The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

It Follows (2014)
    A pretty good list there @Hero, though I'm surprised to see Black Christmas (1974) and Sole Survivor (1983) both missing from your list, which were two incredibly influential movies that proceeded Hallowe'en and It Follows. Sole Survivor is clearly the inspiration behind It Follows and indeed Final Destination, and likewise Black Christmas was the inspiration for Hallowe'en, which Carpenter was originally developing with the Black Christmas director before Bob Clark bowed out allowing Carpenter to take sole claim of and responsibility for.
  • dalton wrote: »
    Well, I guess this means that the Friday the 13th franchise is officially dead.

Perhaps, if Paramount doesn't want anything to do with it anymore, they can sell it to someone who might have some fresh ideas about how to approach the property.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's true, I didn't even think of that. Hopefully that's the case, but in all honesty, I just want another 'Friday the 13th' film. Another reboot, a sequel, a prequel, something working off of 'Jason X,' I don't even give a shit anymore; I just want more Voorhees.

Make a damn Jason movie in the damn camp. CHRIST.

tumblr_inline_nafojsMOXR1sg101c.gif

Forget the reboots/ gimmicks. Just set it in the 80's. Have a fun 'summer camp theme'. Give us some entertaining teens. Have Jason KILL them. We should have been on Friday the 13th 30 by now!
  • bondsum wrote: »
    It Follows (2014)
    A pretty good list there @Hero, though I'm surprised to see Black Christmas (1974) and Sole Survivor (1983) both missing from your list, which were two incredibly influential movies that proceeded Hallowe'en and It Follows. Sole Survivor is clearly the inspiration behind It Follows and indeed Final Destination, and likewise Black Christmas was the inspiration for Hallowe'en, which Carpenter was originally developing with the Black Christmas director before Bob Clark bowed out allowing Carpenter to take sole claim of and responsibility for.

Thanks for the recommendations, @bondsum! I'd like to think I'm fairly well-versed in horror cinema—at least 20th Century horror cinema—but those are two I haven't seen. Black Christmas '74 (wouldn't dream of going near the remake) is a notable one I've been meaning to get around to for some time. It'll happen one day. I feel like I've heard of Sole Survivor before but never had much reason to seek it out. I'll keep it on my radar!
    Glad I could help add a few more to your list, @Hero. I'd also consider The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) as being influential and predates George A. Romero's Living Dead movie whilst having similar themes. I'd have also included The Devil Rides Out (1968) both directed by Terrence Fisher and the seminal Polanski's Rosemary's Baby (1968) and my favourite early 70s shocker the Omega Man (1971). Sorry, I know it's your list, but I can't help have a little tinker. Black Christmas was a favourite of mine in the 70s, and even had a young John Saxon before his reprise in Elm Street, clearly a nod to his role in Black Christmas. Don't bother with the remake as it lacks the superior cast of the original and that early 70s vibe. Sole Survivor is worth a look as it was so fresh and original when it first came out, and is still being an inspiration to younger directors to this day.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Tinker and suggest away! The Earth Dies Screaming is one I've never heard of before but will look into. Interesting that you should mention its influence on NOTLD, and then bring up Omega Man '71, because I see The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price as being rather largely influential on Romero, too. I honestly was not a big fan of The Omega Man. Perhaps that's because I was such a fan of the book first and couldn't stomach any telling that strayed too far from the source.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,333
    The Last Man on Earth is a low budget Italian production that even Richard Matherson demanded that they remove his name from, coincidentally RM wrote the screenplay for The Devil Rides Out, for which Dennis Wheatley was proud of. Omega Man was an update on the same story, switching vampires for atomic plague survivors, which was very current at the time. Still, it was heavily cut and god knows where the deleted scenes are? I hope one day that they're found and reinstated with the excellent expanded musical score which is now available on CD.

I also forgot to mention, other worthy mentions are: Curse of the Demon (1959), Night of the Eagle (1962), The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971), Mephisto Waltz (1971), Race With the Devil (1975), The Pyx (1973), Dying Room Only (1973) which was a TV movie much like Duel was, also by Matherson, along with his excellent Night Stalker (1972) which Johnny Depp is presently looking at remaking. I also like Would You Kill a Child? (1976) which is a little like The Wicker Man but set off the Spanish coast, and Near Dark (1987). Some of these are not gory but do have an undercurrent of the sinister and macabre which elevates them above the standard fare of today's schlock horror.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3423903/weve-got-behind-scenes-shot-cult-chuckyc/

I thought Curse Of Chucky was the best since the first Child's Play. I pray that Cult Of Chucky maintains the tone of Curse Of Chucky, but with the Tiffany character returning, I have a horrible feeling that it might be closer to the likes of Bride Of Chucky & Seed Of Chucky.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I missed this the other day, but the producer for 'IT' confirms it'll have an R-rating, and goes into more detail regarding the sequel:

http://collider.com/it-remake-rated-r-sequel-adults/#pennywise
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DarthDimi and you other Lovecraft fans.

My hairdresser is an Iranian woman. She has two dogs. One is called Max, the other is called Cthulhu.

She has never heard of the books. It is apparetly farsi and means "little". When I told her it is the name of a monster in some old fantasy books, she admitted her dog is a little monster.
    A near-finished version of the first trailer for 'IT' has been unveiled at SXSW, to glowing reviews. We can expect this to drop in the coming weeks:

https://trailer-track.com/2017/03/12/sxsw-warner-brosnew-line-show-off-it-teaser-trailer-check-out-first-reactions/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't know... i'm feeling indifferent to the new IT. I'll see it to compare with the 1990 mini-series, but i'm not chomping at the bit to see it.
    Excitement for Friday The 13th, would have reached fever pitch as it was due to begin filming today. :-<
    At least we have the game to look forward to.

We finally get to CLEARLY see unmasked Jason Goes To Hell

C6_obbQWgAAEZeR.png

Originally you could only see it behind the scenes when Kane took the hockey mask off- and even then the missing eye was on the wrong side.

And did you see Tom Savini's own design for Jason? The 'returned from Hell' look. (I believe this one might be a pre-order bonus)

Savini-Jason-Friday-the-13th-Game.jpg

There are a LOT of skins in this game; pretty much every look Jason has ever had!
    The unmasked JGTH look is very nicely done, it's what you might imagine he'd look like unmasked.

Savini's Hellish Jason is striking to say the least. I look at that Jason, and I try an imagine a direct sequel to JGTH with Jason sporting that look.

Even after what I said about modern games, buying a PS4 for this game is going to be hard to resist.
    It seems like a lot of love and care went into the game, and the videos I've seen make it look like a blast. I can't wait to play it, is it still releasing this year?
    This year, yes, but there's no concrete date beyond 2017.
    Good stuff; as long as it drops by the fall, I'll be happy. Aren't they doing some sort of single-player portion for the game now, due to the success of the Kickstarter? I'm looking forward to trying this one out finally.
    That's right, the game has been delayed, to allow a single player componant to be added to the game. It is that single player componant that interests me most.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Why don't we do a kickstarter and make our own F13 movie?

I can cameo as Freddy.
    I'll gladly take a delay for more content, especially some that won't require me to play online.

Let's get a Kickstarter fired up for F13. Can't believe it finally got so close to filming after all these years, just to get canned. At least we still have that new 'Halloween' title that sounds promising.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,882
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Why don't we do a kickstarter and make our own F13 movie?

I can cameo as Freddy.

Then I want the Crazy Ralph-esque role. "You going to Camp Blood, aintcha?"

I'll take the method approach to the role, that will include being inebriated, and wandering around the woods rambling about Jason.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll gladly take a delay for more content, especially some that won't require me to play online.

Let's get a Kickstarter fired up for F13. Can't believe it finally got so close to filming after all these years, just to get canned. At least we still have that new 'Halloween' title that sounds promising.

A single player F13 game can work, look at the PS2 game, Haunting Ground. It could work.

The series isn't dead in the water, yet. New Line get the rights back, next year, so hopefully they will want to get a new film off the ground.
    I only want to hear about another F13 movie happening if it's definitely going to see the light of day. It's been a sea of rumblings and rumors since that reboot, I need something definitive (and hopefully soon). I wonder why they came so close to filming finally, just to stop.
    From what I can gather, it was the negative response to Rings (both the critical response, and the box office), that caused Paramount to pull the plug on Friday The 13th.
    The first trailer for 'IT' is slated to drop on Wednesday, March 29th (finally):

https://trailer-track.com/2017/03/23/in-the-pipeline-first-trailer-for-it-incoming-march-29/
  • I'm looking forward to seeing IT. I hope it isn't as watered down as the TV adaptation was
    If the first trailer is the one they showed a couple of weeks back, it sounds like it'll be much, much more bloody and violent than the TV adaptation (which gave me nightmares as a child).
  • I was terrified of the TV special when I was younger too. Tim Curry was genius however, and it's going to be hard to top his performance. Nonetheless I'm going in with an open mind
    As am I. It's going to take a lot to top Curry, and while I don't see it happening, I look forward to a younger, different take on the role. I'm getting creepy court jester vibes from him, which already sounds much different from Curry's take on Pennywise.
    I can never wrap my head around that being Tim Curry, it's such a transformation. While the new Pennywise looks very sinister, I feel neither here nor there over another version of IT.
    One of those few roles where it's tough for me to find the actor in the character, much like Heath Ledger's Joker.