Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,380
    Mrs Bond

10369431_252441501625079_1995461491_n.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DING DONG!

Hello, Mrs.Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    I feel for Aki and her death is a sad one.
    You're making me tear up here...
    :(
    WHY WAS SHE TAKEN FROM US?! WHY?!?! :((
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Under different circumstances, i'd be all for Weisz as a Bond Girl.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I still am.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote:
    I still am.
    I'm all under those circumstances!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,787
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.
    She is! But not more so than Akiko Wakabayashi.

I find her more appealing than Hama as well.

I'm with you gents, I'd take Akiko over Mie any day of the week. There's something about Akiko that is just oh so beautiful.

And I enjoy Aki more than Kissy in the film as well. I feel Aki had depth and a real connection with Bond, while Kissy was only in the film because 007 was picky about wanting a pretty "wife." She's boring and forgettable at best, while I feel for Aki and her death is a sad one.

I think that Mae Hama who played Kissy was going to commit "honourable suicide" as she had been turned down for the main role of Aki (so as not to lose face) and so she was drafted in as Kissy instead by the obviously concerned producers/director.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    I still am.
    I'm all under those circumstances!

2499461-1394410947285.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

I'm with you gents, I'd take Akiko over Mie any day of the week. There's something about Akiko that is just oh so beautiful.

And I enjoy Aki more than Kissy in the film as well. I feel Aki had depth and a real connection with Bond, while Kissy was only in the film because 007 was picky about wanting a pretty "wife." She's boring and forgettable at best, while I feel for Aki and her death is a sad one.

I think that Mae Hama who played Kissy was going to commit "honourable suicide" as she had been turned down for the main role of Aki (so as not to lose face) and so she was drafted in as Kissy instead by the obviously concerned producers/director.

Did she threaten to do that out of depression or just shamefulness? I think I've heard of people a part of the Japanese culture who kill themselves because of their shame at having doing or not doing something or because of the disappointment they would be to their family.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited June 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

Did she threaten to do that out of depression or just shamefulness? I think I've heard of people a part of the Japanese culture who kill themselves because of their shame at having doing or not doing something or because of the disappointment they would be to their family.

I've heard this before. Some sources says she just swapped roles with Akiko, others says that she was going to commit suicide. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is true, as these kind of things were part of the plot for Fleming's You Only Live Twice.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

I've heard this before. Some sources says she just swapped roles with Akiko, others says that she was going to commit suicide. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is true, as these kind of things were part of the plot for Fleming's You Only Live Twice.

I know seppuku is a Japanese form of suicide used in olden times by samurai wishing to die with honor, but there is also a group who will kill themselves due to personal shame. That's why I was curious whether that was why Mae threatened to do it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She was probably a Shinto. They were crazy.
    JamesPage wrote:
    Mrs Bond

Ding dong!!!
    :x
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

No, not depression, but shamefulness to her family for not getting the role. It has all to do with the Japanese code of honour which we Westerners often fail to grasp.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

No, not depression, but shamefulness to her family for not getting the role. It has all to do with the Japanese code of honour which we Westerners often fail to grasp.

I grasp it fine, I just don't think it sensible to off myself if I lost out on a movie role that was a very minor part. I say this with respect to the Japanese culture in which I have an interest, of course.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,787
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Mie Hama is beautiful.

I grasp it fine, I just don't think it sensible to off myself if I lost out on a movie role that was a very minor part. I say this with respect to the Japanese culture in which I have an interest, of course.

No, I don't get it either but it's a different way of life over there. And not every Japanese is like this either I guess.
    Asian nations do seem to place very strict pressure on successes and achievements, but as I said, this is maybe when it can go too far. I'm of the mind that mistakes make us who we are just as much as our successes. How else are we supposed to learn about ourselves or better who we are otherwise? Anyway, the Japanese are definitely a fascinating lot. I took a course last semester on Japanese Language and Culture and it was very interesting, especially in regards to the beliefs and teachings of the Shinto religion, how they go about their daily lives and the importance of their gardens to the culture as a whole; I even designed one myself.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Asian nations do seem to place very strict pressure on successes and achievements, but as I said, this is maybe when it can go too far. I'm of the mind that mistakes make us who we are just as much as our successes. How else are we supposed to learn about ourselves or better who we are otherwise? Anyway, the Japanese are definitely a fascinating lot. I took a course last semester on Japanese Language and Culture and it was very interesting, especially in regards to the beliefs and teachings of the Shinto religion, how they go about their daily lives and the importance of their gardens to the culture as a whole; I even designed one myself.

Well you still make a typically westerners mistake, that human life is worth a lot. It isn't. Not to a nation which finds honour to be the highest value there is. The ultimate sacrifice, your life, just shows your family how high you regard them. Thus self sacrifice, even when it comes to a 'minor' role (mind you, in a worldwide seen movie!) isn't that odd.

Mind you, I'm a westerner as well and I prefer the trial and error type of living. It's just more fun. Dying is something I prefer to do at the end, not too early.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    10473780_10152085940576863_8071852754525088759_n.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well! Muchas gracias, this is a great Friday!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That's a good look right there. Thanks JP!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well! Muchas gracias, this is a great Friday!

She can't understand you, @Creasy. You must speak to her in Danish. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:
    Mrs Bond

Ding dong!!!
    :x

Please show some respect for married women, or this thread will be closed.
    JamesPage wrote:

I think i maybe going blind? B-)
    That won't make you go blind. ;))
    That won't make you go blind. ;))

Who said that? :-S
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    JamesPage wrote:

But my Birthday is on the 17th. :x
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,350
    What lovely, clean, fluffy pillows.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    What lovely, clean, fluffy pillows.

Right? So smooth and comfortable looking...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    That's a rather cheeky picture.