Bond films you've changed your opinion on

edited January 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 10
This may have been done before, so apologies if it has.

Basically, are there any - if so, which - Bond films that you've changed your opinion on in the years you've been watching them?

I've changed my mind a bit on Octopussy. Remember thinking it was crap the first time I watched it but watched it the other night and it's gone way up in my estimation. It's not a classic by any means but it's entertaining and tends to hold its quality pretty well over the course of the film.

Comments

• I originally held QOS in considerably higher regard than I now do.

Also, I used to rate FYEO as high as No. 2, but it has slipped into the middle of the pack, and I don't expect to move from there.
    I recently saw TND. I always had TND at the very bottom (maybe 18 or 19th out of 23) of my Bond list. However, I found the last viewing quite enjoyable. A fast-pace movie, with lots of action, a fairer ranking may be 13th or 14th.

I used to hate OHMSS (to be fair I was only a child at the time) but it's definitely one of my very favs now.
    Skyfall wasn't quite as incredible as I thought, but still way up there in my ranking. I've grown to love Dr. No more and more with each watch. I've also grown to love living daylights a lot more than i used to.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Radebe wrote:
    I've changed my mind a bit on Octopussy. Remember thinking it was crap the first time I watched it but watched it the other night and it's gone way up in my estimation. It's not a classic by any means but it's entertaining and tends to hold its quality pretty well over the course of the film.
    When it came out back in the day, I didn't like it too much, and Connery's NSNA was the cat's whiskers. Now it's totally switched.
    Also, I wasn't a really big fan of LTK when I first saw it, but now it's my #2 Bond flick.
    DN has also climbed up from being dated stuff to cool classic.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 2,107
    For years I used to dislike most of Die Another Day, but sometime after Quantum Of Solace, I began to think that it's not so bad after all. Sure, it's silly and over-the-top, but without silly over the top movies in the frachise, things would become stale, with only the serious movies left to watch.

And yes, it's not because of Quantum Of Solace, why my appreciation for DAD increased. I still think QoS is underrated.

GE I don't like as much I used. To me, TND is more like the classic Bond films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I used to hate Licence to Kill when I was younger but after watching it for the first time in many years last year, I really loved it. It's now in my Top 3. Which still stands at

1.GoldenEye
    2.Skyfall
    3.Licence To Kill
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    A lot has changed since my first virst viewings. For example, I used to hate QoS, but now I rather enjoy it. Same with YOLT. I was never a big fan of Dalton, but now both his films are in my top 10. I used to think that FYEO was a bore, but now its 4/23. But my opinion of OHMSS has never changed; it is the greatest Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I didn't enjoy SF at the cinemas anywhere as much as I could've because 1) I followed the pre-production too closely (big mistake); and 2) some ****** gave me the flu. I now enjoy the film a great deal more.

When I had OHMSS bought for me back in '98 or '99, I wasn't too keen on Lazzer's performance. I never watched it again until a couple of years ago. However, reading members comments on this forum persuaded me to take another look at it from different perspectives. I now consider the film to be excellent, and definitely top 10 material. Thanks, guys!
  • When I first saw OHMSS when I was 11 or so I absolutely hated it. It's now in my top 3 or 4. I don't think my opinion of any movie has ever swayed as much from childhood to adulthood.

Up until about a few years ago I liked TLD considerably more than I do now. Moreso than LTK. Now I easily prefer LTK or TLD. I used to rank TLD as high as my top 5 but now its very much in the middle.
    YOLT and DAF I thought they were way superior than I think now. TWINE turned from maybe Brosnan's best to something mediocre at best, but this mainly due to some arrogant statements of its director. Now every time I see Elekra I can't help thinking the guy thought she was better than Rosa Klebb.
    I thought QOS was the best bond film ever on my way out of the cinema. That didn't last long. I don't not like it, it's just not as good as I thought.
    MR and YOLT have slipped slightly.
    On the other hand I enjoy Living Daylights more then I used to.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Well, if I were to go by my first impressions of these films then...

DN, FRWL, OHMSS and TLD I appreciate so much more now than I did on my first viewing.

TB, DAF, All of the Moore films, GE and TND I like less than my first viewing.

I still love the Moore era but you have to understand that I thought they were the greatest pieces of cinema ever made when I was but a lad. I can't quite say that now, obviously, so to be fair I did put them in the "less" category.
  • I now like Skyfall a lot less than I did on my first viewing.
    The Living Daylights has moved up considerably in my list. I never disliked it, but it was always more of a "meh" entry from my personal favorite Bond. Upon my latest viewing, I have come to appreciate it more. I still consider LTK (#5) the superior Dalton, but I now have TLD tabbed as my #10.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I like QOS a bit more than I used to and my opinion of Goldfinger changes constantly (atm it's my favourite Connery film but this time last year I thought it was a bit overrated).

I also used to love TB but last time I watched it I nearly fell asleep.
  • I was only 12 when TLD was released and I really hated it for a long time. Just too big a change after Sir Roger. Plus, the story was difficult to follow for a child. I didn't watch it again until 92 or 93 and realized how good it is. It's now in my top five. Also, I didn't care much for SF last November in the theatre but after viewing it on DVD I'm a much bigger fan.
  • I enjoy Die Another Day and The Man with the Golden Gun considerably less now than when I was 9 or so, but I liked anything that was put in front of me back then.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Goldfinger was the very first Bond film I watched from start to finish and it's the one that got me hooked. So for many years it was in my number 1 spot but a couple of years ago I had to move it down in ranks to about 10th or 12th place. OHMSS was a Bond film I really didn't like when I first saw it, so it was at the bottom of my list, now it's in about 7th in rankings. Die Another Day has a special place in my heart because it was the first Bond film I got to see in a theater. So it had a high ranking for a while but has since fallen to about 17th place. Skyfall was a movie I enjoyed in the theater but wasn't as impressed as most were. Now it's in my top 5 and has been the last three viewings of a Bond film for me.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 97
    I feel like Goldfinger is such a funny one for me. It's always been up there as one of my favourites, but when you look at it, you can't help but notice how inept a spy Bond is throughout that movie.

I mean, the movie is cinematic legend. You only have to look at the sheer number of iconic characters and images in that film. The problem is, Bond doesn't really do anything of any value. Both Masterson girls end up dead, he gets captured, and spends a big chunk of the film as a hostage and he doesn't even diffuse the bomb at the end. You have to admit he's actually quite a passive character throughout the whole thing.

So is that the best representation of Bond? I've gotta say no.

(opinion subject to change day to day, minute by minute) :-)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 2,107
    I actually like Goldfinger for that reason. The reason is how Connery keeps his cool even if he's not doing anything particularly interesting and is kept in captivity. That plus awesome villains, mature Bond girl, awesome 60's sets, feel, music...everything.

Still my favorite Bond movie.
    I feel like Goldfinger is such a funny one for me. It's always been up there as one of my favourites, but when you look at it, you can't help but notice how inept a spy Bond is throughout that movie.

I mean, the movie is cinematic legend. You only have to look at the sheer number of iconic characters and images in that film. The problem is, Bond doesn't really do anything of any value. Both Masterson girls end up dead, he gets captured, and spends a big chunk of the film as a hostage and he doesn't even diffuse the bomb at the end. You have to admit he's actually quite a passive character throughout the whole thing.

So is that the best representation of Bond? I've gotta say no.

(opinion subject to change day to day, minute by minute) :-)

This is my main issue with GF and why I find TB far superior in many aspects and superior overall.

That said, I liked the fact that he couldn't defuse the bomb.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,817
    I have very fixed preferences. Could only say that I appreciate more TB than the first time I saw it (in fact, it's on 5th place). But on the whole, nothing has changed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Only Diamonds Are Forever really. I now see it's merits which I didn't many years ago.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I used to loath Moonraker because of the third act, but now, I prefer it to TB, DAD, QOS and FYEO
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Only Diamonds Are Forever really. I now see it's merits which I didn't many years ago.

Good for you, Samuel. If only others could see the light.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

Good for you, Samuel. If only others could see the light.

A far better film than You Only Live Twice because of them too, when looking at the Connery's. I know this is rare, mind. On the old forums vmsns said one day I'd see the light and I did.
    I really wouldn't go so far as to say Diamonds is a good film (or Bond film), it's often quite dull and plodding. But it can sometimes be funny. Generally though one of the weaker films overall...that's a view I've always had.

In regard to my view LTK has dropped a few places in recent times.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I really wouldn't go so far as to say Diamonds is a good film (or Bond film), it's often quite dull and plodding. But it can sometimes be funny. Generally though one of the weaker films overall...that's a view I've always had.

That's funny, usually it is the other way round. I am curious as what made you change your mind about it.

YOLT for me might be the one that had the most important drop since I first saw it. I loved it until my late twenties, now I find it at best mediocre. And in recent years it has to be TWINE, for the reasons stated above.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Ludovico wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's funny, usually it is the other way round. I am curious as what made you change your mind about it.

YOLT for me might be the one that had the most important drop since I first saw it. I loved it until my late twenties, now I find it at best mediocre. And in recent years it has to be TWINE, for the reasons stated above.

I still like it a lot but a couple of years ago I saw it after OHMSS and it just felt a bit...generic in comparison.

I've seen it since then on its own again and enjoyed it more though. But it lacks the class of FYEO, TLD, OHMSS etc.

Also, for me GE has dropped a few places (but is still safely in the top 10). Maybe its a familiarity-breeds-contempt thing :-S
    That's my issue with LTK too, it feels and looks too much like a generic 80s action flick.

GE I don't find it as good as when I first saw it, but it is still a solid Bond movie and if only for what it did to the franchise it is an admirable one.