How would you feel if a black JAMES BOND was cast?

edited May 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 49
Will Smith, Jamie Fox and Sean Combs have all expressed interest in the role of 007.
And they are all American.

If one of these casting choices happened, I would be very disappointed and angry. What would be your reaction?

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    Frankly, it would suck. It would be a PC move on an already established character. Bond is a Brit and white. That's defined and shouldn't change. I was already ticked off they cast a black Felix Leiter! I'd feel the same way if they cast an Asian as Moneypenny or a Spanish guy as Q...
    No no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Luds :-S
    I got no problem with a black actor playing Bond so long as they have a decent British accent.
    I'd feel the same thing about when a white man would be playing Shaft, ridiculed by a industry that doesn't know any better.
    Hmmmmmmmmm....

It is an interesting point you propose gregdaulton. I believe at this very moment in time I might warm to it, if he is of corse a member of the queens england.How ever I would have to concur with Luds and BAIN123 if this news so chanced broke of the said character played by one of the said actors i'd be cursing at my computer.

And NO i don't know why i'm talking like this
    I personally think it would be the end of BOND. There are some things that are sacred. This would be one of them
  • If one of these casting choices happened, I would be very disappointed and angry. What would be your reaction?
    Same as you gregdaulton, and most others.

Bond being a white Englishman is a core part of the character.

The only reason to do that would be some kind of PC madness....

While they're at it they could make Indy a blonde woman, Superman Chinese, and JAWS into a killer Clownfish.....
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 49
    Well said. Bond's race is just as important as his nationality.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited May 2011 Posts: 987
    If you start along this road of PC madness where does it all stop? A homosexual Bond? a female Bond? A physically disabled Bond? A western hating radicalized Muslim extremist Bond? I don't ever want to end up going to see a black, wheelchair bound, British hating lesbian Bond film!
    There is a place for people of all minority's in a Bond film but when you start straying too far from Fleming's original concept the only result is going to be disaster, both financially and artistically.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This was a perennial favourite topic back in the day. Saunders more or less hit the nail on the head though.
    It usually rears it's head when one actor leaves. TV and radio start the usual 'black Bond' stuff to whip up debate (Dr Who gets the same thing regarding a female Dr).

One old argument was that Colin Salmon would make a good Bond, and he spoke of it himself soon after Brosnan finished. My argument at the time was that Salmon would be a terrible Bond. Nothing to do with colour, everything to do with charisma. He didn't have what it took to carry a Bond film. Otherwise he would already be a top star.

No, when the source is a series of novels, the writer has to be respected. James Patterson's character in his novels is Alex Cross a black detective, played by Morgan Freeman in the films (although he was too old for the role in truth). Any future Alex Cross adaptation will see a black man cast as it should be.

Robert Ludlam's character in his books, Jason Bourne, was white. And so was Ian Fleming's.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Of course they can cast a black James Bond. All you have to do is create a new lead character, think of a new name, and start up a new franchise. If the franchise lasts 50 years and 23 movies, and is still vastly popular in 2060, it'll be a success.

A black James Bond isn't only a stupid idea, it's also a very unoriginal idea. Instead of taking an already world famous character and turn him black, how about, as I said, create a new character, start up a new franchise, and if in 50 years this character is still popular. Turning Bond into a black character is just such an easy way of doing it. Start up your own franchise, don't steal ours.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,986
    I agree with Luds :-S
    Wiser words have never been spoken BAIN ;)

--

Yeah for sure DC, if they want to make an action star "Black James Bond" version I'd be up for that and if well produced and written I'd likely become a fan. Just don't call him James Bond, or Jason Bourne, or anything else already established.

What's next? Richard Simmons as the next Indiana Jones? Jack Black as the next Lara Croft? Halle Berry as the next Jack Bauer?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    But a 'Black James Bond'-esque franchise is a bit tricky to make it good. I wouldn't want an entire cast of black actors, or have the soundtrack exclusively composed or rap music, etc... While Bond is the epithome of 'British Power unto the world' (and I like that), I wouldn't be enclined to see a 'Black Bond' as the epithome of 'Black Power unto the world'. It's just too PC-conformist.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No one's talking about a full black cast and all rap tracks though. An action based spy series lead by a black actor could easily take off without it being a full black cast and rap soundtrack. The most mainstream possible the most revenue it likely would get.

But the whole argument about Black Bond is lead by the PC police who'd argue that it would be the same character in a reboot or whatever. Same type of stories, same type of cast, music, action, etc. Just with a black actor taking the lead. If this were to happen as @gregdaulton put out, it would cause some serious issues with the fanbase. And if it did, evidently, the PC police would call all those people racist. :-))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond should be played by the most suitable actor for the role, not a black actor just because its PC to do so.

In Britain we have the return of a cop drama this year called 'Luther'. The role of Luther is played by Idris Elba a charismatic and dynamic actor. He is black but his colour is irrelevent because it isn't important in the overall structure of the drama. The character could as easilly be white but Elba got it because (no doubt) he was the best actor for the role.
    Then there is the comic/drama 'Hustle' about a group of con artists.
    Adrian Lester has led the cast for all but one series, and the one he missed was by far the worst one. Lester is cool, attractive, funny, charismatic...and black.

There is plenty of room for black leading actors in British TV and on film.

Not Bond though. Never Bond.
    Colin Salmon would make a *great* Bond...in a radio play! Lol ;)

Maybe I'm a hypocrite: I personally feel that Jeffrey Wright is the first Felix Leiter to *do* anything with the role. He's 100% perfect. With only a few lines in each film he has managed to create a character. Good job!

But Bond himself? Is the real issue ethnicity? Have any of the actors (since Fleming wrote it in) been half Scottish, half Swiss? We've had an Australian, a Welshman, an Irishman and a Scott as Bond. Is complexion so important? Maybe.

But let's be real: it's never going to be an issue! Hollywood is too safe for that.

James Bonds a white man so it would be silly having a black man play him, it works with Felix because he's not the main character
    Only if it was a natural casting, not a PC stunt. I'm not a racist, so I'm not against a black guy playing Bond, just like I'm not against a blond guy or a short guy playing Bond. He'd still have to have a British accent, because Bond is British.
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    If this were to happen as @gregdaulton put out, it would cause some serious issues with the fanbase. And if it did, evidently, the PC police would call all those people racist. :-))
    The main issue there is the films are not made for the fanbase present on MI6community. So any Bond fan that would hate Bond turning black would be called racist, and 2) Living in an nostalgic world of the Connery and Moore era that is no longer relevant in today's world. In other words - Either you accept that Bond is now a Black character, or you shut up because of fear of being ridiculed in your school, workplace, pub or wherever. This would be the final nail in the coffin for people like me who want a return to the 60's and 70's Bond films. OH - surely M couldn't be white either? No way a Black Bond would be reprimended by a white boss... And M would most certainly also be a female...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This crap again?

No black Bond, no gay Bond, no female Bond and no Zombie Bond. Pu-lease!!!!
    In all honesty I don't think it will happen. It's an exercise by the pc brigade to create debate and controversy - and it's working judging by the passionate comments on here.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,986
    This crap again?

No black Bond, no gay Bond, no female Bond and no Zombie Bond. Pu-lease!!!!
    You really meant Vampire Bond don't you? ;)

@DaltonCraig007 People who want '60 Bond back are out of luck, that will never happen simply because the world in general doesn't. Kiddies wouldn't be into it. But there's still a lot of people in general who would not like Bond to all of a sudden become Black. The hit for this would be from more than hardcore Bond fans, yet perhaps people who don't currently watch Bond would suddenly become interested, who knows.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Again, it wouldn't work and can't happen. Bond is white and that's that. What more can be said? Having Bond not smoking anymore is bad enough in my opinion.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    I think it is a horrible, horrible idea for a number of reasons.

First of all, it feels rather condescending to the black community; very patronizing indeed - as if black people require a black James Bond to continue their lives or further their status in society.

Second of all, it feels like a back-handed slap against white people; as if Bond remaining a white character is not acceptable because it is keeping black people down.

Finally, and most importantly, a black James Bond would betray Fleming's original character. I honestly do not mind if they change a secondary character's orientation because those secondary characters add color and contex to Bond's world. The 21st Century is a different place than it was in the 50s and 60s; a black Felix Leiter and a female M make sense in our world and the casting of Jeffery Wright and Judi Dench makes sense because they are perfect for the roles talent-wise.

However, the last time I checked, the films are still about "Ian Fleming's James Bond" - http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_0071.htm - and that character is a white Brit with Scottish and Swedish ancestry. Change his race, and you change the entire character and story - he becomes a completely different character with a different kind of upbringing, heritage, and walk of life that got him where he is. That is not the character I wanted to watch because the character that I wanted to watch was Ian Fleming's James Bond.

In short, Ian Fleming's James Bond should not be fundamentally changed because he is great the way that he is.
    Thankfully the producers will probably never do this, however I wonder what Cubby would do if he was still alive in these modern times. He was after all willing to hire an American Bond on several occasions.

As far as fan reactions, it is my experience that Hollywood studios don't listen to fans of a property so our point of views and opinions might be excluded if they were to seriously consider this prospect.
    I think the thing to remember is the character Ian Fleming created, which was an archetype of himself: Eton schooled white male. A black James Bond simply doesn't fit this archetype.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Will Smith, Jamie Fox and Sean Combs have all expressed interest in the role of 007.
    And they are all American.s happened, I would be very disappointed and angry. What would be your reaction?
    Did any of them read any of the James Bond books or are familiar with the James Bond world to know that Bond is White, period?!?
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Did any of them read any of the James Bond books or are familiar with the James Bond world to know that Bond is White, period?!?
    I think that not only is the average movie-goer unfamiliar with Ian Fleming's novel Bond, they are not even familiar with who the movie character is. Much of the movie-going public sees Bond as an action hero and not as a real character. If Will Smith had said that he wanted to play Michael Corleone in a Godfather remake, everyone would laugh him out of town - but what opens things up for people like Will Smith and Jamie Foxx to throw their names into the 007 hat and, worse of all, people giving the idea credence is that a lot of people view Bond through a shallow lens as being a suave, womanizing, martini-swigging, car racing action hero rather than the conflicted, driven British agent that Fleming designed.
    Very true
    Sorry GD but what a silly thread - you're either gong to out the racists here or thankfully have the status quo agreed upon by everyone - minus the aryan brothers.

So what's the point of asking the question - and why black? why not brown, why not etc? Is black the obvious thing to say to cause a stir; who cares really? Next thing you'll BE telling me is there will be a black AmerIcan president oh ok, let's say a black female catholic lesbian Muslim president.

In fact that should be the new thread title - Should Bond be a black lesbian Muslim woman?
This discussion has been closed.