Bond villains who could have survived

edited March 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 13
First thread!

Now, it's generally agreed that messing with James Bond, his country, or anyone he cares about is not an avenue one should pursue should one hope to live a long and productive life. Nevertheless, it seems there were several of his opponents whose fates were decidedly ambiguous. This is the thread for discussing them. Sometimes the ambiguity could've been intentional, other times it was down to silly special effects in their death scenes. The following villains, I think, require a bit more proof before we can declare them dead.

Morzeny: He hit the water quite soon after being lit on fire. Third-degree burns yes, dead? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he joined the Russian Army? *shot*

Osato's Driver: The bonk to the head he received looked only slightly more fatal than the tap on the shoulder that apparently killed the dad in Tommy. You'd think someone from the same family as Dwayne Johnson could endure more than that...

Mr. Kidd: See Morzeny. Could he live without his boyfriend, though?

Whisper: This is more about WANTING him to survive than actually thinking he did. Whisper was a horrible person, true, but I don't think anyone deserves suffocation. Sure hope Bond let the CIA know he was in there.

General Koskov: Yeah, I doubt the Russians would be very happy with him when he got home, but he's still one of the very few Bond villains whose ultimate defeat involves no bodily injury in any way.

Anyone think of anyone else?

Moved to Bond Movies / Disco

Comments

• ACK! Should've been in movies! Delete!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,400
    I remember there was at one point a plan to have Boris survive being frozen in liquid nitrogen (Yeah I know, I facepalmed too) and have him return in another film.

Also, the second post wasn't needed: it's very easy to change the category.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Irma Bunt, the only villain to have survived or avoid facing retribution. I wonder what happened to her after she shot Tracy? Changed her appearance and lived under a different identity? Perhaps. Protected by Blofeld, in some sort of safe house? Possibly...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,800
    Dr_Roberts wrote:
    ACK! Should've been in movies! Delete!

You only have to press the edit button at the top of your post to edit it and the thread title, @Dr_Roberts. I believe that is the name of the doctor in the LALD novel, yes? Welcome to our community.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Irma Bunt, the only villain to have survived or avoid facing retribution. I wonder what happened to her after she shot Tracy? Changed her appearance and lived under a different identity? Perhaps. Protected by Blofeld, in some sort of safe house? Possibly...

Unfortunately, we'll never know. In the book, she was killed, but the actress who played her died before they started filming DAF, so they couldn't clear up the Bond Revenge thing.
    Dr_Roberts wrote:
    First thread!

Now, it's generally agreed that messing with James Bond, his country, or anyone he cares about is not an avenue one should pursue should one hope to live a long and productive life. Nevertheless, it seems there were several of his opponents whose fates were decidedly ambiguous. This is the thread for discussing them. Sometimes the ambiguity could've been intentional, other times it was down to silly special effects in their death scenes. The following villains, I think, require a bit more proof before we can declare them dead.

Morzeny: He hit the water quite soon after being lit on fire. Third-degree burns yes, dead? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he joined the Russian Army? *shot*

Osato's Driver: The bonk to the head he received looked only slightly more fatal than the tap on the shoulder that apparently killed the dad in Tommy. You'd think someone from the same family as Dwayne Johnson could endure more than that...

Mr. Kidd: See Morzeny. Could he live without his boyfriend, though?

Whisper: This is more about WANTING him to survive than actually thinking he did. Whisper was a horrible person, true, but I don't think anyone deserves suffocation. Sure hope Bond let the CIA know he was in there.

General Koskov: Yeah, I doubt the Russians would be very happy with him when he got home, but he's still one of the very few Bond villains whose ultimate defeat involves no bodily injury in any way.

Anyone think of anyone else?

Someone else thinks about this besides me! Yes! I have often wondered just how many Bond villains have been left without a definite conclusion as to their fate. Truthfully, there are more than you think! Here are some that I can recall:

Rhoda: Bond pushed him out of the boat quite soon after taking off, so we could probably assume that he swam back to the dock and somehow managed to contact SPECTRE, which might explain how Rosa Klebb knew that Bond and Tatiana were headed to Venice

SPECTRE #3: We see him and the other technicians flee the control room during the climax at Blofeld's volcano lair, so assuming that they knew a way out of the lair unknown to Tiger, Bond, and the ninjas, they could have escaped to safety; it's also possible that they used the same river tunnel exit, in which case SPECTRE #3 and his cohorts probably would have drowned

Jaws' Assistant: The guy who helped Jaws trap Bond and Holly in the cable car in Rio- what happened to him? (he was so minor that it really doesn't matter, but still, just for the sake of wondering)

Lenkin: Knowing the severity of treason in the Soviet Union, could it be assumed that General Gogol had Lenkin executed for his part in General Orlov's scheme? Or could Gogol have merely sent him to prison or a work camp for a period of time?

Professor Joe Butcher: Assuming that the government of Isthmus did not track down all of Sanchez's associates after the cocaine lab went up in flames, what happened to Butcher? Could he have founded another "Olympatec Institute" and fooled more ignorant civilians into draining their pockets for his "cause"?

General Chang: Knowing the severity of treason in Communist China, was General Chang ever arrested and executed for his part in Carver's plot to wage war between China and Britain? If not, what became of him?

• Renard-I know he surely died in the explosion, and i know the plutonium rod probably punctured most of his internal organs, but I always thought it was dumb how he was impaled on the non-pointy end of the rod-more of a personal gripe than anything else

Yusef-though Bond claimed that he left him alive, i think he could have gotten away in the time Bond seemingly left him alone when he went outside. I know Bond probably beat the crap out of him, but he still left him alone and alive for a while. So not so much as he could've survived, more like he could have escaped

Severine's bodyguards-we never see any of them die, do we? Doesn't Moneypenny just step on the guy's face? And the one who fought Bond in the lizard pit, are we really supposed to believe that he got eaten by the komodo dragon? Has a komodo dragon ever killed a person before?

Baron Samedi-was that a ghost? is he really a voodoo god?

Gettler-Bond shoots him in the eye with a nail gun. Now, i'm not expert, but I don't think impaled eyes are fatal. Did the nail puncture his brain? Well, when Bond was shot in the back with the gun, it only penetrated about a half-inch, and even then the gun seemed like it needed time to charge up.

• RC7RC7
    Yusef-though Bond claimed that he left him alive, i think he could have gotten away in the time Bond seemingly left him alone when he went outside. I know Bond probably beat the crap out of him, but he still left him alone and alive for a while. So not so much as he could've survived, more like he could have escaped.

I was under the impression that Yusef was almost certainly still alive. He'd just had a 'talking to' from Bond. Somebody mentioned a while back the idea of Bond having to team up with Yusef, possibly @Brady, which I thought was quite a cool idea, although I fear that too much time may have passed for that to be put into practice. It certainly would have provided a very unique dynamic.
  • That Ultimate Guide to James Bond, or whatever it was called, confirmed Morzeny's and Mr. Kidd's deaths, and implies Whisper's and Koskov's. Not sure how official it is.
    What about Dr. Krutze? George Pravda said he survives his sea bath on TB. I tend to take this assessment as "word of god", but... I still have some doubts...
  • BGDBGD
    <blockquote>That Ultimate Guide to James Bond, or whatever it was called, confirmed Morzeny's and Mr. Kidd's deaths, and implies Whisper's and Koskov's. Not sure how official it is.</blockquote>
    It's not official in the slightest...
  • Valenko...poisoned Bond and was never to be seen again.

Valenko...poisoned Bond and was never to be seen again.

She was shot by Mr. White and I think it is pretty official.

I wished Koskov had survived, but find it doubtful. He was far from threatening and this is a mistake of an otherwise solid TLD, but he was perfectly cast and it would have been great to see him as a semi-nemesis for Dalton Bond, say in a Bond movie between LTK and GE. Anyway, he was most likely executed, but given his resilience and cunning in the movie, if someone could have survived, its him.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Bambi and Thumper never got a comeuppance. Just a bad swimming lesson with bond.
    Bambi and Thumper never got a comeuppance. Just a bad swimming lesson with bond.

I'm fairly certain that they were arrested by the CIA once Felix and the gang arrived at the penthouse.
    00Beast wrote:

I'm fairly certain that they were arrested by the CIA once Felix and the gang arrived at the penthouse.

Yes but they didn't die. I thought about writing a fan fic about the few villains who survived and got captured, have them all in a top secret high security prison, where they try to escape. Maybe with the assistance of an outsider, say Irma Bunt.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Any chance Zorin could theoretically have survived his plunge? I'd have said no, but then the Bond universe gave us Skyfall...
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Mr White!
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Mr White!

We KNOW this one is alive and well. We can be fairly sure of it anyway.
    Ludovico wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Yes but they didn't die. I thought about writing a fan fic about the few villains who survived and got captured, have them all in a top secret high security prison, where they try to escape. Maybe with the assistance of an outsider, say Irma Bunt.

I thought about doing the same, and having Koskov as the leader of the pack, in a scenario where he managed to slip out of Pushkin's execution and rise back to leadership as a Soviet "Iron Man".
  • I kinda like the idea of Irma running a "support network" for escaped Bond villains. She is the one and only villain to have received no punishment whatsoever, after all.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Did Elvis's fire resistant neck brace save him? I can't remember.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Kerim wrote:

Judging by these images, I'd say no.
    http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_1861.htm

http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_1862.htm

Especially the second one. Blimey, it blew his pants clean off.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Benny wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

Judging by these images, I'd say no.
    http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_1861.htm

http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_1862.htm

Especially the second one. Blimey, it blew his pants clean off.

What a...burn?

That sort of thing could get a man...fired.

I think he was...hot...for...you.
    15402.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock

"That's enough."
    "Yeah."

@hildebrand_rarity, I thought the same thing about Gettler: the nail was extruding a good bit, and I don't think that would've been considered an instant death. But, if the nail didn't get him, the collapsing building sure would've.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @hildebrand_rarity, I thought the same thing about Gettler: the nail was extruding a good bit, and I don't think that would've been considered an instant death. But, if the nail didn't get him, the collapsing building sure would've.

Craig really nailed it there. Good scene.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Craig really nailed it there. Good scene.

Anyone else cringe as much as me when the elevator falls on top of "Tall Man"? That's got to be one of the most excruciating villain deaths.