Matthew Vaughn talks James Bond influences and director jobs

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited May 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
Director Matthew Vaughn, whose much-anticipated "X-Men: First Class" has already scored glowing reviews, has talked to a number of blogs today about his past, present and future work.

When asked by <a href="http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/interview-director-matthew-vaughn-on-making-x-men-first-class-feel-fresh"; target="_blank">HitFlix</a> about his visual choices for the film, Vaughn replied, "There were two main influences I had. First, I watched all the early James Bond movies again. 'You Only Live Twice,' I watched a couple of times. I really wanted it to feel like a '60s Bond film, but with a little bit of reality it could be grounded in. I wanted there to be just a hint of this world of the mutants coming through. A mutant in this world having powers needed to be the equivalent of you or I sneezing, as normal as possible, at least until the humans start seeing it for the first time."

Speaking to <a href="http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?42866-Matthew-Vaughn-On-X-Men-First-Class-On-The-Writing-Credits-On-The-Bond-Influence-On-The-Difficult-Shoot-And-More&amp;utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCoolForums+(Bleeding+Cool+Forums)&amp;utm_content=Google+Reader&quot; target="_blank">BleedingCool</a>, the "Kick Ass" director talked more about Bond. "I always wanted to do a Cold War movie and I'm desperate to do a Bond film, always have been, and here I got to have my cake and eat it. I got to do an X-Men film and a Bond thing Frankenheimer sort of political thriller at the same time."

"I sort of want the Brocolli's to regret never hiring me. I was very keen to direct Bond. I don't know if I am any more, to be blunt, now that I've done this. I really love Daniel [Craig], though you know, it might be interesting if they one day decide to cast Fassbender as Bond, then maybe I'll go 'Hey!'"

Comments

"I sort of want the Brocolli's to regret never hiring me. I was very keen to direct Bond. I don't know if I am any more, to be blunt, now that I've done this. I really love Daniel [Craig], though you know, it might be interesting if they one day decide to cast Fassbender as Bond, then maybe I'll go 'Hey!'"
    Haha, seems like somebody´s having his revenge ;-) .

With all the problems the production apparently had to face, what with too little production time etc, I´m kind of intrigued to read the film already got acclaim.

Anyway, I was always positively impressed by Vaughn so far but want to wait until I´ve seen this one before I praise him as possible Bond director.
    However I doubt anyone would complain if Fassbender would be cast as Bond in the future ;-) .
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I too think it's unwise that Vaughn seems jealous over " the Brocolli's to regret never hiring" him. If he kept his mouth shut maybe his turn would have come?

As for X-Men: First Class I'm glad he's got what looks like a winner on his hands. Lord knows we need a great X-Men film after so long.
    I always wanted for Vaughn to direct a Bond film, and I wanted him to want to direct a Bond film, and wanted Broccoli's to want to hire him to direct a Bond film, preferatably with Daniel Craig innit.

Maybe with Fazz his time will come. We'll see.
    IF i recall, wasn't his name thrown around for QoS?
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Layer Cake was great..... Stardust not so much; I have no interest in Kick Ass and this X-Men: First Class looks like yet another tired super-hero movie.

Unless Vaughn starts directing more great movies like Layer Cake, I doubt very much that the Broccolis are going to regret not hiring him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Layer Cake = Awesome
    Kick-Ass = Awesome
    Stardust = OK

Vaughn as Bond 24 director?? Bring it on !! :-bd
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Vaughn would be a good choice as director. Unlike, say, Forster, he clearly understands character.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Layer Cake = Awesome
    Kick-Ass = Awesome
    Stardust = OK

Vaughn as Bond 24 director?? Bring it on !! :-bd
    Agreed, @DaltonCraig007. And I have very high hopes for X-Men FC next week. If Vaughn passes that test, I'll be quoting you all the time: Vaughn as Bond 24 director?? Bring it on !!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Seems like hes probably blown his chances with that comment about the Broccollis. And although Layer Cake and Kick Ass are quality, I think, with such a brief CV, it is a bit presumptuous to be thinking he should have got the nod for Bond 23. If he'd kept his gob shut and X Men had done good business he could well have been in the frame for Bond 24 but that seems unlikely now. Shame as I think he'd do a far better job than some of the journeymen and arty types that we've had to endure over the last 15 years or so.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,686
    How about Guy Ritchie? He put some good fun in Sherlock Holmes... no reason why he couldn't infuse some much needed fun in Bond aswell. While RocknRolla's script wasn't very good, I still have a very entertaining time watching it. I think Ritchie could be a good mix of tough action scenes with Craig, and a good dose of pure fun like in the Connery/Moore days, missing for the past 15 years.