The 9 year jump in Goldeneye , what happened ?

edited July 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 31
Goldeneye is one of my favourite Bond films. But I always think of what could have happened in those 9 years . The first thing that comes to mind is his conflict with Valentin Zukovsky and the new "lady" M being appointed. Who can come up with a detailed description of what could have happened between Bond and Zukovsky ? And if possible what was the story with Bond and Paris (make one up)

Comments

• hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 496
    Brown's M was sacked. 006 was dead M was appointed he met Zukovsky might have done more missions.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    007GAMER wrote:
    Goldeneye is one of my favourite Bond films. But I always think of what could have happened in those 9 years . The first thing that comes to mind is his conflict with Valentin Zukovsky and the new "lady" M being appointed. Who can come up with a detailed description of what could have happened between Bond and Zukovsky ? And if possible what was the story with Bond and Paris (make one up)

The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill & The Property of a Lady happened ;)

• 007GAMER wrote:

The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill & The Property of a Lady happened ;)

Correct! And even better, Dalton was still Bond :D
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Bond sat down in his easy chair in his flat, kept a bottle on the table beside him, and watched CNN for nine years straight.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 366
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    1986- Trevelayn "dies" on a mission with Bond (as seen in GE).

1987- After the death of 006, the government decide to test the 00 section by sending them to Gilbatar (and so TLD begins).

1989- LTK happened.

1990- After going rogue in LTK Bond is given a last chance. He's sent to Japan where he discovers Blofeld is alive and this brings back painful memories of Tracy dying. The YOLT book happens (with some changes like names, etc, based on what's been used before).

1991- TMWTGG book happens (again with some plot and name changes).

1992- Property Of A Lady (never made 3rd film) happened.

1993 to 95- Bond went on a fair few missions, one of them involving Zukofsky, where he gave him a limp. He also met Paris and left her during this time.

Robert Browns M had been feeling more and more stressed after Bond's failed assassination attempt and eventually he retires. Judi Dench arrives and when she finds out what Bond's been up to over the last few years, she has him evaluated (GE continues).

• MrBondMrBond Station S

1987- After the death of 006, the government decide to test the 00 section by sending them to Gilbatar (and so TLD begins).

1989- LTK happened.

1990- After going rogue in LTK Bond is given a last chance. He's sent to Japan where he discovers Blofeld is alive and this brings back painful memories of Tracy dying. The YOLT book happens (with some changes like names, etc, based on what's been used before).

1993 to 95- Bond went on a fair few missions, one of them involving Zukofsky, where he gave him a limp. He also met Paris and left her during this time.

Robert Browns M had been feeling more and more stressed after Bond's failed assassination attempt and eventually he retires. Judi Dench arrives and when she finds out what Bond's been up to over the last few years, she has him evaluated (GE continues).

That was a great timeline! Thank you for letting me wrap my head around that! Bloody amazing @thelivingroyale
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Everthing after the maintitles happend in 2004. In those 9 years: 1997 TMND, Twine in 1999 and DAD in 2002. CR 2006, QOS 2008 and 2012 Skyfall. In other words GE before the maintitles be in 1995, whyle after the maintitles play between DAD and CR in 2004.

The fight Bond have with some henchman in the maintitle of CR stay symbol for fight him self trow the years and also Alec his death look like it not happend long a go if that part of GE be set in 2004 because CR is from 2006. In the original way the movies be made i see it symbol of Bond lost a friend and wil lose more people in the future/fight him self trow the years.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    M_Balje wrote:
    1997 TMND,

Teenaged Mutant Ninja Domino?! DId Largo survive, and use the nukes he stole to mutate her?! My God!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

1989- LTK happened.

Oh man, THANK you for that!! Inspired!! :O =D> ^:)^
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm sure that this has been brought up before but did anyone else at the time take the nine year gap as a way of EON saying that Dalton never happened? I remember seeing it in the theater for the first time and then doing the math and laughing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    M_Balje wrote:
    Everthing after the maintitles happend in 2004. In those 9 years: 1997 TMND, Twine in 1999 and DAD in 2002. CR 2006, QOS 2008 and 2012 Skyfall. In other words GE before the maintitles be in 1995, whyle after the maintitles play between DAD and CR in 2004.

The fight Bond have with some henchman in the maintitle of CR stay symbol for fight him self trow the years and also Alec his death look like it not happend long a go if that part of GE be set in 2004 because CR is from 2006. In the original way the movies be made i see it symbol of Bond lost a friend and wil lose more people in the future/fight him self trow the years.

I think it's much easier and correct to view the bulk of GE as happening in '95. The PTS took place in 1986.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    pachazo wrote:
    did anyone else at the time take the nine year gap as a way of EON saying that Dalton never happened?
    No.
    @thelivingroyale , that was perfect .
  • The original intention was that Caroline was assessing Bond in Monaco to verify his fitness to return to duty after the events of LTK. So, at draft stage at least, the idea was that GE was set not too long after LTK

1989- LTK happened.

Very good, except I would put Bond shooting Zukowsky when USSR still existed as he was then KGB.
  • It's odd for me, because the gap implies that Brosnan's Bond spent a decade, in his 30s, doing nothing, save pining over 006.
    It's odd for me, because the gap implies that Brosnan's Bond spent a decade, in his 30s, doing nothing, save pining over 006.
    I think it is implied that he did missions inbetween. Heck, all we know is that it happened after the events of Dr No as he's using a Walther. If anything we could build a whole timeline between the PTS and the main events of GE.
    The opening of GE takes place before the events of TLD and LTK. I always thought that was pretty obvious.

This was essentially done as a device of showing the Bond within his traditional Cold War setting and then juxaposing it with the reality of where the world had found itself in 1995. One of the big elements of GE is about bringing Bond into the modern world. The filmmaker's bravely decided not to reinterpret Bond in a modern context, they kept the character firmly in his Cold War roots and essentially dragged him kicking and screaming into the '90s.

I think this may have been the cleverest trick the franchise has done (aside rebooting with Daniel Craig) since they directly tackled many criticisms that were levied at the franchise; namely: Is Bond really needed anymore? Well in GE he showed he really was.
    @Ludvico I'd forgotten Zukovsky was KGB, thanks.

A way around this would be moving YOLT back to 89 (let's assume LTK takes place early in the year), moving TMWTGG to 1990 and then Bond can meet Zukofsky in either late 1990 or early 1991.
    Always thought the setting of the PTS was a bit of a dig at Timbo, basically saying Brosnan should have been Bond all along.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited July 2013 Posts: 7,314
    Always thought the setting of the PTS was a bit of a dig at Timbo, basically saying Brosnan should have been Bond all along.

Yeah it really is quite odd isn't it? It's probably just a coincidence but then again nine years is a strange time frame. Especially since we've never seen a jump in time that far in a Bond film before or after GE. Assuming that the movie takes place in 1995, since it was filmed and released that year, then what is so significant about the year 1986? Chernobyl maybe? As a way to tie in the theme of the fall of the Soviet Union?

To a much lesser extent I always got a DAF vibe about the PTS. As if they wanted to sweep the last movie under the rug and pretend that it never existed. Or in this case the last two movies. See, Brosnan was Bond in 1986 just like he was supposed to be! It could also be true that I've put way too much thought into this. My apologies, everyone.
    I love this thread.Very impressed with everyone's creativeness. If only Property of a Lady had actually happened!
    I think there are many possible reasons for the nine years: they needed enough time for Trevelyan to become Janus, they may not have wanted an exact decade because we wouldn't think the characters would have got much older (if I'm not mistaken people automatically register double digit numbers as much bigger than single ones), etc. I did like one thing about it: it demolished the codename theory.