FRWL 50th anniversary !

edited October 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,639

Oct 10th , 1963.......

Note the french DN/FRWL b & w lobbys.....I've never see them on ebay , these are about the sz of a US lobby & on photo paper (from GF-on in France they were in color and 8x10 , maybe the large ones were too costly to make ?)

For a while I was like "where the heck do these lobbys come from ?" , they turned out to be Swiss (you can see the Lausanne censor stamp on the back).....these have holes drilled in the corners , I guess the intention was to hang them on a string in the window ?

All these are 1st issues , really special to have from the 1st time around.......

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Very nice! I do love FRWL. :) My favorite Sean film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Happy Birthday to what is widely considered the best Bond of them all, even by me. This film should be the template for all future ones to follow.
  • Happy Birthday FRWL!

I recently re-watched FRWL and thought I'd share some thoughts.

The first thing that has to be said of FRWL is that I find it quite hard to see it within the 'Bond film' prefix. I know that the film established many of the knowns traits of the Bond series (pre-title sequence/ dancing girls in the main titles/ SPECTRE/ Q etc) but I feel that despite defining the 'formula' it isn't characteristically a 'Bond film'. By the mid '60's Bond had essentially become a genre within itself. This idea definitely abides to this day and people often talk about the 'Bond genre' and it's known staples. In my opinion, FRWL is in fact an Cold War espionage tale. A lot of the other Bond films seem to forget this notion but FRWL is draped with many of the great traits of spy fiction from this period.

I feel nothing more cements this point than the opening 3 minutes of the movie. Here we meet our hero trapped in the dark in a maze, a great metaphor for any espionage tale. He is being hunted by some unknown threat. This threat is Grant, a man lurking perpetually in the shadows waiting to strike, and slowly laying out a plan to capture his bate. In this case his bate is Agent 007. It's a great atmospheric moment that dosent rely on dialogue and instead evokes a great feeling of unease simply through the stunning visuals from Ted Moore, the snappy editing of Peter Hunt and the great score by John Barry, all under the careful direction of Terence Young. It's a great sequence as it establishes quite how ruthless the villains of the film are and sets up the notion that in Bond's world someone is always watching.

FRWL is a proper Cold War espionage tale, despite not dealing with the murky politics of Western and Russian relations. The films takes place in the backdrop of the Cold War and creates a fun escapism story which is still rooted in real world politics. This has been a notion the Bond films have always maintained and often done well. What I love about Bond films and it's something that Ian Fleming mined to great effect was their ability to create great romantic spy stories. FRWL probably has the best plot of any Bond film. A Russian clerk has discovered a photo of a dashing British spy inside a file and has fallen madly in love with him, so much so that she is willing to defect to the British. It just so happens she works with the much desired Lecktor decoding-device and she's willing to bring it over if said British agent comes to get her. It's all far too good to be true and the British know it. It's a great romantic plot and really adds to the glamour of the Bond world. Moreover, Istanbul as a setting adds a further romantic tinge to the story with its beautiful couples-retreat scenery. Add further to the mix a trip on the Orient Express, its clear that FRWL is a real piece of sexy spy fiction. It also helps that our hero is quite so beautiful and happens to be immaculately tailored throughout the film. The 1960's setting is also stunning as the film has a beautiful classy chic feel to it; I can't think of a more enduring image than seeing Bond and the girl lying together while she smokes a cigarette, it's a moment that's not trying to be cool, it just is.

Fleming's great skill was to balance these elements of glamour and sex appeal and marry it together with the deadly ruthless nature of Bond's work. One of the great things FRWL does is establish some first rate villains, here in the form of SPECTRE. There is a beautiful metaphor used at the outset of the film by Blofeld when he discusses the 'stupid' Siamese fighting fish. As the two fish fight the third waits to attack. This idea lingers throughout the film as we watch Grant stalk Bond throughout the story waiting for the opportune moment to strike. The Grant character really steals the show in FRWL he is such a quiet malevolent force throughout the story; efficiently disposing of anyone that gets in his way. I really liked the notion of him almost being the negative image of Bond and something of an angel of death. I love how he watches over Bond as his 'guardian angel' waiting for him to bring the Lecktor to him on a plate. Robert Shaw is really magnificent in this film as the Grant/Bond showdown is something we as the audience have been anticipating from the very first frame of the film. The confrontation scene is truly the best moment of the whole film. The highlight of the prolonged dialogue scene (aside from that great slap) comes when Grant tells Bond to get on his knees. There are obvious homoerotic undertones but I feel the moment is a perfect example of a great power-shift in the dynamic between these two men with Grant finally capturing the 'great James Bond' and rendering the man hopeless. Grant is the perfect foil for 007 as it almost seems that he has been bred from the test-tube to take down James Bond. It all culminates in the fantastic fight scene between the two, a lot has been written about the sequence, so I'll seemly confirm that it's as excellent as its ever been. The majesty of the sequence is really to do with its lack of grace, it literally feels like two men in a small contained space going after each other with lethal intent. It's a fight for the death and it really feels like it, when the fight is over Connery looks exhausted and so undeniable are the audience.

The other great thing about the villains of this piece are their masterful plan. There is a further metaphor used through Kronsteen's chess scene. Like the game, the art of spying isn't simply a battle of brawn but instead is an intellectual minefield. This element is further emphasised through the way SPECTRE pits the Russians against the British as pawns in part of their wicked game. SPECTRE are the chucklingly puppeteers throughout the film, slowly pulling the strings of the superpowers to heat up the Cold War in Istanbul.

This notion is great as it really sets the film within the backdrop of the paranoia and mistrust of the time. This is a movie where everyone is watching and keeping tabs on one another. Immediately at the outset with Kronsteen at his game, a message is delivered to him covertly, codewords are given at airports, and people can't be seen together in fear of incriminating themselves. I loved the mistrusting nature of the film; as soon as Tanya's message comes into mi6 they immediately suspect a trap and when Bond goes to his hotel he walks around his room to check if the place has been bugged. This mistrust is well placed as all the spies in the film are in fact most definitely all spying on each other. In fact in Istanbul it's all rather customary and Kerim Bey turns a blind-eye to it all. It's only when the Russians attack when the stacks really do begin to heat up. I love the way that when Bond meets Tanya on the boat he seems suspicious of everyone and when a man walks down some stairs Bond stops talking and walks away slightly. The man is clearly just a bystander but it all contributes to establishing a great atmospheric paranoid tone. Some of my favourite moments were these great atmospheric segments where the movie is silent and the visuals and music are allowed to play to full effect. For instance the movie's pre-title sequence or the scene in the Sofia Mosque, each of these scenes is plagued by a great thick cloud of mistrust and paranoia, or even simple moments like seeing Grant watch Bond walk across the platform while he's still on the train. The film's big bad, Blofeld, is also kept in the shadows which further shows the mistrusting nature of the piece. Even Bond's boss's identity is kept shrouded and all that is revealed is his codename; M.

Even Q's gadgets in this film were created as devices to evade possible detection from the enemy, hence their covert ordinary appearance. This idea was born of necessity within the espionage world but over time the notion has got lost in translation with the proceeding films. In this film, recording devices are hidden in cameras for a reason. Bond is a spy and therefore has to maintain a certain illusion and Q is the man behind the magic, later films seems to forget this idea; hence the increasingly ridiculous and unnecessary 'gadgets' (the belt in Goldeneye, exploding pens and keyring-finders) .

At the outset of this review I stated that I don't think FRWL is a Bond film in the traditional sense as it truly is an espionage thriller, but I also feel that it lacks a lot of the bombastic qualities that we have come to expect of 007 in recent years. The film is noticeably a smaller scale affair than the Bond films not only of today but also those that shortly followed FRWL's release. It may make FRWL look slightly pale in comparison, I don't mean that in a narrative sense, as the story of the film is great and the pacing is superb. But the production values don't quite seem as first class as they later became; for instance a lot of the sets in the film seem clunky and flimsily. Furthermore, the action also seems slightly chaotic and stagey with the gypsy fight scene starting to really show it's age. In addition, the entire gypsy and SPECTRE training camp sequences are also a little on the silly side of things, and for a brief moment during the gyspy-girl fight the film was at risk of losing me.

In terms of performances, the movie is first rate. The film is fantastically cast, even the smaller players. The actor playing Kronsteen is brilliantly creepy and weird-looking and Lotte Lenya is a lot of fun as the vile and small Rosa Klebb (her female authoritarian figure seems a nice contrast the Judi Dench's M). Tanya is slight window dressing but that seems to be an important part of her character, she is supposed to be a naive innocent girl dragged into SPECTRE's vicious web and Daniela Bianchi is quite beautiful. Connery is really the man we're here to see. His character isn't given much more to do than fully invest himself in the plot, but the movie really gives him some meat to chew on. Connery is truly quite beautiful and he seems to embody the suave and charismatic side of Bond with such grace and elan. The way he enters Moneypenny's office; I don't think there is a single man who dosent wish they were as cool as 007 at that point. But Connery's great ability was the way he was able to ruthlessly change his manner, often becoming extremely violent and deadly and occasionally quite frightening. Bond is clearly hurt by Kerim's death and tenderly grapes his friend's arm. However, Connery's Bond seems a man of rigid machismo and when he tells Kerim's son of the death he is blunt and matter-of-factly. However, he betrays himself of a trace of affection by giving the boy a few token belongings from his father. Their is also a trace of desperation in him when Grant has him on his knees but also a fair amount of resilience as Bond is constantly hoping for inspiration for a possible escape plan. Pedro Armindaiesz is also fantastic and slides through the film with his effortless charmisa. It's further testament to him that he was so very ill throughout filming, with reports that the crew had to often physically find ways to prop him up so he could finish his scenes. His presence is truly a treat and Kerim's death actually feels like a genuine loss.

So FRWL is a great espionage thriller that cemented the Bond formula; for better of worse. The film is fast paced, sexy, glamorous and dangerous. Despite starting to show it's age the film is still an epic first-class Bond adventure.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 8
    It's the greatest ever for me

The best Bond performance
    Best girl
    Best Ally
    Best fight
    Best Plot

I can watch it once every month and never get bored. A pure masterpiece from start to finish.
    Happy Birthday FRWL!

I recently re-watched FRWL and thought I'd share some thoughts.

The first thing that has to be said of FRWL is that I find it quite hard to see it within the 'Bond film' prefix. I know that the film established many of the knowns traits of the Bond series (pre-title sequence/ dancing girls in the main titles/ SPECTRE/ Q etc) but I feel that despite defining the 'formula' it isn't characteristically a 'Bond film'. By the mid '60's Bond had essentially become a genre within itself. This idea definitely abides to this day and people often talk about the 'Bond genre' and it's known staples. In my opinion, FRWL is in fact an Cold War espionage tale. A lot of the other Bond films seem to forget this notion but FRWL is draped with many of the great traits of spy fiction from this period.

I feel nothing more cements this point than the opening 3 minutes of the movie. Here we meet our hero trapped in the dark in a maze, a great metaphor for any espionage tale. He is being hunted by some unknown threat. This threat is Grant, a man lurking perpetually in the shadows waiting to strike, and slowly laying out a plan to capture his bate. In this case his bate is Agent 007. It's a great atmospheric moment that dosent rely on dialogue and instead evokes a great feeling of unease simply through the stunning visuals from Ted Moore, the snappy editing of Peter Hunt and the great score by John Barry, all under the careful direction of Terence Young. It's a great sequence as it establishes quite how ruthless the villains of the film are and sets up the notion that in Bond's world someone is always watching.

FRWL is a proper Cold War espionage tale, despite not dealing with the murky politics of Western and Russian relations. The films takes place in the backdrop of the Cold War and creates a fun escapism story which is still rooted in real world politics. This has been a notion the Bond films have always maintained and often done well. What I love about Bond films and it's something that Ian Fleming mined to great effect was their ability to create great romantic spy stories. FRWL probably has the best plot of any Bond film. A Russian clerk has discovered a photo of a dashing British spy inside a file and has fallen madly in love with him, so much so that she is willing to defect to the British. It just so happens she works with the much desired Lecktor decoding-device and she's willing to bring it over if said British agent comes to get her. It's all far too good to be true and the British know it. It's a great romantic plot and really adds to the glamour of the Bond world. Moreover, Istanbul as a setting adds a further romantic tinge to the story with its beautiful couples-retreat scenery. Add further to the mix a trip on the Orient Express, its clear that FRWL is a real piece of sexy spy fiction. It also helps that our hero is quite so beautiful and happens to be immaculately tailored throughout the film. The 1960's setting is also stunning as the film has a beautiful classy chic feel to it; I can't think of a more enduring image than seeing Bond and the girl lying together while she smokes a cigarette, it's a moment that's not trying to be cool, it just is.

Fleming's great skill was to balance these elements of glamour and sex appeal and marry it together with the deadly ruthless nature of Bond's work. One of the great things FRWL does is establish some first rate villains, here in the form of SPECTRE. There is a beautiful metaphor used at the outset of the film by Blofeld when he discusses the 'stupid' Siamese fighting fish. As the two fish fight the third waits to attack. This idea lingers throughout the film as we watch Grant stalk Bond throughout the story waiting for the opportune moment to strike. The Grant character really steals the show in FRWL he is such a quiet malevolent force throughout the story; efficiently disposing of anyone that gets in his way. I really liked the notion of him almost being the negative image of Bond and something of an angel of death. I love how he watches over Bond as his 'guardian angel' waiting for him to bring the Lecktor to him on a plate. Robert Shaw is really magnificent in this film as the Grant/Bond showdown is something we as the audience have been anticipating from the very first frame of the film. The confrontation scene is truly the best moment of the whole film. The highlight of the prolonged dialogue scene (aside from that great slap) comes when Grant tells Bond to get on his knees. There are obvious homoerotic undertones but I feel the moment is a perfect example of a great power-shift in the dynamic between these two men with Grant finally capturing the 'great James Bond' and rendering the man hopeless. Grant is the perfect foil for 007 as it almost seems that he has been bred from the test-tube to take down James Bond. It all culminates in the fantastic fight scene between the two, a lot has been written about the sequence, so I'll seemly confirm that it's as excellent as its ever been. The majesty of the sequence is really to do with its lack of grace, it literally feels like two men in a small contained space going after each other with lethal intent. It's a fight for the death and it really feels like it, when the fight is over Connery looks exhausted and so undeniable are the audience.

The other great thing about the villains of this piece are their masterful plan. There is a further metaphor used through Kronsteen's chess scene. Like the game, the art of spying isn't simply a battle of brawn but instead is an intellectual minefield. This element is further emphasised through the way SPECTRE pits the Russians against the British as pawns in part of their wicked game. SPECTRE are the chucklingly puppeteers throughout the film, slowly pulling the strings of the superpowers to heat up the Cold War in Istanbul.

This notion is great as it really sets the film within the backdrop of the paranoia and mistrust of the time. This is a movie where everyone is watching and keeping tabs on one another. Immediately at the outset with Kronsteen at his game, a message is delivered to him covertly, codewords are given at airports, and people can't be seen together in fear of incriminating themselves. I loved the mistrusting nature of the film; as soon as Tanya's message comes into mi6 they immediately suspect a trap and when Bond goes to his hotel he walks around his room to check if the place has been bugged. This mistrust is well placed as all the spies in the film are in fact most definitely all spying on each other. In fact in Istanbul it's all rather customary and Kerim Bey turns a blind-eye to it all. It's only when the Russians attack when the stacks really do begin to heat up. I love the way that when Bond meets Tanya on the boat he seems suspicious of everyone and when a man walks down some stairs Bond stops talking and walks away slightly. The man is clearly just a bystander but it all contributes to establishing a great atmospheric paranoid tone. Some of my favourite moments were these great atmospheric segments where the movie is silent and the visuals and music are allowed to play to full effect. For instance the movie's pre-title sequence or the scene in the Sofia Mosque, each of these scenes is plagued by a great thick cloud of mistrust and paranoia, or even simple moments like seeing Grant watch Bond walk across the platform while he's still on the train. The film's big bad, Blofeld, is also kept in the shadows which further shows the mistrusting nature of the piece. Even Bond's boss's identity is kept shrouded and all that is revealed is his codename; M.

Even Q's gadgets in this film were created as devices to evade possible detection from the enemy, hence their covert ordinary appearance. This idea was born of necessity within the espionage world but over time the notion has got lost in translation with the proceeding films. In this film, recording devices are hidden in cameras for a reason. Bond is a spy and therefore has to maintain a certain illusion and Q is the man behind the magic, later films seems to forget this idea; hence the increasingly ridiculous and unnecessary 'gadgets' (the belt in Goldeneye, exploding pens and keyring-finders) .

At the outset of this review I stated that I don't think FRWL is a Bond film in the traditional sense as it truly is an espionage thriller, but I also feel that it lacks a lot of the bombastic qualities that we have come to expect of 007 in recent years. The film is noticeably a smaller scale affair than the Bond films not only of today but also those that shortly followed FRWL's release. It may make FRWL look slightly pale in comparison, I don't mean that in a narrative sense, as the story of the film is great and the pacing is superb. But the production values don't quite seem as first class as they later became; for instance a lot of the sets in the film seem clunky and flimsily. Furthermore, the action also seems slightly chaotic and stagey with the gypsy fight scene starting to really show it's age. In addition, the entire gypsy and SPECTRE training camp sequences are also a little on the silly side of things, and for a brief moment during the gyspy-girl fight the film was at risk of losing me.

In terms of performances, the movie is first rate. The film is fantastically cast, even the smaller players. The actor playing Kronsteen is brilliantly creepy and weird-looking and Lotte Lenya is a lot of fun as the vile and small Rosa Klebb (her female authoritarian figure seems a nice contrast the Judi Dench's M). Tanya is slight window dressing but that seems to be an important part of her character, she is supposed to be a naive innocent girl dragged into SPECTRE's vicious web and Daniela Bianchi is quite beautiful. Connery is really the man we're here to see. His character isn't given much more to do than fully invest himself in the plot, but the movie really gives him some meat to chew on. Connery is truly quite beautiful and he seems to embody the suave and charismatic side of Bond with such grace and elan. The way he enters Moneypenny's office; I don't think there is a single man who dosent wish they were as cool as 007 at that point. But Connery's great ability was the way he was able to ruthlessly change his manner, often becoming extremely violent and deadly and occasionally quite frightening. Bond is clearly hurt by Kerim's death and tenderly grapes his friend's arm. However, Connery's Bond seems a man of rigid machismo and when he tells Kerim's son of the death he is blunt and matter-of-factly. However, he betrays himself of a trace of affection by giving the boy a few token belongings from his father. Their is also a trace of desperation in him when Grant has him on his knees but also a fair amount of resilience as Bond is constantly hoping for inspiration for a possible escape plan. Pedro Armindaiesz is also fantastic and slides through the film with his effortless charmisa. It's further testament to him that he was so very ill throughout filming, with reports that the crew had to often physically find ways to prop him up so he could finish his scenes. His presence is truly a treat and Kerim's death actually feels like a genuine loss.

So FRWL is a great espionage thriller that cemented the Bond formula; for better of worse. The film is fast paced, sexy, glamorous and dangerous. Despite starting to show it's age the film is still an epic first-class Bond adventure.

Very,very well put! There is always reason to praise FRWL and its 50th anniversary is even better than most. Surely it has got its faults (mainly Bonds somehow naive acting) but it is still the only really serious entry to the franchise. I have a hunch that I'll have an extra Martini tonight.
    The greatest Bond movie ever. Plain and simple.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    One of the best. No doubt about that. Oh, God, I miss the Cold War...
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Very,very well put! There is always reason to praise FRWL and its 50th anniversary is even better than most. Surely it has got its faults (mainly Bonds somehow naive acting) but it is still the only really serious entry to the franchise. I have a hunch that I'll have an extra Martini tonight.

Yes because OHMSS was a laugh-a-minute wasn't it!
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Just in case You don't remember there is a guy in a ruffle blouse and a kilt running around banging a complete allergy Hospital including a red haired Miss Piggy look alike. To me this doesn't spell serious,perhaps for you it does ( which would explain a lot of your expressed opinions).
    Of the early films FRWL is the one "true spy thriller". DN was a good old fashioned adventure, and GF established the formula and Bond films became a genre of their own. But FRWL stands alone. I have heard more than one writer say that the film has aged very well, (better than GF) and Sean gives a stellar performance.
    It is like EON abandoned the straight spy thriller following this film. Ironic when you consider that Fleming initially intended Bond to be spy thrillers.

Maybe by the 1960's the Russians were not seen as the bad brutes they had been in the fifties.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,497
    Me and FRWL had a bit of falling out on my last Bondathon, but as time passes and the more I had time to sit with it, it's rocketed back up to the top of my rankings

What I like about this film is the game of cat and mouse played throughout the film. Red Grant is a constant menace lurking after Bond in the shadows. The camera work masterfully plays up this suspense to the viewer. Grant is almot like Bond's alter ego chasing him. The fake English accent and etiquette Grant gives off in the dinner scene is chilling, reflecting the gentlemanly killing nature of both Bond and Grant.

Bond is always threatened throughout the film - even after Grant is dispatched, with the helicopter grenades, to Klebb's poison shoes. There is a constant one-on-one battle that plays throughout: the two Siamese fighting fish, the fighting gypsies, Bond and Grant, Bond and Klebb, Kronsteen and Klebb. This sense of danger and menace is what keeps this film captivating the whole way through.

Daniela Bianchi is lovely, but she is not very useful later on in the story, other than the girl along for the ride, whom Bond has some fielty too. But she is pleasant, charming and beautiful enough not to be a bother. Other than that, this film is solid gold. I love the main title theme too! It's not as bombastic as Barry themes to come, but it perfectly captures the tone and flavour of the film and it's settings.

Happy Golden Anniversary FRWL! <:-P
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Happy birthday From Russia With Love, my #1 Bond film. A toast oregonian_martini.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy Birthday, FRWL! Such a fantastic Bond film, will always be one of the best. Cheers!
    My number 1 Bond movie and one of my favorite movies of all time. The term 'classic' is overused a lot, but his is one picture that truly deserves it. Happy birthday!
    I was wondering if we could set a day to watch it together - at distance obviously - and then come here and discuss it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Just in case You don't remember there is a guy in a ruffle blouse and a kilt running around banging a complete allergy Hospital including a red haired Miss Piggy look alike. To me this doesn't spell serious,perhaps for you it does ( which would explain a lot of your expressed opinions).

Expressed opinions which he is allowed to have. Take it easy now.
    NicNac wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Expressed opinions which he is allowed to have. Take it easy now.

Sure he is and I don't mind him at all amusing me, so just relax.
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Imo a bit harsh , she looked all right........
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,497
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Yeah agreed, c'mon now. They didn't cast her for laughs. FRWL has it's share of laugable moments: "She Should Have kept her mouth shut", which is intentionally funny. But there are unitentionally funny moments like Rosa Klebb dancing around in her spiked shoes. And then there are moments of slight humour, which over time have become funnier because of how campy they seem now: the Spectre training facility for example, even Klebb giving a brass knuckle wallop to Grants abs - still comes across a bit humourously. Let's also not forget Tatiana talking dirty to Bond, while he is trying to get information from her, while M and co. is listening is. I don't think the presence of Ms. Scoular is intended to be funny, even if the poster above interprets her to be so. I found her charming. Point is, I wouldn't call FRWL the only serious Bond film in the series - they all have moments of humour, FRWL included. If FRWL was devoid of it, I think it would lose a few points from me. I think it would be way too dry if it didn't have any moments of lightness. Subtle humour is one of the hallmarks of the series IMO. Cheers to Terrence Young AND Peter Hunt for getting it right.

JBFan626 wrote:
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Yeah agreed, c'mon now. They didn't cast her for laughs. FRWL has it's share of laugable moments: "She Should Have kept her mouth shut", which is intentionally funny. But there are unitentionally funny moments like Rosa Klebb dancing around in her spiked shoes. And then there are moments of slight humour, which over time have become funnier because of how campy they seem now: the Spectre training facility for example, even Klebb giving a brass knuckle wallop to Grants abs - still comes across a bit humourously. Let's also not forget Tatiana talking dirty to Bond, while he is trying to get information from her, while M and co. is listening is. I don't think the presence of Ms. Scoular is intended to be funny, even if the poster above interprets her to be so. I found her charming. Point is, I wouldn't call FRWL the only serious Bond film in the series - they all have moments of humour, FRWL included. If FRWL was devoid of it, I think it would lose a few points from me. I think it would be way too dry if it didn't have any moments of lightness. Subtle humour is one of the hallmarks of the series IMO. Cheers to Terrence Young AND Peter Hunt for getting it right.

Well,allright I probably was trying to get my point across a little to hard,but I really consider her to be the second worst looking Girl ever to be doubleohsevened in the whole series (the first being the blond woman in the DB5 racing scene at the beginning of GE). Considering the humour you got me dead wrong. Richard Maibaum made a very wise decision when he injected this very healthy of dark humour from the "Sergeant keep an eye on him" moment on in Dr.No, which helped the franchise to distinguish so well from its competition over 4 decades. But there is a difference between funny and silly, which they only were brave/able enough not to bridge in FRWL. Sad I know,but nevertheless true.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Well,allright I probably was trying to get my point across a little to hard,but I really consider her to be the second worst looking Girl ever to be doubleohsevened in the whole series (the first being the blond woman in the DB5 racing scene at the beginning of GE). Considering the humour you got me dead wrong. Richard Maibaum made a very wise decision when he injected this very healthy of dark humour from the "Sergeant keep an eye on him" moment on in Dr.No, which helped the franchise to distinguish so well from its competition over 4 decades. But there is a difference between funny and silly, which they only were brave/able enough not to bridge in FRWL. Sad I know,but nevertheless true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was Connery's improvisation, Young approved it and so the one-liners were born.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    But there is a difference between funny and silly, which they only were brave/able enough not to bridge in FRWL. Sad I know,but nevertheless true.

You wouldn't say the same for DN? I thought the only real "silly" moments were those that were again, unintentionally funny, like the "dragon", which I chalk up to the limited budget.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    second worst looking Girl ever to be doubleohsevened in the whole series (the first being the blond woman in the DB5 racing scene at the beginning of GE).

=)) Never heard that phrase used before, but I like it! I certanily agree on the woman in GE. I was thinking, "is this the best Pierce Bond can do?" Not a good introduction into his ladylife.
    0013 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was Connery's improvisation, Young approved it and so the one-liners were born.

I never heard of that, but if this is true it's just another reason why Connery is still the man!
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    But there is a difference between funny and silly, which they only were brave/able enough not to bridge in FRWL. Sad I know,but nevertheless true.

You wouldn't say the same for DN? I thought the only real "silly" moments were those that were again, unintentionally funny, like the "dragon", which I chalk up to the limited budget.

I really do adore Dr.No ( especially because it managed to get so much out of such a little budget and also because I like watching 007 investigating) and up to the point they go to Crab Key it is one of my favoured Bonds, but this whole Fu Manchus secret castle buisness is just too much for me.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

I really do adore Dr.No ( especially because it managed to get so much out of such a little budget and also because I like watching 007 investigating) and up to the point they go to Crab Key it is one of my favoured Bonds, but this whole Fu Manchus secret castle buisness is just too much for me.

Fair point, I guess that's a trend that would continue in later Bonds like YOLT. I can understand the critique. Perhaps TLD, CR, and QOS might be some other examples of serious Bond films, with mininal "silly" moments. What is your take on those?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Not that I agree with his post about seriousness that is pretty funny.

And he is right that Ruby and Caroline in GE are beneath Bond's usual standards.

Don't get me wrong I still would but I would probably aim a little higher if I had a Rolex, Aston Martin and could kick the shit out of any bloke in the room.

Although in Bond's defence yiu could say he only shags Ruby to get information and Caroline to make sure she passes him. Perhaps the point is they are a bit rough around the edges to show Bond using his wiles to achieve an objective?

To be honest I've never been blown away by Helga either - although that healthy chest elevates her ranking somewhat.
    Tracy wrote:
    Scoular , Ms Piggy ?

Not that I agree with his post about seriousness that is pretty funny.

And he is right that Ruby and Caroline in GE are beneath Bond's usual standards.

Don't get me wrong I still would but I would probably aim a little higher if I had a Rolex, Aston Martin and could kick the shit out of any bloke in the room.

Decisions like this are not a matter of assets or strength. I happen to think that this is more a question of class, but nevermind.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Fair point, I guess that's a trend that would continue in later Bonds like YOLT. I can understand the critique. Perhaps TLD, CR, and QOS might be some other examples of serious Bond films, with mininal "silly" moments. What is your take on those?

TLD is a prime example of this "brave/able" thing I've been talking about. Whatever serious intentions they might have had - and for which I had been longing for years -when they produced it, to me they fell flat on their face with the Laser and rocket loaded car chase in the CSSR (let alone the Cello case escape complete with mere Passport waving while crossing the austrian border,seemingly endlessly waltzing Vienneses in front of the hotel and,and,and ...).
    Regarding the Craig films, well to me they are sadly lacking humour and even though I am one of the very few that consider QoS superior to CR (I wont go into SF) I consider Bonds grimm grinning when the bomb explodes at the would be assassins belt and the "Do I look as I give a damn" line in CR the only laughs worth mentioning in his tenure.
    This is part of my 'big four'.

No, Russia, Goldfinger and Thunderball. Love those films. The next three are lesser, though Majesty is a pretty impressive film for me as I grow older. What a good film.