Guardian UK article about Mendes' return

edited May 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 686
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/may/29/sam-mendes-james-bond-director#ixzz2UhaDsuXj

Wow, finally some one is gets it.

"The [Mendes] approach is not popular with Bond purists, and even the most ardent proponent would most likely admit to a little heartache when watching Skyfall: a sense of loss for the charismatic, macho 007 that once was."

If you disagree with me, instead of calling me names, please tell me why you disagree - thank you.

Comments

The author is strongly supportive of Sam Mendes' approach. In fact, it's right there in the headline: "Why James Bond is right to wait for the Skyfall director"

Here's the complete passage:

"The approach is not popular with Bond purists, and even the most ardent proponent would most likely admit to a little heartache when watching Skyfall: a sense of loss for the charismatic, macho 007 that once was. Yet Mendes brings Bond into the modern world in a manner that makes the character relevant again – no small feat. The approach has been so successful that the rival Bourne series, from which recent Bond has borrowed so much, has been left flailing in irrelevancy."

At any rate I have no idea what a "Bond purist" is, but the thing I love about the Craig era is that it's brought back the charisma and masculinity of the Connery/Dalton films and Fleming novels.
    my problem with Skyfall is not what was listed above but namely this.

outside of the climax taking place at bond's home name me one thing throughout the film that is inherently Bond.

I mean the film is really all about M her stuggles her villain from the past Bond is just well a mean to an end to tell M's story. While Dame Judi Dench is a brilliant actress and I had no problem with the over use of her in Quantum (because its still largely Bond's story) here it just feels we could of watched any agent and the film (save for the climax) would of largely been the same. Not saying Bond 24 will be Fiennes M's story the film may very well be about Bond again (I hope it is) but in my opinion Bond felt largely like a guest star in M's movie with Skyfall. Still a good film I love the opening sequence and the stuff in Macu is amazing and China and even the underground London stuff is cool but did anyone else feel it was largely M's story? I mean lord knows some on here think I am already nuts for loving Quantum of Solace lol.