'Solo' shortlisted for two Specsavers National Book Awards

MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
edited November 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 5,080
William Boyd's SOLO has been shortlisted in two categories at this year's Specsavers National Book Awards. It is up for both Crime Thriller of the year, and audiobook of the year. The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on 11th December.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Based off of the user reviews I've read thus far, I'm surprised this book is winning anything.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    In fact if it wins you could say the judges 'Should've gone to Specsavers'.

But that's way too easy a joke to make and as such is beneath me.

Indeed. I started typing it out myself then changed my mind because I thought no one would be crass enough to come out with that gag ;-)

Indeed. I started typing it out myself then changed my mind because I thought no one would be crass enough to come out with that gag ;-)

Yep. I've let myself down.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Following this, I'm waiting for an announcement that 'Grown Ups 2' has been nominated for the Best Picture Oscar next year.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    This is a turn up for the books. ;)

It will only mean something if Solo actually wins.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Congratulations to Mr. Boyd for SOLO being shortlisted. An enjoyable read and a vast improvement on many of the Bond continuation novels.
    Bounine wrote:
    Congratulations to Mr. Boyd for SOLO being shortlisted. An enjoyable read and a vast improvement on many of the Bond continuation novels.

You're being ironic now aren't you? Maybe you are not from the UK but the Specsavers book award is about as prestigious as Alan Partridge winning TV Quick magazine's 'Man of the Moment' award.

Previous winners of their book of the year award are Fifty Shades of Grey, Harry Potter, Bridget Jones' Diary and Alex Ferguson: Managing My Life so that gives some idea of the literary standards they are looking for.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Isn't there a Spam award this book could be nominated for?
    I mean, then at least it would be relevant ...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All the Solo bashing truly is starting to nauseate. It grows even more tiresome when you consider that some of its biggest naysayers are those who have yet to read a single page of it. If you have read it and want to criticize it, fine, more power to you, but for those that haven't, don't talk until you've finished it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Sorry to have bugged you, 0Brady. I have just read many reviews from members I respect being strongly against this book. I wrote that simply because I just thought of it; it reminded me of being in line with something called Specsavers. I certainly didn't think my comment would nauseate, anger, or annoy anyone.
    All the Solo bashing truly is starting to nauseate. It grows even more tiresome when you consider that some of its biggest naysayers are those who have yet to read a single page of it. If you have read it and want to criticize it, fine, more power to you, but for those that haven't, don't talk until you've finished it.

I agree, I did take the time to read the novel.

I like mr Boyds own work better.

Bounine wrote:

You're being ironic now aren't you? Maybe you are not from the UK but the Specsavers book award is about as prestigious as Alan Partridge winning TV Quick magazine's 'Man of the Moment' award.

Previous winners of their book of the year award are Fifty Shades of Grey, Harry Potter, Bridget Jones' Diary and Alex Ferguson: Managing My Life so that gives some idea of the literary standards they are looking for.

Well, he still deserves a congratulations. Specsavers make some fantastic lenses! :) Not that I wear glasses, but I've heard wonderful things.

"I agree, I did take the time to read the novel.

I like mr Boyds own work better."

This is how I feel about Sebastian Faulks. I've never read anything else by Boyd but Faulks is a wonderful author and his other stuff outside of 'Devil May Care' is brilliant. He's a fantastic drama writer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sorry to have bugged you, 0Brady. I have just read many reviews from members I respect being strongly against this book. I wrote that simply because I just thought of it; it reminded me of being in line with something called Specsavers. I certainly didn't think my comment would nauseate, anger, or annoy anyone.

You aren't a member of the primary group I am speaking of, @4Ever. I was more referencing those all over (beyond this forum too) who have spoken ever since the reviews of the book came out about how trash it was, how much of a failure IFP had become and all that, without reading more than an excerpt, if that. Your comments weren't nauseating or annoying in the least, I was just venting my feelings about certain individuals after keeping it bottled up for over a month. I don't mean to be sinister about it, however. I think we are all guilty of judging books by their covers at some point in our lives, after all. ;)
  • Sorry to have bugged you, 0Brady. I have just read many reviews from members I respect being strongly against this book. I wrote that simply because I just thought of it; it reminded me of being in line with something called Specsavers. I certainly didn't think my comment would nauseate, anger, or annoy anyone.

You aren't a member of the primary group I am speaking of, @4Ever. I was more referencing those all over (beyond this forum too) who have spoken ever since the reviews of the book came out about how trash it was, how much of a failure IFP had become and all that, without reading more than an excerpt, if that. Your comments weren't nauseating or annoying in the least, I was just venting my feelings about certain individuals after keeping it bottled up for over a month. I don't mean to be sinister about it, however. I think we are all guilty of judging books by their covers at some point in our lives, after all. ;)

As one who had the extreme misfortune to waste six valuable hours reading this monstrosity from cover to cover, I can indeed confirm that SOLO by William Boyd is absolute and utter crap!
    Villiers53 wrote:

As one who had the extreme misfortune to waste six valuable hours reading this monstrosity from cover to cover, I can indeed confirm that SOLO by William Boyd is absolute and utter crap!

No I would not call it utter crap, as mr Boyd is clearly a very good writer. He does demonstrate that as well with SOLO. What he does however in my opinion is changing James Bond into a messenger boy for the corperate interests of the Greater Britain, which is not exactly how I prefer 007 to be.
    I did wonder afterwards how much of Boyds original ideas and writings did escape the clutches of the ones in charge. And how they visualise James Bond 007 for the future novels, as Fleming went or as EON goes with a bit of arty farty thrown in for good measure.

Are these the Fleming fanatics who would be up in arms if in a James Bond continuation book, Bond breathed the wrong way? In any case, one should never judge a book or a film until one has read/seen it for themselves. Doing so is just crazy.

There are certainly more positive reviews for SOLO on news websites than there are negative ones. I think that there are many entertaining moments in SOLO, it moves along at a good pace (I never felt bored) and Bond's character is developed well. However, yes, as some has said, it would have been better with a more solid plot and the ending is somewhat of an anti climax. These facets were certainly not enough for me to actually dislike the book though. I liked it.