OCTOPUSSY 30 YR ANNIVERSARY

edited June 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
We celebrate another 007 Anniversary. this one is for the film Octopussy. released in the summer of 1983.
With all the hoopla and love that TSWLM receives as being Sir Roger's best film, I disagree. I have always had a soft spot for OP. so we look back fondly...thirty years ago when I wore a younger man's clothes....
I remember the theater where I saw it. That theater is no longer open and has been torn down since.
I remember who I saw it with. Some young lady I was trying to impress back then
I remember laughing at some of the over the top humor but I found the mix with the tension had a perfect balance (unlike MR and TSWLM)
Here's to my favorite Roger Moore Bond: YOU ONLY GET BETTER WITH AGE

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Hear hear! I too like this film. 30 years? I first saw it on video way back in 1996.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    LALD , TMWTGG , OP ,& AVATK are his best when are the anniversaries for FRWL and LALD ? Don't tell me I've missed them :( ! I need to know the exact date for each of FRWL, LALD, OP . Thanks!
    LALD , TMWTGG , OP ,& AVATK are his best when are the anniversaries for FRWL and LALD ? Don't tell me I've missed them :( ! I need to know the exact date for each of FRWL, LALD, OP . Thanks!

But what of the excellent FYEO?
    Dragonpol wrote:

It bores me too easily I like the bit with Loques (?) though and the end and the start but the rest just bores me.
    Dragonpol wrote:

It bores me too easily I like the bit with Loques (?) though and the end and the start but the rest just bores me.

Well, it shouldn't really as it's very Flemingesque. Very close to the short story source material.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,341
    Dragonpol wrote:

Hope this helps :
    LALD 2013 = 40 YRS
    TMWTGG 2014 40 URS
    OP 2013 30 YRS
    AVTAK 2015 30 YRS
    FYEO 2011 30 YRS
    FRWL 2013 50 YRS

Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, it shouldn't really as it's very Flemingesque. Very close to the short story source material.

I always got confused with that one and OHMSS.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, there should be no confusion really as they are both faithful to Fleming and therefore both excellent in my book.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, there should be no confusion really as they are both faithful to Fleming and therefore both excellent in my book.

No when I was younger about 7 because I remember watching OHMSS then FYEO and must of thought it was the same films but hadn't seen it until last year again when I got it on DVD and I though the Italian fella died in OHMSS.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

No when I was younger about 7 because I remember watching OHMSS then FYEO and must of thought it was the same films but hadn't seen it until last year again when I got it on DVD and I though the Italian fella died in OHMSS.

I don't know if you mean to or not, but you quite often confuse me.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I don't mean too everyone say's that.
    Though I really don't rate OP, and if anything think it's the worst most tonally uneven film ever (a giant mess really), it is really lovely to see the official Bond website celebrating the movie:
    http://www.facebook.com/JamesBond007?fref=ts
    All this month there are new OP updates and so far there have been some great pictures posted.
    I like that the official channels are celebrating Bond's past as much as they are just hyping his latest film. It's a nice change.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I dont know if he means to or not, but quite often he irks me.

Anyway enough mocking the afflicted - OHMSS69 has it pretty much spot on for me.

OP is the quintessential Rog Bond - superb action and stunts, Rog on top effortless form, some good gags (although some poor) and the best bomb countdown in the series.

Whats not to like? Ok the Tarzan scene - I hold my hands up.
    Though I really don't rate OP, and if anything think it's the worst most tonally uneven film ever (a giant mess really), it is really lovely to see the official Bond website celebrating the movie:
    http://www.facebook.com/JamesBond007?fref=ts
    All this month there are new OP updates and so far there have been some great pictures posted.
    I like that the official channels are celebrating Bond's past as much as they are just hyping his latest film. It's a nice change.

It does indeed make a very nice change to see them promote an older film from the Bondian back catalogue. Thanks for providing that link.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,729
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Anyway enough mocking the afflicted - OHMSS69 has it pretty much spot on for me.

OP is the quintessential Rog Bond - superb action and stunts, Rog on top effortless form, some good gags (although some poor) and the best bomb countdown in the series.

Yes, he is a little irksome. OK in small doses.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

OHMSS is up there for me.

I would do best Bond films but it takes time.
    OP is a lovely film.
    Moore and Maud Adams has great chemistry
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    Louis Jourdan as Kamal Khan is a great villain. He has some great one liners: "You have the annoying habit of surviving." "Mr. Bond is a rare breed, soon to become extinct," and my favorite: "Oc-to-pussy, Oc-to-pussy."
    The climatic battle on the plane between Bond, Gobinda
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS
    like The Wizard says, "What is there not to like?"
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    Louis Jordan as Kamal Khan is a great villain. He has some great one liners: "You have the annoying habit of surviving." "Mr. Bond is a rare breed, soon to become extinct," and my favorite: "Oc-to-pussy, Oc-to-pussy."
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS
    The very last bit of the film! And I have seen some pictures or Wayborne but from the 80's not now because she's like 60.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    With mention of Wayborn, heres a thought thats never struck me before:

Do we think Q got a bit with the Octopussy girls and Magda whilst Bond is off hanging onto the aeroplane?

If he did good luck to the old bloke - it would make all those years of having his gadgets destroyed worthwhile.

Do we think Q got a bit with the Octopussy girls and Magda whilst Bond is off hanging onto the aeroplane?

If he did good luck to the old bloke - it would make all those years of having his gadgets destroyed worthwhile.

Yes I do think so Mr Ice (can I call you that now it sounds cool) lucky old Q!

Well Q did say "Later, perhaps!" so I guess it was a definite possibility.
  • Whenever I think of Octopussy and it's place in franchise history, the war with McClory and the release of NSNA always and immediately comes to mind.

Like the film or not, and I agree in part with @Pierce2Daniel that it is an uneven film with it's campier India first half becoming deadly serious in it's German second half, it had to deliver in order to put "the long shadow of Connery" to rest. And it did with that strong second half. It didn't have to be a classic to beat a poor TB rehash, but it was still easily the better release and proved once and for all that the past was the past.
    Whenever I think of Octopussy and it's place in franchise history, the war with McClory and the release of NSNA always and immediately comes to mind.

Like the film or not, and I agree in part with @Pierce2Daniel that it is an uneven film with it's campier India first half becoming deadly serious in it's German second half, it had to deliver in order to put "the long shadow of Connery" to rest. And it did with that strong second half. It didn't have to be a classic to beat a poor TB rehash, but it was still easily the better release and proved once and for all that the past was the past.

The German bit was the best.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    Louis Jordan as Kamal Khan is a great villain. He has some great one liners: "You have the annoying habit of surviving." "Mr. Bond is a rare breed, soon to become extinct," and my favorite: "Oc-to-pussy, Oc-to-pussy."
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS
    The very last bit of the film! And I have seen some pictures or Wayborne but from the 80's not now because she's like 60.

And Honor Blackman aka Pussy Galore is in her eighties so what's your point?
    Unless you are crossing the street and get hit by a herd of velociraptors you gonna be an old ugly fart one day too.
  • I rather like Octopussy. I don't think it is one of the absolute best Bond films but I think it's enjoyable and entertaining nonetheless.

Kamal Khan is one of my favourite Bond villains since he tends to come up with some interesting (and brilliant) one-liners when it comes to warnings and making remarks about people. I think I will be able to tell if I was in trouble if someone were to tell me that I have a 'nasty habit' or surviving for one thing. I think.

The pre-titles in my opinion are one of the best and definitely one of my favourites (although I do find Maurice Binder's title sequence rather disturbing; very acid trippy in my opinion). I love the way the film incorporates 'The Property of a Lady' into the plot, which I thought was nicely done (and it's one of my favourite short stories! :D). I always thought it was an interesting scene. The stunts on the train have me hanging on the edge of my seat. The plane fight is also a good scene.

Orlov however is one of my least favourite Bond villains because I found him rather irritating at times. Also, there were some pretty poor gags that were dotted around the film which nearly rendered it to the status of a children's cartoon. And that happens to be the main reason why I dislike The Man with the Golden Gun. Trains sending cars 'flying' over bridges? That sounds like a Thomas the Tank Engine story gone wrong in my opinion. I do however laugh heavily at the part where Bond does a Tarzan yell as he swings across the vines in the jungle (one of my favourite gags).

And yes, I do love a bit of Roger sometimes. Even if my top three Bond actors (in no particular order) are Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton, I always find Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond fun and entertaining. :)
  • Whoops. OF surviving I meant.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As far as entertainment value goes, Octopussy has it all. It really feels as if the team were taking hints from Indy and it pays off. It sets out to say from the very first action scene, "this is how you make a Bond film!" and doesn't really let up from that point on. Upon watching it last, I really did forget how good it was. Great villain, great action, great story and just a great film for Roger to go out on. Oh wait...

It's good of the official Bond website to celebate it's anniversary too, much respect to them for that. They shouldn't do that all month though, as Live And Let Die's 40th is coming up very soon.
  • Whoops. OF surviving I meant.

Not trying to get off on the wrong foot here with you, but to put a hack action star and a nobody short of one big break role like Lazenby in the company of the greats like Connery and Dalton, while calling perhaps the best villain in the Moore tenure "irritating" doesn't make sense to me at all. Berkoff's performance is that of a talented and accomplished actor who knows his character is supposed to be flamboyant and OTT, and he plays it to perfection.

Don't get me wrong here when I say this. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I agree with a lot of your post. But just in this past week I've read one poster who thinks George isn't wooden and underrated and doesn't understand why practically the whole Bond universe does. The answer is simple. George isn't an actor, and any one who knows a thing about acting knows it too. He's an action star like Chuck Norris, and he's about as bad too in all his wooden glory. Comparing George favorably to Connery, Dalton, Craig, or Moore is laughable in any stretch of reality, and for me really skews a poster's credibility when they make statements like they know what they are talking about when they don't. Even Brosnan's tick the box caricature is better than anything Lazenby has ever done, because I know the man can act and have seen it myself in and out of a Bond film.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    OP is a lovely film.
    Wayborne is smoking hot
    The Tiger hunt
    Great PTS

And Honor Blackman aka Pussy Galore is in her eighties so what's your point?
    Unless you are crossing the street and get hit by a herd of velociraptors you gonna be an old ugly fart one day too.

This is too damn funny :))
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Octopussy will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my absolute favorite Bond movie when I was young. I can't even begin to guess how many times I've seen it. As a young boy it truly had everything that I wanted from a Bond film. It had everything that I wanted from a film period.

As an adult I don't quite hold it in such high regard but it's still an entertaining ride nonetheless. I must say that I was surprised to discover that so many here love this film. Likewise it always surprises me when someone calls this the worst movie of the franchise. I am somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

Roger Moore will forever be my favorite Bond and to this day that little boy inside of me still giggles when I hear, "That's my little Octopussy." Wishing you a very happy 30th indeed my little friend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Happy anniversary to Octopussy!

Hey, STOP GIGGLING BACK THERE!

*clears throat*

Though it has many over the top moments, I can still enjoy it all the same. Orlov is a fantastic over the top villain and Berkoff is amazing in the role. Octopussy is a good Bond girl, I genuinely feel hurt when Vijay gets killed and the ending circus bit as Bond attempts to defuse the bomb is honestly quite suspenseful and chaotic! Not a favorite, but far from the worst. A happy 30 indeed!