Unresolved questions from Pre-title sequences (answer, add some, or both)

edited August 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 686
OHMSS

Who were the guys on beach trying to beat up Bond, did they work for the Unione Corse ?

Moonraker

What happened to the flight attendant? She grabs a parachute but never leaves the plane.

For Your Eyes Only

Why didn't Bond just jump out of the helicopter when it very close to the roof top?

The Living Daylights

1. How did the hit man know to target the exercise?
2. What happened to the other Double-O agent who was tagged out - did he notice any thing going on or did he just report back?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Some of the answers to these questions are already here @Perdogg:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2843/the-james-bond-questions-thread

The flight attendant escaped with no harm done, or died.
  • OHMSS- They were obviously Draco's men, and as he is the head of the Unione Corse they would have to be members, or associates looking for membership.

MR- We're taking about Moonraker, where almost everything like DAD is goofy beyond belief. Obviously she bailed out of self preservation.

FYEO- I thought the same myself, but that's Hollywood.

TLD- Not sure myself about #1, I'd guess the remaining 00 was too late to help Bond out if he heard there was trouble, or just reported back after being tagged.

Glad you didn't ask for an explanation of Silva's escape, I have no clue how to rationalize that one. Most of the rest, I could.

• JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Does anyone around here know of how Silva escaped? It has left me clueless the numerous times I have watched it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    JrW_008 wrote:
    Does anyone around here know of how Silva escaped? It has left me clueless the numerous times I have watched it.

The best answer I can come up with is as soon as Q plugged in Silva's computer briefcase to the MI6 network, his virus took over and opened ever door. However why an 80 year old WWII bunker would have electronic doors is beyond me.
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

The best answer I can come up with is as soon as Q plugged in Silva's computer briefcase to the MI6 network, his virus took over and opened ever door. However why an 80 year old WWII bunker would have electronic doors is beyond me.

Well, Gotham City sold MI6 its surplus after the Joker escaped.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

Well, Gotham City sold MI6 its surplus after the Joker escaped.

Very good! I'm still laughing.
  • Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

This is the only logical conclusion as far as his release from his "cage", which is believable enough if you assume he is such a computer whiz that he could outwit Q like that. It still doesn't account for how he got away from armed guards without arms or henchman assistance, to be followed by why if he did he'd dismiss them (good time for Bond to have a gun battle there), or how he timed out that Q would fall into his trap just at the right time for him to know what the tube schedule was, let alone time it just right for Bond to be where he was when blew the hole that allowed the tube to come through. If they filmed scenes to explain all of this, there was poor editing, and if not, the writing here was very shoddy. But then, we're talking about P&W, not exactly the geniuses they think they are.

Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

I lived in a Victorian house with electricity and even internet access. A bunker is just a building, you can add things in it that didn't exist when they were built.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

I lived in a Victorian house with electricity and even internet access. A bunker is just a building, you can add things in it that didn't exist when they were built.

Indeed. My brother (a kind of electrical engineer) told me of an old house he was working in where in the attic the electric cable was purely copper with no overcoating of plastic or anything and it ran all around the attic on wooden joists or frames.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Silva's escape isn't a PTS; not quite a strong opening to this thread (ironically given it's topic).

Dr. No: Why do the three blind mice have to play blind? It only makes them easier to point out if someone witnessed them murder someone, and I'm confident no one in the film even sees them murder anyone. Was simply to be different? To get the song in there? Why?

From Russia With Love: The obvious one, but why did the guy Grant kills have to look EXACTLY like Connery? The only explanation is a film gimmick; there's no plot point that would make sense.

Goldfinger: It's much harder to swim right under the surface of the water to give the impression of a duck than it is to just swim completely under water, still undetected, with no duck.

Thunderball: How did the jetpack get on the roof, especially when Bond wasn't even sure it was Bouviar until the funeral just minutes before?

You Only Live Twice: From what I remember, this one is actually pretty solid once you accept the fact that there can just be a space-ship-eating space ship.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Why would Bond say 'This never happened to the other fella'? Is he referencing Cinderella or just blatently breaking the fourth wall? The men are Draco's, and they're there for Tracy.

Diamonds Are Forever: Why would Blofeld spend so much money to surgically create clones of himself if he's in a penthouse no one can access and operates on an oil well in the middle of the ocean? It's alot of money to risk on such an elaborate scheme.

I might do the rest later..
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    On Three Blind Mice - they don't look like assassins - they're blind so not killers and they feature in the source novel too - so there's your answer to that one!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

Exactly. You could see the bunker was being renovated and that it was far from complete. Modern security would be the first thing they should worry about updating, especially given the circumstances.

Most films contain gaffes and illogical situations. It usually comes down to if you enjoyed the overall film or not as far as the level of criticism.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Silva's escape isn't a PTS; not quite a strong opening to this thread (ironically given it's topic).

Dr. No: Why do the three blind mice have to play blind? It only makes them easier to point out if someone witnessed them murder someone, and I'm confident no one in the film even sees them murder anyone. Was simply to be different? To get the song in there? Why?

From Russia With Love: The obvious one, but why did the guy Grant kills have to look EXACTLY like Connery? The only explanation is a film gimmick; there's no plot point that would make sense.

Goldfinger: It's much harder to swim right under the surface of the water to give the impression of a duck than it is to just swim completely under water, still undetected, with no duck.

Thunderball: How did the jetpack get on the roof, especially when Bond wasn't even sure it was Bouviar until the funeral just minutes before?

You Only Live Twice: From what I remember, this one is actually pretty solid once you accept the fact that there can just be a space-ship-eating space ship.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Why would Bond say 'This never happened to the other fella'? Is he referencing Cinderella or just blatently breaking the fourth wall? The men are Draco's, and they're there for Tracy.

Diamonds Are Forever: Why would Blofeld spend so much money to surgically create clones of himself if he's in a penthouse no one can access and operates on an oil well in the middle of the ocean? It's alot of money to risk on such an elaborate scheme.

TB: This always bothered me until I realized that Bond must've driven the DB5 from the church to the back of the chateau, gotten out, flown the jetpack onto the roof and entered the chateau from the roof. Quite simple. Plus it makes a lot of sense anyway, because Bouvar finds Bond sitting on the second floor of the building, and with the butler at the chateau there's no way Bond could've just walked through the front door and gone upstairs.

OHMSS: There's no plot justification for it. Lazenby said the line a LOT on set referring to Connery, and Hunt encouraged him to use the line in the actual film.

DAF: Why did anything in DAF happen at all? Why does the movie even exist?

TB: This always bothered me until I realized that Bond must've driven the DB5 from the church to the back of the chateau, gotten out, flown the jetpack onto the roof and entered the chateau from the roof. Quite simple. Plus it makes a lot of sense anyway, because Bouvar finds Bond sitting on the second floor of the building, and with the butler at the chateau there's no way Bond could've just walked through the front door and gone upstairs.

Mind: Blown.

Now I feel stupid, but thanks for that! What an easy explanation.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Some of the answers to these questions are already here @Perdogg:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2843/the-james-bond-questions-thread

The flight attendant escaped with no harm done, or died.

Why can't these questions be asked in an already existing thread?
    Especially as several of posts already refer to questions not relating to the PTS of Bond movies.
    I will leave it open for the time being, but will review later.
    Perdogg wrote:

For Your Eyes Only

Why didn't Bond just jump out of the helicopter when it very close to the roof top?

This is the power of films believability over us. Even though the helicopter looks very low to the ground, it is still moving at a greater speed, than would be safe to jump off of.
    But as we see people jump out of helicopters in films, then we take it to be a relatively safe thing to do. It is not in reality.

Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

Modern security would be the first thing they should worry about updating, especially given the circumstances.

Yeah,exactly. Bring it up to par with the Security Systems that have just been defeated by the Enemy and were the reason to switch location in the first place. I told you,that you won't find anything that makes sense in SF.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

OHMSS: There's no plot justification for it. Lazenby said the line a LOT on set referring to Connery, and Hunt encouraged him to use the line in the actual film.

DAF: Why did anything in DAF happen at all? Why does the movie even exist?

TB - your suggested explanation is logical, except the jetpack is too large to fit in the DB5's boot
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Apologies about taking this off topic, realised it was irrelevant after posting.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 14,816
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

From Russia With Love: The obvious one, but why did the guy Grant kills have to look EXACTLY like Connery? The only explanation is a film gimmick; there's no plot point that would make sense. .

About DN: the three blind mice were also in the novel, three blind beggars looked inconspicuous enough AND even more importantly looked harmless.

Aboput FRWL: Part of it was pure dramatic opening, of course. But I thought it was to condition Grant into this particular killing: teaching him to hate Bond, make him more than another contract, create a special hatred for him.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

Modern security would be the first thing they should worry about updating, especially given the circumstances.

Yeah,exactly. Bring it up to par with the Security Systems that have just been defeated by the Enemy and were the reason to switch location in the first place. I told you,that you won't find anything that makes sense in SF.

Dude, you are a broken record that keeps repeating itself :)). Not everyone sees it this way, you've made up your mind it's this way and thus aren't accepting other people have different views on the subject. Just because they didn't work with a guy like Silva who has specialized skills and an intimate knowledge of MI6 procedures and security protocols doesn't mean they aren't generally effective for almost any other situation. If they keep repeating the theme in the future, then yes I'd say you had a strong point but as this is a one-off thing for the foreseeable future and something you would expect they would thus be working on correcting with the weakness exposed, I don't see the logic in your statement.

I'd expect you do agree though regarding Silva's escape and the ensuing chase.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    It's hard to argue against your point of it making them rather conspicuous. However, it did give them the element of surprise that ended up working towards their advantage. Strangways perceives no danger when he first sees them. He didn't realize that something was wrong until it was too late.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    While it is rather gimmicky, I always thought that they wanted to make the simulation as realistic as possible for Grant. Since his mission will involve tailing and then killing Bond they want him to get used to the man's face. This mission is extremely important to SPECTRE and they are preparing Grant in every way possible.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    To get Bond off of his back! It worked too. Bond killed one of the doubles and thought all was well. The rest of the intelligence communities would then presume Blofeld was dead and then the heat would really be off him.
    I do think blind beggars are not so rare in Jamaica as to look conspicuous.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JrW_008 wrote:

Just because they didn't work with a guy like Silva who has specialized skills and an intimate knowledge of MI6 procedures and security protocols doesn't mean they aren't generally effective for almost any other situation. If they keep repeating the theme in the future, then yes I'd say you had a strong point but as this is a one-off thing for the foreseeable future and something you would expect they would thus be working on correcting with the weakness exposed, I don't see the logic in your statement.

Well, no! Tanner himself mentions to Bond,that the Old HQ had proven vulnerable. Therefore and since they were still dealing with this unknown enemy it just doesn't makes any Sense to install all these Systems, that had failed them before (especially if you extra move to a world war II Bunker for the reason to avoid another attac like the one before). What ever happened to good old iron bars, watch dogs and plenty of guards armed to their teeth?
    You see it is not a Hobby of mine to spend my time nitpicking the logic in Bond movies, but I simply feel insulted, that there is really NOTHING right from a logical PoV in SF. And say what you want, but there is no other Bond movie (or almost any other, for that matter) for which something like that can be said and that simply kills me. Take CR for example. It is full of logical gaps, but at least they don't fly in your face like a load of buckshot, so I don't have major gripes with it. Oh,and BTW I don't blame P&W for this Desaster ( at least not entirely), since I am convinced that most of these mistakes stem from Mendes' "I do whatever pleases me and give a rats ass for anyone else" attitude combined with Logans inability to perform as a Screen writer, so pefectly illustrated by the appearance of the Goldfinger DB5.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Ludovico wrote:
    Well I'll grant you that I wouldn't know personally as I've never been there before. If I were to see three blind men walking down the street together like that it would certainly attract my attention though.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Mind: Blown.

Now I feel stupid, but thanks for that! What an easy explanation.

Oh, don't! It took me until my most recent viewing for it to snap into my head like a lightbulb turning on.
    Troy wrote:
    TB - your suggested explanation is logical, except the jetpack is too large to fit in the DB5's boot

But at the end of the sequence he stuffs it into the boot. I re-watched it just now to be sure.
    You could add how did Dalton manage to catch up with that speeding vehicle at the training exercise in Gibraltar and manage to land on the roof. Even a greyhound on amphetamines couldn't have done a better job of it
    pachazo wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Well I'll grant you that I wouldn't know personally as I've never been there before. If I were to see three blind men walking down the street together like that it would certainly attract my attention though.

Never been there either but Fleming did and he had them in his novel. I thought it must have been a fairly common sight. If anything, they'd pass as harmless, which was also their intention.
    Moonrakers PTS is an interesting one, great stunt but is it even explained why Bond is on the plane, where was Jaws hiding? Who hired Jaws, not Drax already, so obvioulsy the last crazy mad man from the previous mission?
    This one has always bothered me:

How exactly does Bond survive the "assassination" in the PTS of YOLT? The gunmen don't fire blanks as there are clearly bullet holes in the wall behind Bond (which weren't there originally). So how did he fake his death without actually being hit?
    This one has always bothered me:

How exactly does Bond survive the "assassination" in the PTS of YOLT? The gunmen don't fire blanks as there are clearly bullet holes in the wall behind Bond (which weren't there originally). So how did he fake his death without actually being hit?

I always figured the bed had something bulletproof to line it, perhaps between the mattress and frame/wall?