Is Fleming still relevant in Bond Movies?

edited May 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 686
In 1989, 2006, and 2012 we were told by the producers that Bond was going to return to his "Fleming roots". Unfortunately , this was not case in my opinion. Other than using the names and selected scenes, I have yet to see anything that I would consider closer to the Fleming roots.

I thought the final 3 movies by Moore were probably more Flemingesque in nature. These films were closer to the nature of Fleming's work. Moore's performance at times in TSWLM and MR, despite the extravagate plots, were Flemingesque. Dalton's performance in TLD, I thought was closer to Fleming-Bond, probably the most Flemingesque since 1969.

In this age of literary classics such as "Twilight", "Fifty Shades of Grey", and classic movies such as the "X-men" and "Bourne" movies, does Fleming still matter?

Are people interested in the literary roots, if not, why bother to pretend?

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 172
    Perdogg wrote:

I thought the final 3 movies by Moore were probably more Flemingesque in nature. These films were closer to the nature of Fleming's work.

how come the final 3 movies by Moore were probably more Flemingesque in nature?
    Perdogg wrote:
    Moore's performance at times in TSWLM and MR, despite the extravagate plots, were Flemingesque.

do you mean raise an eyebrow and make idiotic one-liner were flemingesque?

btw what definition Flemingesque to you?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Troll alert.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Troll alert.

Wrong, Ice. He's not a troll. Very interesting poster from AJB, actually. He knows his stuff, plus he's a member of The Bondologist Blog - such great taste and style!
    Perdogg wrote:
    In 1989, 2006, and 2012 we were told by the producers that Bond was going to return to his "Fleming roots". Unfortunately , this was not case in my opinion. Other than using the names and selected scenes, I have yet to see anything that I would consider closer to the Fleming roots.

I thought the final 3 movies by Moore were probably more Flemingesque in nature. These films were closer to the nature of Fleming's work. Moore's performance at times in TSWLM and MR, despite the extravagate plots, were Flemingesque. Dalton's performance in TLD, I thought was closer to Fleming-Bond, probably the most Flemingesque since 1969.

In this age of literary classics such as "Twilight", "Fifty Shades of Grey", and classic movies such as the "X-men" and "Bourne" movies, does Fleming still matter?

Are people interested in the literary roots, if not, why bother to pretend?
    FYEO was the only Moore film which came close to Fleming (mainly because it relied heavily on the Risico/FYEO short stories, and a scene from LALD.)

OP and AVTAK had very little to do with Fleming (other than the Fabrege egg auction scene in OP). Craig's last 3 movies feel far more closer to Fleming than anything Moore ever did, with the exception of FYEO.

CR is as close to its source as OHMSS or FRWL. Quantum admittedly does not rely on any source material, but there are many moments which feel far closer to Fleming (the hard edge, a gloomy Bond getting drunk on the plane, the Tosca scene, the ending in the desert, Bond not ending up with the girl, etc.)

And SF feels very much like Fleming could have written it. The opening to SF is the closest we've had yet to the ending of YOLT and the beginning of TMWTGG, and its very apparent the film is using these books as source material. The villain has echoes of Scaramanga too.

I'm amazed you think OP and AVTAK are closer to Fleming than Craig's 3 films (particularly CR). Had it not been for someone on here saying you knew your stuff, my immediate reaction was that you were a troll - this is how ridiculous your comments are.

• Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    Theres that trademark MI6 community tolerance and understanding. Not everyone will share your same opinion.

Getover it.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,798
    Yes, give perdogg a chance! I thought we wanted to encourage more members here that have defected from the frankly awful CBn and AJB. I know I have.

Not everyone is a troll - look elsewhere. perdogg is NOT a troll. In fact, he's one of the more erudite members of the online Bond fan community.

So much for a warm welcome and all that...
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Theres that trademark MI6 community tolerance and understanding. Not everyone will share your same opinion.

Getover it.
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, welcome perdogg. This forum is much better than AJB! I'll say that now.
    Regardless of the OP's provenance and intentions, I cannot agree with him in the slightest. CR and SF are two of the more Flemingesque Bond films in the canon. In fact, I was thinking just this morning how Flemingesque is the scene in SF where, after the frolic with the Latina, Bond crushes a pill between his teeth and rather sneers at himself in the mirror. A classic Fleming touch if there ever was one.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I was welcoming Bradford4 seeing as he is a newbie, but I'll welcome Perdogg too. He may have bizarre, crazy opinions on what is Flemingesque, but I'll still welcome him anyway.
    Regardless of the OP's provenance and intentions, I cannot agree with him in the slightest. CR and SF are two of the more Flemingesque Bond films in the canon. In fact, I was thinking just this morning how Flemingesque is the scene in SF where, after the frolic with the Latina, Bond crushes a pill between his teeth and rather sneers at himself in the mirror. A classic Fleming touch if there ever was one.

Agree 100% PK.

Agreed. That's why they're so high on my list!
    Dragonpol wrote:

I was welcoming Bradford4 seeing as he is a newbie, but I'll welcome Perdogg too. He may have bizarre, crazy opinions on what is Flemingesque, but I'll still welcome him anyway.

Well, it's only right. Don't get perdogg started on who the Bond of the books works for, though! I want to co-author an article with him on it if he'll let me. He believes that it's the MoD, not MI6 and he has the quotes to stand over it! It's great to have him on MI6 and BaB.
  • I must say that Willy makes some excellent points regarding CR in particular that makes Perdogg's opinion in this matter highly suspect. Except for some updates where the material had become dated, we got the best adaptation of an original Fleming work since 1969 and I can't see how anyone who has read the novels could argue otherwise.

The Craig era is easily and by far more Flemingesque than Moore's, in myriad ways. And Fleming absolutely does and always will matter as far as the Broccoli family is concerned, as they've stated many times they pay attention to what he created and always return to his ideals whenever in doubt.
    I must say that Willy makes some excellent points regarding CR in particular that makes Perdogg's opinion in this matter highly suspect. Except for some updates where the material had become dated, we got the best adaptation of an original Fleming work since 1969 and I can't see how anyone who has read the novels could argue otherwise.

The Craig era is easily and by far more Flemingesque than Moore's, in myriad ways. And Fleming absolutely does and always will matter as far as the Broccoli family is concerned, as they've stated many times they pay attention to what he created and always return to his ideals whenever in doubt.

This is why I originally thought Perdogg was a troll, but seeing as he's vouched for on here by another member, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Yes, he's safe, though there are of course trolling members that continue to get away posting on here. I'm not naming any names.
    Perdogg wrote:

Didn't have a problem with his opinions on Fleming (apart from them being wrong) but it was this paragraph that set the spidey sense tingling. If he's being ironic then perhaps put 'literary classics' in inverted commas as it was lost on me.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @jetsetwilly you're back <:-P I knew you wouldn't be away for long.

Welcome to the new members, this forum is usually a very nice place but we have been enduring terrible troll attacks so I think everyone is a bit over-sensitive and alert.

Concerning the OP, I couldn't disagree most however. I agree that FYEO is very Fleming, it's an amazing film and the best Moore in my opinion. I have a soft spot for OP because it's so enjoyable but there is little Fleming in there. AVTAK, on the other hand, is almost embarrassing and Fleming is nowhere to be seen.

CR, as much as there are moments in there that make me cringe, is ultimately very true to the source material. QoS doesn't retain anything from the original short story however has a very fleminguesque mood, just like @jetsetwilly very eloquently put it. Drunk, moody Bond, not getting the girl in the end, bird with one wing down, revenge, political intrigue. SF couldn't have been written by Fleming, in my opinion. It takes so much from YOLT and TMWTGG novels, someone else in another thread (I'm afraid I can't remember who) the PTS reminds of FAVTAK short story.

Of course the literary Bond and Fleming is relevant now. I would go even further and say it's more relevant now than ever because the literary character is much more fascinating than the cinematic one we've had for so many years. It's just like Sherlock Holmes, for years (a century, damn) Holmes and Watson were turned into crowd pleasing characters devoid of the original charm of the literary ones. Now they are being brought back and that makes it all the more successful. The audiences might look dumb, but there is a big chunk that craves for the real thing and that won't be pleased by raising eyebrows and winks at the camera.
    Perdogg wrote:

Didn't have a problem with his opinions on Fleming (apart from them being wrong) but it was this paragraph that set the spidey sense tingling. If he's being ironic then perhaps put 'literary classics' in inverted commas as it was lost on me.

Yes, I think this was irony. I hope it was irony...
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Wel you're the one defending him old son!! It's not like he's covered himself in glory in the rest if the post.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Wel you're the one defending him old son!!

It looks like his original faith is failing him.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

That's cos, as I said above, I know perdogg. He's a valued member of my blog.
    Sandy wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

It looks like his original faith is failing him.

Not a bit of it. Old Faithful there!
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I know perdogg. He's a valued member of my blog.

Hmmm.

Dismissing CR over TSWLM and MR as being less Flemingesque?

Not sure if he means the tone of the film it the performance of the lead actor but either way pretty 'eccentric' is the kindest I can say.

That's the closest I will go to being welcoming to a new member espousing such views - but don't take it personally perdogg as I am notoriously miserable.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Hmmm.

Not sure if he means the tone of the film it the performance of the lead actor but either way pretty 'eccentric' is the kindest I can say.

That's the closest I will go to being welcoming to a new member espousing such views - but don't take it personally perdogg as I am notoriously miserable.

That I know, plus you badmouth my precious Never Send Flowers, you bad man!!

I'll make a believer of you yet, you mark my words!
    Dragonpol wrote:

Hmmm.

I think I was more shocked at the opinion of AVTAK being far closer to Fleming than CR. Like you said, eccentric is probably the kindest thing we can say about such radical opinions.
    But why not welcome radical and revisionist opinions on MI6? I think we need to strive for different views as a parliament of Bondian opinion. You accepted an old eccentric like me for instance! You know better than me my pro-Never Send Flowers views. Well, I know Ice does!

Agree 100% PK.

Make that three.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    But why not welcome radical and revisionist opinions on MI6. You accepted an old eccentric like me for instance! You know better than me my pro-Never Send Flowers views. Well, I know Ice does!

I'm all for radical opinions, but when something is so clearly way off the mark (AVTAK being closer to Fleming than CR), then I'm afraid its hard to understand that POV from any possible perspective. The only real conclusion you can draw from such outlandish opinions is that this person has never read any Fleming.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    But why not welcome radical and revisionist opinions on MI6. You accepted an old eccentric like me for instance! You know better than me my pro-Never Send Flowers views. Well, I know Ice does!

I'm all for radical opinions, but when something is so clearly way off the mark (AVTAK being closer to Fleming than CR), then I'm afraid its hard to understand that POV from any possible perspective. The only real conclusion you can draw from such outlandish opinions is that this person has never read any Fleming.

Yes, but I can assure you that perdogg has.