The MI6 Community Awards Will Return *The Feedback and Updates Thread*

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited September 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 28,694
Hello, all. I have recently seen that many members here have shown an interest in holding the 2nd Annual MI6 Community Awards, and I have gotten the permission to begin them again. I don't know how the format will be this time, how similar or different they will be from last years awards (which was very experimental for me) or what the schedule for nominations or voting will be, so this is a thread that I have started with all this in mind. I have set this thread up for everyone to voice their opinions on what they liked about the first awards, what they feel should be left alone, and what they feel should be changed to make things run smoother, and be that much more fun for us all. We can also decide on a time to officially kick off the awards once everyone that wishes to has stated their opinion and constructive feedback on this. While it was a busy job, hosting the last awards was very fun, and I am simply asking my fellow members to help me improve the awards and make them even better for the next ceremony which should be coming very soon. Cheers, and let your voices be heard! :)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The best time to begin, I believe, would be next year. That way you could judge the whole of 2013 in perspective. This would also give plenty of time for suggestions and categories.

Perhaps a quick run down on how you ran last year's would help @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7?
  • Great news! Maybe I'll actually win one this time around. I still have my humble acceptance speech lying around here somewhere ;)
  • I think we should have less categories this year. Some of them got only one or two votes last time.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm glad to see my post revival worked for this!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Awesome, looking forward to doing this again. I think @Samuel001 has a point, but you're at the helm, Brady. Again, if you need help, do let me know.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Let's just try to keep the categories positive and I'm happy. No "worst troll", "most annoying member", "biggest Brosnan or Craig hater", things of that sort.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The best time to begin, I believe, would be next year. That way you could judge the whole of 2013 in perspective. This would also give plenty of time for suggestions and categories.

Perhaps a quick run down on how you ran last year's would help @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7?

Not a bad idea, Sam. We could have the awards around the start of January, and as you said, look at the year in full review.

As for how I ran this last year:

I started by making threads for each respective category, and those same categories were chosen with the idea of getting a good number of nominees for each, though some didn't make it to the final voting process from a lack of nominees.

Those categories were:

-Biggest Connery fan
    -Biggest Lazenby fan
    -Biggest Moore fan
    -Biggest Dalton fan
    -Biggest Brosnan fan
    -Biggest Craig fan
    -Most Off-topic Thread
    -Strangest Skyfall rumor
    -Most Controversial MI6 Member
    -Best User-name
    -Best BlofeldCapCon Round
    -Best BondCapCon Round
    -Funniest/Most Entertaining MI6 Member
    -Funniest Post
    -Best Artist of MI6
    -Best MI6 Moderator
    -Best Music/Video Editor of MI6
    -Best Bond Related Fan Video on MI6
    -Best Fan Fiction Writer on MI6
    -Best Fan Fiction on MI6
    -Best User Generated Bond Poster on MI6
    -Greatest Bond Related Announcement
    -Biggest Fan of The Literary James Bond
    -Biggest Fan of The James Bond Video Games
    -Biggest Bond Music Fan
    -Best MI6 Blu-ray Artist
    -Best User-made Blu-ray Cover
    -Biggest Automotive Bond Fan

In each category's thread, I asked the members of MI6 to give their nominations for who they thought was deserving of the title. After all the nominations were picked, all the said nominees were then taken to the final voting stage where members again voted for who they wanted to win the category. The votes were then tallied, and an official winner picked. I then collected all the winners from each category (some of which were ties) and listed them in all their glory in a closing ceremonies thread where the awards officially came to an end, members could congratulate each other and I gave my thanks for all the help.

That was the basic process.

Now, things that I have taken into consideration:

*The process last time got bogged down and went very slow, but this time it will run much more smoothly, not only because I know how things run now and have an idea of how the awards would run, but also because @Creasy47 has offered to help me with the process: an offer I accept. @Creasy, we can work out how to split the work, which shouldn't be hard. We could just split the final categories in half or something like that when the time comes, and create a PM chat just for us to give feedback and orders back to each other in a timely manner.

*The categories will stay positive, and the overall emphasis will be "fun", where nobody is bullied, alienated, or degraded.

*This thread will act as the main updates thread for the awards. Therefore, if there are any questions as to how anything works in regards to this process, post your inquiries here and they will be answered. In the same token, any and all suggestions or issues can also be brought up and debated here by the community as a whole.

Thank you all for the time, and I look forward to starting this up again with my fellow members.
    Works for me! I love the idea, just send me a PM when it all starts up and we'll figure out how to split up the workload. I also like keeping it "fun" and not poking harm or bitter feelings towards any members.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Works for me! I love the idea, just send me a PM when it all starts up and we'll figure out how to split up the workload. I also like keeping it "fun" and not poking harm or bitter feelings towards any members.

Sounds great. Thanks again for the help, mate. :)
    Creasy47 wrote:

Sounds great. Thanks again for the help, mate. :)

Anytime. I'm looking forward to this getting kicked off in the future and the voting to be underway once more. We'll hash out the tiny details when the time nears.
    This sounds like fun, I'll follow it with great interest. But, can I make a suggestion: won't it be more amusing if there were an informal name for the award, like the Oscar or Tony? Why not the Cubby Awards?
  • I look forward to voting !
    I look forward to voting !

The admins look forward to banning. Must you make a <5 word post on every single thread in the forums?
  • That post was not <5, it was =5. Learn to read, please.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    If only one member has contributed to a specific category for the entire year, does that sole contributor win the award by default- or is the category removed?
    QBranch wrote:
    If only one member has contributed to a specific category for the entire year, does that sole contributor win the award by default- or is the category removed?

Last time some categories were removed because of very low nominations or no participation at all, yes. Some categories were quite vague and a bit too broad at times, so hopefully there will be a less confusing and more focused set of categories this year.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I brought that question up after looking for Blu-ray cover art. I may have missed some, but it seems there's just one contributor this year (so far).
    QBranch wrote:
    I brought that question up after looking for Blu-ray cover art. I may have missed some, but it seems there's just one contributor this year (so far).

Yeah, I haven't done any in eons. I chose that as a category because at the time many of the artists on here, including myself, were all making blu-ray covers for the Bond films and there was a great amount to nominate and vote for. Not so much this year.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    QBranch wrote:

Yeah, I haven't done any in eons. I chose that as a category because at the time many of the artists on here, including myself, were all making blu-ray covers for the Bond films and there was a great amount to nominate and vote for. Not so much this year.
    You could just skip that and make it the more general 'best made visual fan-art'.

And I'd skip the 'best user name'as well, as obviously, when you have a user name, you stick by it. It might mean that one person, who might never post, wins it year after year.

I'd also skip the 'best bond related announcement' as it isn't something the members came up with. Other then that I'd say 'let the good times roll'!
    Or, when it comes to display pictures, names, etc., instead of focusing on people who just aren't around anymore or users who have only posted a few times, we could set a requirement of them being around often and based on a 50-post limit or something, but alas, when the game starts up, it would only lead to people spamming, which is the last thing we want.

We could always just organize one voting thread for a certain category, have people throw in one nomination (other than themselves), and then set up a big voting section for a week. Like I said, you took the reins by yourself last time, Brady, so whatever your grand plan is, I'll work along with it.
  • I look forward to voting !

The admins look forward to banning. Must you make a <5 word post on every single thread in the forums?

IFM. As do the rest of us :)

edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    All the categories listed I would keep except 'Most Off-topic Thread', 'Strangest Skyfall rumor' and 'Most Controversial MI6 Member'. I'll think about what else can be added.

'Best User-made Blu-ray Cover' also seems to go with the other Blu-ray category and may not be needed. Maybe 'Best User Generated Bond Poster on MI6' should also join and the whole come under an all in one fan art section.

'Greatest Bond Related Announcement' can also be scraped as there is only one winner, news of Bond 24, so it's not needed.

Apart from that all bases seem to be covered, it's just a question of how best to run things.

20 categories in total, two a week, could get the proceedings completed in a reasonable amount of time.

In short:

Best Music/Video Editor of MI6
    Best Fan Fiction (Writer) on MI6
    Best Fan Artist on MI6 - Book, DVD/BD, Poster
    Best Piece of Fan Art of 2013
    Biggest James Bond Video Game Fan
    Biggest Automotive Bond Fan
    Biggest Literary James Bond Fan
    Biggest Bond Music Fan
    Best Bond merchandise owner
    Best User-name
    Funniest Post
    Friendliest member
    Most Entertaining MI6 Member
    Best Ongoing thread
    Biggest Lazenby Fan
    Biggest Brosnan Fan
    Biggest Moore Fan
    Biggest Craig Fan
    Biggest Dalton Fan
    Biggest Connery Fan

I've tried to order them in a lesser to greater order, so we build towards the bigger awards.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    The Skyfall rumor category can definitely be put in the recycle bin this year. I'd sort of like to know though what the criteria is for "most controversial member". If the criteria is positive controversial, then I might be okay with it. Sometimes people make a statement that generates some, but actually has some logic behind the statement and not just a personal agenda to impose their opinion as the only one that's right. Repeating the same statements over and over, refusing to debate, and annoying in general controversial are not something we should want to reward with any sort of recognition that would only encourage them more.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    @SirHenry, the "Most Controversial" category will definitely be gone, as I think it would lead to more negatives than positives.

I also agree with the decisions Sam has been making, like the threads he has disposed of, and I also like @Creasy47's idea about having nominees that are actually still active on the site and could accept their award.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Could I suggest User with Best Bond merchandise/Replica?
  • Murdock wrote:

Hoping for a nomination Murdock? ;-)
    Murdock wrote:

Hoping for a nomination Murdock? ;-)
    Working on it hehe.
    goldeneye_mines_wip_2__by_comandercool22-d6kwbg1.jpg
    @Murdock, considering there are people like you who build gadgets, collect figures or the books/films in a mass supply, I certainly think there could be enough nominees on here to warrant that category. I have seen many incredible pieces on here, both collected and hand-made. We could include in the category collections of merchandise users have built over years as well as stuff members have made by themselves that look like props from the films.
    Alright! Sounds good. :)
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Best written review of a Bond film may also be a good one, as long as those who have submitted the reviews are still active.