Who could've done a Bond theme?

Comments

Orzabel had/has power plus sensitivity IMHO, great call
    Lana Del Rey.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 676
    Siouxsie and the Banshees or Bjork would have been good in the '90s.
    BJork would have teamed up well with David Arnold a la Play Dead.
    'All Time High' gets a bad press around here. Have to admit its one of my favorites.
    Heard it on the radio yesterday! Still good! Certainly prefer it to more commonly liked themes like Nobody Does it Better and Goldfinger.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • shobairshobair London
    edited March 2017 Posts: 85
    Principles of composing a great music is knowledge about composing spy music . for example : You Know My Name
    SkyFall
    Writing on the wall .
    but Another Way to Die was'nt composing good for Quantom of solace
    Kate Bush
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm still waiting for someone like Melissa Etheridge...or a second coming of k.d. lang. (Disclaimer: I don't care at all about their sexual preference. They just make the kind of powerful vocal music I like to have as a Bond theme, and k.d. was unfortunately cheated out of it regarding TND, in spite of probably delivering one of the two or three best Bond songs ever.)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Depeche Mode, even now, the new album really surprised me, I'm a fan so anything new is great but Spirit could be their best album in decades.

Dave Gahan has got such a great voice and would lend brilliantly to a Bond theme.
    Agreed. They were offered the job in 1999, but declined.
    I think the days of established bands and artists getting the job is over. EON will be looking for the flavour of the time from now on.

You might get Adele back at some point due to her being so massive star but whoever is selling loads will get the job next time.

The Sam Smith appointment was just that, it will be whoever is in his position come Bond 25.

A real shame but I always knew being a fan as long as I have that at some point it would get this way and I wouldn't really be that informed about the new pop artists now.

I don't go looking for music on the internet I'm a vinyl man and most of commercial music turns me cold so I imagine the next theme will probably have the same affect on me that Wailings On The Wall had.

I hope this isn't the case but the last 2 appointments seem to suggest it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,954
    We've had two ballads, time for something up tempo and bold.
    talos7 wrote: »
    We've had two ballads, time for something up tempo and bold.

I agree but if the flavour of the month around Bond 25 is a balladeer don't be surprised if we get another one.

Writing On The Wall was insignificant to the plot of SPECTRE but they still went with that as a subject to base the song around, it made perfect sense with Skyfall but SP it just felt like an excuse to have the biggest artist of the time do the theme.

Unfortunately it seems EON are being led by the press and the general public when it come to choosing artists I don't imagine it's a trend that is going to change, seeing they've had 2 back to back Oscars and their first UK no. 1 on the back of it.

lady Gaga could do something the is both soulful and edgy.
    I am an immense ABC fan and consider Lexicon of Love one of the few perfect albums; they could have don a killer theme. With that said, I was not crazy about the Arnold/Fry cover of Thunderball
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran comments on possibly doing a Bond track. I'd be open. I'll admit to having a soft spot for Sing.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/james-bond-007/news/a822426/ed-sheeran-would-love-to-do-james-bond-song-but-will-it-happen/

I don't mind him on the whole, but he just doesn't seem quite right for the kind of music Bond themes usually are.
    Portishead absolutely should have done one in the Brosnan days. Sour Times and All Mine are basically archetypal Bond themes (aside from a little electronic percussion in All Mine)
    Goldfrapp has a new album out. They still have a sound that would fit Bond.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Goldfrapp has a new album out. They still have a sound that would fit Bond.
    I think they would have been a good choice maybe ten year's ago, but their allure has waned somewhat since then. It's a tough one choosing a new artist for Bond, especially when there are so few modern acts that don't fall into the one-hit-wonder category. Beyond Adele, there's Ed Sheeran, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, etc. Nobody that makes me salivate or eager to hear their song in a Bond movie. Ok, I might give Rihanna or Katy Perry a pass but that's about it.

Judging by the recent selection process, EON will be picking a very current modern artist who'll at least guarantee them a Number 1 chart position and is down with the kids. Sadly, that'll mean one of the above, or similar, and not an inspired choice from a previous decade.
    Siouxsie and the Banshees. Their moody style would have been very fitting for a Dalton film.

"Dazzle" could have been a great Bond theme-