OCTOPUSSY @ 30 - Pinewood and Bondstars celebrate a pearl of a Bond movie

CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
edited July 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 292
"All I wanted was a sweet distraction for an hour or two".

On Sunday 7th July 2013 Bondstars held a globally attended event to mark thirty years since the release of Eon Productions' OCTOPUSSY.

As MI6's Ben Williams has reported, staged most aptly at Pinewood Studios just outside London the day was a marvellous celebration of 007, Pinewood new and old, the James Bond series, cinema and the sex and sari actioner that is 1983's OCTOPUSSY.

For reasons that those who are familiar with CATCHING BULLETS - MEMOIRS OF A BOND FAN will understand and recognise, taking CATCHING BULLETS to Pinewood held all sorts of memories, joys and first encounters.

OCTOPUSSY was this Bond fan's first trip to the cinema to see Bond. From those dancing white dots onwards, the film has and continues to hold great personal and professional resonance.

CATCHING BULLETS, Splendid Books and Mark O'Connell would like to thank Bondstars, Gareth Owen, Andrew Boyle and their hardworking team for a truly special day for a great many film and of course Bond fans with thirty year old Maud Adams crushes.

Cast and crew were in attendance including CATCHING BULLETS' Afterword contributor Maud Adams, her OCTOPUSSY co-star Kristina Wayborn, director John Glen, many of the 'Octopussy Girls' (including Carole Ashby and gymnastic choreographer Suzanne Dando), editor John Grover, designer Peter Lamont, sound editor Colin Miller, cinematographer Alec Mills, Executive Producer Anthony Waye and many, many more.

"It's for my scrapbook. I collect memories".

For a photo gallery and more from the CATCHING BULLETS page on Facebook....feel free to join the group too and tag yourself if you are in there...!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.610175782346108.1073741832.407779922585696&type=1

www.splendidbooks.co.uk
www.markoconnell.co.uk

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As a lifelong fan, and being my personal favourite film in the series, I would've loved to attend such an event.
    Octopussy really does have something for all, in my opinion. I'm sure all who attended were treated to some wonderful stories, and by all accounts had a grand day.
    My third favourite of the series
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Definitely in my top 10. It's not my favourite Moore film but I think it has his best performance as Bond.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    What an enjoyable day it was, too. Made even more enjoyable by spending much of the day with Mr. Catching Bullets himself, Mark O'Connell.
    Highlights of the Q&A will be up on the main site this week, so look out.
    @catchingbullets
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Love that Facebook picture spread, linked 5 posts above.
    Wayborn does look great, 30 years later. So does Maud, but her current look is more understated.
    Wayborn looks like she could still be a Bond girl.
    69511_610181229012230_1132703062_n.jpg
  • RikRik Southend
    I would have loved to have gone to this. Bah. Next time, Gadget.... Next time...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've always loved Octopussy. Thanks for keeping us all informed of events, @CatchingBullets! Much appreciated. Nice to see John Glen again.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/event_octopussy30_pinewood_quotes.php3?t=&s=&id=03536

Thanks for the article. A lot of great stories were told, it appears.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Barbara Woodhouse gag with the tiger IS & ALWAYS WAS funny!
    OP is tremendously entertaining.
    I can't believe that Maud Adams is 68. WOW....she has aged well. She had the best legs of any Bond girl, before and since, making her one of a kind.
    Remember going to see this release in '83, and it still feels as recent as yesterday sometimes

I've berated it often in the past, but recognize it as a fine release, but Moore's overdrive on humor simply weighs it down, but it's nowhere near as bad as Moonraker or AVTAK in that regard. Has one of the very best PTS in the entire franchise and one of my favorite sequences is when Bond is on the Octopussy train in West Germany and Kamal and his heavies are out to stop him

It would of been something to have been at that recent event for sure
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ahh, I absolutely love OP. This would've been a marvelous event to attend.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ahh, I absolutely love OP. This would've been a marvelous event to attend.

It was indeed. And the stuffed sheep's head was sublime!

Okay, there was no stuffed sheep's head but a very good barbecue in the grounds of Pinewood's Heatherden Hall.
    What an enjoyable day it was, too. Made even more enjoyable by spending much of the day with Mr. Catching Bullets himself, Mark O'Connell.
    Highlights of the Q&A will be up on the main site this week, so look out.
    @catchingbullets

Likewise @doubleonothing !
    chrisisall wrote:
    The Barbara Woodhouse gag with the tiger IS & ALWAYS WAS funny!
    OP is tremendously entertaining.

And a different film on the big screen, as all the Bonds are. They are cinema films through and through.
    I don't like OP very much but I'm fair-minded enough to say that OP deserves to have its devoted following among our community. It's nice to see a proper commemoration for a prime example of a popcorn Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I don't like OP very much but I'm fair-minded enough to say that OP deserves to have its devoted following among our community. It's nice to see a proper commemoration for a prime example of a popcorn Bond.

Well the great Bond films are often overlooked by conventional minds.

;)