"Step Aside, Adele. This Russian Army Choir OWNS ‘Skyfall’."

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    This is a Skyfall cover like no other!

It's been said before but you have to had it to those involved, Bond music is very much popular again and that's a great thing, so much so you shouldn't get sick of all this, even a year on.
  • RC7RC7
    I wonder if this is deemed 'a bit gay' in Russia? I was waiting for them to strip down to their particulars and segue into an up beat rendition of TMWTGG.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,787
    Renegade Russian Generals singing Skyfall - 1D discussed on MI6 Comm. What next? Lady GaGa is a Bond fan?!
    Whow ! There is seven of them !
    Now I want to see this rendition in a clip featuring all the Russian general there is in James Bond. Imagine this sung by a choir involving Koskov, Ourumov, Orlov, Gogol, Pushkin, Onatop, and of course, Rosa Klebb as the main singer !
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well... that was something now wasn't it?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    It's actually a pretty decent cover, which makes it all the more un-nerving.

What's next? The Taliban does All Time High?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    @Willy- their next number won't be the Dr. Zhivago theme, that I'm pretty sure of- how about the Broadway version of "Nobody Does It Better"? Could be quite the song and dance number, swinging hammers and sickles around :))
    That's the hell of a good find. And the singers may not even know what the words mean, which makes their rendition all the more impressive.

As an aside, I wonder how popular SF--the movie and the song--are in Russia? I'm sure the numbers are out there somewhere, if you know where to find them.
    @Willy- their next number won't be the Dr. Zhivago theme, that I'm pretty sure of- how about the Broadway version of "Nobody Does It Better"? Could be quite the song and dance number, swinging hammers and sickles around :))

Well we already have that awful Vaudville version at the end of TSWLM so couldn't be any worse! ;-)
  • "vhen vorlds collide" and "ve vill stand tall". Even that is too much! :))
    "vhen vorlds collide" and "ve vill stand tall". Even that is too much! :))

Note how he didn't even attempt the high note at the end? ;-)
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    I take it the Russian army is running low on training missions so they're working on their vocals?
    RC7 wrote:
    I wonder if this is deemed 'a bit gay' in Russia? I was waiting for them to strip down to their particulars and segue into an up beat rendition of TMWTGG.

Funny I wondered the same thing.

It is a good cover, but I still prefer the original.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,965
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well whilst the Euro Vision Song contest is considered very gay in the west, in the East it's increadably popular. So I guess they don't find it very gay. That on it's own will confuse the hell out of them one day I suppose.

The Russian Army Choir is well known for it's increadable singers and immensely popular in Russia and around, so I guess this was just a matter of time, and tbh, I quite like it as well.
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well whilst the Euro Vision Song contest is considered very gay in the west, in the East it's increadably popular. So I guess they don't find it very gay. That on it's own will confuse the hell out of them one day I suppose.

The Russian Army Choir is well known for it's increadable singers and immensely popular in Russia and around, so I guess this was just a matter of time, and tbh, I quite like it as well.

Again, irony does not transport well out of the United Kingdom. It tends to sink about half way across the English Channel!
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

You mean one day they will ban Eurovision instead of hosting it?;-)
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Hopefully. They legislated to ban fox-hunting after all, and I find it much less offensive (to the ears, at least).
    =bg= wrote:

Well I have to say that I was perplexed and laughing at that! However? Atleast I actually played it all the way through which is further than those idiots Jedwood got! Refused point blank to listening to them!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Hopefully. They legislated to ban fox-hunting after all, and I find it much less offensive (to the ears, at least).

I meant Russia banning it as gay propaganda.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Right. I just wanted to throw fox-hunting into the mix as I invariably do. Adds a bit of spice, I find. A bit like spring onions added to mash, in fact.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Ytterbium wrote:
    Whow ! There is seven of them !
    Now I want to see this rendition in a clip featuring all the Russian general there is in James Bond. Imagine this sung by a choir involving Koskov, Ourumov, Orlov, Gogol, Pushkin, Onatop, and of course, Rosa Klebb as the main singer !

LOL. That would be something!

Great performance there! Molodtsom comrades.

When I first heard Skyfall the day it was released (James Bond day I think it was) I certainly liked it but it grew on me considerably over the weeks that followed.

It's too bad the song couldn't have been played over the end credits of the film too. I can't understand why they don't do this anymore.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can I say that I don't like the vocals all that much. I really don't think it comes even close to Adele's original.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Right. I just wanted to throw fox-hunting into the mix as I invariably do. Adds a bit of spice, I find. A bit like spring onions added to mash, in fact.

Boy I am slow these days.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Can I say that I don't like the vocals all that much. I really don't think it comes even close to Adele's original.

No, he doesn't sound as good as Adele.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bounine wrote:
    It's too bad the song couldn't have been played over the end credits of the film too. I can't understand why they don't do this anymore.

Each of the films have ended which either the first play of the Bond theme in the film or the gun barrel which can lead into only one thing. With this supposedly out of the way, we should hopefully get the theme song at the start of the next film's end credits. Hopefully...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty good cover! I wasn't expecting something like that.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Each of the films have ended which either the first play of the Bond theme in the film or the gun barrel which can lead into only one thing. With this supposedly out of the way, we should hopefully get the theme song at the start of the next film's end credits. Hopefully...

It'd be nice to see the gun barrel back at the beginning while either the same theme song or an alternate ballad is played over the end credits which also has a recurring instrumental version through the film like Barry would do. I love 'If There Was A Man' from TLD. I'm so sick of hearing the 007 theme at the end. I really think they need to change this now. Unfortunately in TWINE the gun barrel wasn't at the end and they never played the theme song though the end credits. Instead Arnold threw in some of his ghastly techno mixes. DAD had a lacklustre techno version of Madonna's track at the end. Not that the original version is anything to write home about but it aint bad.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    That was... not... horrible?
  • Bounine wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

It'd be nice to see the gun barrel back at the beginning while either the same theme song or an alternate ballad is played over the end credits which also has a recurring instrumental version through the film like Barry would do. I love 'If There Was A Man' from TLD. I'm so sick of hearing the 007 theme at the end. I really think they need to change this now. Unfortunately in TWINE the gun barrel wasn't at the end and they never played the theme song though the end credits. Instead Arnold threw in some of his ghastly techno mixes. DAD had a lacklustre techno version of Madonna's track at the end. Not that the original version is anything to write home about but it aint bad.

The end of QOS was the Arnold/4 Tet for the most part. I thought the Bond theme was very appropriate to signify Bond is back the way a lot of us like him at the end of CR, and they all but had to do it for the big anniversary. That said, I couldn't agree with you more about "If There Was A Man" and I like my Philly homegirl Patti LaBelle so no complaint there either. And we can't forget "Surrender", technically the end theme although it's almost universally accepted that it really was the main theme of TND.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

You wouldn't hear me complaining. Anyway, I guess some of the Irony does get through at least to this bit of drained swamp, but it ends at the German border (no comments there, that would be too easy)..
    Just for the fun of it, and to make this Irony so big it can wear shirts and introduce itself: the Pet Shop Boys are very big in Russia as well.....