Fiona Volpe Appreciation Thread

edited July 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 9
I am new to the boards here and this is my first post so I thought I would see what everyone thought of Thunderball's vllainess Fiona Volpe. I think she is the most sinister and convincing female threat to 007 in the series. I love how she saves 007 from Count Lippe on her BSA A65L Lightning motorcycle to seek revenge for Spectre only later to appear in Bond's bathtub when she plans to kill him. In the same way she lures Francois Durval into her trap of seduction and murder she strokes Bonds ego, even mocking him in bed only to turn a gun on him once her backup arrives. Even when Bond says the sex means nothing to him, she still mocks his coldness with the fact that she isn't some goody girl ready to repent from her sins with 007 and sends him out to be assassinated. After Bond escapes her clutches on the dance floor, she emerges hiding her anger and frustration with him from the rest of the crowd; ready to kill him in public if he won't cooperate. She underestimates Bond's attention to detail and it costs her dearly as she is turned into the direction of the shot. Who do you feel is a great female threat to James Bond?

Comments

As far as evil Bond girls go, she is the best. I think Rosa Klebb and Irma Bunt are more sinister though, because they were repulsive. But hey, when it comes to sexy Bond villainess, Fiona Volpe is the best. Others were pale imitations.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Bond girl or villain? If you mix both categories, she is the clear winner I think.
    As an appreciation thread, I will stick with appreciation and not bring up the other fine Bond girls here. Luciana as Fiona definitely left her mark - so many decades ago, and her performance remains memorable. A lovely and talented actress.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    She makes me forget about every other woman that was in Thunderball. One of the most beautiful women to ever star in a Bond film. She's not the most sinister of villains but she's definitely one of the most fun. She stole every single scene that she was in. Did I mention that I liked her?
    She's not the most sinister because she is so attractive. And not a caricature either.
    Actually, Fiona strikes me as quite sinister. She's got a very hard edge to her that belies her lovely curves. Fiona strikes me as quite heartless and fully capable of cold-blooded murder.

Now I'm not about to say that Luciana is the most talented actress ever to appear in a Bond film, but Fiona Volpe is certainly one of the better female characters to grace the series. And lucky me, I'll be watching TB tomorrow night.
    Actually, Fiona strikes me as quite sinister. She's got a very hard edge to her that belies her lovely curves. Fiona strikes me as quite heartless and fully capable of cold-blooded murder.

Now I'm not about to say that Luciana is the most talented actress ever to appear in a Bond film, but Fiona Volpe is certainly one of the better female characters to grace the series. And lucky me, I'll be watching TB tomorrow night.

Oh true, she is sinister this way. The perfect femme fatale, and much more threatening than say Frost, Xenia or Elektra. But I'd rather be killed by Fiona Volpe than Rosa Klebb. Depending of the circumstances of my murder of course. In a way, that's what makes her sinister. And now I think ill watch TB this weekend, this thread got me in the mood for it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As far as female villains go, Fiona Volpe is the template that should be used for all who follow. I hope we get another one on film soon. Such a great character.
    Fiona Volpe is the very first character that enter's my head when i hear the words - bad Bond girl'. For me, she's the perfect Bond Villainess - Beautiful, sexy, exotic accent, good actress, cold blooded and ruthless right until the end - and i love a red head..One of the very best Bond girls ever - great character..
    Zorin61 wrote:
    Fiona Volpe is the very first character that enter's my head when i think of the words - 'bad Bond girl'. For me, she's the perfect Bond Villainess - Beautiful, sexy, exotic accent, good actress, cold blooded and ruthless right until the end - and i love a red head..One of the very best Bond girls ever - great character..

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fiona Volpe is the best Bond girl of all time for me. Frustratingly beautiful and sinisterly sexy. She was just absolutely brilliant in TB and her villainy as a Femme Fatale has yet to be topped.
    She is THE femme fatale of the Bond movies, for sure.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2013 Posts: 3,262
    When it comes to Bond's femme fatales, no one beats VOLPE

lucianapaluzzi.jpg

Definitely VOLPE. She is to the category of bad Bond girls what Connery is to Bond. The gold standard all other Bond villainesses are measured against.
    Yep. The benchmark of female villainy. She also had the most erotic sex appeal in any Bond film too. Those scenes with Francois and then later on with Bond.
    When she is on the screen she just steals it for me! She is an absolute Siren with the deadly touch too! What a way to go! She is stunning! :x
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    She's the epitome of 'Femme fatale'. You know you're in trouble when you get mixed up with her, but boy oh boy would you WANT to get mixed up with her! I think she's the sexiest Bondgirl tht ever graced the silver screens. Even for feminists she's a role model, as she clearly stands her ground when compared to the main villain, Emilio Largo.
    13885454_gal.jpg
    Amen to that!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Fiona, MayDay, Bunt and Klebb are the best villainesses of the series imo.
  • Fiona Volpe made TB and was killed off way too soon.
    One of the very best things about Thunderball, wish we had seen more of her, instead of those prolonged boring underwater sequences

Reminds me of Fatima Blush in a sense, although she was not a part of the official series. I've seen her (Paluzzi) in one or two other movies, and simply put, she's a very attractive and alluring woman. I always enjoy a bad girl in the James Bond franchise. Rosamund Pike and Sophie Marceau haven't quite duplicated the badness of previous actresses in past years for example, in more recent entries. Famke Janssen, borderline case. Didn't do a job for everybody, but back to Paluzzi and her Volpe character - it actually worked

An interesting statement. The Khantessa raves about MayDay, and I think Bunt is tremendously underrated.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

An interesting statement. The Khantessa raves about MayDay, and I think Bunt is tremendously underrated.
    I'd definately support a MayDay and/ or Bunt appreciation threat. But all in all they're good villains, but no Femmes Fatales. I mean with Volpe you'd do anything to get her into your bed, even if you knew chances of survival would be enormously reduced if you did so. She's so hot and sexy you'd take such a risk. 'What's the point of living if you can't feel alive'. Now I can imagine some people would feel the same about Bunt and MaDay, but I'm not one of them.....

I'd definately support a MayDay and/ or Bunt appreciation threat. But all in all they're good villains, but no Femmes Fatales. I mean with Volpe you'd do anything to get her into your bed, even if you knew chances of survival would be enormously reduced if you did so. She's so hot and sexy you'd take such a risk. 'What's the point of living if you can't feel alive'. Now I can imagine some people would feel the same about Bunt and MaDay, but I'm not one of them.....

I can't!

:-j

I can't!

:-j

As Obama said: "Yes you can!" and this image will never, ever, evade from your memory.. :-P
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 69
    My favourite scene with her is when she is lying on the bed with Lippe and she pulls back up the strap of her dress.
    Wow, do I wish I was that actor for those few minutes......
    I believe that was Angelo, not Lippe.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My favourite scene with her is when she is lying on the bed with Lippe and she pulls back up the strap of her dress.
    Wow, do I wish I was that actor for those few minutes......

Yes, one of the sexiest scenes in the entire series.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah yes, Fiona Volpe - no wonder that I've got a thing for red-heads....

Terrific character, played superbly well by Luciana Paluzzi.

Angelo was the doppleganger. It was Derval. Who died happy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:

Angelo was the doppleganger. It was Derval. Who died happy.

Good point. Correct.
    I also loved Volpe's line of, 'wanna bet?' after Derval said he may not be in the mood for sex when he gets back. That confidence and self assuredness, wrapped in voluptuous sex appeal is just one of many reasons why Volpe is THE Bond girl in my book.