look, we have to get the apple back. Again. I get that Ezio was trying to take back Rome and all the rest of it but it felt like nothing was really driving me forward. Plus I didn't like Rome, and there were some changes I didn't like. The main one being the 100 synch idea (which makes me feel like I'm shit at the game because I didn't bother chasing stupidly difficult optional objectives), and the whole city renovation thing it introduced. I liked upgrading the assassin town in two, that was a neat feature. Same with the homestead in III. But the whole city? It was too much and it became annoying for me. I couldn't buy any weapons, medicine, etc, without purchasing the shop first, and then there were "shop quests", meaning I couldn't buy the best armour.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Well, since I pretty much abandoned the series with Revelations, my rankings are:

1) Assassin's Creed II
    2) Assassin's Creed
    3) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    4) Assassin's Creed Revelations

I loved the first game, thought that the second game was a natural and welcomed progression, and then the series just adopted the one-a-year-add-little formula that COD perfected. Playing as Ezio for way too long didn't help, either. I enjoyed his story in II, thought it was decent in Brotherhood, and wanted to decapitate him in Revelations, even though I thought that game would be amazing when I saw the first trailer.

This was my thoughts as well, although I stopped after AC III, which I never finished as well as Revelations. Revelations is the worst one IMHO,I just got tired of Ezio.
    I also don't like getting a new one every year, which is probably what killed the series for me, just like COD. I'll admit that I want to play Unity because it just looks amazing. I might check out Black Flag just to see what they added since AC III.

1) AC III
    2) AC
    3) AC Brotherhood
    4) AC II
    5) AC Revelations

• edited August 2015 Posts: 12,837
    I don't really understand the praise the first game gets. I liked the setting but I thought it was very shallow and repetitive with pretty much nothing to do in the open world. The sequels were a big improvement imo.

I also don't get why people didn't like playing as Ezio for three games. The main character doesn't have to change every game, it's not like we get sick of James Bond and call for him to be replaced by another secret agent is it. Besides him staying for three games made me feel more attatched to the character than any of the others. EG- The end of Revelations. Altair dies. I didn't care, wasn't sad at all. Ezio retiring? That was sad, because I'd really grown to like him and now I wouldn't get any more games with him.

I think it's a shame that they've shied away from direct sequels since then. I would've loved a Connor sequel but that won't happen now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The first game does lack the gameplay depth of the following games, but I feel the setting and plot make up for it. And Altair, often called bland, but I saw him as stoic. And until Black Flag and it's Taff assassin, the original game was my favourite. Now it's #2.

As for Ezio, I never saw what was so special about him, nor did I ever see him as an Italian renaissance Bond. Matt Helm (the Dean Martin one of the films), yes, but not Bond.
    Ezio was a suave charismatic womaniser with gadgets who worked for a secret group of killers, he was very skilled, he killed loads of people and he was dedicated, he wouldn't stop until he got the job done.

James Bond is a suave charismatic womaniser with gadgets who works for a secret division of MI6 for trained killers, he's very skilled, he kills loads of people and he's dedicated, he won't stop until he gets the job done.

Altair was stoic but that bored me. He showed pretty much no emotion. Made sense in the context of the story (he'd been trained as an assassin since birth so I guess he wouldn't show much emotion), but he didn't entertain me at all and I think compared to the others he is a bland character.

Ezio is this Italian, charismatic James Bond type who joins the assassins for revenge but eventually realises that it wouldn't solve anything. He stays on with the assassin's though and carries on fighting for justice, then he has a bit of a mid life crisis and goes off in search of answers. He was immature and vengeful at first but he matured into a wise old master/mentor type. Connor is a hot headed Native American who joined the assassin's to protect his village. He's an outsider and he's more at home with the animals than he is in the city with loads of people but he was very skilled and he always wanted to do the right thing. Edward is a pirate captain who actually causes some grief for the assassin's early on but doesn't care, he wants nothing but treasure. But then he slowly loses everything and he realises what a dick he's been, joining the assassins to make things right.

Compared to these, Altair is a bland character imo. A stoic emotionless man who was born into the assassins. Revelations redeemed him a bit, making him less emotionless and giving him a bit more of a backstory but he still wasn't on the same level as the others imo.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    One thing I didn't understand: back when AC3 came out, I saw so much internet hate because the game was set in the US, with the haters saying it was, and I quote "overused in the AC series". I just don't get it at all.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I don't really understand the praise the first game gets. I liked the setting but I thought it was very shallow and repetitive with pretty much nothing to do in the open world. The sequels were a big improvement imo.

I only rank the first game high on my list because it was an amazing game for it's time, I also haven't played it since the second game came out. It was unique and brought something new to the table. The sequels after it brought a few new things to the game but they didn't have that overall "something new" feeling the first game had.

I also don't get why people didn't like playing as Ezio for three games. The main character doesn't have to change every game, it's not like we get sick of James Bond and call for him to be replaced by another secret agent is it.

The difference between James Bond and AC is that Bond is stuck in one time period (or at least modern day) and he can travel around the world doing different missions. A single AC is limited to one time period but the series can explore any time in history but to do that you have to change your main character.
    I enjoyed AC II and AC Brotherhood a little bit more but by the time AC Revelations came out I was just done with Ezio, the setting, and the time period. I wanted something new and AC III was a breath of fresh air. I'm not opposed to having a direct sequel, I just don't want it to happen a lot and I really don't want a third game in that series.
    Side note: I really want the series to go to ancient Japan. I would love to run around as a Ninja.

I'd like to see one set in Victorian England. It'd be perfect for parkour, there are tons of great buildings to climb (Big Ben!) and you could have Jack The Ripper as one of the targets. You could start the game as an orphan forced to work in a factory or something but gets rescued by the assassins. Or you could have Victorian India, that'd be a good setting.

Or if Medieval England, set in London and the countryside around it. You could have one mission where you go up north and meet Robin Hood. Ancient Egypt or Ancient Rome could also be good settings.

Another setting I think could work is Viking times. Assassinating somebody during a big viking raid could be cool and they had sailing and wilderness exploring/hunting in the last two games. The problem is there wouldn't be any cities which would piss off some fans (I wouldn't mind as long as the wilderness was big and varied).

An Asian setting could work, but I'd go with China rather than Japan. There are tons of ninja games and this series usually likes going to unique time periods. There was that short film that came with Revelations, where Ezio dies and he trains the Chinese girl. You could play as her.

I also think World War 1 could work. World War 2 is a bit overdone in games imo (and the weapons would be too advanced) but I'd like to see World War 1. They could expand the battle bits from AC III. You could run from one trench across no mans land to the enemy trench where you have to assassinate somebody. They could even chuck in a Blackadder reference.

That's what's great about these games, they could go anywhere, the possibilities are endless. They could potentially carry on making these for decades.
    The 'battle runs' were one of the worst things about AC3. Though I like the idea of a Victorian England set game, with Jack The Ripper as one of the targets (so that's how he was never caught).
    Modern Day Dubai, get to climb that big tower the name of which I can never remember.
    I was thinking about the film today and I had an idea. For the animus sections, use mocap, like they did for Tintin and Avatar, and then use live action for the Desmond stuff. That way the historical settings will look really convincing and the fighting/parkour will be easier for them to do.

Also, if there's a sequel, then they can get Ezio's voice actor from the games to play him, even though he looks nothing like him. You still have Michael Fassbender as Desmond, so there's still star power, and you won't piss off fans of the game by ruining the most popular character.

I also think that the people making the film should watch this video. The film should aspire to be as amazing as this.

The 'battle runs' were one of the worst things about AC3.

Why didn't you like them?
    Modern Day Dubai, get to climb that big tower the name of which I can never remember.

I don't think an entirely modern day assassin's creed would work. Cars and modern weaponry would ruin it and part of what makes the series special for me is exploring these great settings, finding out more about that time period and meeting historical figures like Da Vinci and Blackbeard.
    The 'battle runs' were one of the worst things about AC3.

They felt as though they were thrown in to slow my progress down. Those missions coupled with Conner (who lacked the cold stoicism of Altair and the Swagger of Edward), as well as the flag waving killed AC3 for me. I never finished it, and I don't care to know how it ended.
    I thought that bunker hill battle mission was the highlight of the game. Running through Boston as cannons tore it apart and then running across the battlefield, sneaking into the camp and assassinating the general, I thought it was by far the best mission.

I can see what they were going for with Connor but I don't think it quite worked. I get that they wanted to make him different to Ezio, and I liked how he was a flawed, human character, but the problem was that he just wasn't very likeable at times imo, with his sudden outbursts. I really liked him and I did prefer him to Altair and Desmond but he wasn't as good as Ezio and Edward imo. He was an interesting character but he wasn't always a likeable one which meant he didn't appeal to a lot of people. I would've liked a sequel though, I'd warmed to him by the end and I appreciated what they were going for with him.

I didn't think the game had much flag waving which was weird because the marketing really made it seem like it would be. The Americans are painted in just as bad a light as the British in the end. George Washington burnt Connor's village down and Connor and other characters point out throughout the game just how hypocritical their war for freedom is (the best example of this is the epilouge, Connor watches the British soldiers leave as the Americans celebrate their freedom then turns around to see a slave being sold).

• Since not many on the forum are interested in AC I've decided to stop clogging up the upcoming games thread with news about it. Instead I'll post it here.

So a lot has happened since I last posted in here. Two new games are coming out, Unity and Rogue. Unity looks amazing. Rogue looks perhaps a bit too similar to IV but it'll still be fun and I think the story will save it. It's set during the massive time jump that happened in AC III (where you switch from Haytham to Connor) so it's going to fill in the gaps there and show how the assassins ended up in the bad state they were in when Connor joined, as well as having links back to AC IV. It's going to tie up the whole Kenway saga.

Anyway, I wanted to post this. Look who's back http://t.co/AHSvPK8yYd

This game is set what, 30 or 40 years after AC IV? I think he must be 60 by now and he's still a total badass. I'm really glad Adewale is back but I think he's gonna end up dying :( And what happened to his Machete? That thing was brutal, I loved using it in Freedom Cry. Now he's using a normal sword.

I wonder if he'll meet Haytham? That'd be interesting since he was good mates with his dad.

Wait... Keith David is an Assassin? ;)

Going up against the Assassin's is gonna be weird.
  • Wait... Keith David is an Assassin? ;)

Going up against the Assassin's is gonna be weird.

Yeah I agree it'll be weird but in a good way. I think that playing as a Templar will elevate this from an AC IV clone to a great game in it's own right. I read an interview yesterday with the people behind the game and playing as a Templar with assassin training sounds cool.

Since you're not restricted by the assassins creed anymore, you can do anything you want to achieve your objective, including killing innocent people. So you could use the new grenade launcher to kill a bunch of people on the street in order to lure some guards away for example.

But even though I'm excited for Rogue I don't think it's going to compare at all to Unity. That game is going to be amazing, the more I hear about it, the more excited I am.

I think they should have released Rogue earlier. It's coming out on the same day as Unity which I think was a bad move because AC fans with xbox ones and ps4s, who might have bought Rogue if it was out earlier, now won't bother because Unity will be out then.

I'm going to get Rogue at some point but not when it first comes out. Unity I've pre ordered so I can play it day one.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I don't plan on getting a PS4, not this year, so Unity isn't even on my radar. I might hold out on getting Rogue, with the release date conflict, a price cut might come into effect to tempt gamers. So I could give it a week after release and see.
  • I bought an Xbox One recently. I'd been debating getting one for a while but Unity was the tipping point for me.

Yeah I'm going to wait before getting Rogue. As well as Unity and Rogue there are a few other games I want like Alien Isolation, Far Cry 4 and FIFA 15. I don't have the time or money to play all of these right away so some will have to wait. I think I'll get AC Unity and Alien when they come out. Far Cry, Fifa and AC Rogue can all wait.
    Some interesting info about Rogue and Unity

*Shay, the main character in Rogue, is a soldier turned assassin who, at the start of the game, is a crew member on a ship being captained by Adewale. But something traumatic happens that makes him turn against the Assassin's and join the Templars.

*Shay's ship is noticeably faster and more manouverable than the ship you get in AC IV.

*Arno, the main character in Unity, is from Versailles. He's from a wealthy family and is the son of an assassin. His dad was killed when he was young and out of respect, a Templar adopted and raised Arno, but he also dies. It's the death of his adoptive dad that leads to Arno joining the Assassins because he's looking for redemption. His love interest is a Templar and the daughter of his adopted dad.

*Rogue's world is massive, the biggest in any AC game. It's split into three different areas (the Arctic, the River Valley and New York) and the Arctic alone is the size of the Carribean in Black Flag.

*Unity's world isn't as big but it's much more detailed. You can now go inside loads of buildings (not just shops and bases) which adds a whole other layer to the game.

*Shay's main weapons are an air rifle (which can fire loads of different dart types), a grenade launcher and he dual wields a sword and a dagger.

*Arno's main weapons are whatever you like. Swords, axes, daggers, rifle, etc. He's completely customisable. You could give him loads of armour and level up his combat making him a walking tank. Or you could turn him into a ninja, no armour with high stealth. You could level up his ranged weapons or his melee combat. It's all up to you.

*You can kill civillians now in Rogue because you're a Templar. You can do anything you want to complete your mission.

*New York in Rogue is different to New York in AC 3. It's been "reimagined".

*Achilles (Connors mentor) is in AC Rogue, in his prime. Before he was crippled.

*You can change Arno's appearance completely. Not just the colour of his clothes like in the other games, you can actually change them. There's much more customisation.

*As well as filling in the gaps with AC III and linking back to AC IV, Rogue's story ties into Unity somehow.
    I was just rewatching The Mask of Zorro a few hours ago and it got me wanting an AC in the Spanish West.
  • Some cool stuff I found out: In Unity the stealth is a lot like Splinter Cell. You use left trigger to crouch and move into cover and if you're spotted but manage to slip out of sight, a sort of ghost of you will appear where the guards last saw you.

In Rogue, enemies can now board your ship and try to take it in the same way you board theirs. So you'll have to defend your boat from Assassin's (because Shay is a Templar).

And I just read an amazing fan theory:

The pocket watch we see in the trailers for Unity is a big deal. It's been featured a lot in the marketing. In one trailer we see Arno looking at the watch then running off and saving his Templar girlfriend from having her head chopped off. But as someone pointed out, he left it really late for a rescue attempt. Why wait until then?

Well the theory is that he wasn't looking at the watch for the time. He was feeling conflicted (because he loves this girl, but she's a Templar so he wasn't sure about saving her) and when he was looking at the watch he was deciding what to do. The watch is (in this theory) a piece of eden which sort of helps you make decisions, it sees into your mind and tells you what to do.

Now, a couple of hundred years before Unity, in the short film that Ubisoft released on Xbox Live, Ezio (who had retired years ago at the end of Revelations) helped train that Chinese Assassin before dying of a heart attack. Before she left, Ezio gave her a wooden box and told her to open it when she felt lost or something like that.

Arno's watch apparently has EA enscribed on it, which people thought meant Elise (the Templar girl) and Arno. But this theory I think has figured it out: the EA stands for Ezio Auditore. The magic watch is what was in the box.

Again jumping forward a couple of hundred years, we have Freedom Cry, the AC IV DLC. In the DLC, Adewale (the best friend and quartermaster of Edward, the main protagonist in AC IV) is now a full fledged assassin with his own ship and gear. Here Ezio's box has fallen into Templar hands and Adewale is sent to get it back. He does this but then he's shipwrecked in Port Au Prince and he ends up staying for a while and helping fight against slavery there. But anyway, Adewale has the box (with the watch in) now.

Then, jumping forward 20 years or so, we have AC Rogue. Adewale, for whatever reason, is now helping the Assassins around the Atlantic (in America and The Arctic). Shay Cormac, an Irish Assassin turned Templar, kills Adewale (the game isn't out yet but it's pretty obvious that's what will happen). It's safe to assume that he takes the watch after this.

Again going back to Unity: Arno's dad was an Assassin killed by a Templar who raised Arno out of respect for his enemy, before being killed himself by the Assassins. In the theory I've read, Shay was that Templar. We know that he won't stay in America at the end of Rogue, because he wasn't in AC III. But since we know from AC III that the Templars in Rogue win, I doubt he'll die either. So him going to France and helping the Templars there would explain why he's not one of Connor's targets. So Shay raises Arno and that's why Arno has Ezio's watch, Shay gave it to him.

I think this is a really cool theory that has a strong chance of being true. It would also explain why they're releasing that side scrolling game with Shao Jun in China, it's because that box (with the watch in) plays a role in Unity's story. And if it is true it would link all the games together, which is nice.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch in Assassin’s Creed.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html

09e65040c3fd16923aab811d4da2522ff4dc3a71.jpg

Based on the massively popular — and prolific — video-game series of the same name, Creed is set to open in theaters Dec. 21, 2016.

Before hardcore Creed gamers start scratching their heads (and filling up the comments) about how exactly Callum Lynch fits into the game world, we can tell you that Fassbender’s character was created specifically for the film version. (The movie isn’t retelling any of the existing Creed games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.)

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.
    At least they're doing it the right way.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    As a fan of the games (as a whole), i'm glad that they aren't making an adaption of any specific game. though I would like to see some references to the characters, especially Edward and Altair. That's unlikely, but it would be a nice touch.
  • Looks promising so far, really glad they're going with an original story. The outfit is interesting because he's wearing black rather than white which, in the games, often signifies a master assassin. Maybe we won't get an origin story or anything for the ancestor, he'll be a full fledged assassin already and the main focus will be on the present? I really hope not but I can imagine some dumb studio exec choosing to focus more on the modern day because it'd be more easily marketable/appeal to more people.

To be honest I wish they'd just ditched the modern day altogether and gone for a full on period piece but I understand why they didn't. I really hope they don't dumb down the historical story. That was what really made Unity crap for me.

Update of my ranking (including Rogue and Unity)

1) AC II
    2) AC IV
    3) AC Rogue
    4) AC Revelations
    5) AC III

6) AC Brotherhood
    7) AC

8) AC Unity
    The modern day is vital, they said, which is a good thing. The modern day was important to the games, as well, but too many people complain about it.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I don't have a problem with the modern days sequences. No, the problem was with Desmond, who lacked a personality. That might have changed if they have made a modern day AC game with Desmond. But the fun of the series, has been playing in those time periods loooong gone.