Andmcit - film poster mock ups

edited August 2013 in Fan Creations Posts: 1,068
I've posted some of these in the main fan posters thread already but there's 100's of posts and comments there so here's a spot to keep them together as a matching set separately instead which will also allow me to add a few comments and thoughts about them to share with fellow Bondart fans.

They're just a hobby of mine and a purely creative outlet from my normal job where I can work up ideas purely for a relaxation basis. They keep me busy when I'm idly online on my mac and not reading threads here. Keeps me off ebay too...

The key idea for these is really just to indulge in photoshopping a modern take on the original posters which were in many cases purely illustrative so creating something different and maybe what could have been had there been DTP/photo manipulation in the 60's onwards. I'm not aiming to get too arty and abstract but grounding them in the real world with the expectations this brings. I do have some more left field ideas but want to develop a set of more 'normal' poster ideas first!

Where I can, I want to try and maintain the key fingerprint elements of the originals such as the logostyle title IF it still translates well (such as TSWLM) as well as period narrative copy and actual photo stills from the film in question or relevant onset pictures/promos particular to that film rather than a depiction of the lead actors from many other subsequent films etc. Keep the theme period and timeline honest!

In some cases I've fought the decision on how far to include elements from the films to capture the story or to have a cleaner more dramatic poster - it's a trade off that sometimes see's a favourite chosen depending on the mood as much as anything else! So. A few posters will have a couple of options/alternatives...

Anyway, my first is On Her Majesty's Secret Service which I've really wanted to have a go with for literally years and I like the results a lot. It helps too that I do believe I'm still hopelessly infatuated by for me, the best BEST Bond girl of them all. Had the Dianna Rigg of 1969 been here and now, I'm not sure whether I'd be the subject of a restraining order! lol

I feel this poster is a bit static due to most period pictures being b&w or poor quality so may strive to do a take 2:

OHMSS3-1.jpg

A second iteration to help lessen the dark tone of the overall effect and show the first symbolic meeting of Bond & Tracy:

OHMSS2-1.jpg

My next is The Spy Who Loved Me which is an original poster I have always loved and wanted to emulate by using photos - plus shorten RM's legs a bit too as in the original he must've been 7 odd foot tall!

TheSpyWhoLovedMeposter2.jpg

My next, The Living Daylights, is one of my favourite Bond films and where I have a genuine cinema front of house quad poster - to my horror now, as a silly student where I had it filling my wall I posted smaller posters with bluetac over the top of it in the black areas and this has slightly stained it! It certainly looks a bit too previously enjoyed but hasn't lost the rich colours and intensity which I lean towards emulating where I can.

TheLivingDaylights2.jpg

A slightly busier alternative showing the sniper is a woman, that LandRover stunt at Gibraltar and the climax bridge explosion:

TheLivingDaylights1.jpg

Goldeneye, another favourite of mine and a film that really had a positive impact for me!

Goldeneye1.jpg

A busier more action packed alternative:

Goldeneye2.jpg

I was tempted to feature Natalya yet the more in your face character of Xenia Onatopp featured a better headline grabbing role than the smoulderingly demure 'thinking man's Bond girl' of Izabella!

Next the many twists in capturing Goldfinger - one of the biggies for me in terms of redesigning one of the big Bonds that always seems to top every list anywhere when Bond is mentioned. No pressure then!

Andrew

Comments

Goldfinger has been more of a challenge - there are so many iconic references with this that the trick of balancing the emphasis they each receive I found quite tricky!

Goldfinger3-1.jpg

My first stab is still OK really and I like it yet the stark white contrast of PG in the top right pulls the balance a bit so I tried a few alternative HB images plus introduced the Aston DB5:

Goldfinger1.jpg

Another variant trying an alternative take on the DB5 - it takes up too much emphasis so distorts the balance but an interesting variation - I especially like Oddjob in the darkness:

Goldfinger4-1.jpg

A simplified version next where i tried to link a few of the elements together more suggesting PG is in the background behind SC:

Goldfinger5.jpg

Another take to contrast the Bond (and car) versus Goldfinger/Pussy where the elements feel part of the WW2 nazi gold bar

Goldfinger6.jpg

After a rethink I tried a simpler version with a full overhaul of the various elements which I feel is probably the most dramatic being simplest too but tells little about then film:

Goldfinger8-1.jpg

FINALLY! A totally different image of SC trying elements I liked the best out of the previous versions see's this as the final (for now!) version:

Goldfinger9.jpg

Next I'm looking at doing something with The Man with the Golden Gun. Time will tell how I get on...
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,068
    Well, it's action packed:

ManWithTheGoldenGun2-1.jpg
    ...and with a few layers switched off it's better cleaner but tells less of a story.

ManWithTheGoldenGun4.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That may be your best work yet @andmcit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love the multitude of images you use in the posters. Great work.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As for the DB5 in the gun I've never seen it done before it looks great well done to you
    Thank you for the positive feedback :-)

I really appreciate seeing that you guys like what I've been doing, as after all, you're the ones these posters would mean the most to more than anyone else!

It's a shame really that most of the source material for them is low quality/small file size from the web so limiting the size anything could be printed out for a real poster rather than just live here as one's and zero's!

I want to have a crack at Thunderball next...
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Kinky, especially where the gun points on the 2nd GF poster :(|) .

Nice work all of it! I like your sense of colour.
    Dalton's hairline with the lock reminds me strangely of Alain Delon. Did you insert that lock, @andmcit?
    I do have concerns about unintended innuendo though the playing a woman like a cello is intentional! Hadn't seen a significant issue with the gun pointing at the golden girl's thighs mind! lol
    boldfinger wrote:
    Dalton's hairline with the lock reminds me strangely of Alain Delon. Did you insert that lock, @andmcit?

It doesn't look very TD but that's undoctored/as I found it:

Picture32-3.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For this just being a hobby, you have come up with some very impressive posters, @andmcit! :)

I have previously found dozens upon dozens of high-resolution photos for a wide majority of the Bond films, so If you are ever in the need of any pictures don't be afraid to ask.
    For this just being a hobby, you have come up with some very impressive posters, @andmcit! :)

I have previously found dozens upon dozens of high-resolution photos for a wide majority of the Bond films, so If you are ever in the need of any pictures don't be afraid to ask.

Take his assistance if you need it, this man is a genius at finding quality, high-res photos/unique, rarely seen pictures on the Internet. So far, though, so good! The posters look great.
    It would be really superb having help to find that perfect shot from somebody who clearly has a skill to find it so I appreciate the offer of assistance - I may very well accept your kind offer ASAP!

By trade I guess I have a natural advantage and understanding with layouts and artwork as I am an artist / traditional hand drawn illustrator and graphics guy though the work is heavily biased to technically oriented industrial stuff.

I'm really still learning to create more complex artwork images in photoshop and never see anything like these posters though it's something I'd love to do all the time! I actually trained and worked in automotive / product design!
  • These are great posters. Keep up the great work. I would love to see more. :)
    Thunderball2.jpg
    Love that TB poster. That still stands as one of my favorite pictures of Sean. So suave looking.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think this poster stands as the best choice of images so far. They are all very well placed and sized within the frame.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Love that TB poster. That still stands as one of my favorite pictures of Sean. So suave looking.

I agree. It isn't hard to imagine why all the ladies went after him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Superb job done with these posters.
    OHMSSpizgloria2.jpg
    OHMSS5.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think the first version without the gun works better. Great Job either way. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    I think the first version without the gun works better. Great Job either way. :)

Agree. Much prefer the first version.

@andmcit. Could you try one with a different photo of Lazenby by any chance? Not sure if I like how he looks there.
    As my OHMSS new rejig didn't illicit a response (be it positive or negative), I felt maybe it was too bland and needed a bit of an explosion or colour! lol The burning / racing cars take away the sober mood of the first one granted - I just wanted to explore introducing a bit more colour.

I agree GL does look odd because the file I used was a bit soft where the first version posted was sharpened. His expression looks a bit pensive. I love the Piz Gloria shot as it's so dark and broody and hadn't tried situating at the bottom before but the thought struck me as i was setting TMWTGG.

Most great period images I've been finding are black and white though I do fancy trying a monotone version sometime.

Bond on a poster without a gun? I actually totally agree it looked odd adding the gun where he's so close to such an 'intense' Tracy and prefer the original too!

Anyhow, how about:

OHMSS6.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    andmcit wrote:
    Anyhow, how about:

OHMSS6.jpg
    Best one yet @andmcit great work. ;)
    Glad you like it - thank you!

I don't mind trying a rejig here as I like the excuse to stare all night at that picture of Contessa Teresa!
    DrNo2.jpg
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Very nice!
    :)
    And for those that prefer a simpler version with fewer elements:

DrNo3.jpg

OK, there's one less and UA has covered herself up a bit!
    I can have fun with these for hours!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Is it possible to slap in a small image of Bond and Sylvia somewhere on that lovely poster?
    doubleoego wrote:
    Is it possible to slap in a small image of Bond and Sylvia somewhere on that lovely poster?

Odd slant on things but sure:

DrNoSilva-1.jpg

Had the go with a slightly shallower UA portrait pic to reposition the title!