Best Action Sequence of the Brosnan Era?

edited April 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 28
Brosnan, top Bond and I believe had a fairly decent amount of action throughout his tenure, but what was your favourite action sequence with him as Bond?

I think the whole Caviar factory shoot out in TWINE was my fave. Always think Bond Vs. Helicopter scenes are brill and this one was amazing!

Comments

Tank chase - hands down, closely followed by the boat chase. You can see a lot of effort went into them and they were REAL.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Tank chase - hands down, closely followed by the boat chase. You can see a lot of effort went into them and they were REAL.

Can't argue with that. The caviar factory was clearly done on a set and felt a bit choreographed.

The tank chase and boat chase were done on location and for the tank chase in particular to film in St Petersburg at that time was a minefield of logistics and bureaucracy to negotiate.

Lets not forget the bungee jump as well and indeed the initial stunt as the bike goes over the cliff.
    Tank Chase

The Boat Chase in TWINE

The Hoverboard Chase in DAD was pretty good
    BAIN123 wrote:

I agree.That tank chase was amazing.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love the motorcycle chase in TND; one of my favorites. But yes, the whole PTS of TWINE is truly great fun and very well done.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited April 2013 Posts: 578
    TWINE PTS
  • TND parking lot chase
    Twine pts is the exceptional one
    actonsteve wrote:
    Twine pts is the exceptional one

Can't give the boat chase the nod over the tank chase I'm afraid. The whole scene with the boat driving down the street ruins it for me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2013 Posts: 17,785
    I'd forgotten but the tank chase in GoldenEye was indeed most excellent.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

Can't argue with that. The caviar factory was clearly done on a set and felt a bit choreographed.

The tank chase and boat chase were done on location and for the tank chase in particular to film in St Petersburg at that time was a minefield of logistics and bureaucracy to negotiate.

Lets not forget the bungee jump as well and indeed the initial stunt as the bike goes over the cliff.

I tend to think of the bunjjee jump as more of a "stunt" than an action scene.

Portions of the tank chase were done on a set too but that doesn't matter IMO. It was still choreographed brilliantly and you can't really notice the difference.

Favourite part of the boat chase though is when the clampers are drenched. Will never forget the reaction that got in the cinema.
    Best moment is in the TWINE PTS, when he jumps out of the window and the Bond theme kicks in. That's a brilliant moment.

The best action scene is probably the tank chase or the boat chase.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Best moment is in the TWINE PTS, when he jumps out of the window and the Bond theme kicks in. That's a brilliant moment.

The best action scene is probably the tank chase or the boat chase.

I like that smaller stunt scene too, but in a bigger Bond it simply vwasn't enough hence the boat scene. It would have fitted right in in the Thunderball PTS. Funny how things change, and a little sad too.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Tank coming through the wall in GE and the Q-Boat spinning over the Cigar Girl's speeder are the definitive action set piece stunts of the Brosnan era for me, with the Motorbike jump over the helicopter blades in TND coming close behind.

The Dam jump is exceptional too but not much happens either side of it for it to be counted as an "action moment".
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The parking lot car chase in TLD is my favourite action moment in the Brosnan era.
  • i liked the TND BMW car chase as well. The tank chase is a close second though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The tank chase wins but only that and the boat chase are worth considering, in my opinion.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I tend to think of the bunjjee jump as more of a "stunt" than an action scene.

Thread title is 'Action Moment' not 'Action Sequence'. Keep up Bain.
    The Dam jump is exceptional too but not much happens either side of it for it to be counted as an "action moment".

How are you defining 'moment' exactly then? A bloated 15 minute sequence like the TWINE PTS?

In fact counting the tank chase or boat chase a whole isn't even valid for this thread unless the original poster wants to change it to 'Action Scene' or 'Action Sequence'?
  • I have always really enjoyed the PTS of TND. I would consider this the best action moment of the BROSNAN era. That accompanied with David Arnold's score is a true highlight of the Brosnan era. Actually there are a lot of well excecuted action moments in TND. TWINE has what I would consider the worst action moments of the entire series. Its as if the action unit were asleep during that film - maybe apart from the PTS.
    I think we know which action moment WON'T feature in this list :))
    The fight between Bond and 006 atop the satellite dish in GE.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 5,745
    For 'moment', I'd pick the scene of Bond cooly escaping out of the banker's office in the PTS of TWINE. It was.. blinding B-)

For 'sequence', I'd pick the GE tank chase. So fun, so fantastic. I don't like the reliance of the Q-boat in TWINE. I like how the tank is just a tank, and Bond uses it in a fashion only Bond would. I feel it's a very classic, almost Connery moment in GE.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 864
    Holding his gut in for DAD.
    I think the tank comes a close second action moment for me... Brosnan justmownednin that particular moment!
  • Holding his gut in for DAD.

You ain't right. I'm sorry, but :))

There are some great action moments for sure in this era, a lot to choose from. 00 versus 00 would have been my first choice but I thought the ending was a bit too contrived and unrealistic with Brozzer's mid-air flip on the dish ladder and Trevelyan still being alive when the rest of the dish crashed. The GE tank chase is pretty awesome for sure. As is the TWINE PTS and parahawk chase. But I'd have to go with the grand finale of TND. Just such a classic feel with Bond versus the baddies all wearing similar uniforms, the X factor of the competent Wai Lin, Arnold delivering Bondian music to fit, 60's fun with an update.
    As is the TWINE PTS and parahawk chase. But I'd have to go with the grand finale of TND. Just such a classic feel with Bond versus the baddies all wearing similar uniforms, the X factor of the competent Wai Lin, Arnold delivering Bondian music to fit, 60's fun with an update.

Have you lost your mind?

The para hawk sequence is plain dull whilst the TND finale with Bond running around the place with a machine gun in each hand gunning people down like the Terminator is just horrible.

TND has very good action up until that point and is overall an enjoyable entry but the last half hour really ruins what has gone before.
    As is the TWINE PTS and parahawk chase. But I'd have to go with the grand finale of TND. Just such a classic feel with Bond versus the baddies all wearing similar uniforms, the X factor of the competent Wai Lin, Arnold delivering Bondian music to fit, 60's fun with an update.

Have you lost your mind?

The para hawk sequence is plain dull whilst the TND finale with Bond running around the place with a machine gun in each hand gunning people down like the Terminator is just horrible.

TND has very good action up until that point and is overall an enjoyable entry but the last half hour really ruins what has gone before.

Agreed. Regarding "machine gun Bond" I think in GE they got away with the archive shootout because the sequence was was well directed and relitively short, but in TND it just goes too far.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I quite like the parahawk sequence. It's ridiculous but enjoyable and an original idea.

TND's finale was alright but I think it was too OTT. That's the main problem I have with TND. It's too action packed. It keeps cramming in more and more action scenes until the finale where it gets out of control.

If we're talking finale's then Brosnan's best is easily GE. As well as great action there's also some real tension and the fight with Alec is easily one of the best in the series imo.

But anyway, the topic is best action moment. Like I said, I think jumping out of the window in TWINE is the best.

EDIT: It actually is sequence now. Never mind. Tank chase it is then.

One really short moment but one I love is in GE towards the end. He's being shot at while doing something with a bomb and he casually flicks his head to the side as bullets slam into the wall next to him. Brosnan had lots of these moments, just little things that looked really cool.

It's in the trailer actually. At 0:48

I always liked the end of Tomorrow Never Dies to be honest. Thought Brosnan handled himself really well in those moments
    Quantum89 wrote:
    I always liked the end of Tomorrow Never Dies to be honest. Thought Brosnan handled himself really well in those moments

"Lets stay undercover" :D

I liked the sequence when he had his gun trained on Gupta.