'Body Of Work' Bond Actor Reviews/Ranking

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited May 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
This is NOT who is your favourite actor, or what are your favourite films, but rather judge the actor's body of work on many factors including diversity of stories, tones, production in general, actor characterization, music, and more- the whole deal.
This is entirely subjective- just your personal impressions.

Here's my ranking:

#1 Connery- his movies are so rich in production, lush music, and varied tones & stories. This group of Bond movies, as a body of work, might never be equalled.

#2 Craig- while I won't pretend that Craig is my second favourite actor, I have to rank his body of work in these movies at #2 simply for the lavish productions, the extremely varied tones, and the fierce commitment of Craig himself to these projects (even though there are only three so far).

#3 Brosnan- from quite serious (GE) to absolutely OTT (DAD) this group has the greatest tonal diversity of the lot IMO. Inconsistent stories, yet vastly entertaining as a section in the series.

#4 Moore- Some might site the greatest diversity in his long run, but there was a 'similarness' in most of his movies IMO- a smirky playboy quality that he only occasionally broke free of (but when he did it was glorious). Production and music-wise, there is wide variation, and I was tempted to switch 3 & 4 here if not for Brosnan's overall more serious take on the character of Bond & generally higher production value on his films.

#5 Dalton- My favourite Bond in my two favourite Bond movies, yet as a body of work given the parameters I set in place above, I can't possibly rate it any higher.

#6 Lazenby- No matter that it's one of the best Bond movies of the Sixties, it's just one movie.

So, how would you rate them?

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) Connery - Simply because he defined the role and set the standard for everyone else who would follow. His films were groundbreaking and then evolved into more epic and fantasy based convolutions. His last official film laid the foundation for the campy humor that would follow. He was the pioneer. The franchise as we know it would not exist without him.

2) Moore - I was very tempted to put him at the top spot. No other actor has been in a more diverse amount of films. He had the unenviable task of following Connery and he not only pulled it off but was able to create his own persona and defined Bond to a whole new generation. What other actor can claim to be in a blaxploitation flick, a sci fi epic and a Raiders of the Lost Ark inspired action adventure film? The franchise learned to adapt to the times and survive in the Moore era.

3) Dalton - Only two films under his belt but wow... how crucial they were! His first movie took the character back to his roots but in a way never attempted before. An old school espionage thriller that also pushed Bond forward into the late 80's. His second movie was something that we had never before seen from a Bond film and laid the foundation for the present Craig period.. This was the transition from classic to modern as it marked the end of the original era.

4) Craig - Number 4 for now. We'll see how it all shakes out. He was the catalyst for a franchise that reinvented itself. These movies have always been reinventing themselves of course but never have we seen such a bold and radical shift as we did with this reboot era. He might just be the best actor of them all and his films have both taken the character back to his roots while breaking new ground and pushing Bond into the 21st century. Michael and Barbara found themselves in this era and finally created their Bond with these movies.

5) Brosnan - He served an important role in helping to resurrect the franchise in 1995 and proving that Bond was still a viable commodity after an unheard of six year hiatus. However, you can see that the new producers were really struggling to find their way in a post Cubby world. After a promising start things just kept regressing until we hit rock bottom in 2002. I am not sure if they were trying too hard or not hard enough. This era was inconsistent but entertaining nonetheless.

6) Lazenby- Obviously.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Nicely done, pachazo!!!