Are there any Bond films where you like the first half much more than the second or vice versa?

edited May 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 63
For example I like the first half of these movies more:

TMWTGG
MR
TND
DAD

I then like the second half of these much more:

YOLT
OHMSS

Comments

• Agree with MR and DAD, disagree with the rest. I add TWINE to the list whose second half suffers compared to the first.

Examples of those films whose second half I enjoy more are QOS and OP.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This thread didn't go anywhere in it's day but on the whole, the first half of the films are almost always better:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2414/first-half-or-second-half
    I think TND has a great opening half with espionage and story till right after the newspaper chase. Then it is a combo of action scenes that are too long and a poorly shot finale. YOLT has a boring 1st half as OHMSS picks up the emotion and had great action in the second half after the slow moving first half
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Most of all, DAD, for sure first half way better than the second half.
    Also, MR and TWINE. But the strongest example for me is DAD.

Second half better? Maybe OHMSS, but it is not a favorite of mine anyway.

I like all of TND and most other Bond films are sort of evenly liked/disliked throughout by me.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Films i thought the first half was better than the second half, these include movies i would not necessarily rate highly.

DAD
    TSWLM
    TND
    SF
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Movies where the first half is great and the second falters to varying degrees:

GF
    YOLT
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    MR
    AVTAK
    TND
    And especially DAD
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I would say that
    YOLT
    DAF
    TSWLM
    TLD
    TND
    would be the best examples to me of "second half syndrome". Besides DAF, the rest of them don't necessarily have bad second halves. Just certainly lackluster compared to what came before it.
    Films to me are consistantly good or consistantly bad all the way through.

DAD has no good first half. Its shite all the way through. The avalanche of crapola starts with the gunbarrel and the bullet travelling up it. Then its an unrelenting barrage of foul smelling excreta to the very last frame.
    DAD, SF and TND started off stronger than they finished and I don't think OHMSS really gets brilliant until the second half.
  • Diamonds are Forever and Die Another Day are the two biggest examples of the first half being better than the second half. The same is true, to a lesser extent, with The Man With the Golden Gun and Moonraker.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Skyfall are probably the best examples of the other way around.

• edited May 2013 Posts: 2,483
    DN--1st half
    FRWL--2nd half
    GF--1st half
    TB--2nd half
    YOLT--equal
    OHMSS--2nd half
    DAF--1st half
    LALD--1st half
    Gun--2nd half
    Spy--2nd half
    MR--1st half