What do you miss about Bond, that the older ones have and the new ones don't?

edited April 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 13
I know that they're attempting to go all serious on us but I do miss a good henchman, a despicable evil plan and a woman in a Bond film to actually survive to the end end credits (3 Craig films, only 1 leading female makes it to the end ALIVE, come on!)

So I decided to post my own script all available at the links underneath, including cast, just for fun of course.

Please feel free to comment, rip to bits, etc, underneath and I hope you a) enjoy it and b) It fills the gap as we all wait for the next Bond film.

http://mike-lambert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-therapeutic-joy-of-writing-bond.html - Bond script cast

http://mike-lambert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-therapeutic-joy-of-writing-bond.html - Bond script part 1

http://mike-lambert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-therapeutic-joy-of-writing-bond_4.html - Bond script part 2

and of course

http://mike-lambert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-therapeutic-joy-of-writing-bond_3.html - Bond script part 3.

And as I said at the beginning, as well as comments, what do you miss about Bond. Thanks, guys.

Comments

• edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I miss Timothy Dalton, John Barry, Ken Adams, Desmond Llewelyn and a proper gunbarrel at the start (this is something we could and should actually get back, it's been 14 years since we had a regular one ffs).
    What do I miss? Hmm... hmmm... hmmmm... Ok, can't think of anything, really. I watched Bond movies since I was a kid till I was middle-aged... and then really became a fan. :D So, basically I find Bond and his world far more interesting now than the way he/it used to be. On the other hand what was fun when I was 15 or whatever seems not much fun anymore.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moved to the proper section as this obviously isn't news.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Whyle i like to see Bond 25 in 2016, so long we get Bond 24 in 2014 not 2015 or worse 2016, Bond 25 in 2017 is a les of problem. With Bond 24 in 2014 it take 6 years for 2 movies since QOS. If there can do 2014 and 2017 atleast i am happy. After Bond 25 i don't mind to wait 5 years til the next one if DC not going to make a 6th one for 2019.
    Barry of course but that's a given. I miss an unrelated PTS. I want to know Bond is doing missions in between the films. Gives it more depth I think. Like he has a life outside the films and only the really big and important ones are filmed.

I wish there were some more Bond missions done in other media b/c I can't get enough of them. I've read some of the other authors besides Fleming and some of the video games are cool but why can't they do an official comic book or something in between films to fill out the space? That would be awesome!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Tho i like Craig, i can say for all of us that we miss the old Bond that doesn't shows his feelings and weaknesses in front of his enemies, that doesn't cries, that likes a good cigar. The Bond that likes to be cold-hearted.
    The only thing i miss is john barry. Newman did some great cues in sf but imagine the shanghai intro under jb

Other then that nothing. I love the new films. There is alot i dont miss about the old films.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Barry of course but that's a given. I miss an unrelated PTS. I want to know Bond is doing missions in between the films. Gives it more depth I think. Like he has a life outside the films and only the really big and important ones are filmed.

That. That is the thing I miss since... Since when was the last time a PTS was not related to the plot? OP I think.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    The_Reaper wrote:

That. That is the thing I miss since... Since when was the last time a PTS was not related to the plot? OP I think.

I think Tomorrow Never Dies had a mostly unrelated PTS. Gupta appears, but that's it.
    Ludovico wrote:
    The_Reaper wrote:

I think Tomorrow Never Dies had a mostly unrelated PTS. Gupta appears, but that's it.

Still, Gupta appears. And CR's PTS was not directly related to its plot.
    Tuulia wrote:
    Ok, can't think of anything, really.

Not even John Barry?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I thought OP's was related to the plot (dying clown, Faberge egg ...)

Anyway, if we can bring back those who have passed on:

#1 John Barry of course
    #2 Desmond as Q (even if he had to retire to a different role, any Desmond would be welcome)
    #3 is possible now: a rollicking, adventurous yet FUN PTS. Oh yeah!
  • Ludovico wrote:

Still, Gupta appears.

If you want to be that strict about it, FYEO and OP are the only Bond films EVER where the PTS is 100% unrelated. TB's PTS is referenced during the film with Bond's poker injury, and Blofeld's mention of Bouvar's death. GF features Bond meeting Goldfinger in FL because he was on his way home from his Mexico adventure (per the book).
    Those grand Barry scores
    The classic Gunbarrel (at the beginning!)
    The title of the next film at the end credits.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I thought OP's was related to the plot (dying clown, Faberge egg ...)

That's after the titles. The PTS is the Acrostar sequence.
  • Thanks y'all. Barry and unrelated PTS seems to be the most popular vibe I'm getting here.
    The 007 theme is what I miss most
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    2 years between every film. Oh, and Barry and Adam.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Tho i like Craig, i can say for all of us that we miss the old Bond that doesn't shows his feelings and weaknesses in front of his enemies, that doesn't cries, that likes a good cigar. The Bond that likes to be cold-hearted.

I would like to speak for myself, thank you very much, and I say stuff all that. I don't like when Bond is a one-dimensional bore. I like when he reacts realistically to his surroundings, feel pain, suffering, anger and more. Sean's films had that, as does OHMSS. It isn't until the 70s where Bond turned from a serious character into Bond "the celebrity" and all the substance was drained from his character, only present for a few fleeting moments where there was a glimmering hope, only to be squashed out with no remorse. Thank Fleming Tim came in during the late 80s to save us all, no matter how brief. And now we have Dan being true to classic Bond with his deep and 3-dimensional performances, the best we have seen yet with a talent, depth and commitment to the character unmatched.

And I sure don't understand this idea that Bond "likes to be cold-hearted", not at all. I think Bond finds the killing to be a necessary evil, something he must do if only to protect the realm and get the job done. We see across the series how he is affected by his work, the consequences of what he must do, and what it takes away from him because of that. He takes his job seriously and is protective of his close allies and M as his boss, so much so that he wishes to take the life of those that may inflict harm against them. He does this to Dr. No in payment for Quarrel, Grant for Kerim, Bouvar for his colleagues in TB, Sanchez for maiming Felix, Patrice for Ronson, and so on. But this isn't cold-heartedness just to be cold hearted or because he likes it. He knows his job and sees what must be done and demanded of him. And when someone crosses a line and hurts who he cares for, he won't stand down and let it happen: he will act for duty's sake. He knows that those same men he must kill would do the same thing to him if he gave them the opportunity, so he knows to always be on his guard and prepared to take a life if necessary. In his line of work it is those allies that make him successful. His boss steers him on the right path and is watchful over him, Q in association saves his life many a time with his gadgets and he and his colleagues all share the licence to kill under one fraternity of duty and defense. The teams behind him help Bond to survive and succeed in his mission, so when threats comes to one of them he comes out fighting as anyone naturally would if targets were placed on the heads of their loved ones.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I would like to speak for myself, thank you very much, and I say stuff all that. I don't like when Bond is a one-dimensional bore. I like when he reacts realistically to his surroundings, feel pain, suffering, anger and more. Sean's films had that, as does OHMSS. It isn't until the 70s where Bond turned from a serious character into Bond "the celebrity" and all the substance was drained from his character, only present for a few fleeting moments where there was a glimmering hope, only to be squashed out with no remorse. Thank Fleming Tim came in during the late 80s to save us all, no matter how brief. And now we have Dan being true to classic Bond with his deep and 3-dimensional performances, the best we have seen yet with a talent, depth and commitment to the character unmatched.

And I sure don't understand this idea that Bond "likes to be cold-hearted", not at all. I think Bond finds the killing to be a necessary evil, something he must do if only to protect the realm and get the job done. We see across the series how he is affected by his work, the consequences of what he must do, and what it takes away from him because of that. He takes his job seriously and is protective of his close allies and M as his boss, so much so that he wishes to take the life of those that may inflict harm against them. He does this to Dr. No in payment for Quarrel, Grant for Kerim, Bouvar for his colleagues in TB, Sanchez for maiming Felix, Patrice for Ronson, and so on. But this isn't cold-heartedness just to be cold hearted or because he likes it. He knows his job and sees what must be done and demanded of him. And when someone crosses a line and hurts who he cares for, he won't stand down and let it happen: he will act for duty's sake. He knows that those same men he must kill would do the same thing to him if he gave them the opportunity, so he knows to always be on his guard and prepared to take a life if necessary. In his line of work it is those allies that make him successful. His boss steers him on the right path and is watchful over him, Q in association saves his life many a time with his gadgets and he and his colleagues all share the licence to kill under one fraternity of duty and defense. The teams behind him help Bond to survive and succeed in his mission, so when threats comes to one of them he comes out fighting as anyone naturally would if targets were placed on the heads of their loved ones.

Well said Sir. You just forgot to mention that when X3MSonicX speaks on our behalf I am pretty sure there is a large percentage of us who also dont want to see Bond smoking cigars either. Morlands Specials with the 3 gold bands please.
  • Thanks y'all. Barry and unrelated PTS seems to be the most popular vibe I'm getting here.

Don't forget the gunbarrel at the start.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why are some people naming things that truly can never come back, like Barry's music and Desmond as Q? It makes more sense to me to name things that actually have the ability to pragmatically return to the series.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    classic-style gun barrel at start
    unrelated PTS (Yes, this would be great. Didn't realize how few we've had.)
    M briefs Bond, hands him the dossier then he's on his way
    more Bond girls, with one surviving until the end
    extra footage while the end credits roll (FRWL and TSWLM come to mind, but there are others)
    a good animal scare :P
    The unrelated PTS suggestion is tricky. I think EON like to get the story going ASAP so they connect the PTS to the main story that comes after to not only begin telling the story of the film right off the bat and to also insure that time is being managed relevantly where no minute is wasted moving forward the actual core plot of the film. I think an unrelated PTS would just feel out of place in the modern times we are in when it could just connect to the main plot, give the story a head start and manages the time to insure that the most time possible is spent shooting relevant material in regards to the story/main mission of the piece.
    Shoot me down if you must but I miss the classic elements of a Bond film, as mentioned the PTS, gunbarrell, jokey scene with Q, Bond theme blaring, memorable stunt that has never been seen before, Bond bedding everything that moves, call them cliches if you will but they are what made Bond the success it is today.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    James Bond. I have not seen him in the films for a few years.

But he says his name is James Bond so therefore he is James Bond :p
    i miss Brosnan...The Original Q (Better than the insult we have now)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:

And i'm Jennifer Love Hewitt's pool cleaner.

BAIN123 wrote:

so did David Niven....