5 reasons GoldenEye would have been better with Timothy Dalton (new article)

edited August 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 9
Just posted on whatculture. com : http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-goldeneye-would-have-been-better-with-timothy-dalton.php

--Let the debate begin with this one:) Cheers!

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Well the guy already lost me with his opening statement that Dalton had not been allowed to carry on. Dalts resigned from the role rather than being asked to step down (well officially).

As for his points:

Judi Dench v Dalton and 007 v 006 - This is the same point made twice, but at least it's valid. It's fairly unarguable that Dalton v M and 006 would have been a lot better in the acting stakes.

Action scenes: Continuity and Believability - I don't see why having the same actor as Bond makes any real difference in the action scenes (apart from your own particular preference for an actor). Big action scenes done with real stuntmen are what is demanded no matter who is playing Bond. As for believability if Dalton had chased after the plane in GE would it have been any more credible?

Finally, a grittier Bond - Well hardly finally as Dalton had already delivered this in LTK. But it is true of course that GE would have had a far greater dramatic gravitas with Dalton.

Daltons chance at blockbuster success: This is a lament not a reason. And despite the marketing flaws for LTK there's still the lingering feeling that Dalton wasn't warmed to by audiences. If I was the studio betting on a blockbuster is go Brozza over Dalton every time I'm afraid.
  • oo7oo7
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3067/would-goldeneye-have-been-a-success-with-dalton/p1

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/XKN57C0iB0c?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/XKN57C0iB0c?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • There was definite traction over the years that Dalton basically resigned because he knew if he hadn't he'd be creating unneeded stress for Cubby B. So the remark about not being allowed to is in direct reference to that concept. One will never truly know unless they were a fly on the wall at the time. This idea Dalton just gave up the role without any regrets sounds nice but I'm not so sure anyone would give up an iconic role that easily once it was confirmed a new movie was getting made. Dalton's gone on record over the years over how much he admires the Broccoli's in general, which adds to the idea he was quite possibly just doing them a favor bowing out versus having to be fired.
  • oo7oo7
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,068
    oo7 wrote:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3067/would-goldeneye-have-been-a-success-with-dalton/p1

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/XKN57C0iB0c?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/XKN57C0iB0c?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thread already exists
  • I'll always greatly lament that lawsuits and politics shortened Dalton's time as Bond to two films. Both are in my top 5 and I find them indispensable.

Dalton would have been amazing in this film as well, unquestionably the better and more accomplished actor, and he would have made sure he put his stamp on all of it. We see in LTK how fiercely loyal he is to his friends, so it would have brought a whole new dimension to the role to see how he reacted to a betrayal by one. His scenes with Zukovsky and Wade might not have come off as well as they did with Brosnan, but the scenes where he learns Trevalyan is alive and the beach scene with Natalya would have been completely off the charts.

The true story of his retirement from the role is something only he and EON fully know the truth about. I'm sure he had his share of regrets. But in the Hollywood game, money talks and everything else walks, so there is little doubt in my mind that a more well known and popular commodity in Brosnan would have been preferred from more than several standpoints. I hope one day Tim will write an autobiography and let it all be known, I'd be first in line the day a book such as this becomes available.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm not so sure that we would have gotten GE if Dalton had stayed on much like there wouldn't have been a CR 06 if Brosnan had remained as Bond. That said, it's a shame that we didn't get a Campbell directed Dalton film. Or at least one more Campbell directed Brosnan film but I digress.

As far as this article goes I agree with the first two points, disagree with the third, have mixed feelings about the fourth and disagree with the last.
    1)Dalton was a better actor so it would have been interesting to see him interact with Dench and Bean.
    2) As far as the action scenes in GE go I see no difference between having Dalton or Brosnan.
    3) In my opinion, GE doesn't suffer from not having a grittier Bond. The author even seems to acknowledge this as he seems to be complaining more about the latter part of Brosnan's run.
    4) Finally, the last point is not a reason that the film would have been better with Dalton.

I've seen much stronger cases presented about why Dalton should have stayed. One of the Daltonites should have written this. I have no doubt it would have been better.

Dalton is my favorite of all the Bond actors, arguably the closest to what Fleming truly envisaged, and I'm no real fan of Pierce Brosnan's Bond (although otherwise an actor of caliber), but once again I wouldn't swap the two for Goldeneye. Brosnan did a good enough job of things, did really well in fact for his debut performance, and will always insist Dalton was slightly a little too old for the part by then, unfortunately
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Duh. Any movie would be better with Timothy Dalton in it. I own Looney Tunes Back In Action only because of Tim.
    Dalton is my favorite of all the Bond actors, arguably the closest to what Fleming truly envisaged, and I'm no real fan of Pierce Brosnan's Bond (although otherwise an actor of caliber), but once again I wouldn't swap the two for Goldeneye. Brosnan did a good enough job of things, did really well in fact for his debut performance, and will always insist Dalton was slightly a little too old for the part by then, unfortunately

I agree there. I also think some of Brosnan's shortcoming might have helped the movie actually. Brosnan was less menacing than Dalton for instance. Against Sean Bean Dalton Bond would have seemed equally dangerous than 006, thus less in danger. Bean really seems to have the upper hand.