The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3429514/hellraiser-judgment-sets-sequels-says-new-pinhead/

How is it that the Hellraiser films can keep going, despite having fallen further (the previous films HAD to be made, rather than something thinking that one COULD be made) than the other horror series that have stalled?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When it comes to sequels being promised even before the release of the next film, I apply the following rule: I'll believe it when I see it. Where are all those Freddy sequels they promise dafter 2010's reboot? And F13?

I'm mildly interested in watching this next Hellraiser film, being a fan of the Hellraiser 'universe' (films, comics, book) much more than I am a fan of the individual films since Bloodline (though I have a soft spot for Hellworld.)
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,050
    How do all you guys feel about the ending to IT. In my opinion it's quite underwhelming
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The whole film is underwhelming.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I'll finally take the time to read the novel after seeing the adaptation this year. It'll be quite the task but I've only heard amazing things about it.
    @007ClassicBondFan, Even as a child, far too young to watch a movie like IT, I felt underwhelmed by the ending of the movie. The creepy stuff at the start and in the middle of the film was far more powerful and had much more of an impact on me. The finale of IT was an utter let-down, and in more than one way:
    - the big monster reveal didn't live up to the expectations; Pennywise is far scarier;
    - the effects were poor;
    - skulls and cobwebs... it felt like a pirates film for kids;
    - evil is defeated through the power of union and friendship and child's play (a catapult and a piece of silver)

That last remark is aimed at Stephen King--one of the reasons I've never been a huge King fan is because some of his many recurring themes and motifs have lost too much power for me since I turned 10. I understand where King himself comes from and how much of his private sentimentality creeps into his books, but IMO Spielberg does it better when it comes to convincing us that children know better than grown-ups.

Still, IT turned me into the horror fan that I am, kept me focused on the nightmarish stuff I was watching while my mind was telling me to just switch the television off and read some harmless comic books instead. I was far too young, but something clicked. I realised I loved this thing called "horror".

So yes, I'll be watching the new film when it's released.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    @007ClassicBondFan, Even as a child, far too young to watch a movie like IT, I felt underwhelmed by the ending of the movie. The creepy stuff at the start and in the middle of the film was far more powerful and had much more of an impact on me. The finale of IT was an utter let-down, and in more than one way:
    - the big monster reveal didn't live up to the expectations; Pennywise is far scarier;
    - the effects were poor;
    - skulls and cobwebs... it felt like a pirates film for kids;
    - evil is defeated through the power of union and friendship and child's play (a catapult and a piece of silver)

That last remark is aimed at Stephen King--one of the reasons I've never been a huge King fan is because some of his many recurring themes and motifs have lost too much power for me since I turned 10. I understand where King himself comes from and how much of his private sentimentality creeps into his books, but IMO Spielberg does it better when it comes to convincing us that children know better than grown-ups.

Still, IT turned me into the horror fan that I am, kept me focused on the nightmarish stuff I was watching while my mind was telling me to just switch the television off and read some harmless comic books instead. I was far too young, but something clicked. I realised I loved this thing called "horror".

So yes, I'll be watching the new film when it's released.

I haven't read King's book, but I understand that the TV adaptation omitted a lot of stuff from it. What gets me even more was the behind the scenes. Apparently this was planned right after the book hit the shelves. It was supposed to be 10 hours long, and be directed by George Romero. But that obviously never happened because ABC was worried about the really mature content of the book, and so the whole film really suffers because of it
    Trailer tease for 'IT,' full trailer out tomorrow:

New poster for the film, too:

IT-poster-700x1038.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't see the point in teases for the trailers. Isn't that what a teaser trailer is for?

The artwork for the Wishmaster collection on BR, looks really nice. I had the 4 film collection on DVD, but I sold it off to get the set containing just the first two films, as the last 2 films are forgettable and abysmal in that order. On saying that, the second one isn't all that. It's not as bad as it's 2 sequels, but it lacks the originality of the first film (which I proudly call my favourite horror film to come out of the 1990's).

wishmaster-collection.jpg?resize=812%2C969

If that artwork was for the original film on DVD, and it was available in the UK, I wouldn't think twice about getting it.
    @MajorDSmythe, agreed. I'd sooner have them announce the trailer release and just wait patiently for the date. Most of the time, the fifteen second teases are either too quickly edited with footage, or show nothing (as is the case for 'IT,' but the bits of dialogue and Pennywise cackling were great.)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Trailer tease for 'IT,' full trailer out tomorrow:

New poster for the film, too:

IT-poster-700x1038.jpg

The original gave me nightmare's!!! :((
    edited March 2017 Posts: 40,459

Well, time to change my undies. Holy hell.
  • That teaser was pretty great. Probably my favorite of the three trailers we've seen (JL, and Spider-Man.) This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. Can't wait to see it!
    Jeez that clown gives me the creeps!
    Damn, didn't expect this at all:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/trailer-breaks-global-traffic-record-first-24-hours-173733452.html

If you don't feel like clicking the link, 'IT' shattered the record for most trailer views in the first 24 hours of release with nearly 200 million views, beating the previous record holder of 'The Fate of the Furious' that had almost 140 million views. Pretty shocking for a clown-driven horror film.
    Impressive, though i'm a little surprised, mind you.
    Hm... I'm very much surprised. Never would have expected this thing to gain so much clout.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,421
    Scary clowns are the "in things" at the moment....
    Sadly, they are. The horror film version is more interesting though.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3431389/andrew-divoff-wants-return-wishmaster-5/

As much as I love the first film, I won't hold my breath. If heavyweights like Friday The 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street & Halloween are struggling to get new films out, what hope does a smaller series like Wishmaster have?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Now then, a couple of films that may slot in here rather nicely.

Cockneys vs Zombies, 2012

A group of hard nut retirees team up with an inept gang of would be bank thieves to fight their way out of Zombie infected London. Starring Michelle Ryan, Richard Briers and our Pussy, Honor Blackman.

Not too bad a way to spend to spend an evening. The most entertaining passage is where dear old Richard, with zimmer frame, is pursued by a zombie.

White Zombie, 1932

Now, this is a proper zombie film, with a Voodoo black magic practitioner, raising folks from their eternal slumber, to become mindless hordes of the undead, which is the origin to the zombie genre and mythos. The black and white footage, coupled with a rather grainy stock, makes this quite an unsettling viewing experience. The image of plentiful Zombies milling the, erm, mill, stayed with one, long after the movie. Those dead eyes...haunting....
    'Insidious: Chapter Four' has been moved from October 20th, 2017 to January 2018:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/insidious-chapter-4-release-date-january-2018-1202391316/
    I was looking at the site for the F13 game, and noticed something in the text. In the 'ABOUT' section, under 'Play as Jason Voorhees!', it says:

"For the first time ever, you will have the opportunity to play as Jason Voorhees, the most famous killer in horror. Stalk your prey and ambush them whenever you see fit. Friday the 13th: The Game will include a variety of kills, new and familiar. You’ll even get to unlock various Jason incarnations from the movies as well as two entirely new designs never before seen."

Two? We now know that one will be the Tom Savin Jason From Hell version, but what about the other one? Could that be the Jason from what would have been the 2017 film?
    Good catch, @MajorDSmythe, it very well could be. I want to say I've seen a 'Jason X' variant somewhere that looked rather unique, maybe that's it, too.
    You've got me thinking now, as to whether I have seen the Jason X version. It wasn't the most memorable look, but it was one that was used in the film. But please, Gun Media, stay away from Uber Jason. I want that to remain as a bad nightmare.
    @MajorDSmythe, perhaps they're crafting their own version of the mask, too, something the developers would like to see that's entirely new and unique. Time will tell.

Going to have to enjoy a 'Friday the 13th' marathon here in the near future, been a couple of years since I last did so and I'd like the films to be fresh in my mind when I dive into this, just to be able to spot as many easter eggs and tiny details from the filmography as I can.
    @MajorDSmythe, perhaps they're crafting their own version of the mask, too, something the developers would like to see that's entirely new and unique. Time will tell.

That is possible, afterall, they let Tom Savini create his own version of Jason.
    Going to have to enjoy a 'Friday the 13th' marathon here in the near future, been a couple of years since I last did so and I'd like the films to be fresh in my mind when I dive into this, just to be able to spot as many easter eggs and tiny details from the filmography as I can.

A few weeks back (when the now aborted film was due to start filming), I watched the 2009 reboot. Before that, I can't remember when I last watched one. I might run through the films as well.
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm a big fan of the reboot. It was a solid mixture of staying true to the roots, while subsequently spicing things up (the fact that Jason runs throughout was a wonderful touch).

To think that we could be sifting through behind the scenes photos of a new 'Friday the 13th' movie right now is upsetting.
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm a big fan of the reboot. It was a solid mixture of staying true to the roots, while subsequently spicing things up (the fact that Jason runs throughout was a wonderful touch).

There's a particular moment in the reboot, one that never fails to take me by surprise. It's when Mike and Whitney are looking around the cabin. After Jason has dispatched of Mike, Whitney flees the cabin, as she exits the cabin, the trapdoor slams open, and Jason bursts out with such force and speed. Having gotten used to Jason walking, it's a shock to see him move with such speed.
    To think that we could be sifting through behind the scenes photos of a new 'Friday the 13th' movie right now is upsetting.

Try to look on the bright side, New Line get the rights back next year. I am determined to remain optimistic that unlike Paramount, New Line wont pin the future of the series on another film (so Rings was a disappointment for Paramount, but Friday The 13th is a much bigger brand). It would be like Sony (or MGM or whoever) owning the rights to make Spooks films and the Bond rights, but putting Bond on hold, just because the Spooks film failed to bring in what was expected of it.
    That's a great moment. One of my favorites is the final moment with the first group of campers, with that lingering shot of him sprinting up to Whitney, who is crawling backwards as fast as she can, and the shot cuts the split-second before his machete swing reachers her head.

I really hope something pans out and gets us a new installment in the next couple of years. Meanwhile, I wonder what sort of progress they're making on the new 'Halloween' film, which I'm very intrigued by.