Which Bond Villain Made the Biggest Impression?

edited April 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 28
Out of all the Bond Films, seriously, which villain made the biggest impression upon you and why?

Comments

Such a difficult choice. Dr. No maybe, or Red Grant? Or maybe more Rosa Klebb. I remember watching a preview of FRWL as a child and being terrified of her.
    I agree with you there she was one scary lady! I think for me Max Zorin, he was scary crazy
  • JRRJRR
    Karl Stromberg, he must, be considered for a high rating in this discussion; he was a superb villain, with one of his ultimate desires already achieved, by living in the ocean realm, secluded as well as protected inside his version of Atlantis, living under his own set of rules in his beautifully engineered and self-sufficient underwater lair.

This character was in a league of his own, a complete megalomaniac, with ice cold self control and the ability to scheme the unimaginable, and have the resources coupled with a self assured audacity to transfer the dreams of evil genius, from concept to a potent and ominous reality.

His supreme arrogance and certain ability to realise his desires created an ambiance of predetermined dismissal for anyone contemplating becoming his adversary.

Karl Stomberg in essence considered his position in the world as a winning and uncompromising force; only the similarly persistent Bond could hope to engage in a tactical war with such a fiend.

All of the bond villains are intriguing with their flawed but equally interesting dark personalities, but I like the villain Fleming created with the Stomberg character and how his mind ticks; the audience can admire his outrageous achievements on one hand and similarly find him chillingly disturbing on the other.

Stomberg was and still is a piece of James Bond memorable perfection.
    I'm curious to see if the villain who made the biggest impression is also not the favorite villain of anybody. Those two metrics strike me as rather coterminous.
    Well Max Zorin made the biggest impression on me, as I said he was crazy and scary in equal doses. When he sets alight city hall, I thought this villain might be Bonds match.... But Zorin certainly isn't my fave Bond villain.
    For me there are three . Goldfinger, he was so larger than life and so confident. Max Zorin for the same reason as Goldfinger, but he was infinatly more insane. And finally Silva, that charater just came out of nowhere.
    Blofeld takes the prize, shortly followed by Goldfinger...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My vote goes to Raoul Silva! He's a mix of Goldfinger and Scaramanga with a touch of Zorin. :P
    Oh and as a child, when I caught the second half of TB as a child, I was really scared of Largo. He too made a huge impression on me and he is one of my favorite villains today. Just like TB is the my favorite movie.
    Thunder ball is a great and very much underrated Bond film!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I always found Sanchez to be the most compelling to me. I still feel that he is the most realistic villain we'll ever have in a Bond film. The idea that there are possibly dozens of people out there like him scared me when I was younger.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I always found Sanchez to be the most compelling to me. I still feel that he is the most realistic villain we'll ever have in a Bond film. The idea that there are possibly dozens of people out there like him scared me when I was younger.
    Another thing I love about Sanchez is that while some villains treat their henchmen as expendable, he was all about loyalty, and as long as you treated him right he would do right by you. Kind of a godfather type aspect to him, really.

Scaramanga maybe. Christopher Lee is an imposing presence merely as an actor, or individual, but his character in 1974 as the main antagonist against Bond, was a memorable performance and one of the truly great adversaries of the franchise. Add to that some great dialog along the way (particularly with Bond, such as the dinner scene 'you work for peanuts etc'), and Lee was such a great screen presence. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be an outright winner for this thread piece but it's the name I first thought of, and see no reason to change
    My favorite: Blofeld in FRWL (and also in TB).
    That voice, his speach on Siamese fighting fish, the mystery that surrounds him... That's probably why I found dissapointing his portrayal in YOLT.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    That voice, his speach on Siamese fighting fish, the mystery that surrounds him... That's probably why I found dissapointing his portrayal in YOLT.
    Yes, and DAF. Let's face it, especially DAF!

The only Blofeld that really lived up to the voice and presence from the early Connery years was Telly, and sadly he never returned.
    0013 wrote:
    Yes, and DAF. Let's face it, especially DAF!

The only Blofeld that really lived up to the voice and presence from the early Connery years was Telly, and sadly he never returned.

Absolutely, there's a great continuation between TB's Blofeld and Telly, specially when he's first shot from a top camera and you can't see his face yet... An the when he appears you really could believe that he was that mysterious man with the cat in FRWL and TB.

And I didn't even wanted to mention Blofeld's in DAF, nor in FYEO...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Goldfinger and Telly's Blofeld. They have the two best "world threatening" scenes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Goldfinger and Dr.No
    Another thing I love about Sanchez is that while some villains treat their henchmen as expendable, he was all about loyalty, and as long as you treated him right he would do right by you. Kind of a godfather type aspect to him, really.

I am no big fan of LTK for many reasons, but this is one aspect of Sanchez that I like and that was really original: he does not kill Killifer, he holds his word and give him his money.
    Sanchez was a pretty scary villain for the reason which you said in that there are a lot of blokes out there like him. Always love how Bond disposes of him at the end and Sanchez's reaction just before Bond lights him up, it was as if Sanchez knew right then and there that for once he wasn't in control if the situation
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Charles Gray as Blofeld made the biggest impression on me. He's got a big build like Fleming's Blofeld and is about the right age, but what I really like is that he is just so damn smooth. He's camp but also quite menacing in tone. He's got a great dry wit ( I'm sure that's Tom Mankiewicz's contribution) and I do like the smart back-and-forths that he has with Bond. We get three of them. One as good as the next, but one of my favourite lines from Ernst here is "Making mudpies double-O-seven?" It's a funny line, but there is also no doubt, that Bond is in a pickle, with the boss's arival on the scene.
    What I also like about their exchanges in DAF, is that the two, well maybe just Blofeld, seem to revel in their history. Blofeld conveys a tone of respected adversary towards Bond, which has been well earned. Sean on the other hand, far less sentimental, does convincingly project that he would just like to kill the s.o.b. once and for all.
    Dr No made second biggest impression on me. What a scary dude. Lifted right from the Fleming pages, at least his chilling presence. And Pleasance as Blofeld was rather chilling as well, especially when they first meet.