EMPIRE Magazine's Top 20 Train-Based Fight Scenes (incl. Bond naturally)

edited August 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 6,396
Surprisingly, Empire have bandied all the Bond entries together (FRWL, LALD, TSWLM, OP AND SF)

http://www.empireonline.com/features/cinema-best-train-fights/p2

So the question could be asked, how would you rank the locomotive fisticuff action in those five films?

Five points for your number 1, four points for number 2 and so on:
Mine are:

1. FRWL (5pts)
2. TSWLM (4pts)
3. LALD 3pts
4. SF 2pts
5. OP 1pt

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    1. FRWL (5)
    2. OP (4)
    3. SF (3)
    4. TSWLM (2)
    5. LALD (1)
    1.FRWL
    2. LALD
    3. OP
    4.TSWLM
    5. SF
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    1. From Russia With Love
    2. Octopussy
    3. Skyfall
    4. Live And Let Die
    5. The Spy Who Loved Me

A very silly move on Empire's part, listing five films as one.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    1. FRWL (5)
    2. TSWLM (4)
    3. LALD (3)
    4. SF (2)
    5. OP (1)

Spy and Die are a near tie... as the scenes are similar. No doubt FRWL will be the overall winner here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    1. FRWL (5)
    2. OP (4)
    3. SF (3)
    4. TSWLM (2)
    5. LALD (1)
  • 1) FRWL
    2) OP
    3) SF
    4) LALD
    5) TSWLM
    Well so far FRWL is running away with victory (and quite right too). Anyone going to have a different number one I wonder? ;-)
  • From Russia With Love (5)
    Octopussy (4)
    Skyfall (3)
    Live And Let Die (2)
    The Spy Who Loved Me (1)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm having a hard time remembering a train sequence let alone a train fight in TSWLM.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Are we counting just the fist fighting on trains or whole action sequences?
    Although on reflection I think my rankings would be the same.

1. FRWL
    2. OP
    3. SF
    4. TSWLM
    5. LALD
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    If we count the whole action sequences then I might move SF up a place.

Actually, scratch that. The bike chase was cool but the tension during the train bit in OP beats it. It helps that OP has a Barry score behind it too.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I'm having a hard time remembering a train sequence let alone a train fight in TSWLM.

They're on the train to Sardinia and Jaws is hiding in Anya's wardrobe and then he has a small scrap with Bond which ends when Bond uses a lamp to electrocute his teeth (irrc).
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:

They're on the train to Sardinia and Jaws is hiding in Anya's wardrobe and then he has a small scrap with Bond which ends when Bond uses a lamp to electrocute his teeth (irrc).

And launches him out of the window.

RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

And launches him out of the window.

I just love that scene mainly because Roger is 6'1" and looks completely drawfed by Richard Kiel, especially when he puts his hand over his face.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Jaws certainly shows his incredible strength when he presses the dummy Roger against the ceiling.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If we count the whole action sequences then I might move SF up a place.

Actually, scratch that. The bike chase was cool but the tension during the train bit in OP beats it. It helps that OP has a Barry score behind it too.
    doubleoego wrote:

Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) FRWL (5)
    2) OP (4)
    3) SF (3)
    4) LALD (2)
    5) TSWLM (1)

Even though I have TSWLM ranked last I think that it was well done and very entertaining. They all are actually. Someone has to be first and someone has to be last though.

I don't think FRWL will ever be topped. OP gets second place because I'm including the whole sequence and I believe that it inspired Spielberg to make the beginning of Last Crusade. It does lose points for the gorilla suit though. SF doesn't outright copy OP but there is some influence there. LALD is heavily influenced by FRWL with a new twist. Lastly, TSWLM feels like a combination of FRWL and LALD so that's why I ranked it at the bottom.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, for me:

1) FRWL
    2) OP
    3) SF
    4) TSWLM
    5) LALD
    Points Totals so far. No surprise to see the number 1:

1. FRWL: 55pts
    2. OP: 37pts
    3. SF: 29pts
    4. LALD: 22pts
    4. TSWLM: 22pts
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2013 Posts: 28,694
    1.) FRWL (5 points)
    2.) OP (4 points)
    3.) SF (3 points)
    4.) LALD (2 points)
    5.) TSWLM (1 point)
    From Russia With Love is absolutely the best, without question. You can't logically argue against it. FRWL and then the rest, for me. Five points.

Octopussy is next. Absolute thrill ride from start to finish and one of Moore's best action sequences. Four points.

Skyfall takes third for me. I like a lot of the action in it but it can be very contrived at times (really? A piece of chain that's managed to not fall off or even be budged by a rapidly moving train?) and it's really just a rehashing of Octopussy in a way. Three points.

Live and Let Die takes fourth place for me. Don't really like it. Two points.

TSWLM takes last. It's equally as (meaning not very) good as LALD, and I'm giving it the lower ranking because it's just a copy of that train sequence. One point.
    1. FRWL
    2. OP
    3. LALD
    4. TSWLM
    5. SF
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    1•From Russia With Love
    2•Octopussy
    3•Skyfall
    4•The Spy Who Loved Me
    5•Live And Let Die

TSWLM & LALD could have went either way.

# 1 From Russia With Love (now there's a surprise)

#2 Live and Let Die

#3 Octopussy

#4 The Spy Who Loved Me

#5 Skyfall

two and three were very hard to seperate and I did think for a moment that Octopussy even deserved top place, but content enough to go with that for now