A Bond nerd

edited May 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 21
Hi guys, a quick question. I'm a huge nerd and equally huge fan of all the Bond movies. Most of the fans on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/followingthenerd) say that Sean Connery is the best Bond. I believe they say this because it has been hammered home by the popular media in the UK (and beyond). Would this be a fair assumption? BTW My favourite Bond is Roger Moore.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 23,544
    Fact: Sean Connery is the best Bond.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Generally Sean Connery will always top the polls and whoever is currently playing Bond at the time of the survey will come a close second and hence you will probably find Daniel Craig at no 2 on most surveys at the moment.
    Though it should be remembered that the majority of people asked for these surveys are not necessarily hardcore Bond fans, while many of the others may be either misguided or ignorant, this probably goes a long way to explaining why George Lazenby rarely gets recognised as the very best James Bond actor! ;-)
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 5,767
    I can honestly enjoy every single Eon Bond film, so don´t ask me ;-) . It doesn´t make sense to me to compare the actors.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Fact - Roger Moore is the best Bond !! A much greater human being than the other 5 Bond's... and than most actors living today !!
  • Thanks for the answers guys. I regularly bring up the best Bond question on my facebook page. It's great to stir up a little debate haha
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's the old thing about Men wanting to be him (Connery) and women wanting him between their sheets. He's a mans man. Too many of the other actors make less impact.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The public would probably say Conney. But what do they know, they got Brosnan cast. Dalton is the best Bond, all the other actors have to make do with being #'s 2 through to 6. That's life...
    yea i agree he is the classic Bond
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    The public would probably say Conney. But what do they know, they got Brosnan cast.
    Bond was always made for the public, not the intellectuals or "nerds" ;)
    Sean Connery is not only regarded as the best Bond because he was the first, but because of what he made the role. EON could have gotten an actor closer to the Bond of the books and made a few successful small British films that would not have received much attention in the US. Connery was the type of actor who appealed to the US market where had actors like McGoohan, Johnson or even Moore would have struggled.

An interviewer once asked Terrance Young what the three biggest aspects that made the Bond movies so successful were. His response was Sean Connery, Sean Connery and Sean Connery.
    Connery defined the character for the silver screen. He set the standard for all the other actors who were to follow in his footsteps. When all the other Bonds are asked who their favourite is or who they think is the best, what name do they normally say? ;)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Sean Connery is not only regarded as the best Bond because he was the first, but because of what he made the role. EON could have gotten an actor closer to the Bond of the books and made a few successful small British films that would not have received much attention in the US. Connery was the type of actor who appealed to the US market where had actors like McGoohan, Johnson or even Moore would have struggled.

An interviewer once asked Terrance Young what the three biggest aspects that made the Bond movies so successful were. His response was Sean Connery, Sean Connery and Sean Connery.
    The one mistake in Young's answers was not to include himself in the 3 ingredients. Young shaped Connery into the role, something that another director may not have done as well. To me, Young was basically as important to Bond than Connery and Fleming himself.
    Hi guys, a quick question. I'm a huge nerd and equally huge fan of all the Bond movies. Most of the fans on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/followingthenerd) say that Sean Connery is the best Bond. I believe they say this because it has been hammered home by the popular media in the UK (and beyond). Would this be a fair assumption? BTW My favourite Bond is Roger Moore.
    Connery was the first, he was also hugely popular. Folks have to understand that Bond wasn't just a movie franchise, it was a worldwide phenomenon like the world had never seen. Theaters weren't a dime a dozen, and movies either. The humongous critical acclaim for Connery's Bond both by the public and the media certainly plays a part in making Connery the quasi-unanimous choice for "Best Bond". Think that in the 60s, theaters were open 24/7 with lineups for fans to see Goldfinger and Thunderball, and that these people were dressed in their Sunday suits and dresses... This was a can't miss event. No other Bond received anywhere near the same acclaim. Lazenby was snubbed by the Franchise itself and the casual fan found him and OHMSS boring even if the movie is acclaimed by the hardcore fans. Moore is both loved and detested by many fans. Loved for bringing a legion of new fans and making Bond a lover more suited for the 70s, while others detested him for "ruining" James Bond and making him a playboy. Dalton has his supporters amongst the hardcore community but wasn't much accepted in the States by the general public, whereas Brosnan was accepted by the general public including the States but not on the same base by the hardcore fans. Never mind Craig and the idiotic internet "he's Blond" mob who still managed to get his props after a great performance in CR.

To say that Connery is only accepted as best Bond because of the media is wrong, but it certainly has some impact. In short, Connery is seen as the best Bond because... he simply is! (by the large majority of fans, casual fans, hardcore fans, etc).

I have to agree with you 110% Luds, even the part about Young forgetting to include himself.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,622
    BTW My favourite Bond is Roger Moore.
    :O You really are a nerd then :-D
    Fact: Sean Connery is the best Bond.
    Sean IS Bond. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

The rest honor the legacy as best they can. Bless their hearts.

• Thank you again guys. Although there is definitely a pro-Connery element on here ;-) I have really appreciated the comments about my second favourite movie franchise. Maybe, one of you lovely people could write me a nice article on why Bond is still loved after all these years for my facebook page.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thank you again guys. Although there is definitely a pro-Connery element on here ;-) I have really appreciated the comments about my second favourite movie franchise. Maybe, one of you lovely people could write me a nice article on why Bond is still loved after all these years for my facebook page.
    I always sense a pro-Dalton bias here. Misguided people like @MajorDSmythe ;-) are all over the place. It's like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I have to agree with you 110% Luds, even the part about Young forgetting to include himself.
    Perhaps he didn't realize just how great his direction was to the franchise. I'd go as far as to say that with another director, Bond may have stopped after 2-3 flicks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'd go as far as to say that with another director, Bond may have stopped after 2-3 flicks.
    I doubt it. Cubby and Saltzman had a whole franchise in mind when working on DN. So I doubt that a rough beginning would stop them from making the franchise they intended to do. I even believe that both Cubby and Saltzman knew from the beginning that Connery would be replaced at some point.
    I always thought they only believed a few moderately successful films would be made initially?
    I always thought they only believed a few moderately successful films would be made initially?
    No... I strongly believe they had a whole franchise in mind. Even if DN had bombed at the Box Office, it wouldn't stop their plans.

I have really appreciated the comments about my second favourite movie franchise.
    Second favorite...SECOND FAVORITE!!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD

[-(

What films series puts Bond in #2?
    I have really appreciated the comments about my second favourite movie franchise.
    Second favorite...SECOND FAVORITE!!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD

[-(

What films series puts Bond in #2?
    Urgh, we obviously have a Star Wars fanatic in our midst ;)

No... I strongly believe they had a whole franchise in mind. Even if DN had bombed at the Box Office, it wouldn't stop their plans.

UA (the financing studio) might have stopped Broccoli/Saltzmans plans in their tracks had Dr. No failed.
    And Cubby/Saltzman would be unable to find new distributors ??
    And Cubby/Saltzman would be unable to find new distributors ??
    They had enough trouble finding a studio to finance Dr No, UA was not the first studio they approached with the Bond series. Yes, their plan was to do a series of Fleming's books (I doubt either of them expected it to last as long as it had), but had Dr. No failed, that would have been the end. No studio would have financed a sequel to a bomb.

• edited May 2011 Posts: 4,622

Urgh, we obviously have a Star Wars fanatic in our midst ;)
    He did say he was a nerd. ;-)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I always sense a pro-Dalton bias here. Misguided people like @MajorDSmythe ;-) are all over the place. It's like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
    Man's got a point. :p

For me, both Conners and Sir Rog are tops. But what do I know, I'm just a Bond nerd - and, last time I checked, a member of the public... ;)
    I too am a general nerdy public Bond.....wait a minute, er....general member of the public who happens to be a Bond nerd. It`s been a habit for so long, I`m afraid one follows the other these days!
    Connery was the publics first love, and you know what they say about them... :bz
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 23,544
    I don't consider myself a nerd but much rather a geek or a fan boy. 'Nerd' sounds like you're socially handicapped. I refute that. However, I can be very enthusiastic about all things Bond and I do roam the grounds of many film conventions, seeking new gems and jewels, usually caring less about their cost than about the emotional value they hold for me. As such, the geek factor can run pretty high sometimes. I’m also one of ‘those’ who line up for the première of a highly anticipated film such as any Bond, Star Wars or Nightmare On Elm Street flick (although the latter usually requires little lining up ;;) ). It’s the nature of the beast I suppose and I most certainly can’t help it, nor do I want to. I do not go into extremes, however, and I still live a perfectly normal life. That’s why I think the word ‘nerd’ is a trifle too strong for my liking. I just happen to like certain things very, very much. :P
    Mr Darth Dimi, you maybe a man in denial!