Best goon scene in a Bond movie

edited February 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,425
I have always been a big fan of goons in Bond movies - the boiler-suited henchmen and loyal but often nameless thugs who work in droves for any self-respecting Bond villain. I almost feared that after Austin Powers, goons had been lampooned to death, so I was very glad to see a horde of faceless killers descend on Bond's home in Skyfall - a nice old school touch.

My favourite goon scenes are however the fight that Connery has with an army of them on the roof of the dock building in YOLT as I love the music, panther-like movements of Bond and the overhead shot. And of course I reserve a special place for the definitive 'villain showing zero humanity' scene, when Max Zorin machine-guns his own goons in the mine during AVTAK.

What's your favourite and why?

Comments

I don't think anything can beat the ending of DN, when Crab Key is blowing up and they are running away. But the beginning of FRWL is great too. Pretty much all SPECTRE's goons' scenes of the early movies were great.
  • I love the bit in the DAF PTS where Connery throws scalpels into one of the goons because the actor playing the henchman really overacts, always found that quite funny.
  • It might have too much of Bond's awesomeness, but Bond and Sandor was pretty great. SPECTRE Island is also just perfect. Dozens upon dozens of mooks in a secret training facility (with its own island) doing everything from dodging flamethrowers to hand-to-hand combat? Tell me a way to make that better.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 316
    I always liked the goon scenes in Portgual at the beginning of OHMSS-the ones on the beach, at the hotel, and at Draco's office. its funny, the first 30 minutes of OHMSS are basically uninterrupted action, gambling, and sex
    I love the bit in the DAF PTS where Connery throws scalpels into one of the goons because the actor playing the henchman really overacts, always found that quite funny.

Those had to be the most unconvincing goons ever. They looked like a couple of slightly out of shape blokes from the crew who had been picked to fill in at the last minute.
    Getafix wrote:
    I have always been a big fan of goons in Bond movies - the boiler-suited henchmen and loyal but often nameless thugs who work in droves for any self-respecting Bond villain. I almost feared that after Austin Powers, goons had been lampooned to death, so I was very glad to see a horde of faceless killers descend on Bond's home in Skyfall - a nice old school touch.

My favourite goon scenes are however the fight that Connery has with an army of them on the roof of the dock building in YOLT as I love the music, panther-like movements of Bond and the overhead shot. And of course I reserve a special place for the definitive 'villain showing zero humanity' scene, when Max Zorin machine-guns his own goons in the mine during AVTAK.

What's your favourite and why?

I always get a good laugh from that scene in YOLT, you can clearly see Connery's Punches landing miles from the Goon's faces as the camera pans back, it always reminds me of the Batman TV show from the 60's.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The goon scene in Tomorrow Never Dies in the sound-proof room was pretty good, for my money at least.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,778
    For me my favorite "goon scene" is far and away Bond and his stunt double vs. Zorin's thugs in AVTAK. Comic gold. :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Blofeld and his goons chasing Bond after his escape from Piz Gloria stands out for me. The action, the cinematography, the score-everything is just perfect.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Birdleson wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The goon scene in Tomorrow Never Dies in the sound-proof room was pretty good, for my money at least.
    That is a great one.

That's not a bad scene...I like it when Bond smashes the ash tray over the goon's head and then the pissed off look he gives, but I think Broz overdoes it a bit with the grunts when they are beating him up.

Best goon scene for me is the poor sod who "had lots of guts". Despite the poorly dubbed line it is quite grisly and you kind of feel sorry for him. The Piz Gloria showdown is epic.

Worst goon scene has to still be the warehouse fight in AVTAK. Laughable!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Best goon scene for me is the poor sod who "had lots of guts". Despite the poorly dubbed line it is quite grisly and you kind of feel sorry for him. The Piz Gloria showdown is epic.

That was a great line. It does not translate well to Norwegian. I believe the subtext said "He was very brave." Makes no sense whatsoever, :))

The AVTAK scene belongs in a Naked Gun movie, so agree about that.
    BAIN123 wrote:

That was a great line. It does not translate well to Norwegian. I believe the subtext said "He was very brave." Makes no sense whatsoever, :))

The AVTAK scene belongs in a Naked Gun movie, so agree about that.

The goon fights in general are badly edited/performed in AVTAK.
  • Blofeld and his goons chasing Bond after his escape from Piz Gloria stands out for me. The action, the cinematography, the score-everything is just perfect.

A huge +1 here.
  • I couldn't pick out any one favorite, but the first instances that came to mind would be when Bond is in Hamburg and set upon by Carvers heavies in the soundproofed room and the aforementioned Bond in You Only Live Twice as Connery dodges the thugs on the rooftop. Not to mention the mayhem at the volcano lair from the same release as Blofeld makes his escape

Got to include the hockey instance in Cortina from For Your Eyes Only when Moore fights off the three "players" and when Moore again deals with the intruders on the Octopussy island in the subsequent release. The sequence on the beach for the opening of On Her Majestys Secret Service has been mentioned also, and is worthy of inclusion
  • Birdleson wrote:
    I like the guys who pick up Connery at the airport in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. The whole scene and the ride in the car that follows are pretty funny. Among the trio of goons are a relatively young Sid Haig and the guy who, playing the same character two films later, would lose the duel with Scaramanga in the pre-title sequence for THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

That particular goon has MY favorite goon moment a little later in DAF, when he throws Plenty O'Toole out of the window of Bond's hotel room...then dead-pans the comment: "I didn't know there was a pool down dere."

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    From the same flick: "I got a brudder."
    Then Connery's famous comeback.
  • "His name's Jaws , he kills people" No love for the classic Moonraker scene on the ski lift ? Love that scene.
    Well the greatest chase scene in the series for me is the ski chase at night in OHMSS, and since it has goons, I guess that one.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Coldfinger wrote:
    "His name's Jaws , he kills people" No love for the classic Moonraker scene on the ski lift ? Love that scene.

Ski lift? Not much snow in Rio.

Cable car. ;-)
  • Coldfinger wrote:
    "His name's Jaws , he kills people" No love for the classic Moonraker scene on the ski lift ? Love that scene.

Ski lift? Not much snow in Rio.

Cable car. ;-)

Errr ya, what you said. :-p

Yes, the goons chasing Bond after he escapes from Piz Gloria is a classic.
  • Elvis getting tripped.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I love the bit in the DAF PTS where Connery throws scalpels into one of the goons because the actor playing the henchman really overacts, always found that quite funny.

Those had to be the most unconvincing goons ever. They looked like a couple of slightly out of shape blokes from the crew who had been picked to fill in at the last minute.

So much in DAF looked cheap. But I will remain on point. You all mention some favorable scenes. I think the one in TND in the soundproof room was a good Brosnan moment.

Bond's fight with the Driver in YOLT was memorable for me.

The fight with the big blond goon at Piz Gloria before Bond dons his skis and makes his escape down the mountain.
  • Dario spitting on Bond's face.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The hockey guys in FYEO. What goons.
    Not sure if Hinx is a goon but I liked him
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Goons in SP who after Bond escapes from his torture, kindly just stand still while he shoots them one by one...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The fight under the stables in AVTAK.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The fight under the stables in AVTAK.

That scene is so weirdly/badly edited! :))

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The correct term is Henchman/men.

Largos henchman all dressed the same are pretty special....they even have a uniform.