If He Fires Me I'll Thank Him For It.

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited September 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
The negative Bond. The weary Bond. The angry Bond.
The Bond you wouldn't want to have a pint with.
Dark Bond has had mixed success in the movies.
FRWL (reasonably dark for the time IMO) was successful, but OHMSS less so.
TLD did well, but LTK less so.
CR was a hit, QOS not as much (Okay, so some narrative quality issues there),
BUT,
Big surprise- SF a really BIG hit despite some of the arguably darkest moments in the entire series.

So my questions are, is there a type of motion picture Bond you prefer (near burnt-out, professional agent, super spy), or do you like a spread of types, and,
has the general movie-going/renting public grown up enough to accept a darker, more literary Bond for long? If the next movie is very serious and not an easily accessible adventure with many comedic moments will it be the hit SF was?

Comments

• I think Bond films have been organic and grow within the nature of the leading man.

Sean of course did all of it during his tenure. And the other Bonds, apart from one, picked aspects of Sean's performances and sometimes exaggerated their quirks; comedy, toughness, darkness, camp, uber cool, sophisticated, charming etc.

Timothy was his own man, and Daniel has channeled his Connery's Bond.

The next film as DC wants is going to be lighter, however the director is going to make it artsy fartsy again and make Bond a moody teenager. I wish they let him grow up go through puberty and let him have a bit of fun without camping it up Roger style.

From Russia With Love has been DC's goal from the beginning - that's what I've been waiting for and that's what DC has been waiting for.

Smell my feet.

I do not like this overly forlorn Bond. It clearly is an attempt to mimic Christopher Nolan.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I for one appreciate the darker take (obviously, since Tim is my favourite Bond thus far). Dan's overall take is fabulous IMO, and if a few elements of SF had been just a tiny bit different, it would certainly be in my top five, as it is, I'm warming to it now.
    The super spy version as played in GF, TB, most of Moore's tenure and tthe preponderance of TND is all great fun, though, and cannot be easily dismissed by me.
    @Perdogg I would posit that your Nolan comparison is rubbish as Bond was there first, and his Batman is mimicking dark Bond, not the other way around.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    For those who want to continue with the argument that everything dark or deep about Bond is a copy from Christopher Nolan, do take note through research that Fleming created the character of Bond over half a century ago about twenty years before Nolan was even born, and that Batman was way darker and more complex in the comics decades before Batman Begins was an idea in anyone's head. That's not even to touch on that the characters and their situations are incomparable. As chrisisall said, it's rubbish and I do tire of the same old excuse that proves to be as sturdy as a toothpick.
  • Let's not forget that the line which gives this topic thread its' title was originally penned by Ian Fleming. Anybody who wants to argue against Bond as Fleming defined him is welcome to try, but I don't predict much success in the endeavor...

I think each Bond film changes the mood of the character and his world somewhat to fit the time it is released in, and understandably so. The Bond of the early '60s was still fighting the Cold War, but a few years later that war had thawed considerably. The Bond of the '70s was selling fantasy adventure to a fairly carefree audience. Today's Bond has to satisfy an audience that has seen a far darker world than that of the '70s. I have enjoyed 2/3 of Craig's Bond offerings so far, and I see no reason to expect otherwise from the next one. One thing I'm NOT going to do is judge the movie before I've seen it. I highly recommend the same course to the rest of you...

I have enjoyed 2/3 of Craig's Bond offerings so far, and I see no reason to expect otherwise from the next one.

2/3 out of 3 is a good score IMO.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    chrisisall wrote:
    The negative Bond. The weary Bond. The angry Bond.
    The Bond you wouldn't want to have a pint with.
    Dark Bond has had mixed success in the movies.
    FRWL (reasonably dark for the time IMO) was successful, but OHMSS less so.
    TLD did well, but LTK less so.
    CR was a hit, QOS not as much (Okay, so some narrative quality issues there),
    BUT,
    Big surprise- SF a really BIG hit despite some of the arguably darkest moments in the entire series.

So my questions are, is there a type of motion picture Bond you prefer (near burnt-out, professional agent, super spy), or do you like a spread of types, and,
    has the general movie-going/renting public grown up enough to accept a darker, more literary Bond for long? If the next movie is very serious and not an easily accessible adventure with many comedic moments will it be the hit SF was?

Where is Bond himself consistently negative other than LTK and QoS? In TLD he "snaps out" of that moment fairly quickly, and OHMSS and CR only have dark endings.
    echo wrote:
    Where is Bond himself consistently negative other than LTK and QoS? In TLD he "snaps out" of that moment fairly quickly, and OHMSS and CR only have dark endings.
    Consistently negative? Bond never is. He lives in the moment.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I definitely wouldn't describe Bond as negative. He has a past to deal with and certain problems in himself he must overcome at times, but I wouldn't say that he's a part of the doom and gloom nihilistic crowd.
    I want Fleming's Bond when I watch the films. Whether it is the burnt-out agent, the effective killer, the compulsive gambler, the borderline alcoholic, or the enthusiastic womanizer, I want to be able to believe that I'm watching a character lifted directly from the pages of Fleming.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Let's not forget that the line which gives this topic thread its' title was originally penned by Ian Fleming.

Are you sure about that? Because its Maibaum and MGW who get the credit.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Let's not forget that the line which gives this topic thread its' title was originally penned by Ian Fleming.

The line from the short story is a little different: "With any luck, it'll cost me my Double-0 number."
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    This is actually the type of James Bond character constructy that I want to see more of in the Bond films as my simple Bond film ranking no doubt makes abundantly clear. The nearer to the Fleming Bond the better for me as a general rule. I'm not interested in box office so much or what the critics have top say; I'll judge whether something is Flemingesque or not and Skyfall certainly delivered in this area and did so in spades.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    This is actually the type of James Bond character constructy that I want to see more of in the Bond films as my simple Bond film ranking no doubt makes abundantly clear. The nearer to the Fleming Bond the better for me as a general rule. I'm not interested in box office so much or what the critics have top say; I'll judge whether something is Flemingesque or not and Skyfall certainly delivered in this area and did so in spades.

Agreed. I'm uncertain of how the film overall will hold up in future for me, though I doubt it'll ever leave my top ten thanks to Craig's performance. I still think he was probably better in CR but that's probably because CR is a direct Fleming adaptation.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Agreed. I'm uncertain of how the film overall will hold up in future for me, though I doubt it'll ever leave my top ten thanks to Craig's performance. I still think he was probably better in CR but that's probably because CR is a direct Fleming adaptation.

Yes, though Skyfall was pretty Flemingesque too, while not being taken from any particular novel per se, the YOLT and TMWTGG aspects of the plot quite aside.
  • Let's not forget that the line which gives this topic thread its' title was originally penned by Ian Fleming.

Obviously, I have to stop relying on my faulty memory and actually pick up the books more often in moments like these! Thanks for the correction, @Wizard and @chris. Still, Bond's attitude is the real issue here -- and in this matter, Fleming's Bond and Dalton's Bond are pretty much in accord!

Bond's attitude is the real issue here -- and in this matter, Fleming's Bond and Dalton's Bond are pretty much in accord!
    I agree totally, BSE. How would you compare Craig's Bond to Dalton's?
  • I want Fleming's Bond when I watch the films. Whether it is the burnt-out agent, the effective killer, the compulsive gambler, the borderline alcoholic, or the enthusiastic womanizer, I want to be able to believe that I'm watching a character lifted directly from the pages of Fleming.

I'm with you foursquare. But the humor of Fleming's Bond is an overlooked element of the character. No, he was never like Rog in MR, but he did have a good sensayuma. I'd hate to see cinematic Bond descend totally into the sour and dour.
    I'd hate to see cinematic Bond descend totally into the sour and dour.

They may have flirted with it, but humourless is on the way out again, so no worries.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,564
    chrisisall wrote:
    Bond's attitude is the real issue here -- and in this matter, Fleming's Bond and Dalton's Bond are pretty much in accord!

Craig's Bond is blonder than Dalton's. Also, he does a LOT more running...which is why Craig's Bond doesn't smoke. Aside from that, they're quite similar.

Sorry to cut this response short...but I've got to compose my TLD review for the "Original Fans" topic thread tonight. See you there!
    chrisisall wrote:

Now that's a nasty little set of initials for a username, @chrisisall - did Elliot Carver pay you to do that?!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Now that's a nasty little set of initials for a username, @chrisisall - did Elliot Carver pay you to do that?!

The man from Ag & Fish needs to have a look into this member methinks.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

The man from Ag & Fish needs to have a look into this member methinks.

I agree. Just keep it from the Frogs and we should be OK.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    That went over my head. I need a Yank explanation here...
    :))
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,441
    I whant it more like QOS. In general you can say i whant Bond 24/Bond 25 have elements from TB, Yolt, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TSWLM, Octopussy, LTK, GE, TMND and QOS.

Find his solace, re-meet Camile and water thing/return of Quantum. As said before Bond 24 and mabey Bond 25 too, Ian Fleming name should not be credit in the maintitle,insteed the producer should be named earlier before the gunbarrel.
  • A combination of Diamonds are Forever and Quantum of Solace...I think M_Balje is what MGW does when he's bored.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    That went over my head. I need a Yank explanation here...
    :))

BSE stands for Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and is better known as Mad Cow Disease. See here for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy

Elliot Carver mentions the BSE scandal in TND in his first scene, you may recall.

Hope this helps explain my lead balloon joke.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The "If he fires me...I'll thank him for it" speech is probably one of my favourite moments in Dalton's short run. Like @Beatlessansearmuffs I also love the "section 26, paragraph 5" line. Dalton could do humour when he wanted to...just not one-liners.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    BSE stands for Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and is better known as Mad Cow Disease.
    Oh, thanks. I shan't refer to BeatlesSansEarmuffs that way again.
    :\">
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    BSE stands for Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and is better known as Mad Cow Disease.
    Oh, thanks. I shan't refer to BeatlesSansEarmuffs that way again.
    :\">

Unless of course you are a French Farmer they used to call it JCB named after the plant that they used to dig the holes in the ground where they dumped the fallen stock!!.